Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

NO WRINKLES !?!?!

Sixty?

I'm only 40 and I've got wrinkles.

I talk to my mom a lot about aging and life. I think our culture placed too big of an emphasis on youth and that inevitably detracted from aging gracefully. I love this Herman Hesse novel, "The Glass Bead Game." It's basically about how what you've done with your life is reflected in how you age. Most other places in the world respect the older members of their community. I feel like modern medicine has stolen some of the mystique from longevity. Kids are so busy looking down at their devices they never take the time to look back. Imagine what the world was like 100, 300, or 3,000 years ago.

My grandparents generation were my favorite. Rough and the corners and with their priorities right IMO. My grandfather spent 3 years of WWII under the Pacific in a submarine. All he knew was that he wanted to provide for his family and retire to wide open spaces. Spend his retirement like his youth wandering around farmland with a 20 gauge shotgun in his hands, dogs running by his side, shooting quail and dove for his wife to fry.

I'll bet your grandfather was a great guy...

Don't drink, don't smoke, eat well (fruits and veggies) we do gluten free, but I don't freak out about it, drink lots of water, get lots of sleep, don't sweat the small stuff, and stay amused :)

LOL looks like the Mad Scientist thinking "what can I come up with next? or what lyrics can I put to this song?"

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

STU, nice! I almost bought the 915, but decided I liked the shape of the Callaway better. I still have my trusty 913 though, it's a great head, I do hit that thing high though even on the 8.75* setting which is the lowest unfortunately.

Those S+ Diamana shafts look interesting, I've been looking at those on ebay lately. I've always played the whiteboard which has a higher bend point, but I'm thinking I'd like to try something different. You and Matt are making seriously think about getting one. I'd probably get an 80, and play my driver at 44.75.

Time for yet another one of our famous and open ended Confession "polls".

Not a setup here - not looking for right or wrong answers. In fact THIS time its a poll about FEEL and whatever the underlying mechanics are - they just are. This one is about FEEL and your answer can be all yours.

Drumroll please....

For run-of-the mill fuller swings (lets say from AT LEAST 120 out all the way back to the tee box...

When YOU transition and swing the club down from the top.... Do YOU personally FEEL the shaft...

A) Bending and bowing a bit as you start down

B) When you move through the bottom half of the swing as the head of the club swings down below the hands

C) Never - you feel NOTHING as far as the shaft loading or unloading at all

D) At or even after impact there is a feeling of the shaft loading and unloading

E) All of the above (except "C")

F) None of the above because I missed one (and feel free to elaborate)

G) This has GOT to be one of the dumbest polls ever.

Me first - cause its always all about me, right?

I vote G - no I mean C - Nope that's not it - It's A. I mean B. Okay for sure its "L".

Edit" Note the question was less about what the shaft does per se - and more about what you FEEL (if anything).

Dang it Judge! Now you’ve done it. That’s worse than the “Do you inhale or exhale to start your swing?” I just got over that one and now I’ve got A-G plus L? in my head. I’ll be a mess!

Of course I keed :)

You bring up a great point about the shaft and what it adds to feel. My current set of irons have shafts that I think are softer with lower flex points. DG 95 S-300. My irons are forged Mizzy’s. The combination has given me better “feel” and a little higher launch. I am not much of an expert but I think if you lose speed with age you need a lower kick softer shaft.

I also hear they make pills to correct for that.

You nailed it there Scotee as you loose SS you do need a lower kick softer shaft.

On your Mizzys that is one of those things as in different club heads react better with different shafts. IMHO S-300s with Mizzy heads is a great combo. I played a set of MP-33s for years with S-300s. They set up perfectly from the factory one of the few sets I ever owned I did not have lead tape in. I actually put the VIPs up for 8 years or so and wore those Mizzys out. I was going to get another set of MP-33s b and pulled the VIPs back out and never went back.

I like the saying in your signature about being the person your dog thinks you are. I have a picture of my beloved chow chow with that on it. She lived to be 16 years old and was well traveled she traveled on the truck with me and my wife and had been to 48 states and Canada she had international vaccanation papers on her. She was a sweetie and liked everyone. She really liked the guys at Ontario Hydro they always fed her chicken off of the bone

Here are PWs and 4is side by side, FG to the left, Pursuit to the right:

I hope yall can see the larger face, esp with the wedge. I love the look of the 7 - 4i, just not sure about the big spade look of the short irons. I like the compact look of my FGs..

Yeah it does look big compared to the FG. I am curious about those shafts what does it say that it is? With all those steps it makes me curious in how it kicks with those heads. The wedge also looks thicker at the top line compared to the FG of course the FGs are classifies as "butter knives" I also noticed the Persuit irons have a rounder thicker sole so that promotes the weight down low which depending on how those shafts react will hit the ball high. I am not going to get into the bounce factor here. They look good but the sole design does not put them in the butter knife class IMHO. I would have to see and hit them in person though to form an absolute opinion. But for the price new you did good a real blade at that price

STU, nice! I almost bought the 915, but decided I liked the shape of the Callaway better. I still have my trusty 913 though, it's a great head, I do hit that thing high though even on the 8.75* setting which is the lowest unfortunately.

Those S+ Diamana shafts look interesting, I've been looking at those on ebay lately. I've always played the whiteboard which has a higher bend point, but I'm thinking I'd like to try something different. You and Matt are making seriously think about getting one. I'd probably get an 80, and play my driver at 44.75.

Actually my buddy Bo Bear turned me on to those. He is one heck of a player especially for his age and is a fellow club ho and tinkerer like me. He actually got me to think outside the box of how I thought in the past. LOl yep the 80 in stiff would be right for you I can see you swinging the 60 and wrapping it around your head on the follow through and hitting a left lateral with it. Those Diamana shafts definetely got me away from those stiff Creation and UST Pro Force stiff shafts. My 5 wood has a stock Adams shaft marked "stiff" but it is not on the machine it checks around 3 points stiffer than a regular. It was a fluke Bo Bear had it in some bulk buy deal he had and it was in pristine shape. We had it on the range with some clubs and I picked it up and remarked I can not see how I can hit something this ugly. I hit it for kicks and giggles and smoked it. Kept hitting it and literally cooking it. It went in the front line bag. I have actually warmed up to the looks now. I hit it about 225 230 which is good for me. Just funny how that club in stock form balanced out great for me. Some previous owner had already put about 2 grams of tape on the back so I did not even have to mess with that.

Reasy, I heard you mention big band, well here is a link to one of my absolute favorite artists. Jamie Cullum, a nice blend of jazz, and a little bit of everything. This particular concert is with the Heritage Orchestra, amazing stuff. I great concert to sit and listen to over a beverage. The first tune in the concert is one of my favorites, and this version is my favorite by far.

Whew. I hope you stayed with me through all that. (I will try to get to your torque question sometime later...LMAO it is a physics contradiction at face value...)

Sorry, didn't want to re-quote your entire response

I did stay with it yes, that was very nice, thank you. I actually understood it, and appreciate... looking forward to the torque part of it too :)

Actually my buddy Bo Bear turned me on to those. He is one heck of a player especially for his age and is a fellow club ho and tinkerer like me. He actually got me to think outside the box of how I thought in the past. LOl yep the 80 in stiff would be right for you I can see you swinging the 60 and wrapping it around your head on the follow through and hitting a left lateral with it. Those Diamana shafts definetely got me away from those stiff Creation and UST Pro Force stiff shafts. My 5 wood has a stock Adams shaft marked "stiff" but it is not on the machine it checks around 3 points stiffer than a regular. It was a fluke Bo Bear had it in some bulk buy deal he had and it was in pristine shape. We had it on the range with some clubs and I picked it up and remarked I can not see how I can hit something this ugly. I hit it for kicks and giggles and smoked it. Kept hitting it and literally cooking it. It went in the front line bag. I have actually warmed up to the looks now. I hit it about 225 230 which is good for me. Just funny how that club in stock form balanced out great for me. Some previous owner had already put about 2 grams of tape on the back so I did not even have to mess with that.

Nice, the only club I've used which I hated the look of was a $5 super cheapo bulls eye style putter in a cheesy silver finish LOL. When I kept making putts with it I was like,"oh crap" hahaha. Used that thing for a while, then the honeymoon was over..

There seem to be lots of those Diamana S+ shafts on ebay for good prices, I'll do some more research. So many shafts to choose from these days. I think I'll know what I'm gonna get when I have the money and I place the order.

Well, here's my sad, funny story for the day...

l live only about 8 minutes from work, so I drive to work, and having epilepsy for 35 years now, I've never had a problem driving in all that time.

I was one minute from home, and decided to pull in to the drive through and then go straight home. So I put my car in park, paid for my purchase, and the next thing I know the 2 cars behind me are being told to back out. The lady who waited on me says "can you wait just a minute?" Just then, 4 firemen/EMT's come walking in, in front of me, and one walks up to me and says "Hi, how are you feeling?" so I said "Fine, how are you?" so he says "Can you just step out of the car, we'd like to just check you out?" so I did, and they took my car out and parked it. So all of a sudden I think 'O crap, I must have had a complex partial seizure' (you have no clue when you have them) They took me in the check out area, asked me to tell them my name, address, wanted to transport me to the hospital. So I had to explain to them (I was just fine by then, they only last like from 30 seconds up to 5 minutes) and I had to sign a thing saying I didn't want to go. Then I said well, I need to drive on home, it's time to take my afternoon meds again. So they said 'We don't think you should do that". After calling their chief, they decided they would drive me home. Well the back of the drive through shares a parking lot with the fire station, so we pulled over there. The rest of the guys decided to follow us so the guy driving me could get back. So we had a great conversation on the way to my house. I looked in my side mirror and realized we were being followed by a big fire truck..hahaha. So I thought 'oh crap, my neighbors will really really wonder what the?' (we all watch out for each other) So we pulled in the driveway, the one guy got out, shook my hand and smiled, the fire truck pulled out, neighbors mowing and stuff, looking out their curtains, the guys in the fire truck waving bye bye like we were long lost friends.. I smiled and disappeared into the house as if it were just another day :)

Now the sad part, (well at least temporarily) I texted my neurologist, and he said "ok, you're done driving until we can get this med. thing figured out.. " (usually takes several months) Well, since my wife and I are on different schedules at different times, it looks like I will probably have to quit the golf league, not having the freedom to drive to the course and back when I want to... :(

Wow Sixty, first of all I'm glad your OK!!! Hopefully you and you Doc will be able to get it somewhat under control and you can drive again. Golf will always be there waiting for you, again I'm just glad your OK! :)

Yeah me too.. Complex partial seizures of course do nothing to you personally, but of course you can hurt yourself by what you do, or worse you could hurt someone else, and I don't ever want to do that.

I went through this a couple of years ago when I had several of these in a row, and had to quit driving. I did a lot of (funny) stupid things. My wife and I were watching a movie and I got up and took off my clothes for no reason. I told the people at work so they would be aware. I told my wife maybe we should just join a nudist colony, then the worst thing would be I would jump up and put on clothes... she didn't go for it :( hahaha

Mini rant here, pardon me.

So, I've been stuck at home starting on my 3rd year now. My fault I know, let me just say I've 10000000% grown up and changed. Anyway, I have a lot of time to kill each day so I'm on this site basically all day, every day. I read and read and read. I've come to the realization that to be a touring professional you (according to WRX) have to be at least a +6 cap, have played and won at every level of golf available, be a stand out in your state ( somewhat true), be able to get up and down from anywhere (somewhat true) and lastly be some kind of freak athlete (no so sure about that). Anyway, there will always be threads started by newer members that have a dream of playing on TOUR. I'm always astounded by the number of people who say there was a particular moment or tournament where they realized they had no chance ever.

Ok, I understand having life issues get in the way. But to just throw in the towel? I'm realizing I'm either an idiot for chasing the dream or delusional or both maybe, I honestly don't care. I always think I can improve. I just can't really understand quitting. I'm just thinking out loud here, trust me I know this path is a tough one, and the odds are GREATLY stacked against me, but until I've exhausted every opportunity, given it 100% focus, and left no stone unturned I can't walk away. My personal dream is the pursuit, the grind, to some that would be the "sucky" part, but I tell you what it can't be worse than waiting to find out if your going to prison or not, right?

Sorry for rambling, it's just that I have so much time to think. I work on my swing everyday, I work on my fitness everyday, I stretch everyday, I visualize playing great golf and winning tournaments everyday. Sometimes I read negative or "real" talk in the forums that make me question everything I'm doing, then I remember everyone is different. Perhaps if I had grown up in a golfing family and been encouraged things could be different, or maybe I would've hated golf I don't know. I'll never quit until I've given it my absolute all, and even then I might not quit lol.

If only I could just talk, I left out quite a bit because I suck at typing and conveying my thoughts through the keyboard. If you made it this far thanks for listening :)

Wow Sixty, first of all I'm glad your OK!!! Hopefully you and you Doc will be able to get it somewhat under control and you can drive again. Golf will always be there waiting for you, again I'm just glad your OK! :)

Yeah me too.. Complex partial seizures of course do nothing to you personally, but of course you can hurt yourself by what you do, or worse you could hurt someone else, and I don't ever want to do that.

I went through this a couple of years ago when I had several of these in a row, and had to quit driving. I did a lot of (funny) stupid things. My wife and I were watching a movie and I got up and took off my clothes for no reason. I told the people at work so they would be aware. I told my wife maybe we should just join a nudist colony, then the worst thing would be I would jump up and put on clothes... she didn't go for it :( hahaha

LOL, I'll have to use that as an excuse next time I "lose" my pants "accidentally" :) Of course not trying to take your condition lightly! I used to have problems with sleep walking and peeing in weird places growing up. My favorite "target" was the kitchen trash can, it was on of those step on to open ones and I would sleep walk to the kitchen and ......you get the idea!

You've gotten it under control before, I'm sure you'll be able to again!! :D

Hi Hammer.. It's not a rant, believe me, and you aren't rambling at all. I think everyone of us here are going to listen to you, and care.

First, don't give up. I hope that doesn't come across as a cliché. And everyone should have a dream or a goal, even if it seems unreachable, at least it's a dream and not a fantasy. I teach a class at work, and it's mostly to young people, recruits that we have. A portion of it is encouragement and motivation. One thing tell them is the difference between a dream and a fantasy is commitment. I think you are committed to your dream. It is normal for us to get discouraged, disappointed, even depressed by not reaching our goals or dreams when we see others achieve the things we want. So don't feel like a failure, you are not... plus you are allowed to feel bad at any time, this is human nature. Don't punish yourself for feeling bad. I am encouraged and even motivated by you for hanging in there in the face of troubles, you show integrity, not everyone has this. You are surviving your hardships. You may feel like you are being overwhelmed at times, but as a man, a human you are winning the race. We are here for you... always reach out to us... we care very much

LOL, I'll have to use that as an excuse next time I "lose" my pants "accidentally" :) Of course not trying to take your condition lightly! I used to have problems with sleep walking and peeing in weird places growing up. My favorite "target" was the kitchen trash can, it was on of those step on to open ones and I would sleep walk to the kitchen and ......you get the idea!

Thanks, me too.. Hopefully he will just up one of the meds I'm taking now- maybe that will slow down my swing even more? So I just got texts from friends in my golf league after telling some of them my comical fire truck story etc etc .... I have been assured that I don't have to worry about getting a ride to the golf course, yay

Hi Hammer.. It's not a rant, believe me, and you aren't rambling at all. I think everyone of us here are going to listen to you, and care.

