Tyson Lamb Putters & Crafts

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going Fourteen with the feather logo?

That's what I thought the first time I saw it, but I think it is actually having to do with the Japan only brand? (I'm sure a lambassador can chime in on that). The thing that caught my eye in one of the photos is the red "diamond" with a "t" stamp in it. I wonder if the japan market requested something similar to a red circle dot like Scotty has? That booth looks real solid though and much butter than what was going down at the PGA show.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

The feather is the distributor's (Niki Golf) logo.

Putters, covers, divot tools, etc... I really like the looks of everything here, especially that chiseled neck style.

Take a look at that COA, though. It's a nice bow to put on the whole custom putter package, but this one looks a bit... well... borrowed. :huh:

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Putters, covers, divot tools, etc... I really like the looks of everything here, especially that chiseled neck style.

Take a look at that COA, though. It's a nice bow to put on the whole custom putter package, but this one looks a bit... well... borrowed. :huh:

there's a ton that looks borrowed.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Sure... but you have to be fair. There is a ton about every company that is borrowed.

Everyone borrows from the Ping Anser and Anser 2.

Many can make a good case that the 009 was borrowed from Byron's DH89.

Pretty much every company has some sort of an Odyssey #7 shape now.

This list could go on... and on... and on...

A lot of this thread is a straight up witch hunt, and not many people are giving credit where credit is due. Tyson Lamb has some awesome designs, and he's doing a few things that are new and fresh (chiseled necks, some of his hammering patterns, the stepped sole, etc...). He's doing a great job of putting a twist on some classic head shapes. And sorry to all who are offended, but the donuts are awesome and the F-Bomb is just funny.

That said, if you want to make a registry and issue COAs (like many art dealers do), that's fine... no biggie... it's a very nice touch. If you want to model it after another company that has been very successful with this kind of thing, again, no biggie... but at least change the formatting, the photos, the appearance at least a little bit. Heck, it wouldn't be that difficult to turn the document to portrait orientation and add a 4th photo. At least it wouldn't look like a carbon copy.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

i see no problem with the COAs. Scotty set the bar that everyone needs to follow now. everyone puts bombs and stupid sayings on putters now. they all weld necks and hand stamp. before scotty made that mainstream very few were doing it. does anyone besides Scotty (and now Tyson) do COAs? Tyson is in a business deal with Jim Butler. im sure Jim is guiding him.

anyway i think its a good sign for Tyson that he was brought over to Japan for the show. as we all know the Japanese market for golf is one of, if not the, strongest markets for golf worldwide.

from what i understand the booth was set up by NiKi golf and not by Tyson. i think it looks much better then the "situation" that was the PGA Show booth. growing pains. looks like Tyson is figuring it out.

Sure... but you have to be fair. There is a ton about every company that is borrowed.

Everyone borrows from the Ping Anser and Anser 2.

Many can make a good case that the 009 was borrowed from Byron's DH89.

Pretty much every company has some sort of an Odyssey #7 shape now.

This list could go on... and on... and on...

A lot of this thread is a straight up witch hunt, and not many people are giving credit where credit is due. Tyson Lamb has some awesome designs, and he's doing a few things that are new and fresh (chiseled necks, some of his hammering patterns, the stepped sole, etc...). He's doing a great job of putting a twist on some classic head shapes. And sorry to all who are offended, but the donuts are awesome and the F-Bomb is just funny.

That said, if you want to make a registry and issue COAs (like many art dealers do), that's fine... no biggie... it's a very nice touch. If you want to model it after another company that has been very successful with this kind of thing, again, no biggie... but at least change the formatting, the photos, the appearance at least a little bit. Heck, it wouldn't be that difficult to turn the document to portrait orientation and add a 4th photo. At least it wouldn't look like a carbon copy.

oh for sure. i mean the sticks he pumps out are pretty amazing. i get everyone borrows the anser model. just find it interesting that there's a lot more similarities that i see with him and SC. circle texas - coa - certain stamps.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

i dont know this forums rules when it comes to posting putter pictures. but since so many like pointing out that Tyson seems to be copying Scotty.......

how many of the people with issue also have a putter by one of the following makers......the point is that everyone copies Mr. Cameron. every single one of these heads is either a 009 or Timeless head.

i dont know this forums rules when it comes to posting putter pictures. but since so many like pointing out that Tyson seems to be copying Scotty.......

how many of the people with issue also have a putter by one of the following makers......the point is that everyone copies Mr. Cameron. every single one of these heads is either a 009 or Timeless head.

Bonus points for the photo compilation. Nice mix of different craftsmen.

But to the point, I think we all have moved on from the "likeness" issue in putter styles. It's a moot point that everyone samples everyone else. I think the point that was made a few post earlier was only in regards to the COA. From a distance, the Lamb COA looks like a zerox. But whatever. It's just a piece of paper. No need to nit pick.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

I do believe Bettinardi does COA's for their tour putters if i'm not mistaken.

That booth looks a he!! of a lot better than what the PGA Table Rock booth was.

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra F8+[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Adams Tight Lies Tour 14.5[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra AMP 18[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Bridgestone J40 Combo [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway MP3 52/58[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Tyson Lamb Custom Bridgeport[/font][/size]
[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif"]Vice Pro +[/font]

they all weld necks and hand stamp. before scotty made that mainstream very few were doing it.

Sorry but Scotty did not invent nor popularize hand stamps or welded necks on putters. That's been a standardish thing for a long time. If anyone gets credit for that it should be TP Mills.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

they all weld necks and hand stamp. before scotty made that mainstream very few were doing it.

Sorry but Scotty did not invent nor popularize hand stamps or welded necks on putters. That's been a standardish thing for a long time. If anyone gets credit for that it should be TP Mills.

Dude. Please don't turn this into the "Let's decide who gets credit for what" nitpick segment. I beg of you. No one likes that guy. And honestly no one bleeping cares, probably including the makers themselves. There's no trophy.

Dude. Please don't turn this into the "Let's decide who gets credit for what" nitpick segment. I beg of you. No one likes that guy. And honestly no one bleeping cares, probably including the makers themselves. There's no trophy.

Fair enough, however I believe that my comments were relevant to the discussion comparing Tyson to Scotty.

You know what other "guy" nobody likes? The Internet police guy who posts like you did and adds literally nothing to the discussion.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Just wanted to thank Raiders for making a post that has my name on three putters, all in one swoop. If I did that, it would not have stayed up for 30 minutes, and rightfully so. Thanks for that.

On a side note, my building of the Anser head was after six years of telling guys to go to a different maker out in Huntington Beach if that was the head they HAD to have. A friend of mine was doing a fantastic job with his Scottsdale version and I had very little interest in releasing that model. It took a customer throwing nearly enough at me to pay for my first run of CNC heads that I swallowed hard and had my MA/66 created. You see, when I started in this craft, I wanted to be a putter maker, not a machinist who chose putters because it was where the profit was. For those who think that Jim Butler, THE mind behind Tyson's growth, went straight to Tyson after Cameron took away his distributorship, you are mistaken. There is a story in that, one of those that gets told with a cold drink in your hand and smile on one's face. Let's just say that profit definitely played a part greater that many other aspects.

Best of luck with getting in on the ground floor like VOG. He even knew enough that the craftsmanship and subtle nuances of Scotty's early stuff was the draw that would pull people in. It took Jim 30+ years to build THAT collectors market. Watching guys jump on this bandwagon thinking the same can be done in 2-3 is worth the price of admission.

Have a great day, guys and gals. They are just putters, in the end and the story is what will last longer than the clubs themselves.

LaMont in AZ

Fair enough, however I believe that my comments were relevant to the discussion comparing Tyson to Scotty.

You know what other "guy" nobody likes? The Internet police guy who posts like you did and adds literally nothing to the discussion.

It's addition by subtraction, and yes I believe there is value in avoiding going any further down the Tyson v Scotty rabbit hole than we already have, and I don't think I'm in the minority on that even here on WRX.

But if I MUST add something to the conversation for you Freddie, it would be my pleasure. Tyson changed his IG logo to the Lamb outline. *How controversial* DISCUSS! ...

/s

It's addition by subtraction, and yes I believe there is value in avoiding going any further down the Tyson v Scotty rabbit hole than we already have, and I don't think I'm in the minority on that even here on WRX.

But if I MUST add something to the conversation for you Freddie, it would be my pleasure. Tyson changed his IG logo to the Lamb outline. *How controversial* DISCUSS! ...

/s

Haha, don't think there's a lot to discuss about his IG profile image change... But yes, I'm gonna have to agree that I think it's silly / pointless to further the SC vs LC vs Betti vs (insert putter maker here).

LaMont, thank you for your input and I'm sure there's some back stories to be told about Mr.Butler and his now associations with Mr.Lamb. In time some of that story will be told.

Ive been a SC fan for some time now (older stuff, hate the spaceship style he's going with these days) but (for me) there's something appealing of what Mr.Lamb is doing. Just his niche I guess but judging by his following online and demand for his putters, he's found a piece of the market that seems so crowded. Lets see if he can keep in the game as long as some other the other more established putter makers.

I have a feeling he can. Time will tell.

[size=4][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Tyson Lamb Custom Bridgeport[/font][/size]

Lamont thanks for posting. Please don't think I was bashing you. I love your putters. Your a great craftsman. If the money is in making what the people want and the people want similar to what Scotty did I have no qualms. Financially it's smart business. I see you make a lot of your own oringinals these days and I love that about your stuff.

But my point was I don't care what kind of sticks you makers make. All I care about as a collector is that I feel like my interests are the most important part of the build. I want to feel like I had some involvement in my putter. With Scotty that basically all gone. You get carbon copy putters. I'm tired of it.

I hope you don't think I was calling you on the carpet. I was just using the most prominent makers in the industry all do things similar.

I'm surprised to see so much controversy over Tyson Lamb and his putters. If you like it, buy it and if you don't, don't. Why is it more complicated than that? Supply and demand will work itself out.

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]

I'm surprised to see so much controversy over Tyson Lamb and his putters. If you like it, buy it and if you don't, don't. Why is it more complicated than that? Supply and demand will work itself out.

You've been a member for almost 6 years and question why people get worked up over something like a putter maker? lol

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

Even if you like them (they are nice) you still cant buy one anyway!!!!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Even if you like them (they are nice) you still cant buy one anyway!!!!

there's a bunch for sale on Jim Butler's website at Table Rock.

It's not custom if it is already made. Not interested in those at all.

It's not custom if it is already made. Not interested in those at all.

have you reached out to Tyson and asked him to make you something yet?

Many months back, never got a return email. I'll buy and few others I want, and then circle back.

i see no problem with the COAs. Scotty set the bar that everyone needs to follow now. everyone puts bombs and stupid sayings on putters now. they all weld necks and hand stamp. before scotty made that mainstream very few were doing it. does anyone besides Scotty (and now Tyson) do COAs? Tyson is in a business deal with Jim Butler. im sure Jim is guiding him.

anyway i think its a good sign for Tyson that he was brought over to Japan for the show. as we all know the Japanese market for golf is one of, if not the, strongest markets for golf worldwide.

from what i understand the booth was set up by NiKi golf and not by Tyson. i think it looks much better then the "situation" that was the PGA Show booth. growing pains. looks like Tyson is figuring it out.

Whats up S-man

COA's ? Actually when Nick no longer worked for Rand he somehow became a Bettinardi tour putter distributor. The Bettinardi plan the next few years was to copy many of the things they thought were making Scotty successful. They started issuing COA's with new putters. I believe you could send in older Betti putters for COA's too. Then there were all the Betti headcover releases. Then the putter parties. I think there is even Bettinardi's version of the pivot tool, belt buckles, ect.

If your going to copy a successful marketing plan Scotty's isn't bad. That said, where is the Bettinardi now? I don't follow the putter markets as close as I once did. But to a casual observer I don't see or hear anything about them. Jim certainly experienced Scotty's long run and I'm sure has much to offer Tyson. But at some point in time you have to come up with your own plan. He's on the right track with a Japan distributor and a few putter ideas that are original.

You made a comment in a another post that is every putter makers dilemma.

"All I care about as a collector is that I feel like my interests are the most important part of the build. I want to feel like I had some involvement in my putter."

Once a putter maker realizes this is what is important to his customer, now he has to decide if he has the time to be both a contract putter maker and an artisan putter maker. It would be like starting a whole separate business. One to take orders for "collectible" personalized putters and one for your own creations and ideas. I'm not saying it can't be done because Scotty did it for a while. Back when you could order a custom putter from him it sometimes took several years to get your order. I think he eventually decided he didn't want people to wait that long and he wanted to make putters he wanted to make. I'm sure he cringed at some of the things that people wanted to order.

Hope your doing well

JAT's

Greg

jump on the Lamb train before he goes OEM.

I wouldn't be so quick to imply that as if it were an inevitability. I would assume he only goes OEM if they give him a pretty exclusive deal to do what he wants and control the show. TM better be willing to give him full reins and I can't imagine handing over domain of your putter range to a 20-something is heartening.

I suppose we differ in opinion on this, but tend to think it is an inevitability.

In the MGS article, it didn't sound like Tyson was opposed to joining with an OEM whatsoever. He expressed a desire to maintain control and have his hands on everything, but he didn't express any reservation in joining up with someone. I'm not saying it's gonna be soon, but I would place my money on him joining an OEM within 5 years. Why would he not? Customer service and fulfilling orders is his weak point right now—and that could be resolved almost immediately with a switch.

As the market continues to consolidate and OEMs are getting choked out of real estate, there isn't a lot of expansion opportunity. It's been 25 years since Scotty came into the spotlight, and it may be 25 more years from now before someone like Tyson comes along. He is a phenomenal putter maker and a rare enough commodity that it's only a matter of time before an OEM gives him the $$$ and the level of autonomy he wants. When that happens, why would he say no?

There are many putter makers out there with as much, if not more skill, right now. We won't have to wait 25 years for the next big thing.