2024 Fedex St Jude WITB Photos ×

Am I the only one on this forum...

Sean2

I'm 50yrs old, and my drives average between 240 and 280. That's a broad spread, but that's my game. I use a sky caddie to mark yardage on drives, so I feel good about the estimates. I've hit a 300 yarder in play, but that was on a sloping hole so I don't feel too puffed up about it. My "best" drives wind up around 280.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to think I hit it far. Then i downloaded Google Earth and measured some of my drives. Let just say thats the reason I'm posting in this thread....

I agree. After using google earth I now realize that I need to take how far I "think" I hit it and subtract 20-40 yards. The tee boxes at many courses I play are usually playing much shorter than the scorecard states. I wonder if they do it to boost the feel good factor so people will like the course better.

i hit it a long way 300+ on good drives but thats all ive got in golf i dont have the greatest wedge game and i cant make putts with my eyes closed but i can hit all my clubs a long way

my last round i was just 5 yards short on a 335 yard par 4 and i hit a 540 yard par 5 in two with a 6 iron, hitting it long is all i have please dont make me download google earth and realize i dont hit it as far as i think, or ill have to focus more on my putting and the 36+ putts a round must make the face of my putter real sore now do you really want to torture him like that

I think that the problem is that people actually genuinely believe that they're hitting 300 yrd. drives. They do the math on a hole, probably a dogleg. There's a par 5 at my home course that says 510 on the card... and it's a slight dogleg left. Not really, but sort of. I consistenly hit it past the 200 yard marker. Does this mean I hit a 310 yard drive? Nope, but I'm sure the majority might say it was.

So true..I do the same thing now. I found out my home course is WAY OFF on the yardges..but I also found out that I have hit two legitimate drives over 300. On was 327 or so, on flat ground, and I don't believe the wind was blowing that day..but maybe it was a little bit. The other was over 380. The teebox was ~20 feet or so elevated, and the hole was slightly downhill, and I know there was a light breeze that day, so I don't get to excited over that one.

I also found out that many of the drives I thought were over 300..actually weren't..I used to calculate using the yeardage marks, and let's just say, I don't do that anymore..

I play with a friend who DOES hit over 300 regularly. It gives him a definite advantage on days when he's swinging well. On the other hand, when his timing is a bit off, those 300 yard drives go WAAAAAAAY out of bounds. I hit much shorter than he does (~ 2 clubs down at least), but I'm juuust shy of being able to take him even-on, due to straighter shots, better short game, etc.

And I've had ONE drive over 300, 300 meters in fact. 18th hole on the last day of a 3-day tourney in Spain with friends. I was just thrilled I had witnesses to it! :bad:

What is important to me is how far I carry the ball.

In Shanghai I carry it straight around 260 yards with ProV1s. How far it rolls out is variable.

Sometimes I hit 260 yard drives and sometimes 320. But I have to admit that I really don't care.

In a chamber of commerce competition I was in the same flight as a local guy who out-drove me on just about every par4/5. Still beat him hollow and I hit 2 iron off the tee on just about anything less than 420 yards.

Honestly, I'm not good enough to worry about finding an extra twenty yards off the tee. My scores are made or broken by shots into the green and putting.

This is a funny thread. I certainly don't hit a driver anywhere near 300 yards. I doubt many do. I play at a private club that counts many very good golfers among it's members. There are several members who were All-Americans at Division I universities, the state Mid-Am champion, some ex-pros etc. I've never seen any of them AVERAGE 300 yards. In fact, one of my regular foursome might be the longest driver at the club. He thinks he hits drives 300 yards regularly. I recently started to look at his drives and he's very long, he carries his driver somewhere between 255-275 yards.

If I remember correctly, Tiger Woods averages about a 280-290 yard carry with his driver! The TOUR, in order to make the game both more difficult and also more exciting for the spectators shaves their fairways and has them running very fast. I recently attended the Memorial in Columbus, and noticed the drives running out some 40-50 yards. That's why some long hitting pros regularly can go above 300, yet on the entire PGA TOUR only 10 players average 300 off the tee or longer, the longest Bubba Watson, averages 315 yards. How is it that the golfers on this forum are longer than Bubba Watson?

This is a funny thread. I certainly don't hit a driver anywhere near 300 yards. I doubt many do. I play at a private club that counts many very good golfers among it's members. There are several members who were All-Americans at Division I universities, the state Mid-Am champion, some ex-pros etc. I've never seen any of them AVERAGE 300 yards. In fact, one of my regular foursome might be the longest driver at the club. He thinks he hits drives 300 yards regularly. I recently started to look at his drives and he's very long, he carries his driver somewhere between 255-275 yards.

If I remember correctly, Tiger Woods averages about a 280-290 yard carry with his driver! The TOUR, in order to make the game both more difficult and also more exciting for the spectators shaves their fairways and has them running very fast. I recently attended the Memorial in Columbus, and noticed the drives running out some 40-50 yards. That's why some long hitting pros regularly can go above 300, yet on the entire PGA TOUR only 10 players average 300 off the tee or longer, the longest Bubba Watson, averages 315 yards. How is it that the golfers on this forum are longer than Bubba Watson?

And they only measure two drives per round on the two best driving holes on the course that given week.

Just to put this in perspective this is a list of the average tour driving distance as of June 19, 2007;

Rank Name Rnds Stat

1 Bubba Watson 53 315.1

2 J.B. Holmes 44 308.7

3 John Daly 29 308.5

4 Robert Garrigus 51 307.8

5 Harrison Frazar 52 301.6

6 Anthony Kim 61 300.5

7 Brett Wetterich 52 300.1

8 Charles Howell III 59 299.9

9 Steve Marino 60 299.7

10 Charles Warren 55 298.6

11 Steve Allan 33 297.9

12 Robert Allenby 50 297.6

13 Mathias Gronberg 48 297.5

14 Bill Haas 47 297.3

15 Nick Watney 49 297.2

Thats only the top 15, Tiger is 25th at 295.3 and there is 6 players under 270! I just have a hard time believing that any average Joe golfer is averaging over 290 when only the top 53 pros are. Personally I average about 260 (Average!) but can hit the odd 280-290 but if I want it in the fairway the lower number is usually a better option.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think these averages contain all par 4's and 5's no matter what they hit. So this is an average of shots with drivers, 3woods, hybrids (Bubba Watson mainly hits his 14° Nickent hybrid off the tee) or long irons. It's just an average stat, so if you want to compare yourself with it, you'd have to take any shanked 4i off the tee into account. :bad:

Most people just look at their best drives and compare them with the tour averages but this is just comparing apples with oranges. And you're the orange!

OB

It's funny how things tend to be exaggerated. The classic fish story if you will. I'm not suggesting individuals on this website, but I do know golfers at the academy I work at who honestly think they hit their drives 300+. When they watch me practice, they even try to lie for me. "Wow Mike you hit that 325!". I will have to bring them back down to reality by informing them that at my very best it's 280-290!

what those guys are forgetting to tell you is that their 300 yard drive are some where in the trees

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I probably carry the ball 230, average tee shot is about 240 or so, and not always in the fairway. I'm used to it. Although, I've hit 3 300 yard drives before out of pure dumb luck. One was just a pure shot downwind that rolled a lot. The other hit a cart path on its initial bounce and took off another 90 yards after roll. Skycaddie said it went 345 after that one. The other one was also downwind on a nice high draw.

This game would be a lot easier 275-285 out from the teebox instead of 235-245 :/

I keep my stats on occasion and average around 250, but i only count when i hit driver. On the subject of long drives, i have this question. I recently pulled my drive on a 492 yd par 5 dogleg left. The ball missed all the trees, took two big bounces on the concrete cartpath, and came to rest one yard behind the 150 marker in the middle of the fairway. Because I cut the corner, does this count as a 341 drive or should you only count straight fairway drives.? If i can count it as 341 yds, its 27 yds longer than my previuos long drive, which also hit a cart path.

I keep my stats on occasion and average around 250, but i only count when i hit driver. On the subject of long drives, i have this question. I recently pulled my drive on a 492 yd par 5 dogleg left. The ball missed all the trees, took two big bounces on the concrete cartpath, and came to rest one yard behind the 150 marker in the middle of the fairway. Because I cut the corner, does this count as a 341 drive or should you only count straight fairway drives.? If i can count it as 341 yds, its 27 yds longer than my previuos long drive, which also hit a cart path.

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but no you would not count that as anything. You measure your drives "as the crow flies"--in a straight line from the tee box to the ball. This is best done with a GPS unit, a laser distance finder, or Google Earth.

Oh yeah, I am a 24 handicap for all you distance haters out there!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/style_images...e_types/gif.gif

during winter time I'm a 300yd hitter...

other than that 250-260 max with 106ss..

How come you hit it further in winter? For myself, the ball doesn't travel as far in the cold. As far as distance off the tee, back in April I was only hitting it 250-260, and in the junior tournaments I was playing in, guys would outdrive me by 20 yards. I hate getting beat in anything, so I made a promise that I would workout 4-5 times a week. It's been about 2 months now, and Ive gotten a lot stronger. I'm now hitting it 275 and still improving. I look up to Adam Scott and Tiger for how strong they are. Hope to be like them some day. Maybe a little straighter though, :)!

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but no you would not count that as anything. You measure your drives "as the crow flies"--in a straight line from the tee box to the ball. This is best done with a GPS unit, a laser distance finder, or Google Earth.

Oh yeah, I am a 24 handicap for all you distance haters out there!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/style_images...e_types/gif.gif

i hate to ask this, but if 320 is anywhere near normal for you, how can you be a 24 handicap? if i could shorten the course by that much, i could shoot sub 80 with a driver and a wedge at a lot of courses.

Mostly in the 280 to 290 range with the driver, but much better to get ball position for you next shot rather than going for the longest drive. So use a range of clubs of the tee.

Couple of my playing buddies hits them out there, but leave themselves a tricker second shot which normally leaves them in trouble.

Much better to get the course management correct rather than trying to go long all the time.

i hate to ask this, but if 320 is anywhere near normal for you, how can you be a 24 handicap? if i could shorten the course by that much, i could shoot sub 80 with a driver and a wedge at a lot of courses.

Well, several reasons. #1 I've only been playing for about 1 1/2 years, so my short game is still developing. My putting stroke is terrible, and I can easily 3 or 4 putt a green. I can chilidip short shots short of the green, or I can skull them back and forth over the green. #2 I would say that 320 is not normal, (I already posted that) but I try to use a variety of clubs off the tee. Mostly, I try to get to a point where I've got 135 yards in, which let's me use an easy 8, which is probably my most accurate club.

It probably doesn't hurt that I'm on the taller side, and have long arms. I threw the discus in high school, so I understand the "whip around your body" motion that generates speed pretty well. I never claimed to be a great player, just that I could bomb it :)

Sorry to jack the thread but yesterday at this course

http://www.silport.com.cn/shanghai/english/course/holes.htm

on the 7th hole of the West nine I hit 3 iron 260 in still, humid air with seven witnesses. The stream that flows accross the fairway is 270 from the tee we were playing and the ball was 8-10 yards short of it. Now, to me that was a big surprise. We checked for sprinkler heads and there were none that the ball (Pro V1) could have hit, nor were there any stones, kids, dogs, seagulls or anything else.

The strangest part for me is the fact that the fairways were soft and wet and we think we found the deep pitch mark only about 2 yards behind where the ball came to rest. The ball had a lot of earth on it which would imply it dropped and stopped quickly.

I can't think why the ball went so far. I had been playing it for 15 holes already and not had a flier.

Anyone else had this happen?

Milo.

I sure dont hit any 350 yarders. Im 18 and have been playing a bit over a year and am just starting to be able to control the driver. My 'stinger shot' averages about 220-230 in the fairway with tops at about 255. My normal shot is a strong(very strong) fade that tops at 275 an averages 240-250. My swing speed with the driver was 102 last time I launched, but I dont seem to get much separation from my 19* TM rescue and my driver.