It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

[quote name='ricci' timestamp='1449038262' post='12670480']
Hey Mark and others,

Long time reader of your advice on this thread and others. Good stuff. I've decided to test the Modus 130 and a few others if you have any suggestions. I play the Cobra Flyz Pro MB set with S400. I hit the ball in the center a lot. The feel with these shafts is just off. I like to work the ball both ways and high and low. With the s400 there's no complaints except feel (feels dead in anything but a knockdown) and I really have to make a big move to get it really high. 7Iron carry is 165-170. I took a few years off playing consisently due to back problems but my old set was Titeist 695 MB with the old rifle 6.5. Hit those great but didn't care for the clicky heads.

I have a really quick tempo but not a super agressive move on the way down. Nick Price kind of tempo. My miss is usually thin or a small hook. The 125 or 130 seem to fit the bill but coming from Dg I want to try something a little different so i got a 6 iron shaft in the 130S. I'm about 5'6" and play everything 1/2" short. Do you think this will be a big issue in butt trimming the 130? I'd prefer to play it straight in the 6 but I don't want to cut too much of the back end of the shaft off. From what I understand the butt in this shaft is key to performance. What do you think? Open to trying the 125s too. Mostly just looking for more feel and some more height when I need it. Is it tough to flights down the 130S? Thanks for listening and the information here has been really interesting and helpful.
[/quote]
Why not just order them short? put 7 or 8 iron shaft in the 6 instead of trimming? You can get all lengths off of golfworks site

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='ricci' timestamp='1449082146' post='12672242']
Not sure if I want to hard step them. I've heard they already play stiff in the 130S. I guess that is an option though if cutting too much weight from the butt is not an option.
[/quote]
130 is stiffest in the but, cutting 1/2 isn't going to really sway it all that much but you are cutting out the stiffest and heaviest part of the shaft. So you could see a slight change to SW to a normal 130 since you won't have as much counter balance. But 1/2" isn't all that much. Weigh the trim when you cut it, maybe a 2-4g? for that 1/2?? I don't know.

If you like S400 I'd say try the 125S first unless you really really want to get the ball up high. Playing them short, I'd say maybe 125S straight in, possibly hard-stepped to tighted up feel and lower spin.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

OH MAN!! Hit the Modus Tour 120 stiff's and x recently and was just BLOWN away by the feel of them. Consistency too. HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL, these are the smoothest iron shafts out there. No joke. It was shocking how smooth they were... like hitting some PX 5.5's, but even smoother. My C Taper's feel like crap compared to these Modus Tour 120's.

The dispersion and spin with them is simply fantastic as well. Wow... couldn't be more impressed...

I dont seem the benefits with there shaft compared to project X or KBS? is there a test or something out there.

[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Driver: GBB EPIC SUB ZERO 9.0 DRIVER[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Fairway: GBB EPIC 3 WOOD[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Hybrid: EPIC 2 HYBRID[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Irons: 4-PW APEX CF 16 COMBO[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Wedges: MACK DADDY FORGED CHROME WEDGES 52* 56* 60*[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 2[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]

[quote name='Low3' timestamp='1449095348' post='12673044']
I dont seem the benefits with there shaft compared to project X or KBS? is there a test or something out there.
[/quote]

As far as feel is concerned.. there is simply no comparison.. to me. They are the epitome of smooth. Some might think they are "soft", but holy smokes, they feel SOOOO smooth on shots. I was shocked...

I've played the 120 and have a set of MP-5 coming with 125 in them. I'll check in with my thoughts once I've played them.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

[quote name='speeder717' timestamp='1449095799' post='12673068']
Do we have any information on what tour players are playing what model of Modus? Just curious!
[/quote]
Back a few pages

Back in February I was fit into my AP2 714s with Modus 120 hardstepped 1x and loved them... Great control really smooth... I started working with PXG late July and they made up my first set matching my AP2 specs... Once again great feeling, really smooth and really good control.. I then went out to PXG for my staff fitting and we started with my 120's and I was really comfortable with that set up at the time and they suggested the 130.. I was really hesitant, never got along well with the project x shafts and then I hit the 130s and really liked my numbers and the flight.. Really impressed with the ball flight and dispersion.... I am no animal like many guys on here (or what many people say they are) when I am loose and swinging well my driver moves at 107 constituently and the 130 stiff is plenty for me... For people in question, go get fit properly, see your numbers and get what works the best...

