JDay putter coming to retail

PeterSanto29

Wow looking on eBay some of the prices for the itsy bitsy' are crazy! I've got a plumbers neck with a black shaft just sitting in my closet, might be time to let it go!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='esqrvtx' timestamp='1441414276' post='12265548']
Don't get it. Not worth $750 imo. If you a $2 short game; this putter will not do you any good.
[/quote]

Everyone assigns value differently. For me, a Ghost Spider S slant user, this is very nearly my dream putter because of all the hand touches added.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Had one of the first five, was really nice, black shaft looked clean, otherwise looked like a retail mallet, I thought it would at least have a headcover saying 1 of 5...nothing...sold to a member through bay....I guess I got beat on that, someone sold one on bay for $2200?!? I sold mine for $850 and thought I was ripping someone off....well good for buyer, glad he got a good deal

I don't understand paying a price that high, not numbered, no coa (or something deeming it limited) and to me, just like majority tmag putters the look has an expiration date, 009 will look good 10, 20 years down the road.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

[quote name='KCCO' timestamp='1441421063' post='12266060']
Had one of the first five, was really nice, black shaft looked clean, otherwise looked like a retail mallet, I thought it would at least have a headcover saying 1 of 5...nothing...sold to a member through bay....I guess I got beat on that, someone sold one on bay for $2200?!? I sold mine for $850 and thought I was ripping someone off....well good for buyer, glad he got a good deal

I don't understand paying a price that high, not numbered, no coa (or something deeming it limited) and to me, just like majority tmag putters the look has an expiration date, 009 will look good 10, 20 years down the road.
[/quote]

Are you serious? There wasn't even a COA? But your right there is an expiration date on these plus when the retail version is released with the plus insert it will IMO be better then what day plays for the consumer.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[/quote]

Is it worth the price that the one sold for on eBay? Clearly it was worth that to someone. That's all that matters. Will the market for these stay that high going forward? I doubt it, but it's been interesting to watch.

Part of the appeal of this putter for me is the fact there is nothing on the putter indicating it's limited. That would ruin it. The whole point is that it's a carbon copy of Day's actual gamer (aside from two small differences). It's a putter that's meant to be played, not hung on a wall. I'm glad that TaylorMade saw it this way instead of going the Scotty route of making it a collector's piece by putting crap all over it.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

[quote name='KCCO' timestamp='1441495849' post='12269406']
[quote name='jll62' timestamp='1441494009' post='12269306']

[/quote]

Is it worth the price that the one sold for on eBay? Clearly it was worth that to someone. That's all that matters. Will the market for these stay that high going forward? I doubt it, but it's been interesting to watch.

Part of the appeal of this putter for me is the fact there is nothing on the putter indicating it's limited. That would ruin it. The whole point is that it's a carbon copy of Day's actual gamer (aside from two small differences). It's a putter that's meant to be played, not hung on a wall. I'm glad that TaylorMade saw it this way instead of going the Scotty route of making it a collector's piece by putting crap all over it.
[/quote]

If that's the case, why did they do another run of a different putter? How many different putters did he have/play? im being serious, I don't follow tmag mallets. If there is a new one different from the one I had released after (the 1 of 20) that you would "game", why does that make the 1 of 5 I had anything special?I didn't say anything about stamping head, but some kind of validation would be nice. I didn't care for it, that's why I sold it. And actually sold it to someone who wanted to game it. (Also, what is a carbon copy with 2 small differences?)

And your saying you would rather pay what that other person paid for a putter that's not fitted to you over a 009 the way you want it? My 2k would go to another Scotty, rather then a "carbon copy" of someone else's specs, I'll take a one off in my length, lie not Jason day's if we are talking about gamers as you said the appeal would be playing it, not collecting purposes. I couldn't see me getting a replica putter as my gamer. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Sorry, I only just now realized you were talking about the 5 piece run of the Ghost Spider S slant. Day never used that putter. Selling five putters at $500 certainly wasn't worth a lot of money, so I don't think that release was a cash grab by TM. I have no inside information, but I have a hunch they received some inquiries from guys on Tour about Day's putter, so they took a few Ghost Spider S heads and painted them black to put on the truck (and perhaps it's a test run for re-release in a new color?). Then after he won the Canadian Open, maybe they decided to throw some of us fans a bone and release a handful, since we had been asking for a Day replica for months. However, after the major win, they decided to make and release the real deal. Had they known Day was going to win the PGA, they probably wouldn't have released the Spider.

The 1-of-5 Spider remains a cool putter that was hand built in the tour department and it's extremely rare. That's it's value. The market for tour issue and limited TM putters is nowhere near the size of the market for similar Camerons. It's similar to the state of affairs with the early days of the Cameron market before they added the COA process. Those who are interested in these putters know a lot about them, similar to the way you had Scotty experts in the early days. What remains to be seen is whether or not a bunch of fakes will be made that ruin the fun for all of us. With the JDay Itsy Bitsy selling for $4550 on eBay, I fear that it will.

Now, back to the 1-of-20 replica of Day's Itsy Bitsy. The two minor differences that I mentioned are cosmetic. Day's gamer has white paint fill around the sole badge on the bottom, whereas the replicas are black. Also, the 80/20 insert on Day's gamer appears to have been made specifically for his putter (you can tell by the groove pattern and the "Pure Roll" word mark). On the replicas, they took an 80/20 insert from the Ghost Tour line and hand shaped it to fit in the Itsy Bitsy. So, same insert material and same performance, just slightly different cosmetics. Perhaps carbon copy is the wrong phrase, but it's really damn close.

As to why I want to game this rather than spend 3K for a spec'd out 009? First and foremost, I currently game a 34" tour issue Ghost Spider S slant with the same black shaft and same red/black ghost spider grip. I have always liked the smaller size of the Itsy Bitsy and, specifically, I like the shape of the Japan version with the rounded top. I'm also a huge fan of the 80/20 insert feel and wish I had it in my current putter. So, you might imagine that when I saw his gamer for the first time, it was very nearly my dream putter. When it arrives, all I need to do is bend it a degree flat and add 0.5 degree of loft and I'm at my exact specs. Clearly my results are not typical, but for me, this is a perfect fit.

I used to be in the Scotty game, but had to get out because I couldn't deal with the crap (in my opinion) that he started pumping out. This coincided with my switch away from Newport shaped heads and more towards mallets. What I find funny is that if the 20 piece Day replica were a Scotty, it would have cost close to $10K and then been available only through the "channels." TaylorMade charged $750 and put it on their website. I find that refreshing.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

• 1 month later...

Wow. The prices are crazy. I remembered this old post I made on another site 6 years ago! I still have this putter (which is similar from TM Japan) and bet I could get 5 times what it is worth if I sold it...but I'm not.
See Post #49
[url="http://bombsquadgolf.com/Invision/index.php?/topic/262-lets-see-your-current-putter/page-2"]http://bombsquadgolf...t-putter/page-2[/url]

Callaway XR Pro 9* Kuro Kage HBP 50X
Callaway 816 14* D+ 70
Callaway 816 18* D+ 70
Callaway XR 22* D+ 90
Callaway Legacy Black 5-PW
Callaway MD2 50/54T*
Callaway PM 58*
Cameron X5

[quote name='OkieM3' timestamp='1445381938' post='12484378']
Wow. The prices are crazy. I remembered this old post I made on another site 6 years ago! I still have this putter (which is similar from TM Japan) and bet I could get 5 times what it is worth if I sold it...but I'm not.
See Post #49
[url="http://bombsquadgolf.com/Invision/index.php?/topic/262-lets-see-your-current-putter/page-2"]http://bombsquadgolf...t-putter/page-2[/url]
[/quote]Sweet putter, but the craze is for the slant neck version at the moment.

• 9 months later...

If that's the case, why did they do another run of a different putter? How many different putters did he have/play? im being serious, I don't follow tmag mallets. If there is a new one different from the one I had released after (the 1 of 20) that you would "game", why does that make the 1 of 5 I had anything special?I didn't say anything about stamping head, but some kind of validation would be nice. I didn't care for it, that's why I sold it. And actually sold it to someone who wanted to game it. (Also, what is a carbon copy with 2 small differences?)

And your saying you would rather pay what that other person paid for a putter that's not fitted to you over a 009 the way you want it? My 2k would go to another Scotty, rather then a "carbon copy" of someone else's specs, I'll take a one off in my length, lie not Jason day's if we are talking about gamers as you said the appeal would be playing it, not collecting purposes. I couldn't see me getting a replica putter as my gamer. Just my opinion.

Sorry, I only just now realized you were talking about the 5 piece run of the Ghost Spider S slant. Day never used that putter. Selling five putters at $500 certainly wasn't worth a lot of money, so I don't think that release was a cash grab by TM. I have no inside information, but I have a hunch they received some inquiries from guys on Tour about Day's putter, so they took a few Ghost Spider S heads and painted them black to put on the truck (and perhaps it's a test run for re-release in a new color?). Then after he won the Canadian Open, maybe they decided to throw some of us fans a bone and release a handful, since we had been asking for a Day replica for months. However, after the major win, they decided to make and release the real deal. Had they known Day was going to win the PGA, they probably wouldn't have released the Spider.

The 1-of-5 Spider remains a cool putter that was hand built in the tour department and it's extremely rare. That's it's value. The market for tour issue and limited TM putters is nowhere near the size of the market for similar Camerons. It's similar to the state of affairs with the early days of the Cameron market before they added the COA process. Those who are interested in these putters know a lot about them, similar to the way you had Scotty experts in the early days. What remains to be seen is whether or not a bunch of fakes will be made that ruin the fun for all of us. With the JDay Itsy Bitsy selling for $4550 on eBay, I fear that it will.

Now, back to the 1-of-20 replica of Day's Itsy Bitsy. The two minor differences that I mentioned are cosmetic. Day's gamer has white paint fill around the sole badge on the bottom, whereas the replicas are black. Also, the 80/20 insert on Day's gamer appears to have been made specifically for his putter (you can tell by the groove pattern and the "Pure Roll" word mark). On the replicas, they took an 80/20 insert from the Ghost Tour line and hand shaped it to fit in the Itsy Bitsy. So, same insert material and same performance, just slightly different cosmetics. Perhaps carbon copy is the wrong phrase, but it's really damn close.

As to why I want to game this rather than spend 3K for a spec'd out 009? First and foremost, I currently game a 34" tour issue Ghost Spider S slant with the same black shaft and same red/black ghost spider grip. I have always liked the smaller size of the Itsy Bitsy and, specifically, I like the shape of the Japan version with the rounded top. I'm also a huge fan of the 80/20 insert feel and wish I had it in my current putter. So, you might imagine that when I saw his gamer for the first time, it was very nearly my dream putter. When it arrives, all I need to do is bend it a degree flat and add 0.5 degree of loft and I'm at my exact specs. Clearly my results are not typical, but for me, this is a perfect fit.

I used to be in the Scotty game, but had to get out because I couldn't deal with the crap (in my opinion) that he started pumping out. This coincided with my switch away from Newport shaped heads and more towards mallets. What I find funny is that if the 20 piece Day replica were a Scotty, it would have cost close to $10K and then been available only through the "channels." TaylorMade charged $750 and put it on their website. I find that refreshing.

wait so you have one of the 20 and are going to be playing it and keeping it??

i only ask cuz i've been keeping track and i have accounted for 11/15 putters either sold or in the process of selling.....i just want MINE to be the last brand new one sold! scarcity and demand drive the market! $$$$$

Taylormade M2 9.5* - KuroKage Silver Tini 70X
Taylormade M1 15* - Diamana Kai'li 80X
Taylormade TP UDI 18* - Project X HC1 95 6.5
Taylormade 2011 TP MB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Taylormade TP 52, 56, 60 - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Ghost Spider S Slant Neck 35"
Taylormade Tour Preferred X

wait so you have one of the 20 and are going to be playing it and keeping it??

i only ask cuz i've been keeping track and i have accounted for 11/15 putters either sold or in the process of selling.....i just want MINE to be the last brand new one sold! scarcity and demand drive the market! $$$$$

Yep! It's been in the bag since the day I got it and I love it. Selling it was never an option for me. (I'll keep the red one minty fresh for possible sale later)

Oh...and slightly on topic to my original post. Marcus Fraser was putting with a black Spider S slant at the Olympics. The same 1 of 5 putter that TaylorMade released ahead of the Itsy Bitsy release last year. I found that really interesting!

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post