2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Kapalua Bay Course vs recently Punched Plantation Course

pappaf2

Going to Maui in a couple weeks and was going to try and squeeze in a round. I'll be staying in Kapalua. From everything I've read the Plantation course is the better of these two courses by far being it is such a unique piece of property. Problem is, the course is being aerated about 10 days before I would be planning on playing. Rates are "discounted" to $205 for this time period.

My question, is it still worth it to spend $205 on the plantation course recently aerated or would I be better off spending roughly the same amount to play the Bay Course which will not be aerated until sometime in October?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went there last year around this time as well after they punched the course, and played the bay course instead. It was nice, but a step down from the plantation course. I drove up to the plantation course just to look around to see how bad things where, and it wasn't too bad at all, and kind of regret not going there instead. The fairways and greens were just aerated, but not sand filled which they do here. I could have lived with the aerated fairways but the aerated greens could be a little bit annoying for that $$. Maybe for the price discount just go and try to get the first twilight time, and show up a little bit early and just enjoy the views and have a good time.

If you are just going for one great round in Maui though, maybe look at Wailea Emerald/Gold instead? If you also want to do a cheaper/warm up round in Maui, I would recommend Kahili as its dirt cheap on Golfnow Monday-Friday with great early morning times.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have an update? im arriving on wed sept 16th, and thinking the exact same thing...play or not to play. leaning towards play though. Plantation is doing some additional 'quad tine' punching 15-17th...and i talked to the guy in the shop. he wouldnt give me an answer on how playable it will be as he basically suggested there are too many a-holes that complain about anything...so they can give an opinion.

hopefully someone plays it soon and can give some proper feedback/photos?

I booked a round at the plantation for Monday the 14th. I can let you know how it is after I play if you want. Discounted rate for a morning time kapalua resort area guest is $195. I figure I'll never get another chance to play it this "inexpensively" so I'm going for it.

Thanks to those who provided input

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1442091167' post='12304878']
I booked a round at the plantation for Monday the 14th. I can let you know how it is after I play if you want. Discounted rate for a morning time kapalua resort area guest is $195. I figure I'll never get another chance to play it this "inexpensively" so I'm going for it.

Thanks to those who provided input
[/quote]

ill be curious. i went ahead and booked plantation for monday the 21st...so looking forward to your feedback...although they do more punching when they close on the 15-17th i think.

The Plantation course for sure, i lived in Hawaii for the past 6 years (military), and let me tell you, if you have the opportunity to play where the pros play "do it", there is no feeling like it, i was blessed to be stationed in Oahu and played every course on the island (tournament courses were Waialae for the Sony Open, Ko'Olina for the Lotte Championship and Kapolei for the Champions Tour) and the main courses on the outer Islands (Plantation once a year), yes it is a bit expensive, but the experience is unmatched/incredible...by the way bring your camera "trust me", it will be breathtaking...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Ok played the plantation course this morning. Thanks to all for the suggestion that it is "the" course to play. It was an awesome experience, best course I have played. Almost every hole has an incredible ocean view. I went off at 6:50 and the only group in front of us let us play through. I admittedly didn't have my best stuff using rental clubs and generally not playing great. Course was a lot of fun thought.

Conditions wise; you could tell the fairways and greens had been punched. Didn't really seem to make a huge difference to how it played though. Greens were a bit shaggy even playing early as I did. There was a couple holes where the fairways were a little spotty but not too bad. There was one green that looked not very good (I'll attach a picture). Overall if you haven't played it is say it's worth it, especially for the discounted rate. If you have played it before you might be put off that it isn't in top condition.

I enjoyed it a lot though, more so after the sting of the bad shots wears off. (Mai Tai's help with that)[attachment=2954574:image.jpg]

Sorry upside down and sideways pics[attachment=2954586:image.jpg]

• 3 weeks later...

I played right after this as well. Greens were not really even puttable, but the scenery was so awesome I didn't really care. I am not used to playing in that kind of wind, but it made it so much fun.

I normally drive the ball a solid 270 average, but there was one 280yard par 4 into the wind where I smashed a ball down the pipe and it only went 200. The 17th with the wind and down the hill I hit my drive 360.

I hit a cut on one hole that the wind took to the next fairway and by the time the ball hit the ground it was going backwards.

Sounds annoying but it was super fun. Such a beautiful place you feel like you are golfing at Jurassic park.

I'd also strangely suggest playing the tournament tees. I generally always play blue tees, but for this cpurse don't sweat score and just play tournament tees to get a sense of what the pros deal with.