Funny story "No jeans at the Country Club!"

Pompous attitudes aside, I can't understand why anyone would want to play golf in jeans. They are heavy, restrictive and hot.

I wear shorts 99% of the time and will occasionally wear cargos if I'm playing a lower end muni. The ONLY time I wear pants is if I'm playing outside of the Palm Springs area and it's cold. Pants of any kind are uncomfortable for golf to me.

Luckily, it is rarely under 70F where I live and almost everyone wears shorts.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Desert Golf' timestamp='1416588139' post='10483365']
Pompous attitudes aside, I can't understand why anyone would want to play golf in jeans. They are heavy, restrictive and hot.

I wear shots 99% of the time and will occasionally wear cargos if I'm playing a lower end muni. The ONLY time I wear pants is if I'm playing outside of the Palm Springs area and it's cold. Pants of any kind are uncomfortable for golf to me.

[/quote]I agree, jeans are just too restrictive, hot, and unsightly. I like jeans when the weather get cold at the end of the season here in michigan, but for the rest of the year I like comfy, nice looking pants/shorts. When you feel and look good, it is more conducive to better play.

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1416588432' post='10483399']
[quote name='Desert Golf' timestamp='1416588139' post='10483365']

I wear shots 99% of the time and will occasionally wear cargos if I'm playing a lower end muni. The ONLY time I wear pants is if I'm playing outside of the Palm Springs area and it's cold. Pants of any kind are uncomfortable for golf to me.

[/quote]I agree, jeans are just too restrictive, hot, and unsightly. I like jeans when the weather get cold at the end of the season here in michigan, but for the rest of the year I like comfy, nice looking pants/shorts. When you feel and look good, it is more conducive to better play.
[/quote]

Mom jeans are pretty comfy....so I hear....

[quote name='MyShortGameSucks' timestamp='1416571194' post='10482209']
Nothing wrong with being a member of a private club. Best thing I ever did was joining my club and I love the opportunity it provides to play other private courses. There are a ton of other benefits that have been covered ad naseum in multiple other threads.

Unfortunately some mid-tier private courses like Weston perpetuate the snobby, stuck-up stereotype country club image. Not sure why. I have played it a few times and each time the reception has been less than welcoming. Heck it's a pretty average, underwhelming course so not sure where the attitude comes from! By contrast I have played other New England courses with much better reputations and courses e.g Winchester, Myopia, Essex, Boston Club etc and they are WAY friendlier and not stuck up at all...
[/quote]
[quote name='golfinray' timestamp='1416580742' post='10482721']
[quote name='Scungi' timestamp='1416541636' post='10481495']
[url="http://nesn.com/2014/11/fight-breaks-out-at-weston-mass-golf-club-over-couple-wearing-denim/"]http://nesn.com/2014...-wearing-denim/[/url]
[/quote]The type of snobbery that exists at some clubs makes me ill.

I can understand people being snobs at Augusta or Oakmont.

But most of these clubs are not even in the same world as those and they are still snobs.

I laugh at them.
[/quote]Ironically, Oakmont is THE least "Snobby" of the "big 5" in town.

Very little social sobbery, now on the golf side, LMAO?

Nah, I'm kidding. They're good Peeps. Though the Board sets the P&Ps, Bob Ford was a Class Act & Gentleman, and would tolerate nothing less from his people, and he set the tone and the members and Players are good people.

If you were a guest there, you would one, have a great encounter and two, enjoy yourself both on the course and off of it.

Do they have rules?

Of course they do.

MSGS nailed it on the mid-tiers, at least that has been where I've had few eye brow raising encounters. Actually had a Guy try to passively find out my religion as I was a guest of a Buddy and while waiting for him to come back from his locker, and this guy knew that I played in what used to be called the "Dew Sweepers" swat, which was an interclub swat that was first off on Sundays at whatever club that we played that Sunday, and his club wasn't close to being in the rotation, either Player wise or track wise. So he asked me if I went to Saturday evening "services." Without thinking at that moment, I responded that yes, I went to Saturday evening "mass." He, in a surprised tone, asked, "so they accept Catholics at ............?" Actually, that's how our club, considered "top tier," started, because the Guys/club across the street said "sorry, that's a no-go," lol. I am not opening this door and only recount this story in the context of my story. Now I'm goin back a long, long, long time, though those sentiments carried until the mid-late 90s. I told my Bud to make sure that he and I were cart mates. This guy was a first class jerk, but hey, you meets jerks all day, every day, everywhere.

My Bud?

One of the nicest, kindest Guys that you could ever meet. He gave his swat/tourney caddy his Scotty Circle-T as a HS graduation present. When his caddy went to take it after John putted out on 18, he told the Boy to take care of it. The Boy, thinking that John meant that as in when he put it back in John's bag, answered, "Oh I do. I wipe the head down & the shaft. This is priceless." John then told him that he meant to take care of it when he(the Caddy) put it in HIS bag. Needless to say, the Boy was floored.

