2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Pickup...who's got them

NCBankrolla

How many guys here are diesel truck owners? Thinking of moving to a diesel after this but not sure I can justify since I don't really tow anything.

If you are no working the truck, then there is no reason to purchase a diesel. Unless you just have money to waste.

Then again most people don't even use there 4wd crew cab trucks for more than grocery store and family runs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2004 F150 Supercab XLT. 5.4 litre engine, possibly the crappiest one ever designed. Out of 3 known issues with that engine, mine suffers from... All 3. Other than that, the section of the folding rear seat behind me is my golfing center. I have a full set of golf clothes (including weather gear) spiked and spikeless shoes, sun protection, umbrella, clubs, grips and tape, and approximately 5 dozen golf balls. My wife refuses to ride with me anywhere.

I had a 98 Tacoma xtracab w/ 5sp manual transmission that I bought brand new. I still regret selling it to this day.

I also had a 5spd Tacoma xcab when I lived in the bay area. Great little truck. It served me really well camping in the Sierras. I remember a few times in SF burning the clutch when stopped on a hill and some jackwad pulls up to 1 ft off my rear bumper.

I had a 98 Tacoma xtracab w/ 5sp manual transmission that I bought brand new. I still regret selling it to this day.

I remember a few times in SF burning the clutch when stopped on a hill and some jackwad pulls up to 1 ft off my rear bumper.

The absolute worst part of driving a manual. Nothing like being loaded down and some a hole pulls up 6" from the back of the trailer on a hill. Had to go and add this to the worst driver thread haha

I've always wanted a truck (particularly a Ram Laramie 4x4 crew cab) but hate driving trucks in tight spaces (urban streets, parking garages, etc.) so I've hesitated on getting one.

You get used to it.

Youll get in better shape too because you'll be parking in the back everywhere you go

Lol...yup!

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

I'm definitely a truck guy. My current DD is a 2013 Silverado crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 and 1LT. Bought it new and it has been flawless other than 3 3rd brake light lenses that cracked from the screw holes out and got replaced under warranty. When I bought this truck I traded a 2005 Powerstroke and a 2008 Civic Mugen in an attempt to get a good compromise of the two in one vehicle. I wanted something comfortable with lots of room, rode like a car, and got good mileage. My clubs stay in the bed on a plastic liner with a trifold leather cover over them. Finally gonna get the windows tinted next month and other future plans are a 3/5 drop with 22" chrome all terrain replicas, some more color matching and eventually some performance goodies.

c3e9ca26e3341edd588540414e35808e_zps45f76b90.jpg

This is my other truck at it's peak. 2001 2500HD with 8.1, a built 79 Dana 60HP front axle and it had 13" of lift and 39.5x16.5" tires. It has sat for 4 years as I've lost interest, but the plan is to get it down to about 6" of lift and 38" tires.

IMG_8805.jpg

mudjump.jpg

My 2005 F-350 Powerstroke I used to tow it with:

IMG959487.jpg

And my 2003 Z71 I had before the HD:

0621081636.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Owned:

2000 Chevy Z-71. 4 door extended cab. Bought in 04 with 80k, sold in 2011 with 206k, rust, and a failing transmission.

(Clubs in the back seat unless I was going straight to the course, then in the bed).

2006 Dodge 2500, 4x4,, 5.9 Cummins. Photos of that thing are in a truck thread somewhere else here. Nicest truck I ever owned. 25k on it when I bought it. Crew cab, lifted. Diesel awesomeness...but I didn't need that much truck. Scary $$$$ liability unless they are making you money. (Roll n Lock bedcover. Clubs stayed back there. Awesome product).

2007 Tacoma access cab 4x4, 6 speed manual. Lots of fun. Had a baby, no room. (Clubs in the back seat unless I was going straight to the course, then in the bed).

Current:

2005 Tundra double cab, 4x4 limited. Super clean old truck. 80k miles. Actually had a friend listen when I said, "if you sell that thing, let me know first." Has a fiberglass locking cover for gear.

Still daily drive an old 99 Lexus rx300 around town most the time though (190k and going strong). Saves the wear from stop and go driving on the trucks. Mostly, I use trucks for truck things. Hauling junk, pulling trailers with toys or junk. Hunting/fishing etc.

Toss in a couple Wranglers, two gigantic lifted suburbans, a Land Cruiser, and an FJ along the way...and some 2 wheel friends. Have had some cool stuff.

I prefer older, well kept trucks to the newest stuff. I don't care to pay $ for technology/doodads I don't need that'll give me fits as the truck ages. Also don't like paying high tax/tag rates on the newer stuff.

Forgive my rambling...I have a fussy three week old baby who could only get to bed tonight while on my chest...so I'm pinned down in the nursery with only my phone to keep me company.

I'm definitely a truck guy. My current DD is a 2013 Silverado crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 and 1LT. Bought it new and it has been flawless other than 3 3rd brake light lenses that cracked from the screw holes out and got replaced under warranty. When I bought this truck I traded a 2005 Powerstroke and a 2008 Civic Mugen in an attempt to get a good compromise of the two in one vehicle. I wanted something comfortable with lots of room, rode like a car, and got good mileage. My clubs stay in the bed on a plastic liner with a trifold leather cover over them. Finally gonna get the windows tinted next month and other future plans are a 3/5 drop with 22" chrome all terrain replicas, some more color matching and eventually some performance goodies.

Any regrets on the 2wd? I am in the market for a truck and have thought about it..... Just having mental issues getting over buying 2wd. Living in the south, my Jeep has seen 4wd on the road maybe 5 times in nearly 10 years, yet I still fear not having it.

Any regrets on the 2wd? I am in the market for a truck and have thought about it..... Just having mental issues getting over buying 2wd. Living in the south, my Jeep has seen 4wd on the road maybe 5 times in nearly 10 years, yet I still fear not having it.

When I bought my truck I settled for 2wd drive because it's near impossible to find a 2nd gen ram dually with the Cummins in 5 speed and 4x4. It's the one thing I would change about the truck and will probably be the biggest reason I decide to upgrade. I wish I would have been more patient but nonetheless I got a great truck at a fair price and other than getting stuck a couple times it hasn't let me down. I don't know what you're buying situation is but I would really consider not settle for a 2wd. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I'm turning that into a web acronym: HINNI/NINHI

I only use my 4wd maybe half a dozen times a year, but it is one of those things that when you use it, it is very handy. Usually for ice/snow, but just last month I parked at the end of a marsh road to launch my yak. It is shell covered but my left rear was on marsh mud. When I tried to leave my left rear just spun and I was starting to dig a trench. Pop it in to 4w, pull out no prob

No regrets so far. I put about 500lbs in the bed during winter and haven't had any problems getting around. The traction control and stabilitrac really straighten the truck out the few times I tried to get it sideways getting the feel of it. If I'm ever off pavement I pay extra attention to the conditions but like I said, I wanted something that rode like a car and I don't take my truck where I wouldn't take a car.

If I only had one truck, it would be 4wd.

Did some test drives today..... Ram Big Horn 1500 w/ Hemi and the F150 XLT w/ Ecoboost 2.7

I liked the Ram a lot, but the need for 89 octane gas on an already thirsty engine makes me nervous. It was slightly better equipped for the price, climate control and navigation, although I don't care about navi.

The F150 actually felt quicker than the Ram and it has better rated gas mileage while allowing 87 octane. It had the FX4 package on it that made up for the lack of climate control in my mind.

I still don't know exactly which one to get!!! Leaning F150 right now.

Did some test drives today..... Ram Big Horn 1500 w/ Hemi and the F150 XLT w/ Ecoboost 2.7

I liked the Ram a lot, but the need for 89 octane gas on an already thirsty engine makes me nervous. It was slightly better equipped for the price, climate control and navigation, although I don't care about navi.

The F150 actually felt quicker than the Ram and it has better rated gas mileage while allowing 87 octane. It had the FX4 package on it that made up for the lack of climate control in my mind.

I still don't know exactly which one to get!!! Leaning F150 right now.

I would be careful with the gas mileage thing. It depends on the type of driving you will be doing. If you do a lot of stop and go driving, the Ford is going to get better gas mileage but if you do more highway or cruising type driving, the RAM will have better mileage. The reason being is the Ford has a turbo connected to 6 cylinders so the turbo is only useful during acceleration. The RAM deactivates 4 cyliners at cruising speeds making it a 4 cylinder truck at that point.

Also, I know a lot of guys that use 87 octane in their RAMs. The onboard computer just adjusts the timing automatically. The 89 is recommended for optimal performance.

The navigation on the RAM is terrible just fyi. You are better off getting a Garman.

Oh one last thing, before you sign the papers, tell them you want the truck filled up with gas. If they refuse, you might want to look for another dealer. If they break a deal over less than 60 bucks, how are they going to treat you if you need warranty service?

RBZ Stage 2 Tour Driver Adjusted to 10.5*
RBZ Stage 2, 3 tour Hybrid Adjusted to 17*
Titleist CB712 3-PW
Titleist Vokey 56* wedge
Nike Method Core 4 Putter

2012 frontier crew cab with cover on back. Open back , slide in clubs, close. If necessary roll back cover and put clubs in. Roll back. Sit four guys comfortably.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

Personally the aluminum on the new fords is a deal breaker for me.

Just out of curiosity, why would that be a deal breaker? It has shown to be more resilient to damage than the older stamped steel body panels, it is lighter which will offer fuel savings and performance gains for a comparable truck with a heavier body. I've heard people say that, but no one has ever been able to articulate why it would be a deal breaker aside from some hang up on older steel body trucks.