2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NorCal hangout thread

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

played Haggin Oaks today from the 4 oaks. Shot a 79, having issues with my drives and not spending enough time calculating the putts. But I overall a great day!

Well anytime we 12 caps can throw a 79 on the scoreboard, it's a good day.

PS I wish you never gave me those Costco balls, now I want them but they are nowhere to be found :-)

Driver: Cobra F7
Irons: Srixon 565's Steelfibers I95
3 Wood: Callaway Octane Tour 15*
Wedges:Wishon HM's SteelFiber i110
Hybrid: Cobra 20* Putter: Ping Craz-E
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130

played Haggin Oaks today from the 4 oaks. Shot a 79, having issues with my drives and not spending enough time calculating the putts. But I overall a great day!

Well anytime we 12 caps can throw a 79 on the scoreboard, it's a good day.

PS I wish you never gave me those Costco balls, now I want them but they are nowhere to be found :-)

Lol, I heard Costco is selling them again? I could be wrong.

I live in Sunnyvale and I play mostly on weekends and will play in San Francisco (playing Presidio next month), HMB, Livermore, Gilroy, Sunnyvale, San Jose, Morgan Hill, etc. and I'm also a Duke's Club member so I'm down on the Monterey Peninsula a lot.

Unlike most of you guys I stink at golf but I have lots of fun, play fast and have golf etiquette. :wave:

Wente! how is it? any tips?

I know it's trite but keep it in the fairway. They have some of the most penal rough around imo. Normally I don't pay much attention but at this course I throttle back and keep it in the fairway. Depending on the tee's they have you going from distance shouldn't be a problem at all. It is a fun course but I feel like I'm constantly having to "dink" it around to score well. I guess if you are pretty accurate and used to super thick rough it should be no biggie. Some of the bunkering on holes is also excessive, and deep and to be avoided at all costs. Though pristine sugar sand so that is fun.

i guess my advice boils down to hit fairways and greens.......hmmm not amazing advice. Like most new courses playing conservative line/clubbing with an aggressive swing is the way to go.

If you are a wildman who treats fairways as mere formalities (like me) then it is a wakeup call.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

I will be playing hidden valley lake tomorrow afternoon at 2pm. $12 with a cart. I think it's the best deal I have ever found. Takes me an hour to get there, but it is worth it every once in a while.

Hidden Valley is a very unique course. The front nine and back nine are completely opposite. Last time I play there I tore up the front nine and stunk up the back nine. How did you do on Hole 15? The elevated par 4.

Driver: Cobra F7
Irons: Srixon 565's Steelfibers I95
3 Wood: Callaway Octane Tour 15*
Wedges:Wishon HM's SteelFiber i110
Hybrid: Cobra 20* Putter: Ping Craz-E
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130

I will be playing hidden valley lake tomorrow afternoon at 2pm. $12 with a cart. I think it's the best deal I have ever found. Takes me an hour to get there, but it is worth it every once in a while.

Hidden Valley is a very unique course. The front nine and back nine are completely opposite. Last time I play there I tore up the front nine and stunk up the back nine. How did you do on Hole 15? The elevated par 4.

Well I've only played it a few times. I started off by losing several balls on the first three holes because the wind. So I did the opposite - 49-39. I think 12 and 13 are just awesome holes.

On 15 I hit a hybrid almost to the houses but was able to find it, don't usually hit it that long. I think every other time I've played that hole I've lost my tee shot. And no, i don't feel compelled to go back to the tee on that one.

Wente! how is it? any tips?

I know it's trite but keep it in the fairway. They have some of the most penal rough around imo. Normally I don't pay much attention but at this course I throttle back and keep it in the fairway. Depending on the tee's they have you going from distance shouldn't be a problem at all. It is a fun course but I feel like I'm constantly having to "dink" it around to score well. I guess if you are pretty accurate and used to super thick rough it should be no biggie. Some of the bunkering on holes is also excessive, and deep and to be avoided at all costs. Though pristine sugar sand so that is fun.

i guess my advice boils down to hit fairways and greens.......hmmm not amazing advic

e. Like most new courses playing conservative line/clubbing with an aggressive swing is the way to go.

If you are a wildman who treats fairways as mere formalities (like me) then it is a wakeup call.

Stay out of the vineyards and the greens should be great as they aerated at the end of March and they're offering discounts because of the aeration until April 14th

Live in Fremont, work in San jose and am up for playing on weekend mornings (~7am :)) or Friday afternoons around South Bay.

golfpar112 @ I am playing in the Wente event...should be fun. Its a neat course in the sense you dont hit driver on every hole. I hit hybrid/long irons on 4-5 holes atleast (2, 6, 10, 16)...

Live in Fremont, work in San jose and am up for playing on weekend mornings (~7am :)) or Friday afternoons around South Bay.

golfpar112 @ I am playing in the Wente event...should be fun. Its a neat course in the sense you dont hit driver on every hole. I hit hybrid/long irons on 4-5 holes atleast (2, 6, 10, 16)...

Great i am excited. Thanks for the tips.

3 wood Nike covert stiff shaft
3 Adams A4 idea hybrids
4-PW Nike VR combo irons
52, 56, 60 Callway Mac daddy wedges
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #9

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Live in Cupertino, work in Foster City and get out to play on the weekends whenever I can.

Any suggestions for a solid outdoor practice facility in the South Bay? Grass range would be nice, but bunkers and a good putting green are the real selling points. Mariner's Point in Foster City has a solid practice area, and Relic Golf in San Mateo is great for LM/simulator time or an indoor round (beats playing in the pissing rain and they have cool tourneys) but haven't found anything great down by where I live. Thanks in advance!

When I lived down in San Jose and really wanted to get some good practice in I would go to coyote creek. All grass range and good bunkers and putting greens. For hitting balls prune ridge or San Jose muni were fine but nothing other than that.

Thanks for the reply! Got out to San Jose Muni last weekend to check out the range and was satisfied with facilities, but nothing to write home about. Have yet to play Coyote Creek. Will need to check out the course and practice range sometime soon.

Hey all. Live in Cupertino, work in Foster City and get out to play on the weekends whenever I can.

Any suggestions for a solid outdoor practice facility in the South Bay? Grass range would be nice, but bunkers and a good putting green are the real selling points. Mariner's Point in Foster City has a solid practice area, and Relic Golf in San Mateo is great for LM/simulator time or an indoor round (beats playing in the pissing rain and they have cool tourneys) but haven't found anything great down by where I live. Thanks in advance!

Good bunkers are hard to come by. Coyote and Cinnabar had good practice facilities but are far. Coyote is the best public practice facilities.

Shoreline Golf Links has decent practice facilities. They have a bunker and chipping/pitching green. As well as one gigantic practice putting green.

Moffett Field has good practice facilities as well. Good tricky putting green. Bunker, chipping/pitching green. Just drive slow when in Moffett Field, I saw three different cars that got pulled over there by Moffett Police when I drove in/out last time I was there.

Here is a little secret. Nobody really knows about this one. At Santa Clara Golf Course, there is a hidden green and bunker next to the 18th fairway and fire station. You can see it on google maps. To get there, you have to walk from the clubhouse down south side of 18th fairway about 300 yards. Just follow the fence on the course side of 18th. You can hit up to 40 yard shots and bunker shots. I haven't been there since last year but the sand was good at that time. Not sure how well it is maintained now. Santa Clara doesn't have a good putting green but it is good to chip on though.

Good bunkers are hard to come by. Coyote and Cinnabar had good practice facilities but are far. Coyote is the best public practice facilities. Here is a little secret. Nobody really knows about this one. At Santa Clara Golf Course, there is a hidden green and bunker next to the 18th fairway and fire station. You can see it on google maps. To get there, you have to walk from the clubhouse down south side of 18th fairway about 300 yards. Just follow the fence on the course side of 18th. You can hit up to 40 yard shots and bunker shots. I haven't been there since last year but the sand was good at that time. Not sure how well it is maintained now. Santa Clara doesn't have a good putting green but it is good to chip on though.

This is what I come to the forums for. Thanks, will check that out since Santa Clara is close by.

You could always try Pin High in Alviso just off of 237 as you can hit off the grass or mats, they have two bunkers a decent putting green. They also have 3 golf holes if you want to pay to play although I don't know what condition they're in anymore. I agree that Coyote has the best practice facility and we'll be teeing it up on Coyotes private course in May.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...