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1449093537' post='12672946']
[quote name='ricci' timestamp='1449082146' post='12672242']
Not sure if I want to hard step them. I've heard they already play stiff in the 130S. I guess that is an option though if cutting too much weight from the butt is not an option.
[/quote]
130 is stiffest in the but, cutting 1/2 isn't going to really sway it all that much but you are cutting out the stiffest and heaviest part of the shaft. So you could see a slight change to SW to a normal 130 since you won't have as much counter balance. But 1/2" isn't all that much. Weigh the trim when you cut it, maybe a 2-4g? for that 1/2?? I don't know.

If you like S400 I'd say try the 125S first unless you really really want to get the ball up high. Playing them short, I'd say maybe 125S straight in, possibly hard-stepped to tighted up feel and lower spin.
[/quote]

Mark,

Appreciate the response. I'm gonna try a 125S in the 7 and a 130S in the 6 based on your advice. I'm really interested in the softer tip in the 130 and smooth feel. My main problem with the DG line is the feel (somewhat harsh) and my ballflight on a shot im purposely trying to hit high and far (esp 3-4-5-6) never reaches that super high flight that I got with the other clubs. Seems to just shoot up low with a lot of spin, reach a medium apex and stop hard. Might try a little strategic lead tape or could be the head also, these lofts may be stronger than my old Titleist mb. I now have a little project to work on for the winter and again, thanks for the great response. Hit em pure my man!

Ricc

[quote name='ricci' timestamp='1449119258' post='12674586']
Mark,

Appreciate the response. I'm gonna try a 125S in the 7 and a 130S in the 6 based on your advice. I'm really interested in the softer tip in the 130 and smooth feel. My main problem with the DG line is the feel (somewhat harsh) and my ballflight on a shot im purposely trying to hit high and far (esp 3-4-5-6) never reaches that super high flight that I got with the other clubs. Seems to just shoot up low with a lot of spin, reach a medium apex and stop hard. Might try a little strategic lead tape or could be the head also, these lofts may be stronger than my old Titleist mb. I now have a little project to work on for the winter and again, thanks for the great response. Hit em pure my man!

Ricc
[/quote]

If I could make the perfect shaft I would take a 125, I'd give it a touch less spin & launch in the low irons an a touch more spin and launch in the long irons. And maybe knock off 4-6g of weight while just slightly firming up the mid-section. I believe the 125 S and X are within 2g of each other cut weight (120 S vs. 122 X), it may be worth trying an Sflex hard-stepped in the long irons. Or soft-stepped X in the 3-5 irons. I never really tinkered too much with that. But I could use just a bit higher launch in the long irons also.

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1449163448' post='12675970']
[quote name='ricci' timestamp='1449119258' post='12674586']
Mark,

Ricc
[/quote]

If I could make the perfect shaft I would take a 125, I'd give it a touch less spin & launch in the low irons an a touch more spin and launch in the long irons. And maybe knock off 4-6g of weight while just slightly firming up the mid-section. I believe the 125 S and X are within 2g of each other cut weight (120 S vs. 122 X), it may be worth trying an Sflex hard-stepped in the long irons. Or soft-stepped X in the 3-5 irons. I never really tinkered too much with that. But I could use just a bit higher launch in the long irons also.
[/quote]These sound like what you're describing.

http://www.golfwrx.com/340508/kbs-releases-tour-fltd-iron-shafts/

@therealping

Just wanted to get some thoughts from fellow members and experts on the test results below. I'm in the market to change the Project X 95 flighted shafts on my current apex irons as I tend to over swing these and have a really fast tempo, so the idea is to go with a heavier shaft to smoothen out the swing a little. After briefly discussing with mark over PM, was interested in trying the 125S but was unable to find that to try anywhere around here and getting just one shaft is expensive. No one around here seems to have one to try. Reading so many pages, the closest was 105 S.

Initial thoughts, the shaft does felt much smoother compared to any of the DG series, that I tried, finally came down to Pxi 6.0 and 105S, personally I felt the pxi 6.0 a touch smoother IMO, it could be the slightly heavier weight. 105 S was light, unfortunately they did not have 120 or the 125. The flex on both were spot on for my swing speed. See the 7i chart below comparing the Pxi 6.0 and the 105S. Both had similar launch, but totally spin numbers and carry distances.

