2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Fox Broadcast - US Open

TKD24

100% worst coverage of a golf tournament I have ever seen.... the Holly interviews look like something from a Saturday morning WCW back stage interview... I keep looking for Mean Gene to come out and help her....and whats with all the channel changing...1st 3 days its on fox sports 1 which I couldn't get...then today when I get home and can get that its swapped to local fox affiliate..which I had all 3 first days... F-U fox...announcers are worst ever... and you cant see the ball on the green... can your camera men get clse than 300 yards to tape their footage???? good grief what a fail....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bravedave' timestamp='1434904197' post='11800462']
I guess Fox could shoot from behind the player as he hits then quickly get a tight shot of the ball in the air and hold it as it hits the green and keep the shot tight. Then they can have cameraman who shot from behind the player get along side him and the director can cut to the player as he walks after his shot. That's what we normally see in a broadcast 98% of the time.

I like the way Fox is doing it. More wide angles with a little more feel of being at the course. If the ball gets lost now and then so be it. For me tight shots of the ball landing get old fast. They're utilizing HD and they're only going to get better at. The color of the course doesn't help with losing the ball and sometimes the balls is in the shot but we can't see it because the fairways and greens aren't a deep rich color.
[/quote]

sounds like a great idea.... how can we talk them into doing it???? and while we are at it dump all the football and baseball guys.... I mean I heard one of them describe dustin johnsons drive on 16 as a "three finger" shot.... I get the analogy... as in a off speed fastball..but wth .... why not have Berman on their going "back back back back back back back....GOoNNNNNEEE!!!! ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm not quite sure how much fox paid to get the rights to the U.S. Open, but whatever it is the USGA and fox execs should be livid. This should have been an awesome open to watch on tv. Between the views and difficulty of the course I was hoping for the best, but got the worst.

Callaway BB B21 9*
Callaway XR 18* 
Titlesist 910h 21*
G10 28*
Ping G, 6 - U
Callaway PM Grind 56*
Scotty Golo 5
Cally Truvis / Srixon Z star

NBC and CBS would have done a much better job with the coverage but since it is the first year for Fox I am willing to cut them some slack. Buck is OK but I prefer Shane O'Donoghue. Norman is better than expected and I think Faxon and Flesch are quite good. Most of the other contributors are just fair. Biggest problem I have is with the camera work. Perhaps it is because the layout is so challenging but the camera operators seem to be having a lot of trouble following the ball. I expect we will see some personnel shakeups before Oakmont in 2016.

Here's my summary critique of the Fox coverage. First, the good:

The former players they've selected (Norman, Weiskopf, Faxon, Flesch, and Inkster) are doing a really nice job and all of them have a huge up-side. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that this is the best collection of former players -- who are usually terrible at television -- that I've seen.

The sheer volume of coverage is great, very few commercials.

The wide angle camera shots, the pro tracers, and the shading on the greens are a great addition.

There has been some good on-course audio -- Saturday on the 18th tee box with DJ and Grace among a few other examples.

Now the bad:

Joe Buck doesn't know anything about golf and he talks too much. So he fits right in on American sports TV!

Holly Sonders is a caricature of herself.

A lot of what I've had issues with is technical / production type things. It's just felt like amateur hour. Audio mis-matched from video, lack of basic scoring/standings, lack of knowledge on club selection, inability of the camera to pick up the ball, etc. Just feels like a lot of this is basic behind the scenes blocking and tackling that Fox should get right. The good news is that they should be able to get it right -- right away -- and if they keep this crew of on-air people (minus Joe Buck, yeah right, dream on, he isn't going anywhere, sadly...) the coverage could be really outstanding.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1434913468' post='11801318']

The former players they've selected (Norman, Weiskopf, Faxon, Flesch, and Inkster) are doing a really nice job and all of them have a huge up-side. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that this is the best collection of former players -- who are usually terrible at television -- that I've seen.

The wide angle camera shots, the pro tracers, and the shading on the greens are a great addition.

There has been some good on-course audio -- Saturday on the 18th tee box with DJ and Grace among a few other examples.

Now the bad:

Joe Buck doesn't know anything about golf and he talks too much. So he fits right in on American sports TV!

A lot of what I've had issues with is technical / production type things. It's just felt like amateur hour. Audio mis-matched from video, lack of basic scoring/standings, lack of knowledge on club selection, inability of the camera to pick up the ball, etc. Just feels like a lot of this is basic behind the scenes blocking and tackling that Fox should get right. The good news is that they should be able to get it right -- right away -- and if they keep this crew of on-air people (minus Joe Buck, yeah right, dream on, he isn't going anywhere, sadly...) the coverage could be really outstanding.
[/quote]

Joe Buck is a 5/6 handicap and plays roughly 2/3 times a week.

Where does this "he isn't a golfer/he doesn't know anything about golf!" come from?

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

100% of the spectators that Norman spoke to were excited about the US Open....I'm not sure if there's too many people who, when getting the chance to talk to Greg Norman, would say "oh well I mean the US Open it's alright I guess".

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5*
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15*
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* and 20*
Callaway Razr X Forged 5-PW
Callaway Forged 52* and 56*
Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

Now the bad:

[/quote]

Fantastic post...

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1434913857' post='11801348']

Now the bad:

[/quote]

Where does this "he isn't a golfer/he doesn't know anything about golf!" come from?
[/quote]

Quite simply, because he sounds like he knows absolutely nothing.

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1434913857' post='11801348'][quote name='mshills' timestamp='1434913468' post='11801318']

Now the bad:

[/quote]

Where does this "he isn't a golfer/he doesn't know anything about golf!" come from?[/quote]

If that's true it makes his job thus far that much more terrible. If he was just ignorant that episode get him a sort of pass. And I would blame it on the network for putting an ignorant guy there. Now that it's known he is in the know it puts all the blame on him.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Now the bad:

[/quote]

Great post and great observations on lack of following the ball. I was thinking about that on Thursday after I also noticed that. Do you think it is not just the camera folks but possibly has to do with the background (tan and 'shiny' grass) making it hard to pick up the ball as it ascends?

Joe Buck calling golf (or even talking about golf) is like Jim Gray talking about brain surgery.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

[quote name='mtsmith' timestamp='1434914286' post='11801398']
Great post and great observations on lack of following the ball. I was thinking about that on Thursday after I also noticed that. Do you think it is not just the camera folks but possibly has to do with the background (tan and 'shiny' grass) making it hard to pick up the ball as it ascends?
[/quote]

Thanks! On the camera work, that certainly sounds logical, but I'll be the first to admit -- I can't even take good pictures of golf clubs I have for sale, so I haven't got the first idea about what goes into operating a television camera.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='Potatohead' timestamp='1434868823' post='11798500']
[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1434854830' post='11797460']
I can't believe Juli Inkster and Corey Pavin are walking around. And Holly is only doing that scoreboard thing. She knows too much about pro golf to just be doing that
[/quote]

Right because Juli and Cory don't know golf
[/quote]

Sorry for being vague. I meant it's crazy to me to have US Open winners walking the course. I would think they should be in a booth somewhere.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

Corey Pavin sounds more like a Sunday School teacher than a golf analyst. Corey is a good guy but it sounds like he is talking to a group of children. He just repeats the obvious constantly.

Holly just needs to stand there and be the manikin she has become. Shhh. Just try to look pretty and get some more hairspray. She's like a dumber version of Gulbis. The worst interviewer in the history of television.

Norman and Faxon are good. Buck is a pro and needs to go back and listen to his work and realize he talks too much.

Overall the feel of the telecast is weird for a major, maybe it's the venue. At least there is lots of coverage to watch, which is nice. The visual effects are great love the tracer much better than the old follow the ball with the camera view.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='heffe78' timestamp='1434921394' post='11802062']Billy Ho gonna be digging into the $10M pile of FedEx earnings to lay some fines.
"These greens are terrible... I've list a little respect for the USGA this week"

Good on him for speaking up.
Fired a good round at -3 so it's not like he chopped it and is sour grapes. [/quote]

Probably so. But he should then come out and report what he was fined. By whom and reason he was given. So as to stop the extortionist practice that is fining someone who calmly speaks his opinion on the situation without expletive . No reason for billy or any other player to be fined. Usga should be outed. It's not as if he said anything that wasn't obvious to us all.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1434921697' post='11802100']
[quote name='heffe78' timestamp='1434921394' post='11802062']Billy Ho gonna be digging into the $10M pile of FedEx earnings to lay some fines.
"These greens are terrible... I've list a little respect for the USGA this week"

Good on him for speaking up.
Fired a good round at -3 so it's not like he chopped it and is sour grapes. [/quote]

Probably so. But he should then come out and report what he was fined. By whom and reason he was given. So as to stop the extortionist practice that is fining someone who calmly speaks his opinion on the situation without expletive . No reason for billy or any other player to be fined. Usga should be outed. It's not as if he said anything that wasn't obvious to us all.
[/quote]

USGA has the ability to fine PGA Tour pros?

That can't be right..

Or the pga or whome ever.

And poo on fox for now trying to vilify billy ho for his comments. Holly stupid self ask the question to bait him into it knowing full well he was angry and what he would say. Faux just lost the last of their credibility with me. To take up for the greens conditions after asking someone about how bad they are is just plain assholish. Yes that's a word. Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1434922332' post='11802212']
Or the pga or whome ever.

And poo on fox for now trying to vilify billy ho for his comments. Holly stupid self ask the question to bait him into it knowing full well he was angry and what he would say. Faux just lost the last of their credibility with me. To take up for the greens conditions after asking someone about how bad they are is just plain assholish. Yes that's a word. Lol.
[/quote]

He was not baited- give me a freaking break! He couldn't WAIT to unload. Does no one have a spine anymore to take responsibility for what comes out of their mouth?

It's a relevant topic. Thank God they had the stones to bring it up. I can only imagine how Dan Hicks would have tip toed around the issue that CLEARLY everyone is talking about...