2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Colorado Golf Trip - Suggestions for 10 courses in 5 days

AU94CMK

Where is your friend's meeting? That would help with suggestions.

If you do Bear Dance on Friday, A course to pair with the Ridge, as you mentioned Red Hawk. Another good option would be Arrowhead. I would highly recommend emailing the head pro at Pradera though. Tell him you've heard a lot about Jim Engh etc, and you'd love the opportunity to check it out. Something along those lines. Sunday afternoon should be OK, obviously Sunday morning you wouldn't have a chance.

If you do Bear Dance on Friday, A course to pair with the Ridge, as you mentioned Red Hawk. Another good option would be Arrowhead. I would highly recommend emailing the head pro at Pradera though. Tell him you've heard a lot about Jim Engh etc, and you'd love the opportunity to check it out. Something along those lines. Sunday afternoon should be OK, obviously Sunday morning you wouldn't have a chance.

Thanks for the tips :)

Ya he'll be around the business parks out in West Denver, so Fox Hollow and Fossil Trace seem to be the option Friday afternoon, we've booked Bear Dance/Broadmoor East for Sat already just to get that anchor day done.

I'm a lowly public player, but he's at a club, so maybe he can get his pro to ring them up. I took a quick look at their site and it looks a good track and as you point out, fits in with The Ridge well for a 36 day, in place of the other two.

We did have a chuckle (because we're not in it obviously) about the storm that rolled through your neck of the woods this weekend. Yikes!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

If any of you are military you could play the Eisenhower Air Force course in Co Springs. As long as one is military or past military, the foursome can get on for a steal. It's typically rated the best military course in the nation. Tucked up against the mountains, it's amazing. One of the nicest in the state. They have two 18's. Silver and blue. They usually have a replay special as well.

Another option is ballyneal. It's a drive NE of Denver but a super private high luxury course with cabins dinners all inclusive type stuff. It's on the high end, caddies and the like.

If any of you are military you could play the Eisenhower Air Force course in Co Springs. As long as one is military or past military, the foursome can get on for a steal. It's typically rated the best military course in the nation. Tucked up against the mountains, it's amazing. One of the nicest in the state. They have two 18's. Silver and blue. They usually have a replay special as well.

Another option is ballyneal. It's a drive NE of Denver but a super private high luxury course with cabins dinners all inclusive type stuff. It's on the high end, caddies and the like.

We'd definitely have added the Silver course, if we were "in the industry", so to speak.

Funnily enough I sometimes have an added impediment to playing courses on armed forces properties... my Canadianess ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thanks for the tips :)

Ya he'll be around the business parks out in West Denver, so Fox Hollow and Fossil Trace seem to be the option Friday afternoon, we've booked Bear Dance/Broadmoor East for Sat already just to get that anchor day done.

I'm a lowly public player, but he's at a club, so maybe he can get his pro to ring them up. I took a quick look at their site and it looks a good track and as you point out, fits in with The Ridge well for a 36 day, in place of the other two.

We did have a chuckle (because we're not in it obviously) about the storm that rolled through your neck of the woods this weekend. Yikes!

Luckily, I just got back from Mexico on Sunday. So I missed most of the storm. It's already melting fast though and will be a good amount of water for the courses!

Fossil Trace is always fun. If you play Fossil and then Red Hawk, Red Hawk will be a little bit of a let down in comparison. I like all of Engh's courses I've played but Red Hawk is definitely on the lower end of his design work IMO.

Another option would be Blackstone. It's part of Clubcorp but is really easy to get on. I think you can even get on through boxgroove. Some wrxers might even invite you if you ask.

We'd definitely have added the Silver course, if we were "in the industry", so to speak.

Funnily enough I sometimes have an added impediment to playing courses on armed forces properties... my Canadianess ;)

I think you will really enjoy Fossil Trace and Fox Hollow. A couple of the better public courses in the state. Fun, challenging, scenic, and both grills are really good.

Post again if you make another trip. Many of us have access to the USAFA courses and they are truly spectacular.

Drn92

• 3 weeks later...

I'm headed to the Denver area in late June. Will probably do 1 or 2 days in the mountains (booked a hotel in Silverthorne). What are the top 3 courses within 90 mins of Denver?

I was thinking:

1) Common ground (I'm into design and haven't played a Doak course yet, are there really complimentary caddies most days?)

2) Arrowhead or fossil trace

3) raven at 3 peaks (mountain golf with good views)

Is broadmoor east really worth $275?

Should I replace anything?

I'm headed to the Denver area in late June. Will probably do 1 or 2 days in the mountains (booked a hotel in Silverthorne). What are the top 3 courses within 90 mins of Denver?

I was thinking:

1) Common ground (I'm into design and haven't played a Doak course yet, are there really complimentary caddies most days?)

I've never heard of Commonground having complimentary caddies, but I'm also someone who's never been overly impressed with Commonground.

I was thinking:

I am a fan of CommonGround, but may have caught it on a good day. The redesign is quite nice. I do not think the caddies are complimentary, but it is worth a call to find out.

I prefer Fox Hollow or Fossil Trace over Arrowhead. With the exception of a couple holes, Arrowhead plays through a housing development and, to me, is not worth the premium. I would add Bear Dance south of Castle Rock as another option, and maybe play that over the Broadmoor. Broadmoor is nice, but unless you are staying on the property it is quite spendy.

There are a bunch of quality public courses around the Denver suburbs that are no more than 45 minutes from the city center. All are pretty fun and all have their own unique characteristics.

I have not played any mountain courses, but hear good things about Raven and 3 Peaks.

Enjoy your trip!

Drn92

Caddies are complimentary.

http://www.commongro...om/course-rates

"Take a caddie for no additional fee other than a recommended tip."

http://www.commongro...o-take-a-caddie

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Just so that you are aware, the caddie's are very young. They use it as a caddie academy for the higher end courses that have caddie programs. They are good to carry the bag, clean your ball, rake bunkers etc, but I wouldn't be looking for them to give great yardages or read putts. They are generally under-privileged kids, that are usually really great kids. The more you can help them out with etiquette and stuff the better. I play in the men's club out there, and during the summer I think almost everyone takes a caddie during our events. They are paid for their round through the Solich Academy, and then I usually throw them 20 bucks too. You'll get a card at the end to give them suggestions on what to do better, what they excelled at, etc. Like I said, great kids, just not maybe the full caddie experience some may expect. Many of them go on to caddie at Cherry Hills, etc.

Just so that you are aware, the caddie's are very young. They use it as a caddie academy for the higher end courses that have caddie programs. They are good to carry the bag, clean your ball, rake bunkers etc, but I wouldn't be looking for them to give great yardages or read putts. They are generally under-privileged kids, that are usually really great kids. The more you can help them out with etiquette and stuff the better. I play in the men's club out there, and during the summer I think almost everyone takes a caddie during our events. They are paid for their round through the Solich Academy, and then I usually throw them 20 bucks too. You'll get a card at the end to give them suggestions on what to do better, what they excelled at, etc. Like I said, great kids, just not maybe the full caddie experience some may expect. Many of them go on to caddie at Cherry Hills, etc.

Well, I didn't know that, but that's amazing. Props to Commonground for bringing kids to the game and doing some good in the process. Armed with that knowledge, I can safely say I'll be giving CG another shot sooner, rather than later.

Does anyone know of a good public course in the Denver metro with locker rooms with showers? I'd like to play a twilight round, shower and head straight to the airport?

Also How's raven at 3 peaks? Thx

Lone tree is a good course with locker rooms and is close to I-25 or E-470 for getting to the airport. Prob a 30 minute drive

What are the 3 best courses from the below list? I'm coming from AZ so would like courses that are very green (not desert) with Elevation changes.

Ridge at Castle Pines North

Fossil Trace

Bear Dance

Raven at 3 peaks

Arrowhead

Commonground

Of that group I'd recommend Ridge at CP, Fossil Trace, and Bear Dance. All will fit your needs.

drn92

What are the 3 best courses from the below list? I'm coming from AZ so would like courses that are very green (not desert) with Elevation changes.

Fossil Trace

Bear Dance

Raven at 3 peaks

Arrowhead

Commonground

Of that group I'd recommend Ridge at CP, Fossil Trace, and Bear Dance. All will fit your needs.

drn92

Ravens at Three Peaks for sure. If you're looking for 36, Breckenridge or Keystone are logical. Otherwise you could hit up Fossil Trace coming back to town.

Out of the courses in SW Denver area (Morrison / Lakewood etc.) what would be our best bet for a fun course for an early morning Sat tee time?

Fox Hollow is a solid choice. Deer Creek is another good choice. Those are basically your only two choices that are public. The Meadows is OK but not near the level of the other two. If you travel out of there, you can do Arrowhead or Fossil Trace.

I prefer the Meadows over Deer Creek.

For a "fun" course, I would probably say Arrowhead is your best bet. For a good course that is a better value, then I would say Fox Hollow (heck, play all 27). I would also consider Raccoon Creek, but it's overpriced.

If you're going to Red Rocks, have you considered Fossil Trace? It's literally 10 minutes from Red Rocks. There is a King Soopers grocery store and liquor store near by. You could play golf, pick up food and drinks, then tailgate at Red Rocks before the show.

If you're going to Red Rocks, have you considered Fossil Trace? It's literally 10 minutes from Red Rocks. There is a King Soopers grocery store and liquor store near by. You could play golf, pick up food and drinks, then tailgate at Red Rocks before the show.

Yea, we did look into Fossil. $100+ tee time for Saturday. Its a bit steep for my group. I think we will be back next year and plan on hitting that and Bear Dance up. Def - Looks like a fun / scenic course

Early AM tee time at Red Hawk to make the trek back in time for tailgating. Should work out, but will have the cooler all packed up the night before

Fossil Trace

Bear Dance

Raven at 3 peaks

Arrowhead

Commonground

Arrowhead

The ridge

Fossil trace

Titleist 910 D3, 9.5 Kai'li A1
Titleist 910 F, 15 Kai'li A1
Titleist 718 3 Iron
Titleist 712 AP1, 4-9
Odyssey ProType #9
Titleist SM7F, 48.10
Titleist SM6F, 52.08
Titleist SM6S, 56.10
Titleist SM4, 60.07

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Interested in how this trip went.

Our own trip is not till next year but I am also considering the likes of Bear Dance, Arrowhead, Commonground, The Ridge at CP and Arrowhead so the outcome would interest me.

As an extra, what are the best bars and grills in Denver for the first time visitor? Preferably in the downtown area. Is Larimer Square a prime area.

• 2 weeks later...

As an extra, what are the best bars and grills in Denver for the first time visitor? Preferably in the downtown area. Is Larimer Square a prime area.

I guess the question is what kind of bars you're interested in? Do you want EDM and table service? Or a bar with a vast selection of craft beers and every single sporting event imaginable on TV?

Back in the day, Larimer Square was the place to be (and they still have some fabulous restaurants). However, in the past few years, great bars and restaurants are now all over the downtown area.