MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I've been great at throwing away money but kicked myself in the butt early last year to start taking things seriously.

I have an active Roth, the 401k through work is pretty well diversified. I may roll out some of that into another account if I ever change companies, or take the pension payout from my current job and roll it into something.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Questions for City and Sull and the rest of the financial dabbling guys:

1) What site or services are you using to keep your investments at? I started investing with Edward Jones when I was 21 (almost pre-internet) then moved with her to Merrill Lynch. Admittedly, I feel like sometimes I'm getting fee upon fee and it doesn't feel like I get much for it.

2) Where are you investing your money right now? I have been putting more in fixed income, and SDY just to follow the market, but I've got some cash building up and just can't pull the trigger on anything.

3) More of a question for those with kids, but are you doing a 529 plan? I am for my kids, but it seems like it just is never going to be enough in it anyway.

1) I've liked having my Schwab account. I have a friend who uses Fidelity. I think it's a wash with either. Their fees are very low and having them act as my bank is great because I don't have to pay ATM fees anywhere, they all get reversed.

2) Investing is based on tolerance. I think you have to own a tech company, Amazon, Facebook, Google(Alphabet), Microsoft, Apple... I own Facebook and Disney. Love me the dividend stocks or mutual fund/ETF dividend. Pure play, Verizon. Who else is paying 4.5% with ridiculous barriers to entry to their industry?

3) I have a 529 plan for each kid. T.Rowe in Maryland is fine and you get a MD state income tax deduction for going through them. Vanguard performs a little better and also has very low maintenance fees, but no tax incentive unless you live in Nevada. Prepaid tuition sounds great on paper, but unless you're committed to sending a child to UMD, I don't trust the rules to remain the same 13 years from now. Not to mention if you do the nominal payment plan for 13 years or less, you're obligating yourself to a $300+/mo payment until college, or $66K+ when I did the math. And that's before the books/apps. I would also look at Community College to manage the costs more effectively.

When I lived in California, I could attend a CC and take a prescribed list of classes, get the appropriate grades, and I was guaranteed a junior transfer to UCLA on a business or economics BA/BS. Man, I was an idiot for not taking that one. :slow_en:

Before law school I was an investment advisor for UBS. I wouldn't recommend using UBS, Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, or any other big firm. Go with an online site like E Trade and buy index funds or index ETFs. They're cheap and will beat most managed funds. Unless you have a couple hundred grand, there's not much reason to buy individual stocks. It's easier and less risky to just use index ETFs.

During law school I clerked for FINRAs enforcement division. Got to work on a lot of cases against the brokers. They definitely put making money for themselves ahead of making their clients money.

Anyway... Played yesterday at Sunday River Golf Club in Maine. It's a RTJ Jr. course in the mountains with some incredible views and fun holes with lots of elevation changes. I got a golfnow deal for $43 with cart - kind of amazing compared to DC rates. The golfnow foursome was me, a teacher from Maine, and a couple from Florida. The wife was just learning to play golf. It was going to be a long day. Fortunately, the husband told us after the first hole to go ahead, so the teacher and I played in about 3:45. I played really well and had an 81, the teacher had a 79. I realized that I've gone from having about 10 swing thoughts to now having none, and I'm playing a lot better. Go figure.

Here are a few photos. Membership for the course is $995 a year. I guess the downside is you can't play half the year.

I've never played Sunday River, but it looks awesome. I look at that picture and I can almost feel the mosquitoes and black flies.

Sunday River was originally a ski resort. They built that golf course some years back.

The other big ski resort up there is Sugarloaf, and they also have a great golf course.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I've been great at throwing away money but kicked myself in the butt early last year to start taking things seriously.

I did stupid things in investing early on. Turned a couple grand into a couple hundred a couple times.

All were from reading some dude on line or listening to a person in real life, or thinking something like, "that's a great company. Their stock has to be good."

Not that I didn't have some good scores, too.

You (the royal YOU) always need to keep in mind that when a company is "good", every knows it's good. It's priced into the stock. There needs to be a reason you know it's good, and no one else knows it's good, and guess what. . .YOU don't know that. Same for assuming a stock is underpriced.

Buying the index -- to me -- is like saying, "I trust American Business to MAKE MONEY. Here's a little of mine in case you need it and when you make more money with it, hand some back and a little more." It's that simple.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You (the royal YOU) always need to keep in mind that when a company is "good", every knows it's good. It's priced into the stock. There needs to be a reason you know it's good, and no one else knows it's good, and guess what. . .YOU don't know that. Same for assuming a stock is underpriced.

