Funny story "No jeans at the Country Club!"

Nice post Richard, reasonable as always.

It's funny that you mention " how you feel better about yourself depending on how're you're dressed". I've been in jeans or shorts so long I feel completely out of character in slacks. And God forbid I have to put on my suit (yes, suit, singular, just one. Funerals and weddings). I'm completely uncomfortable. I always joke that you can put a $500 dollar suit on me, but it's still a $5 body!

I actually have no problem with dress codes If they're in place, and I've actually never thought of it as snobbery or arrogance. It's just how that club operates. If I don't want to adhere, I don't have to play there.

The cargo shorts issue still baffles me though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1416584064' post='10483003']
[quote name='MyShortGameSucks' timestamp='1416582888' post='10482919']
I think most up-scale public tracks have no jeans, no cargos rules and require a collared shirt. I am thinking courses like Pinehills, Red Tail, Waverly, Granite Links, Crumpin Fox, Ledges etc I have not played nor know of Gannon so cannot comment on whether the no cargos rule makes sense or not. Personally I don't care if people wear them as long as the pockets don't bulge out too much!
[/quote]
I've worn cargos at Pinehills, Crumpin Fox, and The Ledges. No one said anything. I can only remember once having anything said about my cargos and that was at a small 9 hole course in N. Providence that my brother lives on - Louisquisset Golf Club. I had to put on a pair of my brother's shorts and hos waist is quite a bit larger than mine ...
[/quote]

At most discreet golf clubs, nobody would say anything to you. The member on the other hand would get a letter or a call about inappropriate guests. This has happened to me before where I had someone ask to play, unaccompanied, and they wore a mock turtleneck, in violation of the rules. I never said anything to the guest, and it wasn't a big deal, but I'm more careful about explaining the policies to guests now.

Some places will even have guest cards that explain the rules. Forget jeans or cargos, places like Merion and Cypress don't even allow rangefinders.

Safe to say, I would never show at any club (as a guest or member) in cargos or jeans for any reason. I usually ask if shorts are OK (most are, but some aren't). I'd also leave the cell phone in the car, and take the hat off when entering any structure that has a roof on it, including the pro shop.

I have a friend who constantly bitches about no-jeans policies. Is it really that hard to pull non-denim out of the closet in the morning?

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1416839900' post='10495921']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1416584064' post='10483003']
[quote name='MyShortGameSucks' timestamp='1416582888' post='10482919']
I think most up-scale public tracks have no jeans, no cargos rules and require a collared shirt. I am thinking courses like Pinehills, Red Tail, Waverly, Granite Links, Crumpin Fox, Ledges etc I have not played nor know of Gannon so cannot comment on whether the no cargos rule makes sense or not. Personally I don't care if people wear them as long as the pockets don't bulge out too much!
[/quote]
I've worn cargos at Pinehills, Crumpin Fox, and The Ledges. No one said anything. I can only remember once having anything said about my cargos and that was at a small 9 hole course in N. Providence that my brother lives on - Louisquisset Golf Club. I had to put on a pair of my brother's shorts and hos waist is quite a bit larger than mine ...
[/quote]

At most discreet golf clubs, nobody would say anything to you. The member on the other hand would get a letter or a call about inappropriate guests. This has happened to me before where I had someone ask to play, unaccompanied, and they wore a mock turtleneck, in violation of the rules. I never said anything to the guest, and it wasn't a big deal, but I'm more careful about explaining the policies to guests now.

Some places will even have guest cards that explain the rules. Forget jeans or cargos, places like Merion and Cypress don't even allow rangefinders.

Safe to say, I would never show at any club (as a guest or member) in cargos or jeans for any reason. I usually ask if shorts are OK (most are, but some aren't). I'd also leave the cell phone in the car, and take the hat off when entering any structure that has a roof on it, including the pro shop.

I have a friend who constantly bitches about no-jeans policies. Is it really that hard to pull non-denim out of the closet in the morning?
[/quote]

+1

So many folks seem to operate in a world where they don't understand that places (not just golf courses) have a dress code that requires 1) "appropriate attire" and 2) some general categories of clothing like jeans or tank tops or cargo shorts/shorts (to some places) simply aren't seen as "appropriate". Do these people ONLY wear jeans? LOL But I'm getting old. When I was a kid we'd go to church every sunday and "sunday best" meant hard uncomfy shoes, a suit that was too itchy, a shirt that choked me, and a tie...ugh!!! Worse still I had to comb my hair and put Vitalis in it that made it hard and smelled like my dad. LOL But I did it. Today if you go to church - even I don't wear the "old fashioned stuff" - and I'm more current. Although there are guys who you see have come from or are going to play golf....where the best I can say is "at least they aren't dragging actual divots into church". :)

To any of you who don't like dress codes or are surprised - here's a suggestion that I have followed myself for years:

1) if you are going to a new golf course you've never played - CALL THEM and ask if they have a dress code.
2) it saves you from personal embarrassment and inconvenience and gives you time to prepare, or the opportunity to say "no" earlier.
3) MOST importantly - it saves you from embarrassing your host. Under any circumstances, that isn't going to help your relationship with him in any meaningful way. :)

Things change over the course of several generations,and I think we may be in the midst of such a time now...........I wonder how many of us would be playing golf in the summertime

wearing a dress shirt and tie.......I know several clubs with dress codes that I find a little restrictive.I don't consider it to be snobbery,just their rules., I choose to wear more casual clothing,

so I don't play at those courses.as Pepper Turbo says:.the members want those rules,and want them enforced...its THEIR club...if I don't like it,i go somewhere else..no harm...no foul.

I just find it a waste of time and energy to let other peoples preferences bother me....life is too short,and there are too many courses to play . Some people have their traditions and way of

living and I have mine.....just because they aren't the same does not mean one of them is wrong

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA