2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tour issue taylormade driver heads

blakesmittkamp

Hello. I am seeing a few sellers here and on ebay selling "tour issue" TMade heads that have non-T serial numbers and just the Cor + sign. Ie it has a retail serial with only a + sign.

I've read these are just retail heads that have been Cor tested and not tour issue.

Can anyone help confirm one way or another on this? Please let me know if my question needs any clarification.

Thanks!

TSr2 10* - Tensei 1K White 60X
SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
MP18 MMC FLIHI 23* + New Level CB 623CB 5-PW- AMT TI X100
SM9 50.08, 54.10*, & 58.12D*-DG S200
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I guess it is just a crap shoot. It's just frustrating because there are so many SLDRs and Jetspeeds for sale that are marketed as tour issue with retail servials and the + sign...No idea what to think at this point!

TSr2 10* - Tensei 1K White 60X
SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
MP18 MMC FLIHI 23* + New Level CB 623CB 5-PW- AMT TI X100
SM9 50.08, 54.10*, & 58.12D*-DG S200
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

There are also a lot of SLDRs with toe screws without the serial number or +. It can be a tour issue driver without the T serial number but it has to have the "+" in order to be a true one (from what I've been told)

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

[quote name='pierso2' timestamp='1424099091' post='10962993']
There are also a lot of SLDRs with toe screws without the serial number or +. It can be a tour issue driver without the T serial number but it has to have the "+" in order to be a true one (from what I've been told)
[/quote]

I have two SLDR driver heads with toe screws. I did them myself. This is not usually a definite sign that a driver is tour issue.

Many of the "tour issue" heads seen on ebay and here are retail heads that have been COR tested and were probably in a drawer on the tour van at some point.

The only real tour issue heads are the V2 and V3 of the R1, just for one example. They are a different size and shape from the retail version. However, some pros may like the retail version for its size and shape and may want to play one. This is why the retail head is COR tested.

Technically they are not tour issue, per se, but they were tested for tour use and sent to the tour van.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

A 'T' serial number definitely does NOT appear on all Tour Issue SLDR's. I have two, one 460 and one 430 directly from the Tour van. Both have the '+' sign but neither have T serial numbers. Again, both were built for me at an event directly by the TM van.

I know that TM went away from T serial numbers for a while, but then went back again.

Unfortunately, things have become more complicated for us in terms of knowing the provenance of Tour Issue items.

I'd say that the toe screw means nothing in and of itself, but certainly I'd give credence to the '+' sign.

Just to add to the confusion, it is my understanding that the retail and the tour issue SLDR's are the same anyway, save for the fact that the tour issue items have been tested for COR, Face Angle, Loft, etc. Construction is the same, sizes are the same, cosmetics are the same. The toe screw became an on the spot hot fix that became the defacto solution to the issue of ensuring that the head port remained covered during tournament play.

One thing to remember is if you buy a new still in the wrap driver head off ebay that is "tour issue" and has the + stamp, it usually means it failed the COR test and cannot be used, usually its a dead head, some will be marked HOT and those are fun to play with until they crack.

Actually, from what I'm recalling if it has the + it'll have passed the COR test. Those that are hot or dead will NOT have a + because they won't have been certified as being ok to send to the van.

A quick look at broken niblick's ebay seems to confirm my recollection. The one's they have noted as being either hot or dead (CT in the low 230s) do not have +'s while the others do. What you'll sometimes find is those that have a + and passed CT testing have ridiculous face angles that probably made them less desirable in the van. The ones with 4-ish degree open faces etc.

Here is one noted as having a CT of 234 (well under legal limit):

[attachment=2620605:$_57.JPG]

[quote name='Royal Flush' timestamp='1424104861' post='10963697']
One thing to remember is if you buy a new still in the wrap driver head off ebay that is "tour issue" and has the + stamp, it usually means it failed the COR test and cannot be used, usually its a dead head, some will be marked HOT and those are fun to play with until they crack.
[/quote]

See Cameron's post on this. They do not get a + stamp unless they pass CT testing.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

[quote name='GolfProNo' timestamp='1424102942' post='10963485']
A 'T' serial number definitely does NOT appear on all Tour Issue SLDR's. I have two, one 460 and one 430 directly from the Tour van. Both have the '+' sign but neither have T serial numbers. Again, both were built for me at an event directly by the TM van.

I know that TM went away from T serial numbers for a while, but then went back again.

Unfortunately, things have become more complicated for us in terms of knowing the provenance of Tour Issue items.

I'd say that the toe screw means nothing in and of itself, but certainly I'd give credence to the '+' sign.

Just to add to the confusion, it is my understanding that the retail and the tour issue SLDR's are the same anyway, save for the fact that the tour issue items have been tested for COR, Face Angle, Loft, etc. Construction is the same, sizes are the same, cosmetics are the same. [b]The toe screw became an on the spot hot fix that became the defacto solution to the issue of ensuring that the head port remained covered during tournament play.[/b]
[/quote]

Correct. The original cap is only held on with double-sided tape. If that cap comes off during play, the club is considered to be altered.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Cameron Circle T' timestamp='1424105497' post='10963765']
Yeah, as far as I understand Thrill is correct - most tour issue SLDR's start with a "4" serial number.
[/quote]

Just to follow up, I also have another 430 that came from the TM Tour Department, with the toe screw but without a T serial or indeed a '+' sign on the hosel. This is a 'failed' COR head and was given to me to play around with very early on in the life cycle of the SLDR. The point I want to raise is that the serial number on this head starts with a 4 as per the comment above. I've no idea whether this is coincidence or a TM policy and haven't heard of the 4 denoting anything like this before.

2008 Burner FWY's, none of them had T serial numbers. There are a few prototypes with no serial but for the majority of the ones that were on tour they were retail. The only difference is they are measured so the van knows the starting specs. Then they hotmelt to weight, possibly bend to desired specs and glue. There is no secret sauce for a tour issued club. it's just a retail production head that is pulled, measured, spec'd, sent in a different box to be tested, if passes, makes it to any number of channels that can get a tour head. PGA, LPGA, college guys, even sometimes the custom department churns out TXXXXX heads, "the Vault" etc.

Only prototype heads are actually really different from the start. You can take a retail head and make it a tour head by COR testing, using lasers to measure, hotmelting, etc. Its the same thing.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I will add, that most of the time, these heads that Niblick or Golfhabit or the like is wholesaling out, never made it to a tour van. The specs were too far out of whack with the open faces. Typically, when you see something being sold by these guys that is 2-6 years old. that is a specific head saved for a player who preferred something old. or the tour guys find a box of prototypes in a closet. Those older ones were probably closer to a tour van trailer than any of the more recent ones popping up all the time. TM has boxes upon boxes of tour serialed + stamped heads left over. Most of these guys get them in giant cardboard boxes with cardboard sections. Heads only. Shafts in a seperate box maybe. But they order $xx,xxx or $xxx,xxx at at time from TaylorMade as a solution to wholesale out old equipment. The tour stuff is just a cherry on top of an order to sweeten the deal on, say, 1,000 R1 retail heads or 1,500 SLDR retail heads. Or boxes of just 4 & 6 irons. Maybe you get 100 tour heads along with it.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 1 month later...