First, don't give up. I hope that doesn't come across as a cliché. And everyone should have a dream or a goal, even if it seems unreachable, at least it's a dream and not a fantasy. I teach a class at work, and it's mostly to young people, recruits that we have. A portion of it is encouragement and motivation. One thing tell them is the difference between a dream and a fantasy is commitment. I think you are committed to your dream. It is normal for us to get discouraged, disappointed, even depressed by not reaching our goals or dreams when we see others achieve the things we want. So don't feel like a failure, you are not... plus you are allowed to feel bad at any time, this is human nature. Don't punish yourself for feeling bad. I am encouraged and even motivated by you for hanging in there in the face of troubles, you show integrity, not everyone has this. You are surviving your hardships. You may feel like you are being overwhelmed at times, but as a man, a human you are winning the race. We are here for you... always reach out to us... we care very much

Thank you Sixty, I don't know why I've never heard that saying you mentioned about the difference between fantasy and a dream is commitment. I'll never forget that one! I'm am definitely committed, I have no children, and I've payed all my bills. Thankfully, my family supports my dream, which means a lot. No one in my family plays golf, and I've mentioned before but I was encouraged NOT to play golf. They were just worried about it being too expensive, so I had to save lunch money to be able to sneak to the executive par 3 course once a week. And yeah, I do get overwhelmed sometimes with everything that goes on in my life. It's nothing I can't handle, and believe me being stuck here at home is a blessing. It does get rough though, my Grandmother is getting older, she went through WWII and can be very blunt and somewhat insensitive. I'm her caretaker here and she can say things to me that I have to learn to forget LOL. And since I'm being candid I have an Uncle who is an alcoholic and drug addict, it's worse than ever, he gets violent on occasion. It's complicated, but all it does is solidify my choice to be a better person, achieve my goals, and help my family and friends as much as I can. I just have to use the negative things I read as motivation. I don't think I have to cajones to start a "I want to be on Tour" thread, there are enough of those and I'll just get blasted. If I could be at the course practicing all day I would be, and I will once this whole legal situation is finally over. I'm just ready to get to work, when I feel like this I try to tell myself it's just mental fortification, I'm learning patience.

Thank you again Sixty for the kind words, you guys here really help me get through every day, whether you guys know it or not!

Thanks, me too.. Hopefully he will just up one of the meds I'm taking now- maybe that will slow down my swing even more? So I just got texts from friends in my golf league after telling some of them my comical fire truck story etc etc .... I have been assured that I don't have to worry about getting a ride to the golf course, yay

Excellent, ride problem solved! And yeah, maybe it's just a med. adjustment. Get ready for even more synchronization and distance!!

Sixty, so glad you have the sense of humor that you do. It doesn't surprise me at all that your friends are more than willing to help you. Your charisma pours out in your posts. I can only imagine how much your positive spirit spreads "belly to belly" as RP would say. Best of luck getting your meds straightened out.

Hammer, you spill your guts anytime you want, my friend. Do it here or do it in a PM if you feel uncomfortable but let it out. I'm sure there are a number of "Confessionati" and "OGA" members that would welcome your correspondence. Myself included.

You won't hear any discouraging words in here about following your dream. You go for it. If you don't, you'll always wonder. It may be a tough go and I'm sure they'll be times when you'll ask yourself if it's worth it or if you can really do it but....BUT....you gotta try, Bro. You got this!

Thanks MC, it really is a blessing to have found you all, serious! And thank you for the encouragement and offering an ear if I need to purge some thoughts haha!

I think the juice is worth the squeeze. No bank of Mom so I won't be putting people in debt. At the end of the day it's my choice, so Tour or bust Brah!!! LOL :D Once this house confinement is over, 2 years of hard hard work, and I'll be ready for the Asian Tour. I have a very elaborate set of plans, very detailed plans. I just need to execute them.

Head dislodged from butt, thanks again for listening!

Mini rant here, pardon me.

So, I've been stuck at home starting on my 3rd year now. My fault I know, let me just say I've 10000000% grown up and changed. Anyway, I have a lot of time to kill each day so I'm on this site basically all day, every day. I read and read and read. I've come to the realization that to be a touring professional you (according to WRX) have to be at least a +6 cap, have played and won at every level of golf available, be a stand out in your state ( somewhat true), be able to get up and down from anywhere (somewhat true) and lastly be some kind of freak athlete (no so sure about that). Anyway, there will always be threads started by newer members that have a dream of playing on TOUR. I'm always astounded by the number of people who say there was a particular moment or tournament where they realized they had no chance ever.

Ok, I understand having life issues get in the way. But to just throw in the towel? I'm realizing I'm either an idiot for chasing the dream or delusional or both maybe, I honestly don't care. I always think I can improve. I just can't really understand quitting. I'm just thinking out loud here, trust me I know this path is a tough one, and the odds are GREATLY stacked against me, but until I've exhausted every opportunity, given it 100% focus, and left no stone unturned I can't walk away. My personal dream is the pursuit, the grind, to some that would be the "sucky" part, but I tell you what it can't be worse than waiting to find out if your going to prison or not, right?

Sorry for rambling, it's just that I have so much time to think. I work on my swing everyday, I work on my fitness everyday, I stretch everyday, I visualize playing great golf and winning tournaments everyday. Sometimes I read negative or "real" talk in the forums that make me question everything I'm doing, then I remember everyone is different. Perhaps if I had grown up in a golfing family and been encouraged things could be different, or maybe I would've hated golf I don't know. I'll never quit until I've given it my absolute all, and even then I might not quit lol.

