2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Vintage Balls

I am new to this forum but have taken a liking in vintage clubs since i bought a cheap set on Ebay last summer. I love to play vintage clubs and see how well i can shoot with them compared to my gamer bag. But I have seen a lot of posts about different vintage clubs, and since I havent been around for long I dont know if this question has been previously been discussed, but do any of you guys play vintage balls or have a stash of vintage balls that you have? I know they would be pretty hard to get your hands on a lot of them, but i have had some vintage balls such as spalding or old Top Flite balls that go in and out of my bag. What a vintage ball in my mind consists of what you see in the movie the greatest game ever played.

Do any of you guys play some balls like this or have a stash at home?

What are some good balls that you would call the ProV1's of the past?

Feel free to post pictures, i would love to see whats out there!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum.

Goodwill is the best bet for vintage balls unless you want to do the eBay thing. A lot of times they don't clean the balls out of old golf bags, so you can find a decent haul in some of them.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1437420549' post='11986512']
Welcome to the forum.

Goodwill is the best bet for vintage balls unless you want to do the eBay thing. A lot of times they don't clean the balls out of old golf bags, so you can find a decent haul in some of them.
[/quote]

Figured Ebay would be the best bet, thank you!

Glad to see you made it over here!!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Anything balata. They don't last long and some people claim old balls are dead. Haven't noticed that myself.

Titleist Professionals and the Maxfli HT's are great modern balata type balls with some durability.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1437432756' post='11988032']
Anything balata. They don't last long and some people claim old balls are dead. Haven't noticed that myself.

Titleist Professionals and the Maxfli HT's are great modern balata type balls with some durability.
[/quote]

Yeah, i did some searching on ebay and around the forums for vintage golf balls and saw that balata was very common. I guess hitting vintage golf balls is not as common as i thought it would be but it makes sense because the durability of them are less than now days. But i appreciate your information!

[quote name='CBECH22' timestamp='1437434833' post='11988266']

[/quote]

Yeah, i did some searching on ebay and around the forums for vintage golf balls and saw that balata was very common. I guess hitting vintage golf balls is not as common as i thought it would be but it makes sense because the durability of them are less than now days. But i appreciate your information!
[/quote]

Some people like to play them because of their vintage characteristics. High spin, feel, etc. It's been said touring pro's could knock them out of round with high swing speeds. I know you can about peel the cover off with your fingernail if you get violent with 'em.

Others seem to think the older balls are easier on a persimmon wood. I guess all those rock hard Titleist DT-90s, Top Flites, and Pinnacle Golds weren't?

Found a Kro-Flite in the rough today. Doesn't look like it had been there long. Brought back some memories.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1437439351' post='11988822']
[quote name='CBECH22' timestamp='1437434833' post='11988266']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Some people like to play them because of their vintage characteristics. High spin, feel, etc. It's been said touring pro's could knock them out of round with high swing speeds. I know you can about peel the cover off with your fingernail if you get violent with 'em.

Others seem to think the older balls are easier on a persimmon wood. I guess all those rock hard Titleist DT-90s, Top Flites, and Pinnacle Golds weren't?

Found a Kro-Flite in the rough today. Doesn't look like it had been there long. Brought back some memories.
[/quote]

All that makes a lot of sense. Thats why i was thinking about vintage balls because when i take out my vintage clubs i want to get the full effect and see how well i can play compared to my gamer bag. Its more of a pride thing rather than a use a modern ball for better performance. But that makes sense that the older balls would be easier on wooden clubs and help out with keeping the clubs in good condition.

Hickory golfers have these:

https://www.mcintyregolf.com

Is anyone similarly making / marketing balata-era replicas? Seems like an untapped market if not.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Did someone mention vintage balls.....

This is most of my stash at the moment, some great Balata, some good wound surlyn and a few others that aren't so great...

[attachment=2871982:coll01.jpg]

Everyones favourites... Titleist Tour Balata & Japanese DDH HT's

[attachment=2871984:FAV.jpg]

And my personal fav the early NZ made DDH. ( these can really dance!)

[attachment=2871986:NZDDH.jpg]

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1437783016' post='12015270']
Hickory golfers have these:

[url="https://www.mcintyregolf.com"]https://www.mcintyregolf.com[/url]

Is anyone similarly making / marketing balata-era replicas? Seems like an untapped market if not.
[/quote]

That is a really unique site! This is exactly the type of balls I was thinking about when i posted this thread. I just love the history of these balls and how different the technology back in the day was compared to now. This was really cool to look at!

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1437799852' post='12016668']

This is most of my stash at the moment, some great Balata, some good wound surlyn and a few others that aren't so great...

J
[/quote]

Wow, thats a really cool collection! Where did you get most of those? and how often do you play vintage balls?

[quote name='CBECH22' timestamp='1437933270' post='12022516']
[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1437799852' post='12016668']

J
[/quote]

Wow, thats a really cool collection! Where did you get most of those? and how often do you play vintage balls?
[/quote]

A lot the balls have been in the bags of old clubs I've purchased, or when I've collected the clubs the owners has said something like "There's a bunch of old balls here too".
I normally play Bridgestone B330S, because I like how they behave around the greens and I don't get any surprises from them. I usually carry a couple of Balata DDH's in the bag too, just in case I need a mental "pick me up" during a bad round.

My supply of Balata balls is obviously limited so I only really play them occasionally. However I play wound Suryln cover balls more as I have more stock. I've been experimenting with the DT90's, I love them off tee and with irons, yet I'm not a big fan them around the greens.

A ball that is quickly becoming a favourite of mine is the Japanese Maxfli Super 432NC, this ball is every bit as good as the B330S around the green, yet has the softness and performance from the tee and off the irons that I'd expect from a good wound ball, and all with no detectable performance loss during the round. Without knowing any better I'm inclined to think that this is a wound ball with a Urethane cover.

Can anybody shed any light on this ball? Was there an American release?

[attachment=2876256:RED432.jpg]

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

Fluffy, that sounds very similar to the ball that was released here in the US as the M3 Red. It's one of the successors to the Revolution and A10, and a cousin to the Slazenger Players. There was also an M3 LT, aka M3 Black. The Red flew a little higher with a little less spin, the Black flew lower, allegedly with a little more spin (LT = low trajectory).

There were also some prototype variants of the M3 Red floating around, with slightly different dimple configurations.

The M3 balls were a large solid core with a thin layer of windings. The stupidity of the US marketplace dictated they disappear, because people couldn't use a ball that was remotely close to "wound." Idiots. (of course, people also think the Pro V1 is "the standard," can't expect them to have a clue)

I absolutely loved all those Maxfli balls, hunted them for years after they were discontinued. Amazing around the greens, great in the wind, they had it all.

edited to add: the Maxfli balls were all urethane covers

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Back in Ye Olde Dayes....

Occasional WRX poster MCoz used to provide ball reviews on the GEA forum. He had a group of good players who would test many balls over a decent length of time. A few years in a row, Maxfli balls were always on top in the test. This drove the Title-heads crazy, they couldn't believe anything would be better than their precious ProV1, so it must be a biased test, he must own Maxfli stock, blah blah blah.

Still makes me laugh. :)

It was even funnier when the reformulated Strata Tour Pro was the top ball. They still whined about Maxfli bias. LOL

Amusingly, a friend of mine was a Pro V1 user. For his bday one year, I got him a dozen Srixon ZStars, something to try that was different. He noticed an immediate improvement in performance, and his scores actually dropped while he was using them. He saw the same thing with the TaylorMade Penta TP3.

Another bit of amusement for me. :)

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The very best of those old wound balata balls were terrible balls by modern standards. They came out of the sleeve out of round (good players used to carry a tool to determine which were round), went out of round during play, could be ruined by a slight mishit, or even a carelessly struck cartpath. The only good thing about them was that they could perform magic around the green. They were, however, expensive, and good for maybe one round. Pros routinely changed balls every three holes or so, even lacking obvious damage.

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1438103896' post='12035472']
The very best of those old wound balata balls were terrible balls by modern standards. They came out of the sleeve out of round (good players used to carry a tool to determine which were round), went out of round during play, could be ruined by a slight mishit, or even a carelessly struck cartpath. The only good thing about them was that they could perform magic around the green. They were, however, expensive, and good for maybe one round. Pros routinely changed balls every three holes or so, even lacking obvious damage.
[/quote]

In my HT 100 hunting of several years ago, I managed to score a couple dozen HT 100s that were apparently from the Asian market, and were "genuine balata," in contrast to the HT100s I'd found on ebay earlier, which were urethane.

I found the HT100 balatas could indeed go out of round. I didn't have that trouble with the urethane models I'd acquired previously; managed to play the better part of two rounds with one, it showed little or no damage.

I guess not all wound balls are created equal. <shrug>

So, when I posted this I knew nothing about vintage balls and how they performed or held up during a round ad you guys have vastly increased my knowledge. What happened at the right time was I found a huge bag of balls in a shed that is on my property. I have no idea how or whos they are but i started looking through them and they consist of a lot of old junk. And i havent been able to look through all of them but i found some pretty old looking ones. Heres some pictures of the cool looking ones i found. The reason i picked these is because some have the symmetrical dimples in perfect order, the labels on the golf balls (pga, Star-Flite, Lee Trevino, and Skyline GC), and then i found one balata ball that is a Ram Tour. I am assuming these are all cheap balls because all of the ones i recognized were cheap top-flites, but just thought i would share!

[attachment=2878336:20150728_133020.jpg]
[attachment=2878338:20150728_133214.jpg]
[attachment=2878340:20150728_133227.jpg]

Those range from the 60's - 90's.

Cool finds. People will buy them on eBay, but if you're into golf collectibles they are neat to display on a shelf.

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1438114418' post='12036626']
Those range from the 60's - 90's.

Cool finds. People will buy them on eBay, but if you're into golf collectibles they are neat to display on a shelf.
[/quote]

Thank you. I will keep looking and see if I can find anything else that happens to catch my eye. There are hundreds of balls in there so there is hopefully something else!

[/quote]I still have my aluminum machined roundness gauge from the 70s

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1438107285' post='12035866']
[/quote]I never saw a Urethene HT-100 all I ever saw and have now are balata

In my HT 100 hunting of several years ago, I managed to score a couple dozen HT 100s that were apparently from the Asian market, and were "genuine balata," in contrast to the HT100s I'd found on ebay earlier, which were urethane.

I found the HT100 balatas could indeed go out of round. I didn't have that trouble with the urethane models I'd acquired previously; managed to play the better part of two rounds with one, it showed little or no damage.

I guess not all wound balls are created equal. <shrug>
[/quote]All the HT-100s I ever saw were balata in fact the 10 or so I have now are all balata