So, after a lot of experiences and encounters, I would say that well over 97-98% were positive.

However that's the great thing about private clubs....

No one will ever force Ya to play one or to join one.

That's pretty cool :)

Have a nice weekend Gals & Gents :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

This reminds me of one day when I went for lunch at the Calgary CC with my grandparents a couple months ago. Two ladies a couple about two tables away from us were having lunch and showing each other pictures on their phones, the CC is very "old school" here and is a no cell phone facility. Anyway my grandfather was less than impressed and my grandma had to calm him down before he had a conniption.

Obviously in the article the situation escalated much more than it should have, and I'm sort of glad mine didn't; albeit it would have been funny.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1416580108' post='10482667']
[quote name='KMeloney' timestamp='1416579168' post='10482597']
[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1416575665' post='10482379']
Funny, I was thinking the same.

If $45K is considered mid-range for an initiation fee, then I must be poorer than I thought. Haha.

We have a few private clubs in my area that have a $2-3K initiation and they are pretty nice clubs.
[/quote]

You also have a couple (like one out past Short Pump) that are @ $150K, too. ;) I hear it's a great course, btw.

This article was completely uninformative. The couple "attempted to wear denim?" But then they weren't wearing denim "at the time?" What does any of that even mean? Stupid.
[/quote]
That's a good point that I didn't catch. Maybe they had the gall to have some denim in their possession as they had just done some shopping?
[/quote]

It's obviously a conspiracy. Denim shareholders versus anti-denim activists!

As for the mid-range discussion, Trump National in Westchester would run you $350k for the initiation so $45k certainly isn't the big leagues.

I was a member of a struggling private club that had a no denim policy. One guy I played with was a Captain in the fire department, and he had a group of twenty active and retired fire fighters that played once a month. They came to our course on a Tuesday in February, and one guy wore pleated Dockers made of denim, and instead of asking him not to wear denim next time, they didn't let him play. The guy was a retired battalion chief, and, I repeat, this was a Tuesday in February. Some people blamed my friend for not telling him. I agreed, but I also said the club embarrased a member and his guest. They also lost any repeat buisness from this group, and the member quit.

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1416597812' post='10484271']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1416580108' post='10482667']
[quote name='KMeloney' timestamp='1416579168' post='10482597']
[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1416575665' post='10482379']
Funny, I was thinking the same.

If $45K is considered mid-range for an initiation fee, then I must be poorer than I thought. Haha.

We have a few private clubs in my area that have a $2-3K initiation and they are pretty nice clubs.
[/quote]

You also have a couple (like one out past Short Pump) that are @ $150K, too. ;) I hear it's a great course, btw.

This article was completely uninformative. The couple "attempted to wear denim?" But then they weren't wearing denim "at the time?" What does any of that even mean? Stupid.
[/quote]
That's a good point that I didn't catch. Maybe they had the gall to have some denim in their possession as they had just done some shopping?
[/quote]

It's obviously a conspiracy. Denim shareholders versus anti-denim activists!

As for the mid-range discussion, Trump National in Westchester would run you $350k for the initiation so $45k certainly isn't the big leagues.
[/quote]
Well I'd [b]never[/b] associate with anything with the name "Trump" associated with it. :-)

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1416596761' post='10484179']
This reminds me of one day when I went for lunch at the Calgary CC with my grandparents a couple months ago. Two ladies a couple about two tables away from us were having lunch and showing each other pictures on their phones, the CC is very "old school" here and is a no cell phone facility. Anyway my grandfather was less than impressed and my grandma had to calm him down before he had a conniption.

Obviously in the article the situation escalated much more than it should have, and I'm sort of glad mine didn't; albeit it would have been funny.
[/quote]LMAO, this reminds me of a hilarious situation at our club in the summer of 2012. In the Men's Card Room, our 19th hole, there is a no hat, no cells phone, no brief case/portfolio, etc. Now before some one has, in Knock's words, "a conniption," these rules were put into place, and that is pretty standard at most clubs that are registered as a "non profit" business, and that is that no business may be conducted in areas that are not open to every one. Obviously, the hat rule is just an etiquette thing, though the phones and brief cases/portfolios falls under that rule.

So my Bro has one of his young brokers over to play with us. Super Kid, mid 20s, and he could hit the snot out of the ball and was a Player, though just a nice humble Kid from Indiana, PA. So he comes in from the parking lot and Greg told him to walk straight through the doors and walk across the locker room and into the Card Room and get him, and Greg would take him to a locker. Well, the Kid comes walking into the Card room with his Rickie hat on(lime green LMAO), a brief case in his left hand and a phone to his ear in his right hand, lol. Now, it's understood at our club that if/when someone breeches one of these rules, that guest's member will deal with the situation. If not present, the Senior Bartender will nicely, quietly and very discreetly speak to him. We both rose, greeted him, by which time he had finished the call and walked him back to the locker room with out a word being spoken. Greg mentioned it at some point during the round.

