2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The 2016-2017 NBA basketball thread

MtlJeff

Klay scored 60 points in 3 quarters (29 minutes) while taking only 11 dribbles and making only 1 unassisted shot.

Is there anyone in the league that gets hotter than he does? Unbelievable.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even before the break up I said Westbrook needed to be the man on his own team for him to realize how good he could be.

I was told otherwise here.

It felt like he was giving in to Durant when he needed to be the alpha. The GS system has shown KD doesn't need to be the alpha to put up numbers. If those mindsets were there the last 2 years they could have knocked GS off.

I would never have told you that Westbrook couldn't put up amazing numbers being the alpha, he's done that whenever given the chance the past few years (and the numbers he's putting up this year have been amazing). But I did argue in the past that Westbrook should play more of a second fiddle to Durant. Granted, Westbrook is putting up once in a generation type numbers, but the offense is significantly worse when the ball's in Westbrook's hands versus Durant's. So I'd argue no to OKC knocking off GS if Westbrook was made the alpha; because if they couldn't knock them off before, then by playing worse as a team they would still not knock them off.

Klay scored 60 points in 3 quarters (29 minutes) while taking only 11 dribbles and making only 1 unassisted shot.

He's like Reggie Miller on his best day, except Klay has done it like 3-4 times now

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

He's like Reggie Miller on his best day, except Klay has done it like 3-4 times now

Reggie Miller, although not as a prolific scorer, was way more clutch in terms of game winning shots (to be fair Reggie Miller never had steph curry and Durant on his team)

Reggie Miller, although not as a prolific scorer, was way more clutch in terms of game winning shots (to be fair Reggie Miller never had steph curry and Durant on his team)

I think he was talking in terms of getting hot. I can't think of anyone that gets hotter than Klay right now.

Other guys that are fun to watch when they get it going:

JR Smith

Damian Lillard

Kyrie Irving can really get it going as well

yeah i didnt mean to imply Reggie was some has-been....his clutch theatrics were all time

But Klay gets nuclear hot. He's like 26-27 years old and has a 37pt quarter, a 52pt game and a 60pt game which he did in 29 minutes.

With his fast release and his insanity-level streaks....i mean, it's something to behold

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Though admittedly he's a homeless man's homeless man of Klay Thompson, i enjoy watching Terrence Ross of the Raptors get hot. He's got that same mindset where he's not the alpha of the team, but when he gets hot he puts it up every time he gets a look. He has a number of games with 5-6 threes

He also has a 50pt game, and i guarantee you of all the active players with a 50pt game, casual fans would never guess him

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just my opinion the offense was worse because Westbrook needed to worry about taking care of Durant.

Durant's play at GS now shows KD can be the option 2, still get 25-5-5-2 in almost any offense.

Like MTLJeff said Durant can be a wing, I guess much like Klay can get his 60 the way he did. Just mixing in more dunks and blocks.

The offense is worse now because there is no option 2 at all. Oladipo and Kanter?

they were 1 game away

interesting question is where do they go from here? They are doing well now, outperforming even, on pace for 52 wins.

But Russell has to average a triple double. He can't sustain this over multiple seasons. They do need a solid #2 option. Right now there's some solid players on the team but no real second scorer as you say. OKC is not really a free agent destination.

If they want to keep Westbrook they need to figure that out....and signing Blake Griffin probably isn't happening.

One interesting guy that pops up constantly for OKC is Rudy Gay. Not exactly a top 10 player, but a solid guy who can put up points

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

That is a really good question. I would think they need a scorer in the mold of Klay than Gay.

Aside from Ross, who fits that description?

I don't think Houston will let Eric Gordon go, Wes before his big drop off, or Chandler Parsons would've been good.

I don't know how well Klay would fit in OKC's offense. Klay is a player that thrives in a motion offense that passes the ball a lot. OKC has very little movement, and they simply don't pass the ball. Klay is skilled enough to provide an offensive upgrade for any offense, but his skills would largely be wasted in OKC's offense.

Just my opinion the offense was worse because Westbrook needed to worry about taking care of Durant.

Durant's play at GS now shows KD can be the option 2, still get 25-5-5-2 in almost any offense.

Like MTLJeff said Durant can be a wing, I guess much like Klay can get his 60 the way he did. Just mixing in more dunks and blocks.

The offense is worse now because there is no option 2 at all. Oladipo and Kanter?

they were 1 game away

In all truthfulness, KD is a way more efficient offensive player than Westbrook. I wouldn't say Westbrook isn't a fabulous offensive player, but KD is all time elite. If you want a better offense, it would only make sense to use the players who are better at it more often.

Yes not arguing with that.

In fact that is why I said KD can still get his numbers even if Westbrook played alpha ball then like he is doing now. KD is that great.

He used to get a ton of isos and pick and rolls in OKC because of the fact that your number1 guy "has to have the ball". Turns out he is so good, he doesn't.

Westbrook is spotting a lot guys for jumpers a lot now when he drives. That is why I think an efficient quick release guy is what they need.

Durant will likely end up with one of the most impressive shot charts of all time this year.

He's averaging 28ppg on 56% shooting as a wing. It's amazing

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Durant will likely end up with one of the most impressive shot charts of all time this year.

He's averaging 28ppg on 56% shooting as a wing. It's amazing

I can't really blame him for wanting to leave the situation in OKC to join Golden State. OKC was not a bad situation mind you, but he's now playing in basketball nirvana. GSW's game versus Indiana is a perfect example of why he wanted to play with them: Klay gets hot, and all his teammates are smart enough to try and keep force feeding him. I remember times watching KD in OKC where he would get hot, force a mismatch, and no one even looks to pass him the ball. That can be tough to deal with as a great and smart player.

Demar Derozan became the Raptors alltime leader in games played tonight. Happy to see a guy who stayed here when he was a free agent, and who is now our best player on probably the best team the franchise has had, now hold that distinction.

Crazy that a Cali guy would be so at home in Toronto!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Really bummed out about Craig Sager. He and Ernie Johnson were probably my 2 favorite NBA "analysts," if you will. I hope EJ is around for another 10-15 years!

Patrick Beverley giving the Rockets some defensive cred.

They are currently 18th in defense. Not good....but not an abomination either

19-7 right now

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I believe they're in the top 10 since he returned. Quite impressive considering how their offense is rolling along. 24 3's tonight!

I believe they're in the top 10 since he returned. Quite impressive considering how their offense is rolling along. 24 3's tonight!

I think Eric Gordon is 2nd in the NBA in 3's made. Plus they have Ryan Anderson

And their starters with Beverley have 3 capable defenders. I think they should be able to maintain this type of play in the regular season

If they win 50+ games Harden has a great shot at the MVP. I mean they are basically just going full blown Harden with the group of guys they have. It's fun to watch

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Demar Derozan became the Raptors alltime leader in games played tonight. Happy to see a guy who stayed here when he was a free agent, and who is now our best player on probably the best team the franchise has had, now hold that distinction.

Crazy that a Cali guy would be so at home in Toronto!

Yeah he's been excellent. Lowry has been on fire. I can't remember the last game he shot under .500 from the field and filling up the stat sheet. Just raining three's too.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Srixon ZX Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

The Wolves are really a puzzling team, they have the right pieces in place they just are awful at closing games. I mean tonight was like Wolves 101. They looked really good most of the game and then just blew it.

They do a lot of things well, they are 10th in the league in offense right now and it's pretty clear with Wiggins/Towns/Lavine they won't ever really have to worry about that end. That group is only going to get better as all 3 of them still have upward mobility on offense. Lavine is like a sleeping giant, he could be a dominant offensive player one day, at 21 with his athletic ability to be averaging 20pts on 47-37 splits as raw as he is is scary. People compared Wiggins to Tracy Mcgrady but maybe it's Lavine who is going to explode like that. Towns is going to be an MVP candidate....and Wiggins is their best perimeter defender most nights and is also 20+....If Wiggins is your 3rd best scorer when they are all 26-27yrs old they are going to be a dominant offense

Defensively they loaf through too many possessions. Some of these guys are better on paper than in real life. I don't think Dieng is that great. Even the announcers were saying he takes himself out of position too much, there were plays where smaller guys were scoring on him in the paint. Lavine is athletic but gets lost, their bench can't defend anyone though Dunn has potential

Wiggins looked good tonight on that end, he did a good job against Harden most of the night, he loafs a bit too but contests a lot of shots. But even Wiggins isn't on 100% of the time like a Kawhi Leonard. He lets up at times and needs to do a better job keeping it at full bore

I wonder if they will consider moving guys. To me i would want to focus on the core of Wiggins/Towns/Dunn/Lavine and try to surround them with defenders. Guys who will teach them to play with intensity on that end. I still think a great target for them would be Towns college teammate, Willie Cauley Stein

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I haven't watched much of Minnesota this season but, from what I've read, the general consensus with Wiggins seems to be that his 3rd season has been a bit underwhelming.

He's pretty good on the offensive side of the ball as far as scoring the ball, but he doesn't seem to contribute much more than that. His superb athleticism nets him plenty of buckets for sure! The disappointment with Wiggins seems to lie on the defensive end where, by all accounts, he has all the tools to be elite but, form whatever reason, just hasn't been. Jeff could probably speak more on this as I'm sure he's watched more of Minnesota than I have. This is just what little I've seen and read throughout the course of the season.

With the season that Jabari Parker is having with Milwaukee, I'm not sure he's not inching closer to closing the gap between him and Wiggins from that 2014 draft. He has been pretty good for Milwaukee this season, but he's also slightly underwhelming on the defensive end much like Wiggins.

I mean this is pretty impressive for all the knocks he got pre-draft for having "average" athleticism: https://streamable.com/wq8sv

The Wolves are really a puzzling team, they have the right pieces in place they just are awful at closing games. I mean tonight was like Wolves 101. They looked really good most of the game and then just blew it.

They do a lot of things well, they are 10th in the league in offense right now and it's pretty clear with Wiggins/Towns/Lavine they won't ever really have to worry about that end. That group is only going to get better as all 3 of them still have upward mobility on offense. Lavine is like a sleeping giant, he could be a dominant offensive player one day, at 21 with his athletic ability to be averaging 20pts on 47-37 splits as raw as he is is scary. People compared Wiggins to Tracy Mcgrady but maybe it's Lavine who is going to explode like that. Towns is going to be an MVP candidate....and Wiggins is their best perimeter defender most nights and is also 20+....If Wiggins is your 3rd best scorer when they are all 26-27yrs old they are going to be a dominant offense

Defensively they loaf through too many possessions. Some of these guys are better on paper than in real life. I don't think Dieng is that great. Even the announcers were saying he takes himself out of position too much, there were plays where smaller guys were scoring on him in the paint. Lavine is athletic but gets lost, their bench can't defend anyone though Dunn has potential

Wiggins looked good tonight on that end, he did a good job against Harden most of the night, he loafs a bit too but contests a lot of shots. But even Wiggins isn't on 100% of the time like a Kawhi Leonard. He lets up at times and needs to do a better job keeping it at full bore

I wonder if they will consider moving guys. To me i would want to focus on the core of Wiggins/Towns/Dunn/Lavine and try to surround them with defenders. Guys who will teach them to play with intensity on that end. I still think a great target for them would be Towns college teammate, Willie Cauley Stein

There's always a lot of chatter on NBA radio from analysts that they may have to get a true lead guard in there instead of LaVine. I think LaVine is great considering he's only 21 years old. He could be really scary when he hits his prime.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Srixon ZX Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

Wiggins didn't look great yesterday, he didn't just miss shots, he took bad shots. A lot of fadeaways and step backs, did not attack the rim. But who knows, he might have been tired or sore or whatever.

Your right though in that he "should" be an elite defender already but isn't right now. He definitely shows flashes. He contests shots with his long reach, he can stay in front of guys without losing position or lunging (he seems to do well on Harden). He made several nice plays yesterday. My issue with him is sometimes he gets screened for example and will just loaf behind the play. A guy like Kawhi when he is behind the ball he scrambles like a madman to recover and will block shots or get steals from behind. MKG for example acts like whoever is trying to screen him just killed his dog. Wiggins didn't show that intensity yesterday for example

Parker is playing well but his offensive outbursts were always expected, he's a very talented offensive player. Problem with Parker is he has neither the potential or ability to be a defender. Even Zach Lowe wrote a few weeks back that his ceiling on that end is average at best and right now he is flat out bad

I still like Wiggins a lot, he's only 21. The Wolves in general, we have to keep in perspective that their 3 best players are 20/21/21. They are losing a lot but you don't hear about these guys getting in fights or arguing, or being un-coachable. Wiggins i heard worked very hard in the offseason on his dribbling and 3pt shooting, and has made noticeable improvements there. He still should end up as a Paul George type player at worst

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The other thing with the Wolves is i still guarantee you every team other than the Warriors/Cavs trades places with them talent wise. I bet you the rest of the league wants them to start winning. Imagine the Wolves getting another top 3 pick and what they could do with that? Even if they decide the 2017 draft is fairly top heavy with guards (which it is) and they don't need another one, guys will trade for Malik Monk, Markelle Fultz

Would the Wizards take Minnesota's 2017 pick and Kris Dunn for an unhappy John Wall?

What about the pick straight up for a still-only 24 Harrison Barnes (who could play the 4 next to Towns and is a solid defender)

There's a lot of other guys they could target and get. A guy like Alex Len in Phoenix has potential too and is stuck in their logjam.

Thing is there is good stuff happening there but they are playing bad enough that their pick this year is becoming a real asset

Deschamps Crisp Antique