2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

Good to hear SSP that you may be finally over the ailment. Feeling sub-prime for extended periods of time wears on you, physically as well as mentally. One gets sick of being sick!

First night of league play was an adventure. Froze my a** off. Totally lacking in any consistency whatsoever. Opened with an 8, 3, 7, bogey 4, then a successive string of double bogies, and strangely enough finished with a par 5. Very erratic. Somewhat mystifying how one can swing OK on one hole, then forget how on the next. I'm attributing it to 3 layers of clothing and winter gloves. And my knit stocking cap itched.

Need a warm day to head to the range and get some swing things sorted out, especially with iron play.

I tried to remain cognizant of the "shoulders back, no slouching" putting technique. Believed it helped the cause, making several > 6' putts last night. Unfortunately, they were to save a double bogey.

Acquired (yet to be delivered) a 9 wood (24*) the other day. Does that officially ensconce me into the realm of playing "old man's" golf? Not been hitting hybrids all that well lately, so wanting to try something different. Is an 11 wood on the horizon? Might as well take all the irons below a 7 out of a bag as poorly as I've been hitting them.

Need a golf sabbatical for a couple of days.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear SSP that you may be finally over the ailment. Feeling sub-prime for extended periods of time wears on you, physically as well as mentally. One gets sick of being sick!

First night of league play was an adventure. Froze my a** off. Totally lacking in any consistency whatsoever. Opened with an 8, 3, 7, bogey 4, then a successive string of double bogies, and strangely enough finished with a par 5. Very erratic. Somewhat mystifying how one can swing OK on one hole, then forget how on the next. I'm attributing it to 3 layers of clothing and winter gloves. And my knit stocking cap itched.

Need a warm day to head to the range and get some swing things sorted out, especially with iron play.

I tried to remain cognizant of the "shoulders back, no slouching" putting technique. Believed it helped the cause, making several > 6' putts last night. Unfortunately, they were to save a double bogey.

Acquired (yet to be delivered) a 9 wood (24*) the other day. Does that officially ensconce me into the realm of playing "old man's" golf? Not been hitting hybrids all that well lately, so wanting to try something different. Is an 11 wood on the horizon? Might as well take all the irons below a 7 out of a bag as poorly as I've been hitting them.

Need a golf sabbatical for a couple of days.

I don't hit hybrids well at all. Id much rather hit a long iron or driving type iron than an actual hybrid. I did love the Adams Hybrid mini though. It was much smaller than typical hybrid. But I may be moving to a 5 wood as well soon. The hybrid I have in the bag now just isn't working out great.

Forever Changing at this point.......

After a rain I got to sneak off last night and play a 2 man scramble league since I knew I'd have my son all day today for a well accepted day off.

Matt, I had very little practice time but the shoulders back, or really just less hunched for me, worked great. My feel instantly came back. Very much appreciate the swing thought. A guy really oughta keep a notebook with all the thoughts that have cured a wonky stroke so that when things go awry he can quickly run through them to help diagnose the latest swing fault!

Only 5 teams played but we tied for first at -2. We both missed a sliding 5 footer for bird but otherwise played solid. No great shots but a bunch of passable ones mixed with a few nice putts. No skins but got our money back.

True, 'Rad. I've always felt like I putt better at really expensive courses like the ones they play every week. The rare opportunities I have had to experience those type greens, I liked them.

But, there that. They are playing at a different course every week, on different greens. I play at my home course where I should know where the putts break. But, they do have a caddie that expends a lot of time and energy to figure each green out before they play it.

I just wanted to check and see where the best of the world are in putting. Obviously my bar is much lower, but I was curious how much distance effects make percentage.

It's useful to an extent but like in most cases comparing our games to

the best in the world is difficult to do.

Did you know the PGA Tour brings their own sand to every course?

You wonder why these guys are so good out of bunkers, lol? They're

great for sure but they get the same sand every week.

For real?

You be pulling our leg?

I haven't verified it myself, lol. My bro-in- law told me and he has been to

many tour events and he's an accountant and has talked to a lot of people

and you know how accountants are about details.

I bet Reason knows the definitive answer on this....if he wants to chime in.

Some may not realize the extent to which the tour moves in and gets involved

with a course they're gonna play. They have high standards on many things

and one of them is the sand; I'm sure mostly green side but possibly other

sand traps well.

When my bro-in-law told me this it did make sense and I doubt the tour has

to keep binging in the sand over and over after they do it the first time at a

course. Once a course is in the rota I'm sure they just bring in whatever is

needed to bring it up to standard for each event.

