2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

DaveChen chose not to put up. We will be beating the heat at Blue Mash at 7:20 tomorrow morning.

In b4 THDC tells DT 'Tips, PUOSU' at the first tee.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

I think eagle scheduled his knockout match in the brutal heat very much on purpose. He's got a great equalizer that Siegel does not possess....

No, not his skin color, you racist a-holes. His linen pants.

Sun umbrella and bucket hat. I'm good to go.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

DaveChen chose not to put up. We will be beating the heat at Blue Mash at 7:20 tomorrow morning.

What irons have you hit this week?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

wat

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Only my AP2's, haven't touched another iron set or taken a swing aside from putters since my 9 holes last weekend.

Only my AP2's, haven't touched another iron set or taken a swing aside from putters since my 9 holes last weekend.

How's the putter?

protos F4

How's the putter?

Feels all right. The Scotty feels like the Scotty always has and the #9 takes a tinge of getting used to with the shape.

Good times out at Hobbits yesterday with City, PQ, and Halcyan. The weather was just gorgeous, and the course was very enjoyable. The fairways are healing from the verti-cutting/aeration, and the greens were slow but rolling nicely. Of course, they'll probably screw around with something by the next time I get out there.

City and I had a good match going, and I ended up clipping him 3&2 using Domes' "just. make. pars." technique. I blocked my approach on the first, and he came up just short in the fringe. I made a nice up and down, and he failed to convert. One up. After a very fortuitous bounce from the trees on my drive, city and I both stuck our third shots and poured in birdies to halve the hole on 2. We both messed our pants a bit on 3 to halve with bogey/net bogey. City had a tough, long first putt on 4, but drained about a 10-12 footer to save par and halve it. I made a curling 7 footer on 5 for a great two putt, and picked up city's coin for another halve. City gave me a gift, making bogey (insane pitch shot to save bogey after dropping, BTW) on 6, while I saved par. Two up. City pulled some wizardry hitting a driver cut off the deck out of the trees on 7 after missing OB by a couple feet. He GIR'ed from there, and I hit a turd of an approach from 80 yards. I stuck one about 12 feet on 8 and missed, while city rolled in another 10 footer for par to halve. After a couple good smashes on 9, city chunked one just to the front of the green, and I blocked mine about 60 feet right, pin high. City hit a great first putt to about a foot, and I left mine 8 feet short. Three putt for me, to lose the hole. One up. I went hybrid-9i to about 15 feet below the hole on 10, and city hit another great recovery with his approach (low hook right up a couple feet off the green), and save par to halve. City hit what looked like a nice shot on 11, only to see it come up way short in the hazard. PQ was the only one that had the depth perception right when it was in the air. I put it about 20 feet below the hole, and two-putted for par. Two up. After some good approaches on 12, I missed from maybe 12 feet, and city gave me another gift missing from about 6 feet. I crapped my pants on 13, hitting a bad drive, and attempting to only half take my medicine, putting me in an even worse spot. City had his own troubles, but made his bogey, while I lipped out my bogey putt from 25 (!) feet, and made double. One up. 14 was the last stroke hole, and city let it slip through his fingers, making double. I hit a nice drive (I know it was good, because I came within a couple yards of PQ's 3 wood), and stuck it to about 15 feet, which I missed. Got the par to go two up. Couple good smashes from city and I off the tee on 15, and he's playing first. We were about 260 to the flag, which was in the back. City gives it a go, and ends up in the front bunker. I approach my ball with 6-iron in hand, to the tune of boos from PQ. I had that club in my hand the entire time, before city even hit. I also got some ball busting on the walk to my ball about how my decision to lay up was going to be the defining moment in the match when I look back. Well, I gave it some delayed juice tour sauce with a balls to the wall 55, and sucked it back to about 5 feet. City hit a nice sand shot, and missed the 12 footer for bird by about an Word not allowed hair to the right. I couldn't get a good read on my putt, and it ended up swinging a lot harder than I expected it to. Frustrating miss. I stick one to maybe 15 feet on 16, and city pulls one into the left trap. He wasn't able to get up and down, and after missing my first putt, I rolled in a one-footer FTW. I'm sure he'd like a couple back where he gave me gifts, but it was a good match. It was close the entire time, and you just know when there are putts on the line, City's gonna make damn near all of them.

City's game is definitely on the upswing. I think he's about to hit the summer groove, where everything starts to click. My sample size watching him with the pool noodle putter is increasing, and I'm shifting my position away from telling him to dump it. Speed was great, save for his attempts to putt from the sticky fringe.

I was kinda in the zone of the match mentally, so I can't recall a whole lot of what was going on with Hal and PQ. I know Hal putted like a dog on the front, only to turn around and play the back in only 12 putts, after gushing some positive vibes about the weather on 12. PQ did give me some good spank bank material, with his 3 wood tee shot on 14. Seems like he's just struggling to get the face square at impact right now. When it's square, his ball flies in a way nobody else on here is capable of recreating. Not even close.

My game was solid yesterday. I had 2 misses with the driver that definitely cost me (and one that a tree monkey saved my Word not allowed on, throwing my ball back to the fairway), but was pounding it down the stripe otherwise. Irons were solid. I had tons of good looks, but didn't make a damn thing. I had maybe 5 and 6 feet respectively for bird on 15 and 18, hit the putts I wanted, but both just curled harder than I played for. It was a couple putts, and maybe a better decision on 13 away from a nice level par round. It's always a couple somethings away from being what we really want though, so I'm happy with it. I'm just glad to be putting together a decent stretch of play. Pegging it up once a week with no practice in between, it's been difficult to get these kinds of stretches of play going, so I'm going to ride it out for as long as I can.

EDIT: I also had the fellas over to the new house for pizza, wings, and beers after the round. It was a good time, even if I had to relegate us to the back deck to avoid waking the kids. I know it was a few minutes out of the way versus just stopping in the bar at Hobbits, so thanks for making the detour. It was a pleasure hosting you all in the 'burbs.

Abb's under-selling his round a little. He was balls money all day. 75 from the tips at Hobbits. As good a round as I've seen from tips at Waverly or Hobbits. PQ's put up a couple like that, but Abb was down the middle, on the green all day. Made a couple great par putts, super UD on 1 when it looked like I had the advantage. Stuffing wedges, hitting green from everything inside 200. I mean 8 and 16 were playing 200 and 185 and he had about 30 total feet of putts on them.

He got (very?) lucky on 2. But, other than that, he could have been about 4 strokes better, too. I think he hit about 12 fairways. 12 or 13 greens. One 3-putt and it was like a 100 footer. He also could have played out towards the fairway on 13 instead of trying to go over the trees and made a bogey there, which he would have done because he could not miss a green.

I got it to 1 down after 13, then doubled 14 with a stroke to go 2 down. That was really it, because Abb was giving nothing away and it was 4 to go with no strokes. He finished with 4 straight pars, so I would have needed 2 birdies to halve him.

I had some ridiculous par saves. On 7 I pushed a drive right a couple feet from OB. I had a good lie on pine straw, and had limbs in front of me, and on a straight shot under those limbs, probably about 150 through the fairway into blocked out rough on the left side. But. . .driver off the deck always fades. Kept it under the limbs, low, burning running fade and wound up in the fairway about 165 out. Don't think I haven't hit that shot before. Driver off the deck can be a great option when you're punching out from trees.

On 10, I was about a yard from the woods left, 20 yards short of the ditch. 175 in. I had limbs in front of me again, and shut down a 4 iron, punched her under the limbs and had it roll right up the front of the green and come to rest pin high fringe. Decent frutt from there and then sank the come-backer.

It all went t1ts up on 11, though. Hit an 8 iron that I thought was all over the stick, and it came up short in the hazard.

I put up a 7.4 differential, but doubled BOTH stroke holes, and doubled the easiest hole on the course and lost a ball on 17 for a double. Bogeyed 1 with a 9 iron. Bogeyed 6 with a wedge in my hand. Doubled 3 from 150 fairway. I'm hitting good shots and making birdies, but you just can't be that sloppy if you want to take digits off a 5 index. Can not do it. Got to be sharp for 18 most times out.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Anyone ever have an issue with the mesh screen separating from the insert on an Odyssey putter?

I haven't but I bet Callaway customer service will make it tight

protos F4

Interesting stat comparison. I feel like my par 5 performance has improved with my change in strategy. The numbers are in agreement, at least as of my last handful of rounds.

EDIT : Picture file looks like garbage. If you can't read it, my par 3 and 4 scoring average the last 5 rounds are the same as for the last 20 rounds. My par 5 scoring average the last 5 rounds is 5.0, versus 5.4 for the last 20 rounds.

Anyone ever have an issue with the mesh screen separating from the insert on an Odyssey putter?

I bet they will. Afraid that because I have already epoxied the screen back on once (on the heel, now its peeling off on the toe) they will give me grief/void warranty.

I'll shoot them a note. I have never had any luck using local retailers for warranty issues unless I have bought the item there.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Ocean Pines Junior Tournament yesterday, my son tied for 2nd and played really well, lost to a pro's kid. But my daughter finally got to play against other girls finally! AND SHE WON!! Sweet trophy, but because my daughter is a girly girl, she felt the trophy needed a certain something, something fit for royalty:

The scoring was odd for this- normally for the little kids they stop at double par, but the scorer scored everything but total whiffs. So you had kids who had a 14 on a hole, etc. Felt a little bad for the kids that they did that, but it worked out.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

PERIOD 8 LEADERBOARD - JULY 1–JULY 14

double points were awarded for #RRC participants who placed in the top 15

Screen_Shot_2016_07_21_at_9_37_41_AM.png

2016 OVERALL:

Screen_Shot_2016_07_21_at_9_37_54_AM.png

JJ_YELLOW_JERSEY.png

with 5 periods to go, it's getting more volatile at the top. 3 separate leaders over the past 3 periods (THDC, sully, JJ). citygame and halcyan making their moves after indices "normalized." bad couple weeks for me n sull, but still within striking distance. huge leap by CC2016MVP expected after period 9.

next double point bonus: the fourball outing at UMD in early august. contact fabb to check if there is more room.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I bet they will. Afraid that because I have already epoxied the screen back on once (on the heel, now its peeling off on the toe) they will give me grief/void warranty.

I'll shoot them a note. I have never had any luck using local retailers for warranty issues unless I have bought the item there.

Thats the usual route but sometimes a good customer service rep will make it worth a phone call.

protos F4

with 5 periods to go, it's getting more volatile at the top. 3 separate leaders over the past 3 periods (THDC, sully, JJ). citygame and halcyan making their moves after indices "normalized." bad couple weeks for me n sull, but still within striking distance. huge leap by CC2016MVP expected after period 9.

Lots of moving and shaking at the top. It should be exciting to see how it finishes. I'm feeling like a party pooper for continually neglecting to submit any scores. At least there weren't any stipulations about what happens to the person that comes in last place, like in RRC1 when Sully was stripped of his dignity nothing happened at all.

Lots of moving and shaking at the top. It should be exciting to see how it finishes. I'm feeling like a party pooper for continually neglecting to submit any scores. At least there weren't any stipulations about what happens to the person that comes in last place, like in RRC1 when Sully was stripped of his dignity nothing happened at all.

you're not in last. i just keep cropping the leaderboard there for humorous spiteful pejorative mocking personal reasons.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Had a great range session last night at Independence. Worked on keeping the hips deep and turning. I have a tendency to early extend sometimes causing a wipey slice. Sometimes I get a little flat if I get too deep and it can cause a little more draw spin than I like, but it is much more consistent and nowhere near as offline as the slice. Had a guy watching me hit for a while and he said it sounds awesome when I hit. However, a guy showed up right after that and made me feel like a mere mortal again.

THDC played well, probably not as well as he has been playing, but I gave him no competition starting the back 9. What happened on 18 will stay between us ;)

2 consecutive long irons on 3 and 4 (started on the back) were 40-60yds left. Gone.

Funny story of the day, we both are par putting from 2-3 feet on 1 for par. Dave is stroking, I walk up and slap mine past the hole to pick it up, tell Dave he won it. Get back to the cart and Dave asked if I was sure he got a stroke. I then realize that was #10 and not 1 and gave him the hole. Started off well.

Glad we got it done and good luck to his comp in the next round!

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black