2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Wisc golf mapping

puttnforthe8

Hey gents,

Can anyone provide a good route for golfing Wisco?

My group has Whistling and Blackwolf booked for 29th, 30th and 1st in Jul and Aug.

I plan on getting in early and want to play some combo of Lawsonia, Erin, Geneva or another(if anyone has a better option).

What is the best routing to get these in before getting to Whistling. My 1st round at WS is Friday 29 at 2pm.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you driving in from?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Hey gents,

My group has Whistling and Blackwolf booked for 29th, 30th and 1st in Jul and Aug.

I plan on getting in early and want to play some combo of Lawsonia, Erin, Geneva or another(if anyone has a better option).

What is the best routing to get these in before getting to Whistling. My 1st round at WS is Friday 29 at 2pm.

Thanks

This isn't quite what you are asking...but every July I play Erin Hills before driving over and spending 4 days at The American Club. We go 'cross country' when we cut over to Sheboygan. From Erin Hills, we take Rt 45 up to Rt 28. Very scenic trip, but all 2 lane roads. Takes us about 90 min.

I would play my rounds at Kohler, drive west and play Lawsonia. I would then go a bit further northwest and play Sentry World. From there I would drop straight south and play University Ridge outside Madison. Head east to Milwaukee and finish at Erin Hills. You will be dog tired. It would be easy to reverse the loop. To my mind the longest and most difficult physically will be Erin Hills. Lots of hills, the course can play long and there is often a good hike from green to tee.

Sentry World will not have the highest slope rating, but it is meticulously maintained. A real treat that reopened last year after having been redone.

The Bull is near Kohler and is often played by those making the pilgrimage to Whistling Straits/The Irish/Black Wolf etal.

The Geneva area courses are nice, offer proximity to Chicago, but not my first round draft choices. They are however very good.

Contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I would play my rounds at Kohler, drive west and play Lawsonia. I would then go a bit further northwest and play Sentry World. From there I would drop straight south and play University Ridge outside Madison. Head east to Milwaukee and finish at Erin Hills. You will be dog tired. It would be easy to reverse the loop. To my mind the longest and most difficult physically will be Erin Hills. Lots of hills, the course can play long and there is often a good hike from green to tee.

Sentry World will not have the highest slope rating, but it is meticulously maintained. A real treat that reopened last year after having been redone.

The Bull is near Kohler and is often played by those making the pilgrimage to Whistling Straits/The Irish/Black Wolf etal.

The Geneva area courses are nice, offer proximity to Chicago, but not my first round draft choices. They are however very good.

Phred

I'd consider Wild Rock in The Dells on the way from Sentry World to University Ridge.

Otherwise, spot on.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

http://www.gebweb.net/optimap/

Link to site that calculates shortest routes, if that is your primary concern.

Thanks. This helps too. I didn't do a very good job phrasing my request. :sorry: But Phreddy did overcome my deficiency!

Really wanted the best route/plan for golfing destinations. I don't want to drag the group 2 hours to a course that may not be worth the 2 hour trip. So if it is better to spend the time driving to Sentry vs. going down to Geneva, we can skip Geneva.

Phred

I'd consider Wild Rock in The Dells on the way from Sentry World to University Ridge.

Otherwise, spot on.

Wild Rock looks outstanding!! HMMM!

Wild Rock is a really nice course and would be a fine addition to your list. Perhaps the better idea is to play what you can without making it the Bataan march and come back again. The Sand Valley project will be open in another year and is only a skip and a jump from either Wild Rock or Sentry World.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey gents,

Thanks

First, enjoy the trip. Welcome to Wisconsin! The problem with Wisconsin is that except for Kohler, the great golf courses tend to be a little "out of the way" and scattered. A great example is the Castle Rock at Northern Bay. Awesome course that was in super shape about six weeks ago.

Here is a suggested routing that will take you 30 miles west of Milwaukee, before working your way up north to the point where you go east to Kohler.

- Nagawaukee (Delafield, WI) - reasonably priced county course with great elevation changes and always good conditions; perfect for arrival day;

- Erin Hills (Town of Erin, WI)

- Washington County (Hartford, WI) - a links course gaining the reputation as the best "muni" in the state (and we have a lot of good ones!); Hartford is just 10 miles north of Erin (the Erin Hills / Washington County is a popular 36-in-a-day combo; hint: play Erin first then take a cart at Washington County).

- Fire Ridge (Grafton, WI) - from Hartford, you just head east 25 miles to play Fire Ridge; some will argue it might be a tad overpriced but conditions are consistently good and it is a nice layout;

- The Bull at Pinehurst Farms - now you're in Sheboygan Falls, just south of Kohler; Jack Nicklaus design. (At the grand opening, Nicklaus shot 90! He was pizzed, and blamed the groundskeepers for blinding fast green speeds.) Supposed to rival any of the Kohler courses.

Here's a completely different mapping that would take you to North Central Wisconsin. When done, you could head to Kohler by routing yourself through Green Lake.

Lake Arrowhead (36 hole complex; really nice)

Castle Rock at Northern Bay - six or seven replica holes and the rest aren't bad either; really good conditions;

Sand Valley Golf Resort - by the developer of Bandon Dunes; I believe they have 13 holes already open for "preview" play.

(When Sand Valley is done, this will be the "hot" golf trail in Wisconsin.)

Phred

Otherwise, spot on.

Wild Rock looks outstanding!! HMMM!

Wild Rock is an awesome course. My avi is actually the 6th hole. Trappers Turn makes for a good 1 2 punch if you play 36 in a day or 1 a day.

Hey gents,

Thanks

First, enjoy the trip. Welcome to Wisconsin! The problem with Wisconsin is that except for Kohler, the great golf courses tend to be a little "out of the way" and scattered. A great example is the Castle Rock at Northern Bay. Awesome course that was in super shape about six weeks ago.

Here is a suggested routing that will take you 30 miles west of Milwaukee, before working your way up north to the point where you go east to Kohler.

- Nagawaukee (Delafield, WI) - reasonably priced county course with great elevation changes and always good conditions; perfect for arrival day;

- Washington County (Hartford, WI) - a links course gaining the reputation as the best "muni" in the state (and we have a lot of good ones!); Hartford is just 10 miles north of Erin (the Erin Hills / Washington County is a popular 36-in-a-day combo; hint: play Erin first then take a cart at Washington County).

- Fire Ridge (Grafton, WI) - from Hartford, you just head east 25 miles to play Fire Ridge; some will argue it might be a tad overpriced but conditions are consistently good and it is a nice layout;

- The Bull at Pinehurst Farms - now you're in Sheboygan Falls, just south of Kohler; Jack Nicklaus design. (At the grand opening, Nicklaus shot 90! He was pizzed, and blamed the groundskeepers for blinding fast green speeds.) Supposed to rival any of the Kohler courses.

Here's a completely different mapping that would take you to North Central Wisconsin. When done, you could head to Kohler by routing yourself through Green Lake.

Castle Rock at Northern Bay - six or seven replica holes and the rest aren't bad either; really good conditions;

Sand Valley Golf Resort - by the developer of Bandon Dunes; I believe they have 13 holes already open for "preview" play.

A route through Green Lake that doesn't include a trip to play Lawsonia?????? That would be the same as going to Paris and not seeing the Eifel Tower or going to India and skipping the Taj Majal.

Any trip that cuts across the state of Wisconsin must include Lawsonia. Best course in the entire state when you factor in price per value. Actually when you don't factor in price its still ranked as the 2nd best course in the state ahead of Erin Hills and Blackwolf Run and only trailing Whistling Straits.

Hey gents,

Thanks

A route through Green Lake that doesn't include a trip to play Lawsonia?????? That would be the same as going to Paris and not seeing the Eifel Tower or going to India and skipping the Taj Majal.

Any trip that cuts across the state of Wisconsin must include Lawsonia. Best course in the entire state when you factor in price per value. Actually when you don't factor in price its still ranked as the 2nd best course in the state ahead of Erin Hills and Blackwolf Run and only trailing Whistling Straits.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any credible list that puts Lawsonia above Erin Hills. Definitely in the top ten, but not second.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any credible list that puts Lawsonia above Erin Hills. Definitely in the top ten, but not second.

I find Golfweek's 2015 list to be credible.

http://golfweek.com/...nd-modern-15-2/

Wisconsin

• 1. Whistling Straits (Straits), Mosel (No. 6 m)
  • 2. Lawsonia (Links), Green Lake (No. 71 c)
  • 3. Blackwolf Run (River), Kohler (No. 56 m)
  • 4. SentryWorld, Stevens Point (m)*
  • 5. Erin Hills, Hartford (m)
  • 6. Whistling Straits (Irish), Mosel (m)
  • 7. University Ridge, Verona (m)
  • 8. Troy Burne, Hudson (m)*
  • 9. The Bull at Pinehurst Farms, Sheboygan Falls (m)
  • 10. Blackwolf Run (Meadow Valleys), Kohler (m)

And just to prove it was no fluke here is the 2016 list...

http://golfweek.com/...-by-state-2016/

• 2. Lawsonia (Links), Green Lake (No. 60 c)
  • 3. Blackwolf Run (River), Kohler (No. 73 m)
  • 4. Erin Hills, Hartford (m)
  • 5. SentryWorld, Stevens Point (m)
  • 8. Troy Burne, Hudson (m)

Lawsonia actually moved up in their national classic course ranking from 71 to 60 since last year.

Wisconsin

Lawsonia actually moved up in their national classic course ranking from 71 to 60 since last year.

Golf digest lists it as 12th best on the state including private tracks. No way sentry world is above Erin Hills.

Trip is almost set: Day1- Univ Ridge Day 2- Wild Rock, then Lawsonia Day 3: Wa. County, then Erin Hills, Day 4-Bull, then WS Day 5- BW Run, then WS, Day6-BW Run, Day 7-trying to get on Pine hills

When you say BW Run, are you playing the river or meadow valley (maybe mvalley one day and river the other?)

What a fantastic list of courses....have a great time...and I'll be curious to get your thoughts on all the courses, played them all but uridge.

Wisconsin

I can't take that list seriously. Golf digest lists it as 12th best on the state including private tracks. No way sentry world is above Erin Hills.

The other courses all have some serious "wow" factor/s.....Lawsonia, IMO does not have as much of a wow factor, other than the greens, which are fantastic.....sometimes when I'm on the links course I feel underwhelmed, but when I'm done with my rounds there is definitely a feeling of satisfaction and I think about all the holes and some of the nuances on the drive home. There are lots of links style courses in the state, but I think Lawsonia Links is my favorite, followed closely by Washington County, but I do flip flop these two and go back and forth in my mind.

I tend to agree that #2 in the state might be a stretch, but it is most definitely one of the best courses in the state.

The other courses all have some serious "wow" factor/s.....Lawsonia, IMO does not have as much of a wow factor, other than the greens, which are fantastic.....sometimes when I'm on the links course I feel underwhelmed, but when I'm done with my rounds there is definitely a feeling of satisfaction and I think about all the holes and some of the nuances on the drive home. There are lots of links style courses in the state, but I think Lawsonia Links is my favorite, followed closely by Washington County, but I do flip flop these two and go back and forth in my mind.

I tend to agree that #2 in the state might be a stretch, but it is most definitely one of the best courses in the state.

Glad to see another fan, but I disagree about Lawsonia's lack of wow factor. Pulling into the course early in the morning and looking to your left and seeing the entire back nine beneath you and standing out like a fleet of flying saucers are the greens covered in the morning dew. You mentioned the greens in your post, I personally think their the best green complexes in the USA. There was an article last year with some arbitrary ranking of the "funnest" courses in the country and they had Lawsonia on the list and said they had the funnest greens in the country for whatever that's worth.

There's nothing like bringing someone to Lawsonia for the first time and seeing the look on their faces the first time they make the mistake of pin hunting and wind up rolling off the back or side of the green. When they get to their ball and see the 10-20 foot high wall they have to get over to get back on the green....that look never gets old.

I'd also say the short downhill par 3 to a green built on top of an old abandoned railroad boxcar has a lot of wow factor.

Love Washington County as well, its the permanent "day of arrival" course me and my Florida buddies play every year right after I pick them up at the airport in Milwaukee, on the way to Green Lake. But, I wouldn't put it in the same class as Lawsonia.

Lawsonia was a great course and had really cool greens but I agree that it lacked the wow factor of Erin Hills, IMO i'd put it around #5 in state, obviously really subjective.

Either way you have a great list of courses to play, careful at BWR River, that course just ate me alive last weekend. If you are able to I would highly consider swapping Wild Rock for the Coore & Crenshaw course at Sand Valley (an hour north of the Dells) it is going to be on par with the Kohler courses and is open for preview play.

Glad to see another fan, but I disagree about Lawsonia's lack of wow factor. Pulling into the course early in the morning and looking to your left and seeing the entire back nine beneath you and standing out like a fleet of flying saucers are the greens covered in the morning dew. You mentioned the greens in your post, I personally think their the best green complexes in the USA. There was an article last year with some arbitrary ranking of the "funnest" courses in the country and they had Lawsonia on the list and said they had the funnest greens in the country for whatever that's worth.

There's nothing like bringing someone to Lawsonia for the first time and seeing the look on their faces the first time they make the mistake of pin hunting and wind up rolling off the back or side of the green. When they get to their ball and see the 10-20 foot high wall they have to get over to get back on the green....that look never gets old.

I'd also say the short downhill par 3 to a green built on top of an old abandoned railroad boxcar has a lot of wow factor.

Love Washington County as well, its the permanent "day of arrival" course me and my Florida buddies play every year right after I pick them up at the airport in Milwaukee, on the way to Green Lake. But, I wouldn't put it in the same class as Lawsonia.

I thought the link was cool.... that'll get u in the mood. IMO the last 4 holes on the front are my fav stretch of holes on the course, with #6 being my favorite....the blind/ish tee shot to the angled downhill fwy is fairly challenging....and the approach is no cake walk as the green is raised and as that link shows....some severe sloping....that hole is something....and you are right about #7 you better hit the green or you are screwed:), 8 is a nice shortish par 4 that dogs a bit right and has a small green, at least by Lawsonia 's standards...might be the smallest on the course(?)....and 9....really like this par 5, hard to put into words but the tee shot is hard to get comfortable over the ball with the angle of the fwy...it seems so far away and you are shooting partially over the long grass enough to get in your head and then the blind second...not an easy layup if you don't have your bearings! It's def a course that you have to play a fee times before you can truly appreciate everything. I love playing in the late fall and looping twice.

Hey gents,

Thanks

Routed through Green Lake assuming OP would play Lawsonia...

I apologize if my comments came across as negative towards Lawsonia. This is not the case. I am also a fan of the course and really enjoy playing there. It is definitely one of the best courses in the state, and probably the best in terms of value. I just don't think it is no. 2. Regardless, it's still a great course that I wouldn't hesitate recommending.

And I personally would not skip Lake Geneva in favor of SentryWorld. Lake Geneva has half a dozen amazing courses vs. one that actually takes you over an hour north from Lawsonia and then have to drive back to get to Madison. Lake Geneva, IMO, would be a perfect end to a route through WI and would provide close proximity back to Gen. Mitchell for departure.

Trip is almost set: Day1- Univ Ridge Day 2- Wild Rock, then Lawsonia Day 3: Wa. County, then Erin Hills, Day 4-Bull, then WS Day 5- BW Run, then WS, Day6-BW Run, Day 7-trying to get on Pine hills

When you say BW Run, are you playing the river or meadow valley (maybe mvalley one day and river the other?) Correct - same with WS.

What a fantastic list of courses....have a great time...and I'll be curious to get your thoughts on all the courses, played them all but uridge.

When you say BW Run, are you playing the river or meadow valley (maybe mvalley one day and river the other?) Correct - same with WS.

It will be a nice contrast of links style courses with wash co, Irish, straights, and Lawsonia links!