1. Based on the results, would you want to that extra distance when compared to the low spin or is that spin really low?

2. Which other ONE nippon modus would you recommend, so I can get my 7i re-shafted as there is no way to demo multiple options ?

3. Any other feedback or option is also welcome.

Thanks for the help and special thanks to mark for keeping this thread going and for all the info!

[attachment=3057246:IMG_1076 (1).JPG]

[quote name='GolferSim' timestamp='1449462715' post='12689382']
Just wanted to get some thoughts from fellow members and experts on the test results below. I'm in the market to change the Project X 95 flighted shafts on my current apex irons as I tend to over swing these and have a really fast tempo, so the idea is to go with a heavier shaft to smoothen out the swing a little. After briefly discussing with mark over PM, was interested in trying the 125S but was unable to find that to try anywhere around here and getting just one shaft is expensive. No one around here seems to have one to try. Reading so many pages, the closest was 105 S.

Initial thoughts, the shaft does felt much smoother compared to any of the DG series, that I tried, finally came down to Pxi 6.0 and 105S, personally I felt the pxi 6.0 a touch smoother IMO, it could be the slightly heavier weight. 105 S was light, unfortunately they did not have 120 or the 125. The flex on both were spot on for my swing speed. See the 7i chart below comparing the Pxi 6.0 and the 105S. Both had similar launch, but totally spin numbers and carry distances.

1. Based on the results, would you want to that extra distance when compared to the low spin or is that spin really low?

2. Which other ONE nippon modus would you recommend, so I can get my 7i re-shafted as there is no way to demo multiple options ?

Thanks for the help and special thanks to mark for keeping this thread going and for all the info!

[attachment=3057246:IMG_1076 (1).JPG]
[/quote]

Too easy

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp?pn=NP0015

@therealping

Nippon had better dispersion it looked like and that's what I want in my irons. I don't care too much about distance as long as they have good gapping.

Also I would want that little bit higher soon as the pxi seemed too low. Plus seven iron from 160ish out I want that thing to stop after a hop, not hop and roll out 10 yards

Forever Changing at this point.......

[quote name='GolferSim' timestamp='1449462715' post='12689382'] Just wanted to get some thoughts from fellow members and experts on the test results below. I'm in the market to change the Project X 95 flighted shafts on my current apex irons as I tend to over swing these and have a really fast tempo, so the idea is to go with a heavier shaft to smoothen out the swing a little. After briefly discussing with mark over PM, was interested in trying the 125S but was unable to find that to try anywhere around here and getting just one shaft is expensive. No one around here seems to have one to try. Reading so many pages, the closest was 105 S. Initial thoughts, the shaft does felt much smoother compared to any of the DG series, that I tried, finally came down to Pxi 6.0 and 105S, personally I felt the pxi 6.0 a touch smoother IMO, it could be the slightly heavier weight. 105 S was light, unfortunately they did not have 120 or the 125. The flex on both were spot on for my swing speed. See the 7i chart below comparing the Pxi 6.0 and the 105S. Both had similar launch, but totally spin numbers and carry distances. 1. Based on the results, would you want to that extra distance when compared to the low spin or is that spin really low? 2. Which other ONE nippon modus would you recommend, so I can get my 7i re-shafted as there is no way to demo multiple options ? 3. Any other feedback or option is also welcome. Thanks for the help and special thanks to mark for keeping this thread going and for all the info! [attachment=3057246:IMG_1076 (1).JPG] [/quote]

The spin is going to be primarily driven by contact location and your delivery angles, and not so much by the shaft. If they launch the same, and your attack angles are the same, you can expect the same spin from both shafts. There is no shaft trickery going on there. Your descent angles are roughly the same, and you have a few outliers there that are manipulating the spin average to look greater than it probably is in real life. You also have a few pretty good draws with the PXi which will lessen the dynamic loft and thrown down the spin a bit as well, and is also why the ball speed jumped up a bit on those two. Consistency does look better with the Nippon shafts though...overall.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1449483747' post='12689708']
[quote name='GolferSim' timestamp='1449462715' post='12689382']

[/quote]

Too easy

[url="http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp?pn=NP0015"]http://www.golfworks...t.asp?pn=NP0015[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks MJ, the only thing that worry's me would be the 128g weight on that shaft. But from what I understand reading the info here is that 125 should play lighter to the weight on paper. Just wished they had that option to try as well.

[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1449492472' post='12689848']
Nippon had better dispersion it looked like and that's what I want in my irons. I don't care too much about distance as long as they have good gapping.

Also I would want that little bit higher soon as the pxi seemed too low. Plus seven iron from 160ish out I want that thing to stop after a hop, not hop and roll out 10 yards
[/quote]

Thanks Papa J, it did. Point noted on the stopping factor from 160ish. But when you're in that bay hitting and seeing pxi numbers, you tend to ignore the the key points, if you know what I mean. Will update back with some more testing results.

[quote name='GolferSim' timestamp='1449498268' post='12690172']
Thanks @golfrnut. I'll try and put some impact tape on the face and test again. From what I could feel they were struck center-ish, still the numbers were low. My natural shape is a draw, with the light weight shaft I kind of over did it.
[/quote]

Draws tend to produce less spin because of the lower dynamic loft due to face that is closed to the path. Not uncommon to see a higher ball speed due to the higher compression, and less spin.

You also have to remember, that is a monitor, and they are not perfect. Spin is one of those things that's hard to get right, so you can expect variances just from that alone. There are a lot of variables in there to consider, which is what I was trying to point out. The shafts, by themselves, are lower on the list of causes.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Can anyone comment on the spin rate of the 120TX, the 125x, v. The 130x. When I tried the 120x, it spun too much, wondering if the TX would change that.. I have the 130x soft stepped and am just shaft hoing. Which more difficult than club hoing...also hoping and assuming the 125x does not play weak to flex like the 120x.....

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

[quote name='speeder717' timestamp='1449496877' post='12690090']
I think I would do well with the TS Prototype... Love the 130 but always like a little lighter... If I play a stiff 130 should I play a stiff in the TS Prototype or an X? I move my driver around 105-107, nothing more. Thoughts
[/quote]
It's ST Proto unless there is a new one I don't know about yet. The ST Proto is the exact shaft as the Tour105 so unless you want to feel special or PXG has ST Proto's in stock just go Tour105. As far as Flex, Tour130 plays a bit stiffer. Tour105 plays spot on. I'd say either hard-stepped Tour105 Stiff or Soft-stepped Tour105 X. I'd say hsx1 Stiff for smoother swinger, ssx1 Xstiff for later release hitter type.

Hey Mark or anyone else acquainted with Nippon's product line, quick question....

I just bought a set with the N.S. Super Peening Orange shafts in stiff. I'm currently playing DG R300's but those are too soft. Where would place the Nippon in the DG line, PX, or KBS?

I'm considering taking these apart and soft stepping them as I won't play the 4 iron anyways and could use the PW shaft in my Gap. I'd like to get close to a SS DG R300 or so. Thanks.

[quote name='Deuce78' timestamp='1449510194' post='12690988']
Can anyone comment on the spin rate of the 120TX, the 125x, v. The 130x. When I tried the 120x, it spun too much, wondering if the TX would change that.. I have the 130x soft stepped and am just shaft hoing. Which more difficult than club hoing...also hoping and assuming the 125x does not play weak to flex like the 120x.....
[/quote]
125 is not as soft as 120. Spin is different for different swings so it depends. I find 125 to be lower spin and launch than 120. I see it as lower launch than 130 and slightly more spin, but the spin is more noticeable since the ball is flighted lower. But I don't balloon either one.

120 is supposed to be lower initial launch, higher spin for climbing shot
125 is supposed to be mid launch and mid spin
130 is supposed to be higher launch with mid/lower spin
105 is supposed to be mid/high launch and mid spin

YMMV

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1449454942' post='12688904']

These sound like what you're describing.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/340508/kbs-releases-tour-fltd-iron-shafts/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...td-iron-shafts/[/url]
[/quote]
If they are higher launch and higher spin than KBS Tour I'm not even interested. Needs to be lower launch and lower spin than KBS Tour. Doesn't mean I won't waggle a few on the range if I get a chance but probably not interested.