2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Snake Eyes Irons

progolf4life

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a buddy that plays to about a 2 that uses these. They compared (surprisingly, to me) pretty favorably to my MP30s. I'd say that the Mizunos were a little softer, but the ball flight and solidness were pretty darn close (we both play S300s).

Titleist TSR2 10*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 15*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

I don't play the snake eyes blades, but I play the golfsmith proforged, the model that was available before the snake eyes. I have also hit the snake eyes blades extensively. Before switching to golfsmith clubs I played mizuno mp-29 and hogan apex blades.

I can't tell any difference in feel or playability between the oem brands and the golfsmith clubs. And the chrome on my golfsmith irons has held up much better.

I remember when the Snake Eyes blades were $1,000

I used to have a set of those Smith and Wesson bad boys as well. Those were really really soft. The offset was a bit but it wasn't much of a switch for me then because I was coming from Ping ISI BeNis. The shafts just kept breaking because of the older sensicores. The clubmaker I had reshaft the 5 and 8irons that broke bored them to .370 without telling me. Basically gave them away after that.

Got a set from Jim McLain (I believe its McLaingolf.com) custom fit, got a real good deal on them. Was looking for a backup set at the time for my Cleveland CG4's , and in the end liked the Snake Eyes better. For the price of the clubs, they really can't be beat. They feel and perform just as good if not better than alot of the OEM clubs on the market.

Since then i've given them to a friend who needed a new set (hes an angry guy, and threw two of his clubs in a pond after a bad round haha) and he loves them more than his V-Foils. Basically if your looking for a good set at an affordable price id say go for it, at least give them a try, they aren't going to break your wallet like some of the others. You might also want to try out their drivers, with the right shaft they can be killer (Viper Ti 460).

I am PRO Component all the way when it comes to irons. Snake Eyes irons are forged in China by the same foundry as Wishon and OEM's like Taylor Made and others. Snake Eyes uses a S45 Japanese grade Carbon steel that is forged with a 5 step process using 100 ton die (much harder than other OEMS, not including Titleist and Mizuno). Most OEMs only strike their heads twice with 8 ton dies, which does not smooth out the grain as much as it could be.

S45 carbon steel is the equivalent to 1045 US grade steel. When comparing feel, I would say they are just as soft as Nike blades, which use 1030 carbon steel. Reason being, these irons are forged at such a heavy weight the grain in much smoother thus making the irons feel much softer. Snake Eyes irons are very high quality, much better than some OEM's which I will not go into. The head weights are very accurate on their heads. They even post the exact specs on the heads when you buy them so if you want to fine tune your set you can, but the most I have ever found the specs to be off were by 2 grams. Also, the grooves are CNC milled in the heads, which are very accurate and very consistent. Lastly, the chrome on Snake Eyes heads are some of the best I have ever come across, they do not wear out as fast as OEM's.

I do not see my self buying OEM irons ever again. I have been building clubs for 8 years. I am a tinkerer, and must get my specs just right. I demand the highest quality from my clubs since I take so much time and care to build them. Snake Eyes 600 series are my favorite irons out their. Another great component set is Wishon 550 C/M, Tom Wishon used to work for Golfsmith. Tom designed the Golfsmith Pro Forged series which were some of the best forged irons you could by. You may ask your self why you have never heard about them or why they are not popular; its because they do not have a major label backing them. But ask anyone who has hit them and they will tell you they are the holy grail.

Ok enough of my ranting, build a 6 iron and give it a shot, I think you will be very happy. If you are interested I have the 600C 3-6 irons heads which were used for 5 rounds that I do not need, and looking to sell. I now play the 600B 3-PW, and 600C 2 iron. Oh, if you are going to buy stuff from Golfsmith, try and wait until June when they have their 50% off sale on components.

Hope this post helps.

I have a set of Snake Eyes 600C heads, a set of Golfsmith Tour Cavity heads and some old Pro Forged blades.

The 600C looks REEEALY close to the TS X-Blade cavity heads...all the club-heads I mentioned above i found very soft and designed well.

I gave them a 4. I might get some 600B heads and make a combo set again.

How do the component Snake Eyes 600C Irons with TT Dynamic Gold S300s compare to OEM brands?

I agree with some of the other posters. There are some components out there that are as good as

any of the Major Brand. I have built several sets of Snake Eyes and my customers love them. Only

issue is really, what do you want other people to think of you when they look at your golf bag.

If you want some quality component forgings look at, Nakashima, Snake Eyes, Wishon 550 C, Tourswing, Ikasu, Alpha, just to name a few. I will put these forgings up against any !

Take the plung, walk to a different drummer ! :friends:

I have not played their irons but I am playing a Snake Eyes Wedge, the "653TM" 55* loft, 10*bounce. For the $$$, it is a great wedge. I would have purchased a matching Lob Wedge but I just didn't need it. Back to their irons, the 600XC's look great and I would have no regrets giving them a try.

As far as the wedge goes. Here are my costs....

Head = $15

Dynamic Gold S300 = $10

Grip = $2.50

For about $30 I put together a good looking, well-playing wedge. It works for me.....

i am now playing my second set of Snake Eyes. I used to play the Wishon-designed about 8 years ago, forgot the model number. I had Nike Pro Combos for one round and hated them. I pulled the trigger on a set of snake eyes 600Bs (600c for 3 and 4 iron), custom fit for length and lie. I hit just about every other OEM blade (titleist, cg1, mizuno, etc) and for the quality and price, you can't go wrong with snake eyes. if people look in my bag and think less of my clubs because i didn't spend $900 on them, fine with me. then they hit a ball with my 7 iron and are amazed. the thing that really sold me before i bought them was the description of the forging process.

the only negative is the golf paintfill but i just scraped that out and they look beautiful.

Thanks for the replies. Shopping time lol. I plan on buying these online then taking them to golfsmith to get fitted. I saw a set with the TT Dynamic Gold S300s and the GP Tour Velvets 3-PW go for $202 and they were brand new. Do you guys know where I can get them at a good price?

P.S: When I go to get fitting I'm almost positive they are going to have to cut it down 1/4". Will this throw off the wait at all? And I think I will need 1* flat too. Will that mess up anything?

Thanks for the help so far.

Please explain why you voted certain numbers please? and............................................

Thanks for the replies. Shopping time lol. I plan on buying these online then taking them to golfsmith to get fitted. I saw a set with the TT Dynamic Gold S300s and the GP Tour Velvets 3-PW go for $202 and they were brand new. Do you guys know where I can get them at a good price?

P.S: When I go to get fitting I'm almost positive they are going to have to cut it down 1/4". Will this throw off the wait at all? And I think I will need 1* flat too. Will that mess up anything?

Why didn't you give them a chance?

At the time I was about a 7 hdcp and was playing about three to four times a week. I played two rounds with them and shot 91 both times. I did not hit these irons high at all which isn't a bad thing but my distances were just off. I went back to my old irons Ping ISI Nickels and still hit them to this day. I love the look of the Snake eyes and just might try them again soon.

Jimmy

Why didn't you give them a chance?

At the time I was about a 7 hdcp and was playing about three to four times a week. I played two rounds with them and shot 91 both times. I did not hit these irons high at all which isn't a bad thing but my distances were just off. I went back to my old irons Ping ISI Nickels and still hit them to this day. I love the look of the Snake eyes and just might try them again soon.

Jimmy

Wow there is actually another person on Earth that went from Ping ISI Ns to the Smith/Wesson MB1s! I stuck with the change though for about 2 years until they released the TM300s.

The SE600 series is about as good as clubheads come. I love mine and will never go back to buing OEMs. The 600XC is nearly as forgiving as an cast cavity back I have hit with a MUCH better feel. My scores dropped immediately after getting them and am playing the best golf of my life. Make the switch.

BTW, $200 for a nearly new set of 600s is an absolute steal. Get them now.

Here's a pics link to a WITB that was posted earlier this year:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...p;hl=snake+eyes

Snake Eyes and Maltby both have very nice forged irons. I'd love to try Wishon, as I believe he was the designer for the SE 600 series and makes a very fine product. But I don't have a Wishon account and he's a little selective on who he sells to.

Jim

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas