MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I'm just straight up missing the 3rd green way too much, with short irons and wedges no less. Hopefully playing to a longer yardage will help alleviate that.

How many rounds are making up those #s? There's a huge amount of your #s that could just be bad shots, not bad strategy. E.g. I can't imagine there are many times on average where you are hitting flares like what you are saying on #6. That's probably a statistical anomaly as much as anything.

Golfer827 is at Golfsmith right now, demo'ing the iBlades against his AP2s. Full trip report coming later.

After a wicked nap, of course.

How many rounds are making up those #s? There's a huge amount of your #s that could just be bad shots, not bad strategy. E.g. I can't imagine there are many times on average where you are hitting flares like what you are saying on #6. That's probably a statistical anomaly as much as anything.

I've got 10 rounds with stats at Hobbits.

The flare on 6 is very real. Ask city, or PQ. I swear it's at least 1/3 of the time, if not closer to 1/2.

Without numbers, I can tell you I've missed the 3rd green a ton, mostly short. I've landed just over and rolled back down into that front bunker at least 3-4 times. Just not playing the yardage of my approaches long enough, mostly.

Interesting nuggets from GD:

============

Rounds being played around the United States were already experiencing a major increase early in the calendar year, as the National Golf Foundation reported that rounds were up for the first time since 2012.

This was only further strengthened by a 5.3 percent year-over-year increase in June, according to Golf Datatech, assisting in bringing the year-to-date uptick to 2.7 percent.

We have the East to thank for this boom, as the New England and Mid-Atlantic regions combined for a massive 38.8 percent increase in rounds in June. Rounds played in New York alone had increased by 28.2 percent year-over-year in June, as well as 32.6 percent across Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

Furthermore, the rain across the country had dropped by a large double-digit margin in nearly every region, except for the Pacific, where there was a whopping 215 percent increase. But that only took their rounds played down by 1.1 percent.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I've got 10 rounds with stats at Hobbits.

The flare on 6 is very real. Ask city, or PQ. I swear it's at least 1/3 of the time, if not closer to 1/2.

I don't doubt it's real. But it's not normal for you to hit a flare 30-50% of the time. It means it's either a bad streak or the hole is in your head a bit, not that you have a bad strategy. I still think less club is a good thing for you to try on that hole, just for a different reason (the far trees, not the right trees).

US Women's Amateur is going on this week at my BIL's course.

Here's some info, including TV.

http://www.usga.org/championships/2016/u-s--women-s-amateur/articles/u-s--women-s-amateur-fact-sheet.html

The 8th hole is VERY difficult and has like a 230 carry over a creek (from the WHITES), but apparently they're playing it from some up tees so it's not going to be as tough.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Fabb --

Hole 6 lines you up to the right, and I'm sure you're scared about missing left. You need to hit driver there because you don't like your 3W off the tee and if you don't nut your hybrid, you're going to leave yourself 165 in on a 372 yard hole. It's a birdie hole. You just need to fix your alignment and/or your head. Miss it left a couple times, and then find the center.

I think that's general advice for anyone who has a trouble hole with a one-way miss on a hole. Sometimes you just need to change your brain. . .you need to change the shot shape, or aim point, or something. There are lots of holes like this. I used to be so scared of left on 16 at Waverly, that I was hitting massive blocks right. I finally had to let myself bring left into play to play the hole better.

Hole 3 at Hobbits, I almost always just find the back of the green yardage on my gps, and hit that. It's uphill, so you should be in the middle of the green and also, it's an easier up & down from the back than the front. #teamGPS

13 might be harder than 14, but : that's not how handicap holes are calculated. The fact that you think 14 is easier is part of why it's a lower handicap hole.

Because for a bogey golfer, they're BOTH 450, and both have trouble right and both have greenside sand. Bogey golfers get destroyed on those holes, probably equally. But, 13 is a tough hole even for a scratch. That's a wide fairway, but a narrow window for a good shot to the green (you've hit fairway a lot, but not the green a lot). Sometimes you need to lay up. I've also seen more penalty strokes taken by A golfers on that hole than 14. I think.

13 -- for front pin, play the yardage, cheat left. For any other pin, pick the best club you can find for cover the front right bunker, and hit it towards the 2/3rds point of the green. Left miss is MUCH better than right.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Are you guys talking about Hobbits or UMD?

Hobbits.

Trying to analyze how to improve the way I play my home course. There are definitely holes that I perform more poorly on, that aren't necessarily difficult holes. I'll concede 13 to some degree, because it's just a tough hole. I expect to score worse on it than other holes.

Fabb --

Hole 6 lines you up to the right, and I'm sure you're scared about missing left. You need to hit driver there because you don't like your 3W off the tee and if you don't nut your hybrid, you're going to leave yourself 165 in on a 372 yard hole. It's a birdie hole. You just need to fix your alignment and/or your head. Miss it left a couple times, and then find the center.

I think that's general advice for anyone who has a trouble hole with a one-way miss on a hole. Sometimes you just need to change your brain. . .you need to change the shot shape, or aim point, or something. There are lots of holes like this. I used to be so scared of left on 16 at Waverly, that I was hitting massive blocks right. I finally had to let myself bring left into play to play the hole better.

I'm not scared of missing left. I'm scared of missing right lol. I'm hitting shots that are incredibly far right of where I think I'm aiming. In reality, I'm probably unintentionally aiming incredibly far right.

I do tend to agree about thinking I need to find a comfort zone with driver on that hole. It's really a hole where you can make an aggressive run at birdie, so I feel like I need to get a wedge in my hand, not a 140-170 shot. Not to mention, that same flare with the hybrid will leave me much further away AND still in jail.

I dunno. It's in my head. That much is certain.

There's some weird karma going on with hole 6.

At the Cap Cup, bangas sliced one over in the long grass there, and we never found his ball. However, he did find a creepy doll that someone discarded (or placed) there. I think the creepy doll uses some sort of creepy doll magic to attract balls to that area.

I didn't see the creepy doll last time I played, meaning it probably got up and moved around a bit to keep itself hidden.

Hobbits.

I should play 14 better. I've had a lot of doubles and triples there. I try to be too perfect. Just get one in play and then worry about making par. Thing is, even when I pound one down the middle, it's a tough par. I need to be more careful.

I'm not talking about making it a 3-banger, but I at least need to make it an easy bogey 10/10. Can't be in a position where I'm missing the green with my 3rd

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Basically, I don't think I should have any hole that is worse than .5 over par. That's not asking a lot.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Here's city, with a little extra data.

GiCCnzz.png

Unwanted two cents.

1 - I dunno. I've seen you bogey this hole from position A off the tee too many times. I'd honestly bet that more often than not, it's just because you aren't warmed up. I definitely think that with no warm-up, the first approach shot of the day is harder than the first tee shot. Easy to just not quite catch it right, fan one, etc.

8 - Quit hooking it near/into the hazard.

10 - You're starting to find your tee shot there. That's what it's all about on that hole.

13 - Is tough. Can't say I've really witnessed a singular bad tendency from you on that hole.

14 - It seems like you're not in good position off the tee enough on 14. The hillside to the right of that fairway really helps balls funnel to the middle.

17 - Another one you're starting to find your tee shot on.

All around, I think there are still a couple tee shots out there that you don't feel like you own quite yet. I predict a low round at Hobbits once you start finding your comfort zone on them.

Here's city, with a little extra data.

GiCCnzz.png

Unwanted two cents.

1 - I dunno. I've seen you bogey this hole from position A off the tee too many times. I'd honestly bet that more often than not, it's just because you aren't warmed up. I definitely think that with no warm-up, the first approach shot of the day is harder than the first tee shot. Easy to just not quite catch it right, fan one, etc.

8 - Quit hooking it near/into the hazard.

10 - You're starting to find your tee shot there. That's what it's all about on that hole.

13 - Is tough. Can't say I've really witnessed a singular bad tendency from you on that hole.

14 - It seems like you're not in good position off the tee enough on 14. The hillside to the right of that fairway really helps balls funnel to the middle.

17 - Another one you're starting to find your tee shot on.

All around, I think there are still a couple tee shots out there that you don't feel like you own quite yet. I predict a low round at Hobbits once you start finding your comfort zone on them.

You predict?

I shot 74 from the blues there and 78 from the the tips there with a 2 shot penalty.

It's been a LOT better since I straightened out my irons. I was having issues on 5 and 8. Especially 8. I've also missed some straight forward U&D's there. 3-putted from 15 feet the day I played Goosehook. I just haven't played that hole very well, but I'm hitting those 180-200 shots a lot better over the last few weeks.

Hopefully, it persists.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

There's some weird karma going on with hole 6.

At the Cap Cup, bangas sliced one over in the long grass there, and we never found his ball. However, he did find a creepy doll that someone discarded (or placed) there. I think the creepy doll uses some sort of creepy doll magic to attract balls to that area.

I didn't see the creepy doll last time I played, meaning it probably got up and moved around a bit to keep itself hidden.

I can't emphasize strongly enough how creepy this creepy doll creeped.

Since I've never played UMD I have a few questions 1. Do they have a beverage cart 2.Does said cart contain Yuengling and 3. If there is a cart is the cart girl nice looking?

On a weekend, I'm sure you can count on 1 and 2. If it's during the school year for UMD, I'm sure you can count on 3 as well.

On a random Thursday in August, I suspect you'll be 0/3. wrong

Since I've never played UMD I have a few questions 1. Do they have a beverage cart 2.Does said cart contain Yuengling and 3. If there is a cart is the cart girl nice looking?

On a weekend, I'm sure you can count on 1 and 2. If it's during the school year for UMD, I'm sure you can count on 3 as well.

On a random Thursday in August, I suspect you'll be 0/3.

There are usually golf carts on weekday afternoons

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

School is still out so I think 3 is a "no" for right now.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

City, this rack's FYEO. Everyone else, gaze elsewhere.

UMD is walkable for sure. Has some hills, but tees and greens are close.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"