2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Moving to Utah!

MichiganSRT8

Hey guys! So as my fiancee received a job in Salt Lake I have been toying with the idea of heading out there after finishing up school. Well I finish up my Econ degree here at University of Michigan in December and I will be moving out there, first big move out of state so I am pretty excited. Especially since how active Utah seems to be, and I have lost about 50 pounds this year and continuing. Anyways I have been excited looking at courses out that way and just wanted to get a list from guys on here of courses I HAVE to play, looking for anything from $130+ rounds to weekday normal courses, just specify for me when you speak about each course, also don't mind driving few hours for a solid course. We will be living in North Salt Lake for reference as of now but may change when I get out there and looking at other housing options. Also any guys into cars please comment on that as well because that is my other obsession and coming from the Motorcity I am a bit worried about quelling that fix for some cool an fast cars. Also if anyone works for a course to that way and would need teaching assistant I also am able to assist in that manner, not sure how job search will go out that way so a job in the meantime would be great. For reference I have played since I was 10 (25 now), played high school golf (state runner ups), and played college golf at Hope College a DIII school here in Michigan before transferring to U of M, and gave lessons throughout this as well and after. Thanks ahead of time guys, pretty excited to head out that way and hopefully meet some more fellow WolfWRXr's!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm relatively new to SLC myself (<1 year), but I think you'll find golf fairly cheap here. I just like a course to be in decent condition, not overly picky about the design and I have yet to play anything that I wouldn't consider going back. I've really only played one course to the north and that was Valley View. Talons Cove is a favorite, but it's about an hour from SLC.

As far as cars go, I see the SRT reference. I was out one day and noticed a number of challengers, chargers, and 300's cruising together, but really nothing since then. I had a new Mustang until recently which I traded, but be prepared for the elevation to take it out if you're NA, forced induction is the ticket here.

If you're moving in December, I would take up sking/snow boarding if you don't already do it. Last winter was very mild so I was able to play more golf than I thought I would, but I wouldn't take it as the norm.

Im sorry you will be moving here. Been here six years and I can't stand utah! So many people act entitled to everything. Keeping up with the jones', terrible driving, rude etc have been my impression. Other than that golf is usually 44 bucks for 18 to ride at most public courses and there is plenty of golf in the area. Get used to smoggy winters and welcome!

I think that you will find whatever you are looking for. Expect to hate it, you will. It's just like anywhere else some people are great, some, not so much. I grew up in Utah, the southern part of the state and spent a few years in Michigan for school, the Detroit metro area. I loved the people in Michigan, I love the people in Utah. I loved the golf in Michigan, I love the golf in Utah. The winters in Northern Utah can be pretty bad, there is a temperature inversion that keeps the smog in the valley and makes for some pretty poor air quality, but you know all about crappy winters. Arriving in December, there will be no courses open in the No. SLC area, however, take a rode trip to St. George or Mesquite for the weekend and you'll get in some golf. Valley View is probably the best municipal course in the state and it is close to you. When summer comes you have plenty of option all over and all sorts of terrain. Check out the State park courses in Heber, they are great. Learn to ski and or snow board, unless you already know how. The hills are going to be a little bit bigger that the ones in Michigan. If you don't mind driving you can play great courses all through the state. Try Palisaides state park in the center of the state, and take a weekend trip to Moab and Monticello one fall week end. The Hideout golf course in Monticello is one of the best in the state, a true hidden gem. PM me this winter and we can meet in Saint, George for a round.

[quote name='gonewild' timestamp='1442011702' post='12301560'] I'm relatively new to SLC myself (<1 year), but I think you'll find golf fairly cheap here. I just like a course to be in decent condition, not overly picky about the design and I have yet to play anything that I wouldn't consider going back. I've really only played one course to the north and that was Valley View. Talons Cove is a favorite, but it's about an hour from SLC. As far as cars go, I see the SRT reference. I was out one day and noticed a number of challengers, chargers, and 300's cruising together, but really nothing since then. I had a new Mustang until recently which I traded, but be prepared for the elevation to take it out if you're NA, forced induction is the ticket here. If you're moving in December, I would take up sking/snow boarding if you don't already do it. Last winter was very mild so I was able to play more golf than I thought I would, but I wouldn't take it as the norm. [/quote]

Thanks man! good to hear there are quite a few that you would head back to , i saw a few driving around, one by the airport and one up in north salt lake where I will be staying when I move there at first. Need to be able to get my golf fix in, and this relieves me a bit haha. Yeah as for cars I am really dreading bringing her up so high as I am still NA, gunna lose so much power its going to a bit disappointing at first. But after a bit the jeep will most likely be sent away for a snail to be put on it so I can negate the altitude, but a bit down the line. Snowboarding is something I am really looking forward to as I have snowboarded since I was like 10 here in Michigan but we have nothing that can compare to Utah mountains so a black diamond here is probably a blue square in utah, if that, so it may be a bit challenging at first. I also need to pick up a new board when I move out, get a bit more serious cause we are also thinking of moving towards Park City after her lease runs up in north salt lake, and when we went walking around down there I felt like I was in winter sports heaven.

[quote name='czastrow' timestamp='1442013742' post='12301684'] Im sorry you will be moving here. Been here six years and I can't stand utah! So many people act entitled to everything. Keeping up with the jones', terrible driving, rude etc have been my impression. Other than that golf is usually 44 bucks for 18 to ride at most public courses and there is plenty of golf in the area. Get used to smoggy winters and welcome! [/quote]

Haha sorry to hear man, sounds like its a good time for you to get outta there! Unfortunately the entitlement seems to be a rampant thing across the United States and I feel its going to get worse and worse with this latest generation and the "everyone a victim" mentality so sad to say though you are gunna find it everywhere else if you did move as its just as rampant here. Luckily after my time at Ferrari I have gotten readily used to the occasional stuck up and entitled people so I will have the apprehend in that case, although I did already notice the terrible driving, almost got hit several times even in my 4 day visit I made last week. $44 isn't bad at all, thats right around what I am paying now, maybe even a bit lower lately its been closer to $60 up here with the changed in Michigan golf.

[quote name='Par Fore' timestamp='1442019020' post='12301974'] I think that you will find whatever you are looking for. Expect to hate it, you will. It's just like anywhere else some people are great, some, not so much. I grew up in Utah, the southern part of the state and spent a few years in Michigan for school, the Detroit metro area. I loved the people in Michigan, I love the people in Utah. I loved the golf in Michigan, I love the golf in Utah. The winters in Northern Utah can be pretty bad, there is a temperature inversion that keeps the smog in the valley and makes for some pretty poor air quality, but you know all about crappy winters. Arriving in December, there will be no courses open in the No. SLC area, however, take a rode trip to St. George or Mesquite for the weekend and you'll get in some golf. Valley View is probably the best municipal course in the state and it is close to you. When summer comes you have plenty of option all over and all sorts of terrain. Check out the State park courses in Heber, they are great. Learn to ski and or snow board, unless you already know how. The hills are going to be a little bit bigger that the ones in Michigan. If you don't mind driving you can play great courses all through the state. Try Palisaides state park in the center of the state, and take a weekend trip to Moab and Monticello one fall week end. The Hideout golf course in Monticello is one of the best in the state, a true hidden gem. PM me this winter and we can meet in Saint, George for a round. [/quote]

What you said is exactly what I expected, I like both and I expect to find things I hate about Utah as there are things I hate about Michigan. Really is what you make it to be and having lived Michigan my whole life I am ready for a bit of a change up and just a change of scenery. And lately I have been more active again, was close to 300 in February and am close to 230 now so I think the more active lifestyle will fit what I am getting back into again after not playing hockey for a while now. As for the courses, St george and mesquite are on the way to Vegas correct? I remember reading something about that area. I wrote down all the courses you mentioned on my word document I have with courses to check out haha, thanks for all the recommendations I can't wait to try more courses, since I was in Michigan all my life I have literally played almost every course in the SE Michigan area, and by all I mean probably missed only a handful out of the hundreds haha. I feel I will be in the Moab area a lot because my other goal is to buy a wrangler and ready that for offroad run, and obviously that is the mecca for that kind of fun. I will most definitely shoot you a PM when I get there in the winter, I would love a playing partner to not have to play alone and can pick your brain on more stuff. Thanks again!

I grew up in northern Utah and love going back to visit. Some great courses along the Wasatch and also in Southern Utah. The temperature inversion in the winter can be a pain, but head up skiing to get above it.

Affordable, active, potential for year round golf, some of the best skiing in the world ... what's not to like?

drn92

Golf is fairly affordable here in Utah. I'm in Utah County so my go to course is Hobble Creek east of Springville. Mountain Dell between SLC and Park City is a good choice. I have not played much in the SL valley and what courses I have are limited to just single rounds. Valley View as mentioned, Logan River in Logan, Wasatch Mountain in Midway. Coming in December, if the winter is mild, like has been that last several years, Wingpointe at the airport will be open. If there is no snow or frost on the ground, many of the valley courses will be open.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

• 4 months later...

Hey guys! Just wanted to update this as I have been able to finally start to get settled. Got here about a week and half and starting to get a better lay of the area, like anything little hard at first but its getting better. Cant wait to see the courses as the snow lifts in a few months but for now this snow is pretty damn great, staying in North Salt Lake for now but most likely moving down to the sugar house area when our lease is over up here in April. Would love to get out and play a rounds with a few members here from the area once everything lifts if anyone is down for that. Im a car guy, mid 20's, into cars and golf and hockey, know that sounds like a dating site thing but a little background is always nice to know haha.

Also if anyone knows their company is hiring I would appreciate any recommendations in my name or pointing me in the right direction, graduated U of M with an Economics degree and just completed a 7 month internship with SAAB Parts NA in Michigan, anything from econ research, marketing, sales, consulting, some finance, technology sales (into computers but no official schooling, but fast learner, I see you Oracle people out there haha). Anything business oriented will be good, as I owned my own high end detailing company (Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche/Rolls etc) in Michigan through school that allowed me to graduate with no student loans. Love to learn and happy to work hard to earn my way

Hope everyone is surviving the inversion, will say it did catch me by surprise getting here haha. Being up here by the stinky (refineries?) doesn't help much at all either, new cabin filter for the vehicle is definitely needed. Hope everyone is well!

I'm in St George and we played today - some of the knuckleheads were in short sleeves. It's not a bad drive and hotels are cheap. Send a PM if you want to play some golf while SLC is snowed in. :)

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Yeah, the inversion kills my sinuses and throat this time of year. Once spring hits, its less noticeable and the golf will be good! Good luck finding work, there are a lot of options from what I hear but can be pretty competitive.

Jesus man I'm the same way right now, was thinking I was getting sick and was in an interview and talked about how my through hurt and had bit of sinus headache, then he said thats super common during the inversion, and that it wasn't even that bad right now. When I visited in the spring I didn't have this problem, been taking too many walks with the dog I guess, gunna need to cut back on working out outside too. You have any recommendations for dealing with the inversion? I think I'm getting a humidifier and filters for the apartment, new cabin filters for the cars, open to anything cause feeling like this is already getting old. Was thinking about taking a trip out of town for a few days one weekend to just get out of it anyways.

I'm in St George and we played today - some of the knuckleheads were in short sleeves. It's not a bad drive and hotels are cheap. Send a PM if you want to play some golf while SLC is snowed in. :)

With how this inversion is hitting me I might be taking you up on that, once I have a job settled and all that for sure. What is it down there right now? like mid 50's or something? sounds a lot better than the valley right now haha.

Yeah, the inversion kills my sinuses and throat this time of year. Once spring hits, its less noticeable and the golf will be good! Good luck finding work, there are a lot of options from what I hear but can be pretty competitive.

Jesus man I'm the same way right now, was thinking I was getting sick and was in an interview and talked about how my through hurt and had bit of sinus headache, then he said thats super common during the inversion, and that it wasn't even that bad right now. When I visited in the spring I didn't have this problem, been taking too many walks with the dog I guess, gunna need to cut back on working out outside too. You have any recommendations for dealing with the inversion? I think I'm getting a humidifier and filters for the apartment, new cabin filters for the cars, open to anything cause feeling like this is already getting old. Was thinking about taking a trip out of town for a few days one weekend to just get out of it anyways.

My only outdoor activities in the valley during the winter is duck hunting. The inversion hasn't been as bad this year, some years it is like china and you can't see down the street. I have an Alen air purifier for the house that I run during the winter. If you use eucalyptus essential oil in a humidifier it really helps with the sore throat, at least for me anyway. Other than that, keep the recirc on in your car, or head up to park city for a day or two if you want a short get away...fresh mountain air is really nice. Anyway, welcome and maybe see you out this season.

• 4 weeks later...

Be sure to check out South Mountain and Thanksgiving Pointe. Thanksgiving is ridiculous from the tips but if it's in good condition it's a great test. I'm pretty sure when Johnny Miller designed it he was hoping it would someday host a US Open. South Mountain is sneaky hard, too. It's basically right on the bench near Draper with great views and really tough holes. Definitely make the trip to the Provo area and hit Hobble Creek. That course in the fall is unreal. Soldier Hollow (gold) and Wasatch State Park (Mountain) offer some amazing tracks about 30-45 minutes from SLC.

Being 3.5 hours from St George is pretty sweet too. There's great tracks down there. I'd start with Sand Hollow and play all 27. I'm 7 hours from St George and I make it down every winter to break up the brutal winters (east Idaho).

Welcome to the Mountain West area!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Know its a bit weird to ask when I see its snowing outside right now haha, but looking for places to open up soon right? I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice range in the surrounding area with few things:

1) Grass hitting range

2) Short game/putting green

3) Long range, 300+ yards

4) Quality range balls (not like proV's, just no range rash balls)

5) Green/Objects to hit to

Would love to find a nice place to knock the rust off, got a golf trip a month from now in Hilton Head my friends from college and would love to pocked some cash on the trip ;)

Have been told a lot of courses open around april 1st, so if there are any good ranges (even if not regular sod) would love to hear those too, know literally nothing in the area.

I just noticed my post in this thread about playing on Jan 16. That was my last round as I broke my arm the next day. Still have 6+ more weeks until I can play again. All that cold(ish) golf I played waiting for the nice weather and I'm sitting home while my buddies are playing when it got up to near 80 last week.

The courses are looking good down here. This is the best time of year for playing here IMO.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I just noticed my post in this thread about playing on Jan 16. That was my last round as I broke my arm the next day. Still have 6+ more weeks until I can play again. All that cold(ish) golf I played waiting for the nice weather and I'm sitting home while my buddies are playing when it got up to near 80 last week.

The courses are looking good down here. This is the best time of year for playing here IMO.

Dang man, sorry to hear. heal up and get back out there on the course. I figured a few people might be heading out, drove by the few around my place and didn't see anyone out so I wasnt sure.

yeah I have been out hitting balls the last few weeks and courses around me seem to be open.

Are you up by SLCs or st george? noticed that 3 and half hours makes a pretty big difference in temperature haha. After the cold day today the temperatures seem to be 50 or above, and as a Michigander that is shorts weather for me haha, we played golf at a buddy dads course when there was snow on the ground the day before christmas a few years ago haha.

I'm just south of salt lake, 7200 south by gardner village

Awesome, not far from my office, starting wednesday over in Cottonwood Heights. What places would you recommend around the south area? Would love to hear the places you like as well (cheap options/expensive options/good practice area) and other ones that would be good as sure I will be taking clients out golfing here in the summer and need to find some good options.

old mill is a decent course. Thanksgiving point is pretty long. I played the back tees once and shot 78 which was one of my better accomplishments. Really fun course though. There are a few others down that way but I know river oaks is open, murray parkway is open, probably riverbend and most everywhere else. River oaks is close to me so I tend to go there unless a few buddies want to go somewhere else. Lots of options. I'd assume most everyone is still hitting off of mats, could be wrong though as I haven't been out much yet.

old mill is a decent course. Thanksgiving point is pretty long. I played the back tees once and shot 78 which was one of my better accomplishments. Really fun course though. There are a few others down that way but I know river oaks is open, murray parkway is open, probably riverbend and most everywhere else. River oaks is close to me so I tend to go there unless a few buddies want to go somewhere else. Lots of options. I'd assume most everyone is still hitting off of mats, could be wrong though as I haven't been out much yet.

78 from the tips at Thanksgiving Pointe means you were golfing your ball. That's pretty legit.