2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Titleist 716 Iron Photos and Comparisons: AP1, AP2, T-MB, CB, MB

zakkozuchowski

[quote name='woods991' timestamp='1449330915' post='12683946'][quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1449171244' post='12676552']
[quote name='Aren' timestamp='1449166912' post='12676250'][quote name='jrk' timestamp='1448987567' post='12667188']Has anyone tried a set of these TMB's coming from forged mb's or cb's and not liked them? If so...reasons?[/quote]
I did order the T-MB 4 iron, not having hit a demo, based on the hype on this thread. Put the 716 CB's in play recently and as stated in an earlier comment, one of the best irons I've played in a long time. It will be an understatement if I say I'm not disappointed in the T-MB. Not even remotely in the same league as the CB's. Compared to the CB's, the T-MB is harsh and not really that much easier to hit than the CB, although a little longer. I actually found the CB's a lot easier to play, to dial in the correct distance and to work left, right, high, low etc. in my respectful opinion, if feel and workability does not bother you and if you're looking for more distance, then by all means, go for it. All I've done again is to proof to myself that before one should buy a club one needs to demo it, and if possible play a practice round with it.[/quote]

I agree the CBs are as forgiving as the 714 AP2... They don't look it but boy they are.
[/quote]
I agree I just switched from 714 ap2 to 716 CB and forgiveness is the same they do not look like it at address but the CB is a tad. Longer in distance and just as forgiving but you can actually work the ball with the CB awesome iron I have the mbt in the 4 iron great iron but I must say the hollow felling is weird the CB reminds me of the o,d mizzys best iron made in a long time[/quote]

Surprisingly, I'm one of the few who didn't really like the feel of the CB's, even when flushed.

To compare them to Mizzy is asinine. I hit them side by side against my 714AP2 and the AP2 were way softer and didn't feel as clicky when missed a groove or two low.

Still a great club and probably the best in the 716 line along with the T-mb.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='t4t3r' timestamp='1442934036' post='12349888']I think the CB will be the winner this year with improved forgiveness along with the looks, kind of a "best of" version of the AP2.[/quote]

I've hit em both. Just my humble opinion but the CB felt like trash compared to the MB. Maybe I was having a bad day with that CB at the store but it just wasn't even close. Also, the MB was not that tough to hit and when you set them down in the playing position they look exactly the same. Obviously both look stunning.

If I got a set I would have to do MB to the 5 or 6 and figure something else out after. I don't think I'd wanna be playing in a tourney depending on that tiny 4 iron to be hit dead center.

I guess I'm just saying I'm very impressed with the MB. Both great!

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

All I know is , for the first time I'm jacked about Titleist irons . The AP1s are going in my bag this year . I love the lofts of the irons with the offset being lower that other GIs .

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

[quote name='NoTalentLefty' timestamp='1449349376' post='12684780']
All I know is , for the first time I'm jacked about Titleist irons . The AP1s are going in my bag this year . I love the lofts of the irons with [b]the offset being lower that other GIs .[/b]
[/quote]
Thats whats getting me moist as well- blades to GI is a massive ego leap but maybe its time.

^and this thread just got weird^

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Looks like they deleted that crap. Thank you mods.

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='Peanut191' timestamp='1449244921' post='12679886'][quote name='Aren' timestamp='1449243449' post='12679768']
[quote name='Peanut191' timestamp='1449238799' post='12679452']For those of you who are playing a mixed set of T-MB's in the long irons and CB's in the short irons, which club are you using as the cutoff point between the two? 4,5 or 6 iron?

From looking at the loft chart, it looks like a cutoff with the T-MB in the 5 iron might be good, but I'm curious about the gapping if the T-MB's are supposed to be a little longer than the CB's?[/quote]
As mentioned earlier, I've put the T-MB 4 iron in play. However, my 716 CB's lofts are 1* degree stronger than standard, to bring them in line with the 716 AP2. As a result, the gapping between my CB 5 iron and the T-MB 4 iron is not to drastic
[/quote]

I was actually thinking about doing that, but the other way around, making the T-MB 1* weaker. I wouldn't imagine that would mess with the bounce and offset too much. Have you noticed any difference in playability after making the CB's stronger?

I also like matching gap wedges with the set. Was thinking about throwing in the T-MB gap weakened by a degree, but I'd like to see how close the T-MB gap matches in looks to the CB pitching wedge. Unfortunately, with the MOTO, I don't think I'll get a chance to do that as the shop here only carries the 3 and 4 irons.

Has anyone been able to compare the short irons on the T-MB's side by side with the CB's(not just in playability, but in looks as well. Curious as to how well those would blend)? (I think I read in here where someone has, but didn't get the specifics)[/quote]
I find the gapping in the different Titleist models quite peculiar. Having said that, I'm not a techie so what do I no. For example, loft between the AP2's 3,4, 5 and 6 irons are 3*, the rest all 4*, whilst with the CB's the lofts between only the 3,4 and 5 irons are 3*, the rest 4*. Anyhow, in my case, by having made all the lofts 1* stronger, I have retained the "peculiar" gapping, except for the CB 5 iron, which is now 26*, in other words, 1* stronger than the AP2 5 iron.

As far as playability is concerned, for one or other reason I hit my CB's, with the stronger lofts, substantially higher than my previous 714 AP2's and marginally further. This equates to a positive in playability for me personally. Also, I don't play a gap wedge, my pw serves that role. I'm a feel player from 100 yards in, so my pw, 56* and 60* wedges cover all those shots. I know I am in the minority in this regard but I have proven multiple times to myself that I just don't have use for a gw.

[quote name='Aren' timestamp='1449384889' post='12686290'][quote name='Peanut191' timestamp='1449244921' post='12679886'][quote name='Aren' timestamp='1449243449' post='12679768']
[quote name='Peanut191' timestamp='1449238799' post='12679452']For those of you who are playing a mixed set of T-MB's in the long irons and CB's in the short irons, which club are you using as the cutoff point between the two? 4,5 or 6 iron?

From looking at the loft chart, it looks like a cutoff with the T-MB in the 5 iron might be good, but I'm curious about the gapping if the T-MB's are supposed to be a little longer than the CB's?[/quote]
As mentioned earlier, I've put the T-MB 4 iron in play. However, my 716 CB's lofts are 1* degree stronger than standard, to bring them in line with the 716 AP2. As a result, the gapping between my CB 5 iron and the T-MB 4 iron is not to drastic
[/quote]

I was actually thinking about doing that, but the other way around, making the T-MB 1* weaker. I wouldn't imagine that would mess with the bounce and offset too much. Have you noticed any difference in playability after making the CB's stronger?

I also like matching gap wedges with the set. Was thinking about throwing in the T-MB gap weakened by a degree, but I'd like to see how close the T-MB gap matches in looks to the CB pitching wedge. Unfortunately, with the MOTO, I don't think I'll get a chance to do that as the shop here only carries the 3 and 4 irons.

Has anyone been able to compare the short irons on the T-MB's side by side with the CB's(not just in playability, but in looks as well. Curious as to how well those would blend)? (I think I read in here where someone has, but didn't get the specifics)[/quote]
I find the gapping in the different Titleist models quite peculiar. Having said that, I'm not a techie so what do I no. For example, loft between the AP2's 3,4, 5 and 6 irons are 3*, the rest all 4*, whilst with the CB's the lofts between only the 3,4 and 5 irons are 3*, the rest 4*. Anyhow, in my case, by having made all the lofts 1* stronger, I have retained the "peculiar" gapping, except for the CB 5 iron, which is now 26*, in other words, 1* stronger than the AP2 5 iron.

As far as playability is concerned, for one or other reason I hit my CB's, with the stronger lofts, substantially higher than my previous 714 AP2's and marginally further. This equates to a positive in playability for me personally. Also, I don't play a gap wedge, my pw serves that role. I'm a feel player from 100 yards in, so my pw, 56* and 60* wedges cover all those shots. I know I am in the minority in this regard but I have proven multiple times to myself that I just don't have use for a gw.[/quote]

Must have been a post from Denver or SoCal

went for a fitting today, ap1's and ap2's- cant get my head round the chunkiness of the ap1's which is a shame as I had high hopes.

Ap2's are beautiful though but I didnt get on with the new DG shaft nor the stock dgs300 or KBS tour S (which was better), but thats a topic for another thread.

Dialled in a D3 with whiteboard though that had a scarily tight dispersion so thats a purchase waiting to happen.

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1449365556' post='12685538']
[/quote]
would you be referring to my post where I showed excitement about a club using a 5 letter word? my post has been deleted and I've been warned, sorry if it caused any offence it wasnt intended.

[quote name='Titleistfann' timestamp='1449441144' post='12688058']
[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1449365556' post='12685538']
[/quote]
would you be referring to my post where I showed excitement about a club using a 5 letter word? my post has been deleted and I've been warned, sorry if it caused any offence it wasnt intended.
[/quote]

M----

Lol

I didn't rat u out though

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

its all good.
i will have my t-mb by wednesday, so i will take pictures of the toplines so you guys can check them out

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

[quote name='ob1soccer' timestamp='1449453513' post='12688774']
its all good.
i will have my t-mb by wednesday, so i will take pictures of the toplines so you guys can check them out
[/quote]

Can't wait to hear how you like them. Sounds like a sick combo!

Mine should be here Wednesday, 12/09, as well

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

there really is nothing better then waiting for new irons, i feel like a kid at christmas

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1449453920' post='12688826']
its all good.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Tuesday for me - they're sitting 380 miles away in NM since Saturday morning!

Handicap:  3

[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1449456148' post='12689012']
[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1449453920' post='12688826']
its all good.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Tuesday for me - they're sitting 380 miles away in NM since Saturday morning!
[/quote]

Clubs now 90 miles away - come on Fedex, let's see a Monday delivery!

Handicap:  3

My T-MB's came in yesterday, and I was only able to get them to the range for 15 minutes and play one hole on my home course. Fitting, if at all possible, should help one confidently decide if these are right for your game. I only took the 4i, 5i, 8i and PW to hit because I tend to play these irons into greens on the tougher holes on my course. I'm happy to report that I expect my GIRs to increase with these in hand! Easy to elevate and knock down, great thru the turf, and a nice sensation on impact (solid with a little spring). Hopefully I'll get these out to the course on Wednesday and have something more substantial to report. I'm pleased that my fitting has led to a confident buy, particularly at at slightly higher than usual expense.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

[quote name='Taurus' timestamp='1449438597' post='12687900']
I'm interested in the toplines of the T-MB full set. Do they all have the same thickness or thinner on the shorter irons?
Would really appriciate if someone could post some pics of the toplines if they vary.
[/quote]

I just checked, they are all the same width....

Just checked my status :(

estimated delivery was 12/09, looks like they're still "being processed"

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

hang in there man, if i get mine wednesday i will film me opening them, then sleeping with them

[quote name='ob1soccer' timestamp='1449533656' post='12692518']hang in there man, if i get mine wednesday i will film me opening them, then sleeping with them[/quote]

No please don't .

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

what dont u want to see, the joy in my face opening the box or them under my blankets all nite instead of my wife

I've had the 710 Ap2's since they came out. I'm well overdue for a new set of irons. Hit the 716 Ap2's and didn't really notice that much difference. I'm also interested in trying the TM-B's. Hard to find a place to demo. Whatever set I get will be 4-W. Kind of want something different so leaning toward the TM-B. I know what shaft I want. Has anyone just ordered a full set of TM-B's without trying? If you got them what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

[quote name='ob1soccer' timestamp='1449534582' post='12692594']what dont u want to see, the joy in my face opening the box or them under my blankets all nite instead of my wife[/quote]

I wouldn't want to see a clubophile at work.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha