2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tourcavity blades or ???

thomz0_

I saw an old thread on this but I want opinions.

Tourcavity pro(MB's) cast 1050 SS, gold s300 shaft blah etc. 2-PW set. Also have the regular tourcavity forged's.

Played em when I was a kid(2002'ish) lofts are obviously weaker than my current XR's, 2 club length difference between them.

Do I play them for the chrome/looks and pride? Or do I take forgiveness and additional distance? Curious what ya'll think since I'm new to WRX, I enjoy the threads :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO I would not worry one iota what anyone else thinks play what you like or what works best for you. With irons especially your scoring irons you need accuracy foremost not distance again IMHO. By my signature you see what I play. It does not bother me one bit if someone hits their new PW from where I hit my old 8 iron. Those Cally irons you have are some really hot irons distance wise. I have hit several since my home course is now a Cally dealer. This is just my .02 worth

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I played a set of those, back in the day.

They were Golfsmith's version of the progressive cavity set, conceptually similar to the Tommy Armour 845 EVO, as one example. Cast 304 stainless, maybe even 8620 carbon, don't remember for sure. Decent set, I ultimately decided to stick with my assorted blades.

If you like them, there's no reason not to play them. They're a quality clubhead.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1451264075' post='12769648']

They were Golfsmith's version of the progressive cavity set, conceptually similar to the Tommy Armour 845 EVO, as one example. Cast 304 stainless, maybe even 8620 carbon, don't remember for sure. Decent set, I ultimately decided to stick with my assorted blades.

If you like them, there's no reason not to play them. They're a quality clubhead.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll glue one up tonight maybe, and see if I like them. Everyone agrees they're quality, worth a shot.

Edit: can't believe I've had these since 2001 lol

[quote name='thomz0_' timestamp='1451264537' post='12769682']
). A flush 8-iron is 170 yards for me now.
[/quote]

I think that's so unnecessary. Why not use a 1 iron and have one wedge? 'It goes to 11'.

If numbers mean nothing, then... what??

It's different to have 'Medium' or 'Large' change in absolute size over the years, but a number is a number. WTF? How is my old size 40 coat tighter than my new size 38 - which is too loose?

Really I think the manufacturers can all just buzz off and leave the game alone. Why hit farther when they just lengthen the holes?? How about giving us more ACCURATE clubs and balls and NARROWING the fairway??

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1451279890' post='12770620'][quote name='thomz0_' timestamp='1451264537' post='12769682']
). A flush 8-iron is 170 yards for me now.
[/quote]

I think that's so unnecessary. Why not use a 1 iron and have one wedge? 'It goes to 11'.

If numbers mean nothing, then... what??

It's different to have 'Medium' or 'Large' change in absolute size over the years, but a number is a number. WTF? How is my old size 40 coat tighter than my new size 38 - which is too loose?

Really I think the manufacturers can all just buzz off and leave the game alone. Why hit farther when they just lengthen the holes?? How about giving us more ACCURATE clubs and balls and NARROWING the fairway??[/quote]
Well. With that kind of attitude you will never get a job in the marketing department at Taylormade. �

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[/quote]

From the '01 GS catalog: Investment cast 1050 Carbon Steel. 47* PW. 4* progressions 4i - SW (4i to 3i to 2i = 3*). Low bounce (7i = 1*) Low offset (7i = 1*). .370 hosel of course. Sold for $15.50 back then. Anything else you want to know, post. These were from the era when Verplank was playing GS irons. Yes, progressive CB to "blade-style" wedges.

Nice looking heads. Clean, contemporary IMO. Shaft them up and play them. Was a big fan of GS/SE clubheads back in the day. Thought they had a proper look to them, not at all clone'ish. Got me into club building in a big way. Once had an all SE kit, liked the idea of playing clubs that I had built. The anti-OEM bag if you will. Able to build a nice set of clubs, to my specs., at a significant cost savings compared to OEM. Especially so when they placed the prior years heads on sale (usually accompanied with a % off coupon) during the winter. Little did I know at the time, was laying the foundation for becoming a club ho (even though I was unfamiliar with the term). Thought I was just being thrifty.

Still play various SE clubs. A SE SW that still sees regular usage. SE 650T 7W (Grafalloy ProLite) that is money. A SE Tour Platinum 7802 putter (Dalehead style with a flowneck. Yes NRJ, I noticed your sig.). Several generations of their QS hybrids. The Mrs. still plays a set of SE irons (7i - SW) and a couple of hybrids that she won't let me touch.

I sorta miss the days of GS components. Perhaps that's why I fiddle with all this classic stuff.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1451288426' post='12770804']

[/quote]

From the '01 GS catalog: Investment cast 1050 Carbon Steel. 47* PW. 4* progressions 4i - SW (4i to 3i to 2i = 3*). Low bounce (7i = 1*) Low offset (7i = 1*). .370 hosel of course. Sold for $15.50 back then. Anything else you want to know, post. These were from the era when Verplank was playing GS irons. Yes, progressive CB to "blade-style" wedges.

Nice looking heads. Clean, contemporary IMO. Shaft them up and play them. Was a big fan of GS/SE clubheads back in the day. Thought they had a proper look to them, not at all clone'ish. Got me into club building in a big way. Once had an all SE kit, liked the idea of playing clubs that I had built. The anti-OEM bag if you will. Able to build a nice set of clubs, to my specs., at a significant cost savings compared to OEM. Especially so when they placed the prior years heads on sale (usually accompanied with a % off coupon) during the winter. Little did I know at the time, was laying the foundation for becoming a club ho (even though I was unfamiliar with the term). Thought I was just being thrifty.

Still play various SE clubs. A SE SW that still sees regular usage. SE 650T 7W (Grafalloy ProLite) that is money. A SE Tour Platinum 7802 putter (Dalehead style with a flowneck. Yes NRJ, I noticed your sig.). Several generations of their QS hybrids. The Mrs. still plays a set of SE irons (7i - SW) and a couple of hybrids that she won't let me touch.

I sorta miss the days of GS components. Perhaps that's why I fiddle with all this classic stuff.
[/quote]

That was my first impression of the heads also. "NOT CLONISH" looking The set also a had natural looking transition from head to head throughout the set......no odd balls . Didn't Mr. Wishon design these while he was doing work for GS?

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1451297410' post='12770930']
[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1451288426' post='12770804']

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was my first impression of the heads also. "NOT CLONISH" looking The set also a had natural looking transition from head to head throughout the set......no odd balls . Didn't Mr. Wishon design these while he was doing work for GS?
[/quote]

Yeah he did. Since they're original in design and still in the wrapper I'm not sure I want to build and use them. The ones I've seen for sale are all beat up. I'm so torn now haha

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1451282091' post='12770702']
Well. With that kind of attitude you will never get a job in the marketing department at Taylormade. �
[/quote]
lol. No offense to anyone, but I'd be fine if all club production ceased. I'm convinced there is enough unsold invertory to last until the end of time, let alone the used club market.

Focus energy on making balata - or a replacement based on corn or whatever - and leather grip replacement.

And Taylormade could get into metal spike-proof fancy-pants clubhouse flooring so I can play golf like I'm supposed to.

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1451372539' post='12774726']
[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1451282091' post='12770702']
[/quote]
lol. No offense to anyone, but I'd be fine if all club production ceased. I'm convinced there is enough unsold invertory to last until the end of time, let alone the used club market.

Focus energy on making balata - or a replacement based on corn or whatever - and leather grip replacement.

And Taylormade could get into metal spike-proof fancy-pants clubhouse flooring so I can play golf like I'm supposed to.
[/quote]

I thought I'd lose traction in the spike less adidas I got, surprisingly I haven't lol they're so light and comfy with gel inserts I sometimes wear them to the store :D

[OT]
I would concur with thomz0_ regarding spikeless shoes. I got a pair of FJ Dry Joy Casuals last winter. The traction and stability is comparable to any spiked shoe, plus they are light weight, cool and lower to the ground. They are a huge improvement to the Ashworth Cardiff I had before which were heavy and hot.
[/OT]

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='thomz0_' timestamp='1451264537' post='12769682']
Thanks stu. I agree completely, do you consider the "hotter" iron's distance a defining usage factor? With the wide soles, cavity and strong lofts i guess I'm getting bored (?!). A flush 8-iron is 170 yards for me now. I hit my 5,6 irons on tee shots just so I use them.. :(
[/quote]If I could hit an 8 iron 170 yards I would not have a 9 wood in my bag. Oh to be young again with the equipment they have now. I never consider distance on the scoring clubs I consider my distance control and workability. But then again that was the way I was taught and learned the game. Honestly I could not hit your Callys because of the hot faces with the carpenter steel and all. I would not get any feel and no distance control. Those GS heads like others have said are great forgings most forgings in those days for the component market were high quality. Heck find you a set of pull out used shafts to your liking on flea bay and shaft them up and try them you never know you may be playing them 20 years from now

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• 1 year later...

Put shafts in. Use. Everything was new once.

The bag of pristine heads would mean what? To who? Us freaks and the rare visitor to your house who would give one solitary sh!t one way or the other. You will have far more enjoyment with these in your golf bag than in a plastic bag. As we have said before, one man's treasure is another man's landfill.

Distance? Don't care. One of the best things about every iron I put into my bag is that there is generally another one just like it that goes further.

I have two clubs I am never going to hit; an unused Busson three wood and an unused Palmer driver signed on the crown by the man himself. Even typing this though, I am thinking about using the Busson.

Nostalgia is not what if used to be.

• 2 months later...