The tour has an entire staff that works with the local course staff to prep

courses for upcoming events. It's not something they take lightly.

I miss Thrillhouse's input. One of the most recognizable posters and he had a great perspective on the game having attempted mini tour play. He kind of had a weird ongoing feud with sam (goobers) that was out of character for him. Not sure if that's the member you guys are referencing. She obviously doesn't always get sarcastic humor and struggles with some social things because of her autism but I think generally means well. Always thought it was strange how he kind of feuded with her instead of just chalking it up to a misunderstanding between two people who don't communicate well and moving on.

True, 'Rad. I've always felt like I putt better at really expensive courses like the ones they play every week. The rare opportunities I have had to experience those type greens, I liked them.

But, there that. They are playing at a different course every week, on different greens. I play at my home course where I should know where the putts break. But, they do have a caddie that expends a lot of time and energy to figure each green out before they play it.

I just wanted to check and see where the best of the world are in putting. Obviously my bar is much lower, but I was curious how much distance effects make percentage.

For real?

You be pulling our leg?

sand traps well.

As far as tour events go, I've only been to the John Deere but my buddy and I both marveled at the sand. Down here in central IL the bunkers are pathetic even at the nicer courses. We both thought our sand games would be miles better if we got to play those beautiful consistent bunkers each round. Perhaps a sand save percentage of 10% instead of 5%! ;-)

I miss Thrillhouse's input. One of the most recognizable posters and he had a great perspective on the game having attempted mini tour play. He kind of had a weird ongoing feud with sam (goobers) that was out of character for him. Not sure if that's the member you guys are referencing. She obviously doesn't always get sarcastic humor and struggles with some social things because of her autism but I think generally means well. Always thought it was strange how he kind of feuded with her instead of just chalking it up to a misunderstanding between two people who don't communicate well and moving on.

I didn't know he had a feud going with Sammy. She can be pretty feisty

when she latches on to something or someone. It's a no win situation to

battle with her and many people here are protective of her.

I like her myself and admire how she battles through all her difficulties

but she has strong opinions and is not afraid to voice them..and voicing

strong opinions around here is gonna get you in arguments.

For real?

You be pulling our leg?

sand traps well.

As far as tour events go, I've only been to the John Deere but my buddy and I both marveled at the sand. Down here in central IL the bunkers are pathetic even at the nicer courses. We both thought our sand games would be miles better if we got to play those beautiful consistent bunkers each round. Perhaps a sand save percentage of 10% instead of 5%! ;-)

haha i hear ya. My sand play isn't abismal (well to my low standards) but my sand save % is almost 25% according to my stat keeping app The Grint which is more accurate than my GG as I will make trips to the courses without remembering the device or the GPS doesn't put down sand attempt even though the marker is in the sand..... annnnnyyyy who haha, I would love to play on a course with some great PGA level sand. I guess I have at Harbour Towne and the Ocean course though. HT was about a month before the event too

I think Thrill had some issue with another member. That's what I remember from his thread.

Yes thrill had an issue with a member, I actually almost lost it on said member the other week so it was warranted, sad he's not posting anymore though. I think this was after the I'm leaving wrx thread, he came out of retirement got in this dispute and then left for good.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

haha i hear ya. My sand play isn't abismal (well to my low standards) but my sand save % is almost 25% according to my stat keeping app The Grint which is more accurate than my GG as I will make trips to the courses without remembering the device or the GPS doesn't put down sand attempt even though the marker is in the sand..... annnnnyyyy who haha, I would love to play on a course with some great PGA level sand. I guess I have at Harbour Towne and the Ocean course though. HT was about a month before the event too

My RPF has always been 100% (rounds paid for) and when I play bad, I'm usually only disappointed temporarily so my ODT is about 94%, I can work on it a bit. As I look back over the years I've played golf at some of my bigger mistakes I've overcome, I have totally eliminated CFOC (clubs fell off cart), and WTS (whiffed tee shot) so I've got that going for me. One that seems to be getting worse though at my age that I need to work on and bring back down is PBT (pees behind trees)... I don't know if any of y'all are working on any similar stats???

My RPF has always been 100% (rounds paid for) and when I play bad, I'm usually only disappointed temporarily so my ODT is about 94%, I can work on it a bit. As I look back over the years I've played golf at some of my bigger mistakes I've overcome, I have totally eliminated CFOC (clubs fell off cart), and WTS (whiffed tee shot) so I've got that going for me. One that seems to be getting worse though at my age that I need to work on and bring back down is PBT (pees behind trees)... I don't know if any of y'all are working on any similar stats???

One of my most frequented courses is pretty wide open so you don't get a lot of chances for PBT's. Can lead to nervousness. :-)

I think Thrill had some issue with another member. That's what I remember from his thread.

Yes thrill had an issue with a member, I actually almost lost it on said member the other week so it was warranted, sad he's not posting anymore though. I think this was after the I'm leaving wrx thread, he came out of retirement got in this dispute and then left for good.

Who's the member?

Who's the member?

I don't want to say cause I can't say forsure that it was the same individual but I think so. if memory serves thrill's altercation came in some juniors WITB thread.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

One of my most frequented courses is pretty wide open so you don't get a lot of chances for PBT's. Can lead to nervousness. :-)

Yes, I have a few of those around here, and in the summer time if you play on them, but don't drink water because of that, you have to track your PTWH (playing time without hydration) or you can begin to feel very bad...

So I found replacements for the nikes. A set of the Nike vr pro blades 3-Pw. Cheaper by a few dollars. Looked to be in good shape. Just some chatter which is fine because it's going to happen. I was going they were going to come in today but for some reason they sat overnight in Columbia instead of getting to charleston earl this morning for delivery to my house. Oh well they'll be here tomorrow haha. Looks like I won't be using them until next week though as I may just go fishing tomorrow as the tides are finally matching up to when I like to get out and fish the surf.

So I found replacements for the nikes. A set of the Nike vr pro blades 3-Pw. Cheaper by a few dollars. Looked to be in good shape. Just some chatter which is fine because it's going to happen. I was going they were going to come in today but for some reason they sat overnight in Columbia instead of getting to charleston earl this morning for delivery to my house. Oh well they'll be here tomorrow haha. Looks like I won't be using them until next week though as I may just go fishing tomorrow as the tides are finally matching up to when I like to get out and fish the surf.

Sweet score Papa, in all honesty if I didn't buy the Titleist 714 mb's I have now I would look for a good set of Vr Pro blades, they feel great!

I didn't know he had a feud going with Sammy. She can be pretty feisty

when she latches on to something or someone. It's a no win situation to

battle with her and many people here are protective of her.

I like her myself and admire how she battles through all her difficulties

but she has strong opinions and is not afraid to voice them..and voicing

strong opinions around here is gonna get you in arguments.

Great insight. Period.

Thanks Papa. The vr pros have been on my peripheral radar ever since I saw a closeout set on ebay for about $500 a couple yrs ago, but I didn't pull the trigger. I got over it, but now I'm going to renew the hunt. Is their last years offering still called the 'vr pro'?

My club just recently put up signs at several tee boxes effectively stating (to paraphrase): "No PBT allowed. Please respect the residents that live on the course and use the bathrooms." Apparently we have had some age-challenged and sobriety-challenged members that often PBT. I'm embarrassed that the signs had to be permanently put up.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

My club just recently put up signs at several tee boxes effectively stating (to paraphrase): "No PBT allowed. Please respect the residents that live on the course and use the bathrooms." Apparently we have had some age-challenged and sobriety-challenged members that often PBT. I'm embarrassed that the signs had to be permanently put up.

No houses on the trail courses I play at Capitol Hill and lots of PBT and

POITO goes on. I warn my POITOing friends that phone cameras are

everywhere these days and they just shrug, lol.

No houses on the trail courses I play at Capitol Hill and lots of PBT and

POITO goes on. I warn my POITOing friends that phone cameras are

everywhere these days and they just shrug, lol.

I gotta confess if it is absolutely desolate out on the course, I will PBT or POITO. LOL just to goof with my wife at Sandpines during vacation I PBTed with my hands behind my head and elbows out. "Ahhh, this is the life..."

Registered Bladeocrat

Sorry, I tried. POITO?

LMAO it's the same as PBT minus the tree.

Registered Bladeocrat

Sorry, I tried. POITO?

LMAO it's the same as PBT minus the tree.

Eeew, I'm shocked, I, uh, OK, I have done it. Kinda liberating actually.

So is confessing it!

Registered Bladeocrat

Conrad, you frequent Capitol Hill? You lucky dog! Spent a couple days there and thought those courses were fantastic!

Matt, got to play my league tonight for the first time and shot a 37 to lead the list of 25 guys who've played so far this year! Can't say enough about that shoulder thought you mentioned. I'm so comfortable over putts right now and the greens at our course are very slick currently. I owe you a few beers next time you're in central IL! ?

Edit: speaking of which, Michael do you ever make it over to the links in Jacksonville for a round?