If only I could just talk, I left out quite a bit because I suck at typing and conveying my thoughts through the keyboard. If you made it this far thanks for listening :)

Dude, man up and keep dreaming. Even if it doesn't work out, hasn't the mere quest for it improved your outlook as a person? Besides, I'm counting on being in your freaking entourage! I have a dream here too!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Tempo. I have 3 apps on my phone. Tour Tempo. A metronome. Mobile Golf Beats. Like TT best - start with 27/9 and then go to 24/8 - and has short game numbers at 2/1 vs 3/1 for full swing. That's a swing (start to impact) of 1.2 and 1.06 secs. TT is pretty fixed but you can get voice or tones - and has soothing sounds to sleep by to groove your tempo. MBG is configurable but I don't like their tones. The metro I use for putting - set to 70. Best thing is you can use these at home since it doesn't really matter if you are hitting a ball. My experience is it is true that we ams generally swing too slowly - Hideki, to me, is not the model to copy - doing freezers is quite the difficult drill let alone have it be a part of the regular swing. Of course, Zach and Rickie aren't in my rolodex either - they swing at a lightning fast 18/6 - .8 sec - if you saw the CBS side by side of Jason and Hideki where Day's ball is gone and Hideki barely reached the top of his BS - well Zach and Rickie's ball would be gone when Jason get to the top! That is fast.

As a lifelong fighter of the long swing (and at the moment in remission), I always am looking for info on the hows and whats of .... but shorter is better for consistency and tempo. Actually I've had more success shortening my swing after I got TT - it's really hard to swing even 27/9 with a long BS.

DD has been a great source of info particularly his vid on Charl but more recently he did Bio Kim who at the momemt is struggling with too long a swing - i take it as motivation

to get shorter!! As this guy has won the Korean and Japan Amatuers, 3 times on the Asian tour but washed out on his one year on PGA and 2 on Web. World class athlete to get those results.

[media=]

[/media]

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Sixty, I have a good friend with epilepsy. I might have mentioned it before, but we found out when she had her first seizure. I had just become a raft guide and took her and 5 or 6 other friends rafting on a cool summer day and the cold water and some dehydration triggered her first seizure. It scared me so much, just starting my career as an adventure guide, that I immediately went home and enrolled in a wilderness EMT program. Turns out we did everything right, which is basically nothing. I know the thing about driving because she went through the same thing. It's so tough in a culture without any public transportation options to be unable to drive. I hope you get the medication figured out and am grateful you have some folks around you willing to support you and help you get around.

Hambone, I sent you a PM. Chin up buddy.

Food for Confessions thought....

What do ye think of the old adage that a heavy putter is good for fast greens and vice versa. I've been playing with this 50 gram counterweight in my 350 gram Anser style putter and am starting to wonder if I don't want to throw the weight and tool in the bag. Seems like with the counterbalance is better for slower greens and without for fast which would fit the standard theory. Funny, I think when you're putting new greens it's easier to adjust to speed. We laughed at how bad we all putted yesterday because your brain is so trained on your home greens. No one could start a putt high enough or hit it slow enough to kill it at the hole. Every putt was at least two feet past and most about 5 or 6. Tough day.

I have 80 grams in my putter and the greens at Holston run 11 (according to the Sup). I've used it on green that run between 8-9. Counterbalancing is a stability thingee more than anything else. I have a Scotty that was a bit heavier to begin with but with the counterbalance I just don't wiggle it much anymore. To me, golf is hard enough that if I had to have a different weight putter depending on green speed it just might push me over the edge to where my head really does explode.

I do prefer quick greens. Generally to get and maintain that speed they are smoother and truer - I putt much better on fast vs slow - just a matter of getting on line - now if you aren't use to it then putting off the green or rolling it by 6+' is no fun - been there too.

Here's Frank Thomas' take:

Frank,

I know you are the designer of the Frankly Frog Putter and a putting coach and I need some information about putters and green speed.

A friend told me that on slow greens you should use a heavy putter and on fast greens use a lighter putter. What is your opinion?

--Ron

Ron,

Yes, I have helped numerous golfers with their putting strokes and this in combination with the Frog Putter has resulted in many very happy customers who are now enjoying their time on the green, are confident and have been able to lower their handicap as a result.

There has been some speculation that one needs a heavier putter than normal for slower greens. In addition, some golfers have suggested that you make contact on the toe of the putter face or use a light putter for fast greens or down hill putts.

I disagree with both of these notions for the following reasons:

First, it is important to groove your putting stroke to be as consistent as you possible can. Consistency is of utmost importance in putting.

To be consistent you must not add an additional variable by changing the instrument for different course conditions. For a slow green, the ball must be launched a little faster than for a fast green for the same length putt. This difference should be established on the practice putting green which should be similar in speed to the greens on the course. It does not make sense to get out a Stimpmeter -- ( see The birth of the Stimpmeter at http://www.franklygolf.com/stimpmeter.aspx ) -- on the practice green and then make a decision as to which of several putters you are going to select for that particular range of green speeds.

Second, making contact with ball on the toe of the putter-face, for fast greens, again introduces another variable leading to inconsistencies – how far toward the toe will you strike it and for what green speed or down slope?

The difference between a slow and a fast green, independent of the putter you intend to use, is that the faster green will have more break than the slower green for the same side-hill slope, and you must launch the ball faster for the slower green than a faster green for a specific length putt.

The speed of the putter head for a specific length putt is a judgment call based on your experience and pre-shot plan and routine. This will be different for every putt, so why try to complicate this further by introducing another variable by using a different putter for every green speed or missing the sweet spot intentionally for down hill putts or faster greens?

Ron, I hope this has helped.

If you really want to improve your putting I would strongly suggest that you try a Frankly Frog putter and/or come and visit my Studio next time you are in Orlando. If you want some advice as to which Frog would suit you best please call us directly at (407) 396-4004 and a Frog Specialist will be pleased to guide you through the process.

Frank

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I have 80 grams in my putter and the greens at Holston run 11 (according to the Sup). I've used it on green that run between 8-9. Counterbalancing is a stability thingee more than anything else. I have a Scotty that was a bit heavier to begin with but with the counterbalance I just don't wiggle it much anymore. To me, golf is hard enough that if I had to have a different weight putter depending on green speed it just might push me over the edge to where my head really does explode.

I do prefer quick greens. Generally to get and maintain that speed they are smoother and truer - I putt much better on fast vs slow - just a matter of getting on line - now if you aren't use to it then putting off the green or rolling it by 6+' is no fun - been there too.

Amen to fast greens, glk. I like the ball to just fall into the cup on all putts. No clanging it against the back of the hole. Having to read a fast and smooth green with some good break(s) is something that I really enjoy about putting. When I see a 'line' it is just an image of the ball rolling to the hole, just like I want to see it do in reality. I don't visualize an actual line that the ball will travel along. I just visualize the actual motion of the ball.

Registered Bladeocrat

Sixty: Good luck on getting the meds worked out. Not being able to get in the car and go has to be a hassle.Health wise,hope all

gets better.

Ham,just remember one thing...this is WRX...the land of 10,000 +5 golfers....with 390 yard averages off the tee...DO NOT let the keyboard

warriors on here get you frustrated...a lot of them would be lucky to have half the game they brag about...You keep your dreams and goals

in your head,and never let them go. You'll get there.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Sixty, I have a good friend with epilepsy. I might have mentioned it before, but we found out when she had her first seizure. I had just become a raft guide and took her and 5 or 6 other friends rafting on a cool summer day and the cold water and some dehydration triggered her first seizure. It scared me so much, just starting my career as an adventure guide, that I immediately went home and enrolled in a wilderness EMT program. Turns out we did everything right, which is basically nothing. I know the thing about driving because she went through the same thing. It's so tough in a culture without any public transportation options to be unable to drive. I hope you get the medication figured out and am grateful you have some folks around you willing to support you and help you get around.

Hambone, I sent you a PM. Chin up buddy.

Food for Confessions thought....

What do ye think of the old adage that a heavy putter is good for fast greens and vice versa. I've been playing with this 50 gram counterweight in my 350 gram Anser style putter and am starting to wonder if I don't want to throw the weight and tool in the bag. Seems like with the counterbalance is better for slower greens and without for fast which would fit the standard theory. Funny, I think when you're putting new greens it's easier to adjust to speed. We laughed at how bad we all putted yesterday because your brain is so trained on your home greens. No one could start a putt high enough or hit it slow enough to kill it at the hole. Every putt was at least two feet past and most about 5 or 6. Tough day.

Thanks Matt, see that's what great about people like you, you took action in that program in order to help others out.

I hope your friend is Ok with her epilepsy and is more comfortable with it as time goes on. I try to use it to encourage others that no matter what they get, they can be positive about it and by doing that keep them from being down or even depressed. I've used the stents in my heart to help others see that it is a good thing, not bad. And when I developed foot drop (I wear AFO braces most of the time) it could have been a real downer, but it's been fun to use already in helping a few other people at the Y to understand that anything can be used in a positive way to show how you can overcome stuff and be better for it.

I can't wait to tell my 'firetruck' story at work and how my new pals were waving as they drove away, it was so silly the look on their faces, maybe it was the highlight of their day, I don't know but we ended up having fun... I should have taken a pic. It reminded me of way back in '86 when I had my 2nd grand mal (I don't have them anymore) I had one in the middle of the night, so my wife called the squad. I woke up (again) to 4 firemen dressed in full fire gear around my bed, this time with a stretcher. They were loading me up to take me to the hospital as I was 'coming to' (what does that really mean?) I told them on the way out that I had just figured when I saw them that our house had burnt up, I had died and they were taking me to the morgue. Another time (we have gobs of funny stories) back about that same time we lived in this same older house. It was summer time, my wife woke up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. So when she did, I woke up, and looked at the ceiling. There was a bat on the ceiling right over top of me. I started clapping my hands and saying "Bat..... Bat" (what else do you do when there's a bat over you?) So then I could hear her from the bathroom "ARE YOU HAVING A SEIZURE?" and all I could say was "Bat.... Bat" ... she was kinda tied up at the moment so she kept saying "I'LL CALL THE SQUAD IN A MINUTE, HOLD ON".. and I kept clapping my hands saying "no, it's a BAT"... when she came out she turned on the light and the bat flew over her head with me chasing it naked down the hall... you had to be there.... she never did call the squad........... it wasn't a seizure :)

A grissled wrinkled man walked into a barber shop. The barber took note of the man’s time earned marks and made small talk. The conversation turned to age and finally he asked what was the secret to his long life. The man told of his years of women, smokes, booze, barbecue and rave parties. “Wow” said the barber. “How old are you anyway?” The man replied.

"Next month I'll be thirty eight"

First - HILLARIOUS!

Second - I somewhat resemble that remark! I like to say "I'm working on my cholesterol." That's not saying which direction I'm driving toward on that front - but I'm working on it!

Thanks, one more easy breezy subject.. 'let's talk torque'... I have two shafts/(two heads) for my driver, both stiff, one is 4.9* torque, 59 gr... the other is 3.4* torque, 61 gr.. so the weight is pretty much the same, however the 3.4* torque shaft I can hit drives much straighter with a 10* driver head, and the 4.9* torque I can hit drives much straighter with the 12* driver head (first setup is Ping G with the 10* head and Alta 55 shaft, second setup is Ping G30 w 12* head, Ping Tour 65 shaft. But if I change shafts to the other heads, I get fade/slices with both... what the?

LOL 'torque talk for dorks'.

Ok so to start I want to just clarify that I am no expert on actual golf club specification definitions and so I believe that torque is defined as the measurement of the shaft's ability to twist about it's own axis. Flex indicates how easy the shaft bends and torque indicates how it twists which means how easy it is for the face to twist open. Also what I understand is that the higher the torque, the EASIER it is twist. I just want to make sure this is clear so we are on the same page going into my evaluation. I may have the numbers and thus logic completely back Word not allowedwards.

With that, now let's solve this problem and I will start with just summarizing and organizing your background data:

10* driver head with lower torque and (slightly) heavier shaft produces the same straight shot as the 12* driver head with higher torque and (slightly) lighter shaft. And switching the two create the same slice/fade shot with both.

In theory the higher torque shaft, all other things equal, will twist the clubhead open proportionally more, based on its relative difference in torque value than the lower torque shaft. So right off the bat, again given all things equal, you should always have more of a fade/slice bias with the higher torque shaft. And then switching it will simply move the fade/slice bias to the clubhead it moved to.

So now to try to derive ourselves past this point to match your (perceived) reality, I have to consider the loft difference. And to that, loft merely changes the LOFT angle and the BACKspin of the ball. Both of these variables have NO left-right dimension. Backspin occurs in a straight line relationship with the swing path, as does the launch angle. So to me and based on theory, the difference in loft should not change the theory that the higher torque shaft will ALWAYS have the fade/slice bias.

Now we need to consider this weight difference that was assumed to be negligible at the start. Does this have anything to do with the ball flight differences? To me all it does is help justify that the heavier shaft will have a lower torque, simply because it is heavier and there is more shaft mass to twist than the lighter one. It probably has more graphite fiber strands in a given area than the higher torque shaft, giving the shaft the higher resistance to twisting. So based on this, I cannot conclude that it will explain those ball flight differences that you mentioned. Again, the higher torque shaft will simply twist open a little more than the lower torque shaft when all other things are equal.

So now if it isn't the loft and it isn't the weight, then what is it? So I thought about the other variables in the clubhead and shaft designs like CG locations of the heads and maybe the bend profiles of the shafts, and really tried to see if anything could possibly change that basic physics of higher torque value = fade/slice bias. But I don't see it in theory. And I'm too lazy to try to evaluate all the permutations since the issue is no longer "all other things equal". But my engineering "gut" (which I NEVER fully trust 100%, BTW) tells me that there isn't a permutation that can get around the fact that when you switch shafts, the physics of the torque value should follow.

At this point, DeBunker cannot compute. I agree with your 'WTF?'

So I'm sorry, but I have to take this issue back to the tester and the experiments themselves. How much confidence can you put into your conclusions? Can you honestly tell yourself that you have made that shaft switch time and again, going back and forth to reconfirm your first conclusion, that you know what you observed is true without any doubt? Is it at all possible that you had a few "straight drive days" and a few "fade/slice drive days" that just happened to overlap your tests coincidentally? Have you factored in how many balls you hit with each club and shaft combination? Did you do all this testing in one session? (<-This would be a good thing in some ways.)

This is all the best I got, but if I think of anything else, you know I will let you know...

Registered Bladeocrat

Thanks, one more easy breezy subject.. 'let's talk torque'... I have two shafts/(two heads) for my driver, both stiff, one is 4.9* torque, 59 gr... the other is 3.4* torque, 61 gr.. so the weight is pretty much the same, however the 3.4* torque shaft I can hit drives much straighter with a 10* driver head, and the 4.9* torque I can hit drives much straighter with the 12* driver head (first setup is Ping G with the 10* head and Alta 55 shaft, second setup is Ping G30 w 12* head, Ping Tour 65 shaft. But if I change shafts to the other heads, I get fade/slices with both... what the?

LOL 'torque talk for dorks'.

Ok so to start I want to just clarify that I am no expert on actual golf club specification definitions and so I believe that torque is defined as the measurement of the shaft's ability to twist about it's own axis. Flex indicates how easy the shaft bends and torque indicates how it twists which means how easy it is for the face to twist open. Also what I understand is that the higher the torque, the EASIER it is twist. I just want to make sure this is clear so we are on the same page going into my evaluation. I may have the numbers and thus logic completely back Word not allowedwards.

With that, now let's solve this problem and I will start with just summarizing and organizing your background data:

10* driver head with lower torque and (slightly) heavier shaft produces the same straight shot as the 12* driver head with higher torque and (slightly) lighter shaft. And switching the two create the same slice/fade shot with both.

In theory the higher torque shaft, all other things equal, will twist the clubhead open proportionally more, based on its relative difference in torque value than the lower torque shaft. So right off the bat, again given all things equal, you should always have more of a fade/slice bias with the higher torque shaft. And then switching it will simply move the fade/slice bias to the clubhead it moved to.

So now to try to derive ourselves past this point to match your (perceived) reality, I have to consider the loft difference. And to that, loft merely changes the LOFT angle and the BACKspin of the ball. Both of these variables have NO left-right dimension. Backspin occurs in a straight line relationship with the swing path, as does the launch angle. So to me and based on theory, the difference in loft should not change the theory that the higher torque shaft will ALWAYS have the fade/slice bias.

Now we need to consider this weight difference that was assumed to be negligible at the start. Does this have anything to do with the ball flight differences? To me all it does is help justify that the heavier shaft will have a lower torque, simply because it is heavier and there is more shaft mass to twist than the lighter one. It probably has more graphite fiber strands in a given area than the higher torque shaft, giving the shaft the higher resistance to twisting. So based on this, I cannot conclude that it will explain those ball flight differences that you mentioned. Again, the higher torque shaft will simply twist open a little more than the lower torque shaft when all other things are equal.

So now if it isn't the loft and it isn't the weight, then what is it? So I thought about the other variables in the clubhead and shaft designs like CG locations of the heads and maybe the bend profiles of the shafts, and really tried to see if anything could possibly change that basic physics of higher torque value = fade/slice bias. But I don't see it in theory. And I'm too lazy to try to evaluate all the permutations since the issue is no longer "all other things equal". But my engineering "gut" (which I NEVER fully trust 100%, BTW) tells me that there isn't a permutation that can get around the fact that when you switch shafts, the physics of the torque value should follow.

At this point, DeBunker cannot compute. I agree with your 'WTF?'

So I'm sorry, but I have to take this issue back to the tester and the experiments themselves. How much confidence can you put into your conclusions? Can you honestly tell yourself that you have made that shaft switch time and again, going back and forth to reconfirm your first conclusion, that you know what you observed is true without any doubt? Is it at all possible that you had a few "straight drive days" and a few "fade/slice drive days" that just happened to overlap your tests coincidentally? Have you factored in how many balls you hit with each club and shaft combination? Did you do all this testing in one session? (<-This would be a good thing in some ways.)

This is all the best I got, but if I think of anything else, you know I will let you know...

Good point, if I was doing a capability study for instance I would want a higher sample size and then get a Cpk of Ppk, or possibly start with a control chart just to see of my processes of using each shaft/head combinations was more in control than the other one. Now that you mention basically variables, I have 2 that I wasn't thinking of. First, the Tour 65 shaft, the one with the lower torque is about 3/4" shorter that the other one. So in using the other one, I choke down on it that much further to simulate the same driver length. Secondly, most of my testing was done at the range= range balls, not the urethane balls I use on the course which is where I have been using the higher torque, lower degree combination so far in play (only 3 times out this year).... so I've got that going for me/against me..

Time for yet another one of our famous and open ended Confession "polls".

Not a setup here - not looking for right or wrong answers. In fact THIS time its a poll about FEEL and whatever the underlying mechanics are - they just are. This one is about FEEL and your answer can be all yours.

Drumroll please....

For run-of-the mill fuller swings (lets say from AT LEAST 120 out all the way back to the tee box...

When YOU transition and swing the club down from the top.... Do YOU personally FEEL the shaft...

A) Bending and bowing a bit as you start down

B) When you move through the bottom half of the swing as the head of the club swings down below the hands

C) Never - you feel NOTHING as far as the shaft loading or unloading at all

D) At or even after impact there is a feeling of the shaft loading and unloading

E) All of the above (except "C")

F) None of the above because I missed one (and feel free to elaborate)

G) This has GOT to be one of the dumbest polls ever.

Me first - cause its always all about me, right?

I vote G - no I mean C - Nope that's not it - It's A. I mean B. Okay for sure its "L".

Edit" Note the question was less about what the shaft does per se - and more about what you FEEL (if anything).

Dang it Judge! Now you’ve done it. That’s worse than the “Do you inhale or exhale to start your swing?” I just got over that one and now I’ve got A-G plus L? in my head. I’ll be a mess!

Of course I keed :)

You bring up a great point about the shaft and what it adds to feel. My current set of irons have shafts that I think are softer with lower flex points. DG 95 S-300. My irons are forged Mizzy’s. The combination has given me better “feel” and a little higher launch. I am not much of an expert but I think if you lose speed with age you need a lower kick softer shaft.

I also hear they make pills to correct for that.

You nailed it there Scotee as you loose SS you do need a lower kick softer shaft.

On your Mizzys that is one of those things as in different club heads react better with different shafts. IMHO S-300s with Mizzy heads is a great combo. I played a set of MP-33s for years with S-300s. They set up perfectly from the factory one of the few sets I ever owned I did not have lead tape in. I actually put the VIPs up for 8 years or so and wore those Mizzys out. I was going to get another set of MP-33s b and pulled the VIPs back out and never went back.

I like the saying in your signature about being the person your dog thinks you are. I have a picture of my beloved chow chow with that on it. She lived to be 16 years old and was well traveled she traveled on the truck with me and my wife and had been to 48 states and Canada she had international vaccanation papers on her. She was a sweetie and liked everyone. She really liked the guys at Ontario Hydro they always fed her chicken off of the bone

Such GOOD stuff from you - as always STU.

Why didn't I just PM you with this one? I just KNEW when placing this one out there you'd come through like this. Didn't know exactly WHAT your take would be - but knew for sure you'd drop in eventually with a one of your beauties. Really GOOD stuff, sir.

Hope you survived "bike week". For those unaware - Stu lives in a melee of bikers a couple of times per year. Tens - hundreds of thousands of them appear for a sort of "rally". Not a biker myself - and poor Stu may or may not own one - doesn't matter if he does or doesn't cause there are a bo-zillion of them at every turn when these things occur. It becomes a land of leather and booming rev-ups. Having eye-witnessed several human catapults when biker meets four-wheeler.... believe I'll pass on putting a bike on the bucket list. It's probably hard to swing a club in a full body cast. (I might be wrong on that one).

Thanks again for the input on shafts! And a "bo-zillion" is a "bud-zillion" squared in case anyone didn't know that. :)