I was one of the big proponents of having the Senior Bartender handle it because though we had no "horror stories," even remotely resembling the posted story, I did not want the members involved because of the myriad personalities involved and the potential for an inappropriate reaction. Look, yea, it's a rule, however it is small and irrelevant compared to a Man's Feelings & Pride. To hurt someone's feelings over something so trivial, and don't get me wrong, as I am in favor of these rules however, like I said, an Individual's Feelings & Pride ALWAYS far outweigh any broach of these rules.

Just my .02 worth :)

Have a good one!!

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I agree with you about peoples feelings. Most people are more than happy to comlpy and obey rules when they are told in a kind and courteous manner. The problems arise when the dress code police jump into action. In our case it was a pro with no common sense or people skills. The bad thing is when a member reports a dress code violation, and puts the pro in an untenable position. Country clubs and golf courses are places people go to unwind and have fun. The real great places have ways handling situations that leave everybody feeling good.

When people join a private club that has charter defined rules, including attire and behavior, members expect the rules to be enforced. And its the BOD responsibility for insuring those rules are adhered to. Additionally, having club rules and enforcing them is NOT snobbery, as some posts elude to. Snobbery is a mentality, much like being a stupid foul mouthed jerk, that wasn't even addressed in the article. Though there's much more to that story, I suspect the club didn't want the details published, as it should be.

Sounds to me like some posters have predispositions that, in many cases, have no foundation other than a preconceived uneducated prejudice regarding expensive private clubs and maybe wealthy people.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1416596761' post='10484179']

[/quote]

:offtopic2:

I was shared a story second hand from somebody at the CC this summer. Best place in the city. Cell phone ban extends to the parking lot as well. Once you're out of your vehicle they are not to be used on premise apparently. Guy gets out of his car and continues a conversation. He's approached by a senior staff member (who will remain nameless) and is asked to get off the phone. Guy turns his back and ignores him. Staff member patiently waits for the call to complete. Guy turns to him and says "Do you know who I am?". Staff member's reply was "I will when your suspension paperwork is filled out." Suspended for 30 days. CEO of a major energy company...lol. :cheesy:

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1416601805' post='10484659'][quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1416596761' post='10484179']

[/quote]

:offtopic2:

I was shared a story second hand from somebody at the CC this summer. Best place in the city. Cell phone ban extends to the parking lot as well. Once you're out of your vehicle they are not to be used on premise apparently. Guy gets out of his car and continues a conversation. He's approached by a senior staff member (who will remain nameless) and is asked to get off the phone. Guy turns his back and ignores him. Staff member patiently waits for the call to complete. Guy turns to him and says "Do you know who I am?". Staff member's reply was "I will when your suspension paperwork is filled out." Suspended for 30 days. CEO of a major energy company...lol. :cheesy:[/quote] that is classic, and just a perfect response by the staff member, I have a second hand story of why they don't play poker in the men's room there anymore, has to do with a bad beat on a big pot and the plethora of old weapons on the walls...

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1416581838' post='10482817']
[quote name='Scungi' timestamp='1416581306' post='10482777']
It's just funny, same goes for cargo pants and shorts. I've been at a muni course and wasn't allowed to play because I had cargo shorts, khaki cargo shorts. Not even crappy shorts, they were nice ones, lol. It was in Lynn, in April, to boot for people who know Mass. Total opposite of affluent Weston for people who aren't familiar.
[/quote]
They don't allow cargos at Gannon? Wow - I have never been there - guess I won't be going any time soon - lol.
[/quote]We also have a "No Cargo" rule and yea, I voted for it.

So, my last GF buys me two beautiful pair of RL bermuda shorts, one pair black, the other navy. A worsted wool/silk blend(80/20), very light and very comfortable(Though they do wrinkle when I even think about walking, lol).

They have second pocket on the right side, below the regular pocket. No buttons. Tightly pressed and from 20-25', you couldn't distinguish the third pocket(I had my current GF, who's an Asst at another club in town get about that distance and tell me, lol. Her club also has a "No Cargo" rule).

I mean, they are classier looking than a lot of my regular bermudas. Now, I wear slacks on the course, however I'd say that probably 60-70% of my summer dinners on the porch are in shorts, so I do wear them a lot.

I think that these might be the nicest, prettiest(Not to mention that they look great on Me, LMAO ;) ) shorts that I own, and I can't wear them over to the club.

Oh well ;)

Rules are Rules

So be it :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

I've had two experiences with dress codes.

First one about 20 years, went to play at a local private course, showed up in really nice docker jeans. Weren't cheap. The Head Pro, very discreetly, told me that jeans weren't allowed but since he knew me would still let me play instead of making me buy some slacks. He handled it very well and I, instead of getting out bent out of shape, was very apologetic and understanding. I didn't have a problem whatsoever with their rules which seems to put me in a minority. I even offered to buy some slacks but he told me it wasn't necessary.

The second experience was on our trip to Pebble Beach. The three couples of us sat down in the Tap Room for a cold beer after our round. The waitress, with extreme courtesy, told us men that we needed to remove our hats. We graciously complied and no one complained about what a silly rule it was. The waitress was very gracious about it as were we.

When both sides know how to handle the situation with class, grace, and dignity, it's no biggie. Let either side be a jerk about it, which seems to happen way too often, and it can get ugly. But, it is their rules and you either comply or you shouldn't even go.

[quote name='North Texas' timestamp='1416603252' post='10484787']
I've had two experiences with dress codes.

First one about 20 years, went to play at a local private course, showed up in really nice docker jeans. Weren't cheap. The Head Pro, very discreetly, told me that jeans weren't allowed but since he knew me would still let me play instead of making me buy some slacks. He handled it very well and I, instead of getting out bent out of shape, was very apologetic and understanding. I didn't have a problem whatsoever with their rules which seems to put me in a minority. I even offered to buy some slacks but he told me it wasn't necessary.

The second experience was on our trip to Pebble Beach. The three couples of us sat down in the Tap Room for a cold beer after our round. The waitress, with extreme courtesy, told us men that we needed to remove our hats. We graciously complied and no one complained about what a silly rule it was. The waitress was very gracious about it as were we.

When both sides know how to handle the situation with class, grace, and dignity, it's no biggie. Let either side be a jerk about it, which seems to happen way too often, and it can get ugly. But, it is their rules and you either comply or you shouldn't even go.
[/quote]I really believe that if the individual who is informing the other about an infraction, #1, comes from the view of the other person NOT being aware of the rule, and #2, trying to SINCERELLY HELP them to be compliant instead of a "gotcha" or a demeaning reprimand of a child attitude, that would go a whole hell of a lot further in reducing the situations such as occurred in MA, though it occurs all of the time in every city that has a club.

WoW, not to go off track, buttttttttt, MIchael's worth 1B dollars, WoW. I knew that he had coin, though not that kinda coin, lol.

Ok, back on the tracks :)

Remember, anyone that plays this game is your Friend!

And sometimes you might have to take a higher road than you might ordinarily take, however just remember, it's not about you, it's not about me, it's not about the other person....

It's about the Game :)

Have a nice Afternoon My Friends,
Richard

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1416584406' post='10483039']
I'm off to play at our private today.....in jeans.

I'm just glad I'm in a ag community where no one gives jeans a second look.
[/quote]Same here. In fact, where I live, it's stylish to wear starched, stiff pressed jeans with a blazer and custom boots. You see it in church, at funerals, weddings, but not football games. Those are sacred.

I don't wear jeans on the golf course because I find them to be uncomfortable for golf. But if someone else wants to wear them I could care less.

The course where I work and play does not allow jeans or any denim material anywhere on the course or practice area at any time.

Like someone else said, I'd rather see a player wearing a nice clean pair of jeans than a pair of dirty, wrinkly khakis.

Its really not what one wears, but how he wears it.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1416610521' post='10485463']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1416584406' post='10483039']
I'm off to play at our private today.....in jeans.

I'm just glad I'm in a ag community where no one gives jeans a second look.
[/quote]Same here. In fact, where I live, it's stylish to wear starched, stiff pressed jeans with a blazer and custom boots. You see it in church, at funerals, weddings, but not football games. Those are sacred.
[/quote]

Sounds like Texas. Football used to sacred here too, but then we hired Bo Pelini.

I think I would have a hard time adjusting to a lot of the upper tier courses. I'm just a very relaxed and easy going person, and although I would adjust and adhere out of necessity, it just sounds like too many rules and regs.

I like our easy going type place. Two of us in jeans today and in the group behind us, also In jeans, the club president and mens association outgoing president.
But we're in a very different area, jeans are very much a way of everyday life.

I was a member at victoria golf club in the winter the past couple of years when I was at school there and it is fairly uppity, not quite Calgary g&cc but close and in my time there they relaxed the dress code in the lounge to allow jeans and apparently it upped there food and beverage sales a decent amount as it allowed members to stop in for lunch and or dinner with less planning involved.

I don't see the point of denim on the course its restrictive and there are far better options imo; but, there is nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans with a button down and a sweater or a blazer when going for a nice meal.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='SeekonkHolen1' timestamp='1416585167' post='10483101']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1416584064' post='10483003']
[quote name='MyShortGameSucks' timestamp='1416582888' post='10482919']
I think most up-scale public tracks have no jeans, no cargos rules and require a collared shirt. I am thinking courses like Pinehills, Red Tail, Waverly, Granite Links, Crumpin Fox, Ledges etc I have not played nor know of Gannon so cannot comment on whether the no cargos rule makes sense or not. Personally I don't care if people wear them as long as the pockets don't bulge out too much!
[/quote]
I've worn cargos at Pinehills, Crumpin Fox, and The Ledges. No one said anything. I can only remember once having anything said about my cargos and that was at a small 9 hole course in N. Providence that my brother lives on - Louisquisset Golf Club. I had to put on a pair of my brother's shorts and hos waist is quite a bit larger than mine ...
[/quote]

I don't really understand the restriction on cargo shorts. In my opinion it's like they were made for golfers, to be honets. There's a pocket for tee's, a pocket for a spare ball or two, a pocket for my wallet, another for my ball marker. Talk about convenient!

I would rather see someone on a course wearing nice jeans or cargo shorts, rather than someone in battered Kahki's.

I understand that people should look presentable, especially at some of the high-end courses, but some of the dress codes are what makes people look at golf as an elitist sport.
[/quote] i always found it amusing that the 65 dollar jeans were not allowed...but the $9.95 Kahki's from the local thrift shop is ok.....i agree with you that is seems to be a bit of the old"we'er better than you" traditional snobbery....needs to change

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

A few years ago my wife and I played the Edmonton Country Club with one of our VP's and a client.

We were friends with the VP and his wife, it was incredibly hot, 37C and after we played we were in the bar and Mike called his wife to join us after work for dinner. Dinner would have went $200 at least, Cheryl shows up, business casual at work that day, in a nice blouse, heels and coloured jeans that were jeans by definition only.

One of the old guys who looked like he had been dragged through a steamy hurricane complained to the waitress and we all had to leave.

Edmonton, Alberta is a fairly casual place and we were all surprised that they questioned Cheryl's appearance.

I would never join that club, it is a decent track, but gives off airs of snob everywhere.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

At the RTJ courses where I do most of my playing they allow
denim/jeans but very few wear them. They're just not comfortable.
They do require a collared shirt but that's it.

The other day I played a round with a few marshals and one of
them was wearing blue jeans, lol. It was cold early in the morning.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

A former club of mine had the "no jeans anywhere at anytime" rule. Fine by me, I don't really wear jeans anyway. The board later decided to allow jeans in the grill/bar rooms during the winter months, and business went up like 50%. Another memory at that club was when I caught up with a twosome ahead of me and started playing along with them. One guy (a guest) had his shirt untucked. Another member on an adjacent hole actually called the pro shop to complain. The assistant pro came out and told the guy to tuck his shirt in.

I don't have an issue with dress code policy at any [b]private [/b]club. Their club, their rules. Don't like the rules, spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

F&B sales have been brought up, but for some of these clubs it simply doesn't matter. Members are getting charged monthly minimums and get assessed at the end of the year for any short falls. Many courses fail badly with the F&B departments because they simply don't understand the business. It is not easy to keep everyone happy and still be profitable...and even more difficult in low volume operations like golf clubs.

For many of these higher end private clubs, members are paying for rules/tradition/decorum. There are a multitude of options and other clubs that will be less stringent on "silly" rules like these. If I had the opportunity to join either the Calgary or Edmonton Country Clubs, not wearing jeans would not cause me a moment of hesitation.

I am not posting this as a response to any post because I do not want it taken the wrong way by anyone who's posted. And let me say that I just reread this thread prior to posting this and this is one of the rare serious subject multi-page threads that every serious post/response is a well thought out, well articulated post. This is indeed rare and speaks to why this is indeed THE finest golf forum on planet earth.

That being said, I would just like to comment about jeans, and specifically, the attitude that I have regarding wearing them at a private club, specifically, mine. I also am on the committee that deals with dress at the club.

I have always looked at jeans as denoting "casualness." I don't care if they are a pair of Levi 505s or a $250+ pair of designer denim. Doesn't matter. They are casual.

It has nothing to do with arrogance, uppityness or snobbery(WTF? Is there even such a word, lol ;) ). As had been mentioned, and I have actually done this, and that is to get a $5-15 pair of chino/khaki slacks from the Salvation Army/2nd hand store, when I needed a pair of pants to work in the yard in the autumn. When cleaned and pressed, they looked as nice as my slacks that I wore daily. My point is that a pair of khakis can be had for far less than the average pair of designer denim.

It's not about that.

It's about an attitude.

And not an attitude of "I am better than you," but an attitude that this area, whether it be the course, the club house or the whole grounds, is an area where yes, it is "casual," however it is not like the local watering hole, where shirts, pants and shoes are the bar or "measuring stick." Its like when I go into my office. I am old school. I wear a suit to work every day. Sure I take the jacket off however as long as I have that tie on, I have it knotted and tight.

Uncomfortable?

I have no idea.

I don't think about it.

Never enters my mind.

It's a mental thing, lol.

However I allow my employees to dress casually depending on their positions within the firm. My consultants must have a tie on though I do not stipulate a suit, as they may go jacket/slacks if they'd like. We go to our clients 80% of the time. "Client time" is suit time. When my clients start dressing casually, I'll look at doing the same, however there are too many studies to name stating that clients/patients, regardless of how they dress, want their "experts," be it doctor, lawyer or consultant, to dress "the part," and that usually means at minimum a jacket/tie.

However, with dress comes an attitude. I can't speak for anyone but myself, though when I dress "better" and "nicer," I feel better about myself. I'm not kidding here. It's like when I use to put my game uniform on in college, I felt like frickin Superman. Whether or not I got my a** kicked that day was irrelevant, though what was relevant was how I felt when I hit the field. And that transfers to when I out a suit on. I feel like Superman. No kidding. Like I can do anything. Whether or not that I can or cannot is irrelevant, it's how I feel.

So, my point is that there are certain "uniforms" for certain activities and areas.

At our club we had a "no denim" rule for the whole grounds. Ya didn't wear em anywhere on the grounds. Well, beside the pool is a clubhouse, snack bar that was use for the pool during the season.

It is separate from the main clubhouse. So we made this into basically a "Pub," minus the bar(you can obviously order booze, it just comes over from the club house bar), though a great atmosphere for casual dining, be it for a couple or Parents and Children. There is a fire place that hadn't been use in decades that was brought up to code and is used many evenings. I and my best friend spear headed a policy of allowing "nice" jeans, just as the local watering hole, because after all, that's who we were competing against for the members' dining dollars.

It took two years and four votes but we got our seven votes, lol.

Main clubhouse, no denim, and depending on to be dining room, jacket/tie, though there is a bar and dining room that's between the Pool Clubhouse and the formal dining room, just no denim.

However it is about giving people a choice. Some people do not feel comfortable in going out in denim/jeans. They should not be put down, insulted or called out any more than should be the individual who wants to wear jeans.

As I've said about this game and that is that there is room for all of us, just maybe not in each others' foursome or dining room :)

It's a rule. We always want to judge or villainize others that disagree with us or think, act or dress differently. That's sad, though it's a fact of life. Been goin on forever.

You don't think that I wasn't pissed about those shorts that I spoke of?

Seriously, I'd never ever pay $100+ for a pair of shorts. Hell, I've need paid that for a pair of golf slacks, ever!!

But the rules are the rules.

I don't bemoan em..

I don't think about em...

And I sure the hell don't judge those that voted differently than I might have on the issue, though I did vote "ney" on cargos and still feel that way.

I just don't like to see individuals prematurely and often inaccurately judge and label people who might think differently or have different views or opinions than them.

It just seems that whenever someone speaks in favor of a higher bar, they are labelled a snob or arrogant.

I voted against denim(except in the Pool Grill) and cargo shorts, though if anyone of you met me on the street, in a local watering hole or on the first hole of any public track around, after our encounter, I promise you that the word "snob" or "arrogant" wouldn't even be in your mind as an adjective describing me.

I just think that there are times and places for everything.

Believe it or not, I'm a hell of a lot more flexible than I used to be, lol.

When I spear headed the jeans in the Pool Grill, guys thought that I'd had a seizure or something, lol. They couldn't believe it because of who my mentors were. However times change and if my mentors were around now, they would agree with my views and vote.

And if they didn't?

That's ok too, lol.

At the end of the day, when I want a group decision, I just look in the mirror :)

But let's go easy on judging others just because they might disagree with you and your view(s).

Have a great week Gals and Gents :)

My Best,
Richard

Like George Thorogood sang (in a cover?), "Everybody's funny . . . now you funny too."

Yeah, all clubs have these types of rules--and they are always localized, too. My club, which is in a small rural NC community, decrees that you must wear collars (not even one of those Under Armor "high collar" performance shirts--it MUST have a collar) but that jeans are OK. Seems like it'd be an all-or-nothing situation to men, but whatever. And, since so many of the guys/gals live in an adjoining neighborhood they generally overlook the dress code altogether if you're dropping in to putt for 10 minutes or hit balls on the range.

I grew up playing a baked out muni and the 'rents wouldn't have bought extra clothes for golf--we played in shorts and tee shirts all the time. So, I'm not really hung up on the "tradition" of golf (all due respect to those who are), all I want to do is play golf. If the place I go wants me in khakis and a collared shirt, so be it.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1416761022' post='10491813']
I am not posting this as a response to any post because I do not want it taken the wrong way by anyone who's posted. And let me say that I just retread this thread prior to posting this and this is one of the rare serious subject multi-page threads that every serious post/response is a well thought out, well articulated post. This is indeed rare and speaks to why this is indeed THE finest golf forum on planet earth.

That being said, I would just like to comment about jeans, and specifically, the attitude that I have regarding wearing them at a private club, specifically, mine. I also am on the committee that deals with dress at the club.

I have always looked at jeans as denoting "casualness." I don't care if they are a pair of Levi 505s or a $250+ pair of designer denim. Doesn't matter. They are casual.

It has nothing to do with arrogance, uppityness or snobbery(WTF? Is there even such a word, lol ;) ). As had been mentioned, and I have actually done this, and that is to get a $5-15 pair of chino/khaki slacks from the Salvation Army/2nd hand store, when I needed a pair of pants to work in the yard in the autumn. When cleaned and pressed, they looked as nice as my slacks that I wore daily. My point is that a pair of khakis can be had for far less than the average pair of designer denim.

It's not about that.

It's about an attitude.

And not an attitude of "I am better than you," but an attitude that this area, whether it be the course, the club house or the whole grounds, is an area where yes, it is "casual," however it is not like the local watering hole, where shirts, pants and shoes are the bar. Its like when I go into my office. I am old school. I wear a suit to work every day. Sure I take the jacket off however as long as I have that tie on, I have it knotted and tight.

Uncomfortable?

I have no idea.

I don't think about it.

Never enters my mind.

However I allow my employees to dress casually depending on their positions within the firm. My consultants must have a tie on though I do not stipulate a suit, as they may go jacket/slacks if they'd like. We go to our clients 80% of the time. "Client time" is suit time. When my clients start dressing casually, I'll look at doing the same, however there are too many studies to name stating that clients, regardless if how they dress, want their "experts," be it doctor, lawyer or consultant, to dress "the part," and that usually means at minimum a jacket/tie.

However, with dress comes an attitude. I can't speak for anyone but myself, though when I dress "better" and "nicer," I feel better about myself. I'm not kidding here. It's like when I use to put my game uniform on in college, I felt like frickin Superman. Whether or not I got my a** kicked that day was irrelevant, though what was relevant was how I felt when I hit the field. And that transfers to when I out a suit on. I feel like Superman. No kidding. Like I can do anything. Whether or not that I can or cannot is irrelevant, it's how I feel.

So, my point is that there are certain "uniforms" for certain activities and areas.

At our club we had a "no denim" rule for the whole grounds. Ya didn't wear em anywhere on the grounds. Well, beside the pool is a clubhouse, snack bar that was use for the pool during the season.

It is delegate from the main clubhouse. So we made this into basically a "Pub," minus the bar(you can obviously order booze, it just comes over from the club house bar), though a great atmosphere for casual dining, be it for a couple or Parents and Children. There is wen a fire place that hadn't been use in decades that was brought up to code and is used many evenings. I and my best friend spear headed a policy if allowing "nice" jeans, just as the local watering hole, because after all, that's who we were competing against for the members' dining dollars.

Main clubhouse, no denim, and depending on to be dining room, jacket/tie, though there is a bar and dining room that's between the Pool Clubhouse and the formal dining room, just no denim.

However it is about giving people a choice. Some people do not feel comfortable in going out in denim/jeans. They should not be put down, insulted or called out any more than should be the individual who wants to wear jeans.

As I've said about this game and that is that there is room for all of us, just maybe not in each others' foursome or dining room :)

It's a rule. We always want to judge or villainize others that disagree with us or think or dress differently. That's sad, though it's a fact of life. Been goin on forever.

Seriously, I'd never ever pay $100+ for a pair of shorts. Hell, I've need paid that for a pair if golf slacks, ever!!

I don't bemoan em..

And I sure the hell don't judge those that voted differently than I might have on the issue, though I did vote "ney" on cargos and still feel that way.

I just don't like to see individuals prematurely and often inaccurately judge and label people who might think differently or have different views or opinions than them.

It just seems that whenever someone speaks in favor of a higher bar, they are labelled a snob or arrogant.

I voted against denim(except in the Pool Grill) and cargo shorts, though if anyone you met me on the street, in a local watering hole or on the first hole if any public track around, after our encounter, I promise you that the word "snob" or "arrogant" wouldn't even be in your mind as an adjective describing me.

Believe it or not, I'm a hell if a lot more flexible than I used to be, lol.

When I spear headed the jeans in the Pool Grill, guys thought that I'd had a seizure or something, lol. They couldn't believe it because of who my mentors were. However times change and if my mentors were around now, they would agree with my views and vote.

And if they didn't?

That's ok too, lol.

At the end of the day, when I want a group decision, I just look in the mirror :)

But let's go easy on judging others just because they might disagree with you and your view(s).

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Very well said, as usual, Richard. When I put my first little league
uniform on I felt like a million bucks. Anyone who has worn a uniform
at any level knows that feeling.

And the same goes for dress in other areas as well. It isn't snobbery
at all. People just say that cause it's easy to say. People just gravitate
to like minded people cause that's their comfort zone. People get
uncomfortable when they feel out of their element, either way.

In my various careers I've walked among plenty of variety so I'm
comfortable adapting when necessary, lol, though I have my limits
in what I can afford and am willing to pay for some things others
my deem necessary to fit in. In those cases I'm way out of my
league and just stay away. :)

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1416763121' post='10491927']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1416761022' post='10491813']
I am not posting this as a response to any post because I do not want it taken the wrong way by anyone who's posted. And let me say that I just retread this thread prior to posting this and this is one of the rare serious subject multi-page threads that every serious post/response is a well thought out, well articulated post. This is indeed rare and speaks to why this is indeed THE finest golf forum on planet earth.

It's not about that.

It's about an attitude.

And not an attitude of "I am better than you," but an attitude that this area, whether it be the course, the club house or the whole grounds, is an area where yes, it is "casual," however it is not like the local watering hole, where shirts, pants and shoes are the bar. Its like when I go into my office. I am old school. I wear a suit to work every day. Sure I take the jacket off however as long as I have that tie on, I have it knotted and tight.

Uncomfortable?

I have no idea.

I don't think about it.

Never enters my mind.

However I allow my employees to dress casually depending on their positions within the firm. My consultants must have a tie on though I do not stipulate a suit, as they may go jacket/slacks if they'd like. We go to our clients 80% of the time. "Client time" is suit time. When my clients start dressing casually, I'll look at doing the same, however there are too many studies to name stating that clients, regardless if how they dress, want their "experts," be it doctor, lawyer or consultant, to dress "the part," and that usually means at minimum a jacket/tie.

It is delegate from the main clubhouse. So we made this into basically a "Pub," minus the bar(you can obviously order booze, it just comes over from the club house bar), though a great atmosphere for casual dining, be it for a couple or Parents and Children. There is wen a fire place that hadn't been use in decades that was brought up to code and is used many evenings. I and my best friend spear headed a policy if allowing "nice" jeans, just as the local watering hole, because after all, that's who we were competing against for the members' dining dollars.

It's a rule. We always want to judge or villainize others that disagree with us or think or dress differently. That's sad, though it's a fact of life. Been goin on forever.

Seriously, I'd never ever pay $100+ for a pair of shorts. Hell, I've need paid that for a pair if golf slacks, ever!!

I don't bemoan em..

I voted against denim(except in the Pool Grill) and cargo shorts, though if anyone you met me on the street, in a local watering hole or on the first hole if any public track around, after our encounter, I promise you that the word "snob" or "arrogant" wouldn't even be in your mind as an adjective describing me.

Believe it or not, I'm a hell if a lot more flexible than I used to be, lol.

And if they didn't?

That's ok too, lol.

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Very well said, as usual, Richard. When I put my first little league
uniform on I felt like a million bucks. Anyone who has worn a uniform
at any level knows that feeling.

And the same goes for dress in other areas as well. It isn't snobbery
at all. People just say that cause it's easy to say. People just gravitate
to like minded people cause that's their comfort zone. People get
uncomfortable when they feel out of their element, either way.

In my various careers I've walked among plenty of variety so I'm
comfortable adapting when necessary, lol, though I have my limits
in what I can afford and am willing to pay for some things others
my deem necessary to fit in. In those cases I'm way out of my
league and just stay away. :)
[/quote]Excellent Post Conrad!!

Regarding price, as I said 95% of my slacks I buy at Marshall's , TJ Maxx, Gabrielle Brothers, Burlington or Stein Mart(like the first four, nice discount). Every year I buy 3 pair of navy and 3 pair of khaki color slacks from Bean. Only slacks that I pay retail for and they're are a great bargain even at retail cuz they're extremely well made and US made, which I always like to do if I can.

I'd say 70-75% of my shirts are bought from those places also and probably 15% of the remaining 25% WERE purchased at Dicks, cuz I like their "house" brand, Hagen, especially for the price. I say were because since they axxed the Pros, and specifically a good Friend, they've seen my last dollar. The remaining 10%, I get at the Club or my Bud's driving range Pro Shop cuz as you all know, I like pink/pink themed shirts and they seem to get pretty, unique shirts.

I don't know why I've always been like this cuz I didn't grow up in the depression, lol, my Grandmother and Parents(mostly Mother, lol) bought me very nice clothes, however I love showing up in the first tee, and with the exception of my shoes, because I wear Edmonds, though my shirt probably cost less than $40 and my slacks less than $50 and I usually get compliments on my attire.

Same with my jeans and button down casual shirts. I can't remember the last time that I spent more than $12-15 for a pair of jeans

I just figure than anyone can spend $$$$ and dress like a million bucks, however it takes effort and is a challenge to dress like a million bucks for less than $100, lol.

Boy, as I reread this, am I screwed up, LMAO.

I got no one to blame but myself, LMAO

Nah, I'm good with it.

Have a great week Bro :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard