Colorado WRX 2016

forecast6236

I, too, heard about the TopGolf coming to Denver.

Also, for what it's worth, Ute Creek is generally considered one of the more difficult tracks around this area (Longmont, Greeley, Fort Collins) -- Collindale is somewhat similar I hear (though I've never played -- only been for events and the AWESOME club fitting guy). Ute Creek is definitely the most difficult course in Longmont (they definitely charge like it is, too). It's a Robert Trent Jones II design. Only one in CO, I think? At least NoCo.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 0 for 2 this weekend.

Had tee times for Ute Creek and Todd Creek. Saturday was beautiful down here in Aurora. Low 50's with sun, no snow left anywhere on the ground. Didn't even cross my mind that it wasn't the same everywhere. Drove 45 minutes up to Ute Creek, only to see it covered in multiple inches of snow. Waste of a 45 minute drive.

Sunday was supposed to be a little colder, but still fine enough to play. Plus, Todd Creek isn't as far north as Ute is. But then I woke up to use the restroom around 5am Sunday morning...only to see a steady stream of snow coming down. Looked like a winter wonderland. Called Todd Creek a few hours before my tee time was scheduled, and sure enough they were closed.

I did end up playing the Par 3 course at CommonGround on Saturday, and went to the Family Sports Center driving range on Sunday. So I at least got some swings in.

In that respect I was 0-1. I got an email on Saturday that both courses would be open but the snow on Sunday killed it. Hopefully, I'll get back out someday soon.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Also, for what it's worth, Ute Creek is generally considered one of the more difficult tracks around this area (Longmont, Greeley, Fort Collins) -- Collindale is somewhat similar I hear (though I've never played -- only been for events and the AWESOME club fitting guy). Ute Creek is definitely the most difficult course in Longmont (they definitely charge like it is, too). It's a Robert Trent Jones II design. Only one in CO, I think? At least NoCo.

As mentioned before, I really enjoy Ute Creek. However, I don't think it's a difficult course. Fairways are wide open and there really isn't a ton of big numbers lurking. Plus, with 5 par 5's there's a lot of scorable holes. Also, it's definitely not the most difficult in Longmont (slope and rating agrees). Let me know and I'll take you out to Fox Hill (it's private but a sister course and I can get a good rate). You'll find it a lot more difficult. It's the complete opposite style as Ute, being an old school layout (long, narrow, trees everywhere, PURE back to front greens).

Again, not trying to be a negative nancy, but my most difficult list for NoCo is Collindale, then Fox Hill. Of course both of them are narrow and long. I highly recommend both but Collindale being public is a must-play. It's a really good track and you really can't beat it bang for the buck. I drive an hour for the Collindale invitational Sat and Sun every year and I never hesitate to make the drive.

Had tee times for Ute Creek and Todd Creek. Saturday was beautiful down here in Aurora. Low 50's with sun, no snow left anywhere on the ground. Didn't even cross my mind that it wasn't the same everywhere. Drove 45 minutes up to Ute Creek, only to see it covered in multiple inches of snow. Waste of a 45 minute drive.

Sunday was supposed to be a little colder, but still fine enough to play. Plus, Todd Creek isn't as far north as Ute is. But then I woke up to use the restroom around 5am Sunday morning...only to see a steady stream of snow coming down. Looked like a winter wonderland. Called Todd Creek a few hours before my tee time was scheduled, and sure enough they were closed.

I did end up playing the Par 3 course at CommonGround on Saturday, and went to the Family Sports Center driving range on Sunday. So I at least got some swings in.

Yeah... It was a lot snowier up north. I was hoping the same for my time at CO National Saturday but no chance. I was there practicing all morning on Sunday when I noticed the snow on the greens melted off around 1PM. I ended up walking into the shop and my buddy and I made it out and walked the back 9. It was a bit soggy in spots from all the melting but the back 9 was actually in really good shape. I was pretty pumped as it's not supposed to be great for a while.

I might have Friday off this week so if anyone wants to get out (I think it's supposed to be 50) let's get something together.

Definitely not for practice. Just thought it might be fun to get a group to go in a couple bays.

I'm down also, I've never tried it but I've heard good things from scratch golfers and people that have never touched a club before.

I've heard they're building another Top Golf in Denver. Up around 136th Ave and I25. Has anyone else heard that?

Yes, if it's where I'm thinking they have already broken ground.

As mentioned before, I really enjoy Ute Creek. However, I don't think it's a difficult course. Fairways are wide open and there really isn't a ton of big numbers lurking. Plus, with 5 par 5's there's a lot of scorable holes. Also, it's definitely not the most difficult in Longmont (slope and rating agrees). Let me know and I'll take you out to Fox Hill (it's private but a sister course and I can get a good rate). You'll find it a lot more difficult. It's the complete opposite style as Ute, being an old school layout (long, narrow, trees everywhere, PURE back to front greens).

Again, not trying to be a negative nancy, but my most difficult list for NoCo is Collindale, then Fox Hill. Of course both of them are narrow and long. I highly recommend both but Collindale being public is a must-play. It's a really good track and you really can't beat it bang for the buck. I drive an hour for the Collindale invitational Sat and Sun every year and I never hesitate to make the drive.

Yeah... It was a lot snowier up north. I was hoping the same for my time at CO National Saturday but no chance. I was there practicing all morning on Sunday when I noticed the snow on the greens melted off around 1PM. I ended up walking into the shop and my buddy and I made it out and walked the back 9. It was a bit soggy in spots from all the melting but the back 9 was actually in really good shape. I was pretty pumped as it's not supposed to be great for a while.

I might have Friday off this week so if anyone wants to get out (I think it's supposed to be 50) let's get something together.

I really enjoy Collindale.

To me, it's deceptive. It doesn't look like it's all that difficult but it's just hard (for me anyway) to score on. I guess if they host a US Open qualifier that should tell a guy something.

Hey Jacob, the Family Sports Center. I know they have covered, heated bays, but do they work for even the really cold temps? I'd like to at least swing the club so I'm thinking about driving down there Sunday morning after I drop off people at the airport. Long way out of the way but I don't have anything else to do but drive home.

It was a few years ago but if I recall correctly the heaters are very good and will keep you warm while you swing. I remember taking off my jacket because it was so warm.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

It was a few years ago but if I recall correctly the heaters are very good and will keep you warm while you swing. I remember taking off my jacket because it was so warm.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've driven by the place once, but never stopped. If I'm going 40 miles out of my way I want to make sure first!

But I guess 40 miles isn't bad, I saw this morning it's supposed to be in the 50's there Friday, I may drive 200 miles just to play!

In case you hadn't seen your handicap lately, you probably don't find many golf courses especially difficult! :-) (in a very complimentary way!)

I should have prefaced as Ute being the most difficult of the municipal courses in Longmont, which it is both by slope and course rating. Also, it's the longest of the 3 munis too, and I'm not a very long hitter. 4 par 5's would be trouble for me -- statistically par 5's are my worst scoring holes (stop looking at me like that -- my PGA instructor knows it's a problem.. heh). I've never played any private or semi-private clubs around Longmont, so I couldn't say for sure either way. I also am not consistently good enough at golf that I can rate a course as being overall tough or not.

Collindale is its own thing, of course, and I will have to get up that way to play it sometime -- it's only 30 min.

Sorry for any confusion!

To me, it's deceptive. It doesn't look like it's all that difficult but it's just hard (for me anyway) to score on. I guess if they host a US Open qualifier that should tell a guy something.

Amen to this. Some holes do look really narrow though. I think it's so tough because 1) all the trees are dense pines, I've seen a few disappear in them during tournaments. 2) They planted all the trees about 4 feet off the fairway. Heck, I've been in the fairway and had tree trouble.

That's one of those courses where if you're going to miss the fairway, miss it by 40 yards so you can play from the next hole.

In case you hadn't seen your handicap lately, you probably don't find many golf courses especially difficult! :-) (in a very complimentary way!)

I should have prefaced as Ute being the most difficult of the municipal courses in Longmont, which it is both by slope and course rating. Also, it's the longest of the 3 munis too, and I'm not a very long hitter. 4 par 5's would be trouble for me -- statistically par 5's are my worst scoring holes (stop looking at me like that -- my PGA instructor knows it's a problem.. heh). I've never played any private or semi-private clubs around Longmont, so I couldn't say for sure either way. I also am not consistently good enough at golf that I can rate a course as being overall tough or not.

Collindale is its own thing, of course, and I will have to get up that way to play it sometime -- it's only 30 min.

Sorry for any confusion!

HA, I already like you Andrew. This post definitely made me chuckle. Don't let the handicap fool you, I have bad days just the same. The hard part is always expectations. It doesn't matter if you want to shoot 90 or 70; When you miss it by 5 shots it still hurts the same.

You're absolutely right about it being the toughest (and best) muni in longmont. Side note: Twin peaks is sneaky tough. The green complexes there are really hard to get around and you have to miss in the right spots. If par 5's are your toughest then yes it would make it more difficult, especially adding 1 extra to the course. Difficulty is somewhat a matter of opinion but I always enjoy those conversations. Same goes for the course management side on how to best play a hole.

Like I said, I'll take you out to Fox Hill any time for a great price (that goes for anyone!). It's tough but a very enjoyable course. Play is also super fast and it's so quiet you can hear crickets eating grass.

The forecast temp went up for Friday so if anyone wants to play anywhere just PM me.

I can vouch for this (and the good rate part). If you are struggling to get off the tee at Fox Hill, you are in for a long day. Especially if there is a 20 mph cross wind the whole time lol.

I want another crack at that course!

Amen to this. Some holes do look really narrow though. I think it's so tough because 1) all the trees are dense pines, I've seen a few disappear in them during tournaments. 2) They planted all the trees about 4 feet off the fairway. Heck, I've been in the fairway and had tree trouble.

That's one of those courses where if you're going to miss the fairway, miss it by 40 yards so you can play from the next hole.

Sorry for any confusion!

HA, I already like you Andrew. This post definitely made me chuckle. Don't let the handicap fool you, I have bad days just the same. The hard part is always expectations. It doesn't matter if you want to shoot 90 or 70; When you miss it by 5 shots it still hurts the same.

You're absolutely right about it being the toughest (and best) muni in longmont. Side note: Twin peaks is sneaky tough. The green complexes there are really hard to get around and you have to miss in the right spots. If par 5's are your toughest then yes it would make it more difficult, especially adding 1 extra to the course. Difficulty is somewhat a matter of opinion but I always enjoy those conversations. Same goes for the course management side on how to best play a hole.

Like I said, I'll take you out to Fox Hill any time for a great price (that goes for anyone!). It's tough but a very enjoyable course. Play is also super fast and it's so quiet you can hear crickets eating grass.

The forecast temp went up for Friday so if anyone wants to play anywhere just PM me.

I'm actually contemplating making the 180 mile drive there just to play. If I can make it work I would be interested in playing.

I wish I could join you. I'm already playing with some buddies. Hopefully this is NOT our last opportunity to play this year.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Saw the forecast for Friday vs forecast for Saturday.

I really hate working a 9-5 job.

I'm traveling for work Thursday-Sunday. I've missed all the good days this month. Fortunately, I'll be playing in Scottsdale/Phoenix Dec. 26 and 27, so there's that.

Nice. Where are you playing?

Headed to Phoenix and Tucson Jan 7th. Not sure where I'm playing yet.

I'm traveling for work Thursday-Sunday. I've missed all the good days this month. Fortunately, I'll be playing in Scottsdale/Phoenix Dec. 26 and 27, so there's that.

My dad and I are playing Wickenburg Ranch (not really Phoenix or Scottsdale) on the 26th and I'll probably play either Southern Dunes (also not Phoenix or Scottsdale) the next day. Debating between Southern Dunes and maybe The Boulders or something else. Haven't decided, but Ak-Chin looks awesome...and is shockingly inexpensive. I'll take pictures and report back. I'll actually be in AZ for work this week, but won't have time to play.

My dad and I are playing Wickenburg Ranch (not really Phoenix or Scottsdale) on the 26th and I'll probably play either Southern Dunes (also not Phoenix or Scottsdale) the next day. Debating between Southern Dunes and maybe The Boulders or something else. Haven't decided, but Ak-Chin looks awesome...and is shockingly inexpensive. I'll take pictures and report back. I'll actually be in AZ for work this week, but won't have time to play.

Don't know if you've played Southern Dunes or not, but when I went down last year my goal was to play three courses I hadn't played. I played Southern Dunes the first day and Aguilla the second. I liked Southern Dunes enough that I skipped playing a third new course and went back there for a second round. It immediately became one of my favorites.

On a side note, did you guys get snow last night/this morning? Is it playable there for tomorrow?

I can vouch for this (and the good rate part). If you are struggling to get off the tee at Fox Hill, you are in for a long day. Especially if there is a 20 mph cross wind the whole time lol.

I want another crack at that course!

Anytime man, that wind was BRUTAL. Although I would recommend we don't play it again until spring. The trees will keep snow around in the shade out there.

I'm actually contemplating making the 180 mile drive there just to play. If I can make it work I would be interested in playing.

I hope you can make it! I wouldn't recommend playing Fox Hill but we can find a Links layout that will be free of snow.

I hear you man, I have one myself. However, I had a bunch of off-hours work this week so I'm already going to get OT before the end of the day today. (Don't ask me how an IT Manager gets OT but I'm not complaining). Which means I'll have my tech cover tomorrow while I enjoy some nice weather.

Don't know if you've played Southern Dunes or not, but when I went down last year my goal was to play three courses I hadn't played. I played Southern Dunes the first day and Aguilla the second. I liked Southern Dunes enough that I skipped playing a third new course and went back there for a second round. It immediately became one of my favorites.

On a side note, did you guys get snow last night/this morning? Is it playable there for tomorrow?

I've been to Phoenix a couple times and I find the west side to be MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper. I haven't tried Southern Dunes so I'll have to try it in Feb when I go. The one must-play course I found was Quintero. It's a serious drive from downtown but it was an AWESOME track.

Side note deadsolid....... NO SNOW! It basically all melted Sunday/Monday and has been clear all week. We're going to get 3-6 (Denver) Friday night but I think just about every course is open. Like I said before, I would recommend a links layout tomorrow if you come up. I was just planning on playing my home course but that's also because I haven't gotten anyone to join yet.

TopGolf is a fun time, not for serious practicing or anything though. And you can't hit driver either. I was in the leagues there in the fall, and it was definitely cheaper than normal. $20 each night, and you pretty much got to play from 7PM until close. It took a good 2 hours to finish your match, but once you're done, you got to keep playing.

Much much better than their normal $45/hour pricing.

Do you have more details about this? I would be totally down to joining that if I'm ever in town.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Noted. I'm definitely not missing out on Southern Dunes now. Only reason we're playing Wick is because I've heard it has some of the best conditions in the state, and because the fairways are a bit more open than Southern, which will help the old man out a little bit.

I've heard great things about Aguila. Does it live up to the reputation? Cheap as well, right?

Noted. I'm definitely not missing out on Southern Dunes now. Only reason we're playing Wick is because I've heard it has some of the best conditions in the state, and because the fairways are a bit more open than Southern, which will help the old man out a little bit.

I've heard great things about Aguila. Does it live up to the reputation? Cheap as well, right?

Not a bad price at all. I think it was around $40 to walk. I played it with Fore Life so got a little local knowledge help! It's a little scruffy in places (but so am I for that matter!) but I don't have to have pristine, perfect conditions. Just a good, enjoyable course.

If I go back again this February, I would be perfectly content to play the same schedule again (although I might skip the afternoon round at Ahwatukee CC)

From everything I've read I think playing Wickenburg is the right choice. I was advised to go there too, it was just easier for me to stay in the southern part of town where I'm familiar.

Not a bad price at all. I think it was around $40 to walk. I played it with Fore Life so got a little local knowledge help! It's a little scruffy in places (but so am I for that matter!) but I don't have to have pristine, perfect conditions. Just a good, enjoyable course.

If I go back again this February, I would be perfectly content to play the same schedule again (although I might skip the afternoon round at Ahwatukee CC)

From everything I've read I think playing Wickenburg is the right choice. I was advised to go there too, it was just easier for me to stay in the southern part of town where I'm familiar.

My in-laws are in Surprise, so most anything is a drive for me. Heck, even in Denver, it's 35 mins to Murphy Creek, which is where I usually play.

Got an 8:40 on the 28th at Southern Dunes. Probably doing a 10:00 or something at Wickenburg on the 26th. I might try to fit Aguila in if time allows, but I don't want to get accused of not hanging with my parents or my in-laws (our first joint Christmas.)

FYI for Cobra fans: I happened to walk into PGA SS this afternoon and they've got a very nice condition Bio Cell + in white/black for $69. I almost left with it for a backup, but thought better of it. Someone needs to buy it before I do.

I think I hear it calling your name, begging you to come back and take it home with you. Poor thing. :(

FYI for Cobra fans: I happened to walk into PGA SS this afternoon and they've got a very nice condition Bio Cell + in white/black for $69. I almost left with it for a backup, but thought better of it. Someone needs to buy it before I do.

I think I hear it calling your name, begging you to come back and take it home with you. Poor thing. :(

I would...but I need to pick up a rangefinder and maybe a push cart. There's also a set of wedges on the BST that are tempting me, but I can probably resist those. Won't go without a rangefinder this year though.

I was in there this morning (also drove past your course, Murphy Creek, or at least the exit for it, but at least I have an idea where it is now), they had a really nice set of Srixon I701 forged Irons. 3-PW for $189. Really good looking clubs, in excellent shape too. Fortunately I am not familiar with the NFS shafts in them so I was able to stick to my vow of no new equipment.