I've always thought its the same as sports betting in that regard - especially since the advent of social media. Whatever you think you know about a team - everyone else knows too. The sharp bettors have already priced all known information into the line. If you think you know something about the local weather in some small podunk town college game - everyone else knows too.

Twenty, thirty years ago maybe its different. But if you think you know something about a stock - thousands of other people know it too. .

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I did stupid things in investing early on. Turned a couple grand into a couple hundred a couple times.

All were from reading some dude on line or listening to a person in real life, or thinking something like, "that's a great company. Their stock has to be good."

Not that I didn't have some good scores, too.

Buying the index -- to me -- is like saying, "I trust American Business to MAKE MONEY. Here's a little of mine in case you need it and when you make more money with it, hand some back and a little more." It's that simple.

Agreed, and I'm not a stock buyer really other than accepting my profit sharing and taking advantage of my Exelon pricing.

I was more talking about not maximizing my contributions while in my 20s. I should have been doubling down in the 2008-11 timeframe when I was starting to work.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

If sports teams (any sport) were stocks - which team would you buy?

Im buying the Oakland Raiders bc i think the cost is low right now - i dont think their competition is that great right now - i think they will over achieve this year

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

THREAD CHALLENGE:

post an ascii art representation of yourself (or screenname) and/or anyone other thread denizen you'd like to annoy.

me:

\=======-. ,~\ .-=======/

a\=======\_||_/=======/

aaaa\\=====##=====//

aaaaaaaaaa\##/

aaaaaaaaaaa/||\

fabb:

(((o)))

citygame:

_ ,-, _

,--, /: :\/': :`\/: :\

|`; ' `,' `.; `: |

| | | ' | |.

| : | | CF | ||

| :. | : | : | : | \

\__/: :.. : :.. | :.. | )

`---',\___/,\___/ /'

`==._ .. . /'

`-::-'

bangass:

(((o)))

sully:

(^)(^)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Questions for City and Sull and the rest of the financial dabbling guys:

1) What site or services are you using to keep your investments at? I started investing with Edward Jones when I was 21 (almost pre-internet) then moved with her to Merrill Lynch. Admittedly, I feel like sometimes I'm getting fee upon fee and it doesn't feel like I get much for it.

2) Where are you investing your money right now? I have been putting more in fixed income, and SDY just to follow the market, but I've got some cash building up and just can't pull the trigger on anything.

3) More of a question for those with kids, but are you doing a 529 plan? I am for my kids, but it seems like it just is never going to be enough in it anyway.

My company has Fidelity. So I run my retirement stuff through them. Large funds and just let the money sit.

My personal account is with Cap One only since its my bank and the fees weren't too bad. 75% of the account is tied up in Vanguard Index funds, the other I make mid plays. Research companies and look for good value. I don't bet anything that would crush me if it were to go south. I'm studying for the CFA, so I kinda use this as applied learning since I am not at a bank.

Im buying the Oakland Raiders bc i think the cost is low right now - i dont think their competition is that great right now - i think they will over achieve this year

If you look at the NFL season win totals for this year, I'd buy the over for Oakland, SF, New England and Washington.

I'm selling Denver and Cincinnati.

That looks like a good pick; I just don't trust the management. I'm sticking with the Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots. I think Indianapolis and Green Bay are good value picks this year. The Redskins are a value trap, you think it's a buy low, but they will stay low and likely go lower this year.

Not that anyone asked, but I will add that the biggest problem for most people I see isn't investment strategy, it's that they don't save enough of their paycheck. I don't feel like I save nearly enough and I'm way ahead of the vast majority of people I talk with. I'd say people who contribute the 5% to 401k and get the 5% company match are probably better than average, and that's not close to enough (unless your salary is ridiculous and that means you are maxing out the 401k!). If any of you are spending more on golf than you are putting toward a retirement account, you need to re-evaluate your plans.

Not that anyone asked, but I will add that the biggest problem for most people I see isn't investment strategy, it's that they don't save enough of their paycheck. I don't feel like I save nearly enough and I'm way ahead of the vast majority of people I talk with. I'd say people who contribute the 5% to 401k and get the 5% company match are probably better than average, and that's not close to enough (unless your salary is ridiculous and that means you are maxing out the 401k!). If any of you are spending more on golf than you are putting toward a retirement account, you need to re-evaluate your plans.

This. I'd also add - buy a house. A townhouse. A condo, something. I'm stunned at the people I know in the area that are still renting in their late 30s/early 40s, still paying obscene rents that are well over what they would pay on a 30 yr fixed. Even something small, that you own, that you can take the mortgage interest deduction on - is better than renting all things being equal.

Nike Vapor line going for $150 for drivers, $99 for woods, and $89 for hybrids

ive not hit nike in years - is this line good enough to just grab one for those prices?

I liked the Vapor 5w I hit - think it came with the S+ blueboard too - was a great shaft in it.

$99 seems like a pretty good deal on them.

Went to the range for a good practice session last night. Was really grooving the irons after getting warmed up. Hooked up the skypro to Fabb's old titleist with x100s and my clubs with dynalite xp to compare. The only noticeable difference was tempo was slower with the x100s. Using the eye test, dispersion was probably a bit better with the x100s, but I definitely didn't hit as many flush, which might be more a factor of the clubhead (Titleist 735 cb vs JPX 800 Pro). I was hitting the 800 Pros solidly, but definitely still pull hooking some.

Now, do I re-shaft the JPX 800 Pros with X100s? Fabb, were those built at standard length? The PW seemed about 1/2" shorter than my current one. Do you know if they were tapered or parallel tip? I have regular s300s in the GW and 4 iron, so x100s in the 5-PW would be ok I think.

Looking back on the skypro and comparing some old iron swings (pre lessons) vs last night, my swing has changed a lot. I used to be about 10* inside and 3* outside at the half-back and half-down points. Now I'm consistently around 0* and -1*, respectively. My keys at this point are just trusting the swing and focusing on the basics like keeping my head down. I'm close, which I know sounds insane after lots of rounds in the high 80s.

Went to the range for a good practice session last night. Was really grooving the irons after getting warmed up. Hooked up the skypro to Fabb's old titleist with x100s and my clubs with dynalite xp to compare. The only noticeable difference was tempo was slower with the x100s. Using the eye test, dispersion was probably a bit better with the x100s, but I definitely didn't hit as many flush, which might be more a factor of the clubhead (Titleist 735 cb vs JPX 800 Pro). I was hitting the 800 Pros solidly, but definitely still pull hooking some.

Now, do I re-shaft the JPX 800 Pros with X100s? Fabb, were those built at standard length? The PW seemed about 1/2" shorter than my current one. Do you know if they were tapered or parallel tip? I have regular s300s in the GW and 4 iron, so x100s in the 5-PW would be ok I think.

Looking back on the skypro and comparing some old iron swings (pre lessons) vs last night, my swing has changed a lot. I used to be about 10* inside and 3* outside at the half-back and half-down points. Now I'm consistently around 0* and -1*, respectively. My keys at this point are just trusting the swing and focusing on the basics like keeping my head down. I'm close, which I know sounds insane after lots of rounds in the high 80s.

even if you stayed in the flex you're using now, switching from Dynalite XP to Dynamic Gold is a pretty significant change.

I'm a total homer for DG, never even considered using another iron shaft.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Nike Vapor line going for $150 for drivers, $99 for woods, and $89 for hybrids

ive not hit nike in years - is this line good enough to just grab one for those prices?

Yes, they are good. The flex 440 driver feels and sounds weird, but has performed really well for me. It'll take time getting used to the sound/feel, it is very muted. Hit the Pro, it was good, but didnt stand out. Never hit the Speed. Ordered a fairway, a strong 3w, probably will crank it down to 12* when I'm not hitting driver well (which is 90% of the time).

At this point, I think you can buy any of Vapor Fly lines an not really lose out on much especially with that pricing. It's just a matter of, can you get over the Photo Blue colorway?

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

Getting some updates from BIL about the Women's Am at his course.

Some good numbers going up. He said it's been pretty conservative pins, and greens are a little slow, but still pretty impressive golf.

It's on Fox Sports 1 from 3-6 today.

Photo gallery here. Mostly close-ups, but you get to see the course in some photos.

http://www.usga.org/...y.html#expanded

This the 13th green, with the 14th in the background. The 14th is a 195 yard par 3 and you come in right over that middle bunker and the green is raised from the tee box. You can't really see the surface. I actually thought this would be a VERY difficult hole for them. I've see people play to that fairway portion left of the green and try to get up and down for par instead of bringing the bunkers into play.

What I'm saying is. . .those two balls on the green. . .incredible shots. I actually don't even know how you get a ball to stop there unless you can hit a 195 yard shot way in the air, like PQ or Goosehook can.

ETA: you can't really see the balls in the upload, but if you go to the photo gallery, it's photo 41.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green