2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The 2016-2017 NBA basketball thread

MtlJeff

Mavs should blow up their team....

Toronto should offer them Siakam, Poetl and Ross for Harrison Barnes.

Barnes would be awesome on the Raptors

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamal Murray is showing signs of life....it was a little scary that he started the season so terribly. As any Canadian hoops fan was likely worried that he may be suffering early stage Anthony Bennett'itis.

The knock on Murray was always that he was unathletic. And it's clear he struggles to gain separation early in his career....nevertheless, i was a big proponent of him going earlier in the draft. I really hoped Minnesota would take him. And i still believe he will have a very long and successful NBA career....based on his fantastic shooting with a quick release, and his good ballhandling and finishing with both hands

Denver will run him off off-ball screens, and he has a quick release. He can handle the ball with both hands and do a little work with it, he has potential as a secondary screen and roller with backup units. And he can get hot, he had a few games in college with 7+ threes....and his last 3 games are 18,24,23pts

I said all of last year that he reminded me a bit of a pre-injury Eric Gordon, which trust me is more on a compliment then it sounds like. Another comparison would be a slightly better ballhandling JJ Redick

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Giannis really is amazing to watch, i've only seen 2 full Bucks games this year with some court surfing mixed in. But watching Bucks/Raptors tonight. He is probably the second most impressive athlete in the league behind Westbrook. He just gets everywhere effortlessly and seems to be moving at different speeds than other players...pretty much every time he wants to go to the middle of the floor he collapsed the defense. He's a smart but not flashy passer, and he can go right or left easily.

He just can't shoot at all. He doesn't look to shoot, they don't expect him to shoot. Guys go underneath him all game. He's so athletic it doesn't matter a ton but it will be hard for him to be an elite scorer until he adds that. If he could shoot 36% from 3 he'd average 28-30 a game without really doing anything different

But for a young guy he is very unselfish, he looks to pass as much as shoot. For all the hype about Ben Simmons in college....Giannis is in the NBA what Simmons was in College. He and Parker compliment each other well....the rest of the team is a mess though

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Couple of pages back we talked about some of the crazy stats we might see this year based on some of the talent we have in the league in situations where their usage rate will be high...

Through 15-20 games (not a small sample size)

-Westbrook averaging 31-11-10

-James Harden 29-12-7

-Anthony Davis 32-11

Guys like Demar Derozan averaging 30ppg on 49% shooting, or Lillard going for 28-5-5 on 46-37-90 splits almost seem like ho-hum seasons

One of the scariest stats i haven't even mentioned is Kevin Durant is 27-8-5 on 57-45-84 shooting splits (!!!!!)

This could be one of the best seasons ever for individual stats, at least when factoring in the modern era

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Couple of pages back we talked about some of the crazy stats we might see this year based on some of the talent we have in the league in situations where their usage rate will be high...

-James Harden 29-12-7

-Anthony Davis 32-11

Guys like Demar Derozan averaging 30ppg on 49% shooting, or Lillard going for 28-5-5 on 46-37-90 splits almost seem like ho-hum seasons

One of the scariest stats i haven't even mentioned is Kevin Durant is 27-8-5 on 57-45-84 shooting splits (!!!!!)

This could be one of the best seasons ever for individual stats, at least when factoring in the modern era

How about the Lakers bench averaging 52 points and they have everyone's favorite player in Nance Jr, kid can ball.

Boogie is averaging 29-10 while shooting 39% from 3 on 4+ attempts per game. That's mind boggling for someone who's 6'11 270.

Embiid is averaging 18-8 in 23 mins per game and shooting 50% from 3 on 2.5 attempts per game. Unreal.

Porzingis is putting up Dirk-like numbers so far this season. 21-7 while shooting 49% from the field (40% from 3).

If you're a big coming into the league today, you better be a hell of a defender or be able to shoot!

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

-James Harden 29-12-7

-Anthony Davis 32-11

How about the Lakers bench averaging 52 points and they have everyone's favorite player in Nance Jr, kid can ball.

Big fan of Nance Jr. His dad was one of my hero's growing up along with Mark Price, Brad Daugherty and the rest of that old school Cavs squad that MJ would always torch.

Titleist TSR2 10* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2 18* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

-James Harden 29-12-7

-Anthony Davis 32-11

When you mention some of those stat lines: Westbrook, Harden, and Durant - it just makes me sad for what should have been in OKC. Maybe those players just couldn't make it happen, but when I think of what could have been.

The OKC thing , it's crazy to think about in retrospect but having seen what has happened....maybe it just wasn't meant to be. As we've talked about, it's possible Russell and KD weren't really all that close, and the fact that James Harden turned down 4yrs 55m in order to leave for 4yrs 60M...makes me wonder how happy he was in Oklahoma aswell

Who knows what happened. They all seem very likable and happy where they are. Durant is a willing passer and ball sharer in GS, he doesn't seem to have a ton of ego. Harden re-signed early in Houston and talked of loyalty, so it's not like he's all about the $$$. And Westbrook seems to be beloved by his current teammates in OKC....

All 3 of them have a lot going for them, but for whatever reason, maybe it just wasn't a fit. As a big fan of the Thunder, i'm still enjoying watching these guys do what they do.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

-James Harden 29-12-7

-Anthony Davis 32-11

I gotta be honest i still haven't watched them much. They are always on late here, and i'm usually fighting sleep at those hours...and for whatever reason every time i have a choice, their matchup just isn't always first on the list. I do want to make a point to watch them, but right now they are probably the team in the league i have seen the least to be honest

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

LBJ is still far and away the best player in the league, if I had to bet today I would take Cleveland.

I was talking with someone today, and i've gotta credit you because in every year's thread you always temper my hyperbole about others with your "Ummm, Lebron is still the f'in greatest" talk

And at the end of the day you are right and Lebron proved it to everyone last year in the finals. When the smoke cleared Kyrie won his matchup with Steph and Lebron would win a matchup vs Godzilla, Mothra, Rhodan or whoever else you throw against him.

As great as Golden State is (and they are slaughtering people). Lebron will match up with KD, Kyrie will play against Steph with the chip on his shoulder, and Cleveland has the size and ability to bully GS a bit up front....will they win? Maybe not....but we owe them as the champs to say they are the man right now

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Man Jeff I really wish eastern conference player of the week Kevin Love was a fit here in Cleveland. ;)

I've been pretty outspoken on that one obviously. Cleveland is great, obviously Lebron is the best player in the world right now, and Kyrie emerged as maybe a top 6-8 guy in the playoffs last year. I would say right now that they are the 2 best players in the Eastern conference

I've always said that i like Kevin Love in the right situation. What will be key this year when they play GS in the finals is how long Love can stay on the floor. He managed last year to play only 20-25 minutes in the last 4-5 games, mostly because Jefferson did a better job chasing shooters around, and in the times he played he got to match up with Harrison Barnes who shot the ball terribly

This year my guess is Cleveland will try to match him up on Livingston or Iguodala, or Zaza depending on lineup. Essentially whoever is the 5th best offensive player. Daring Golden State to isolate them which they won't do, but they will use that player as a screener. How Love defends that will be key to whether he can stay on the floor.

If Love can stay on the floor against Golden State than he is a fit. If he can't then he isn't, and i still say a package of say Derrick Favors and a wing guy for example, would be a better fit for Cleveland (assuming Utah would even do that)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Love is a different player this year. He's showing confidence in his shot we haven't seen since hes been here. His willingness to take (and make) 3's just wasnt really there last year and while I agree defense isn't always great but I think they are really happy with both the inside/outside they can run for him and the spacing he provides to LeBron and Kyrie.

This offense is crazy right now. They are unstoppable at times. And I think a 6'11" guy (or whatever) who gets 12 boards, scores 22, can post up or shoot the 3 at 40%+ fits on any team despite his occasional defensive lapses.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Wolves can't finish games....didn't look it up but remember reading a few days back that they are a top 5 differential team in the first half, and then dead-last in the second half. They'll be fine i think. There is too much talent and evidence that they can play well for sustained periods, there's just that next gear they need to learn how to find, or at least find a few plays that they can go to when they really need a bucket.

The Jazz look like one of those sneaky good teams that might be the 5-6th best team in the NBA by the end of the year, or even right now, and we just don't realize it yet. They have a +5 differential despite being 11-9, and they have had Hayward , Favors and George Hill each miss 6-9 games, and those are 3 very good players obviously. Hill in particular is averaging 20ppg and playing all-NBA defense.

The Jazz top 6 of Hill/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert and Trey Lyles by the end of the year if they get healthy, should be the #4 seed in the West and arguably rival Toronto for the #5 spot overall in the league. They currently are the #8 offense and #3 defense while seeing 3 of their 4 best players miss significant time

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Stuff like this is why i am starting to dislike Draymond more as mentioned....He really does have some valid points. Especially the talk about Harden in which he is 100% correct, if you want to talk about unnatural acts, yes Harden abuses this a great deal....Harden will grab a defender and then throw up a shot and act like he is the one fouled. There was a play in the playoffs last year where he LITERALLY grabbed a defenders hand, put it in front of his body and then raised his arm into it to draw a shooting foul call.

Westbrook is also a major offender, he spreads his legs even more than Green on shots. If he is shooting a 3-pter and you are within 3 feet of him, he is going to kick you. And as Zach Lowe mentioned last week, this probably causes him to miss more shots then he normally would even though he rarely gets the call. It probably hurts his game overall

But Draymond, enough with the "go take a kinesiology class" nonsense and act like that's just how your body moves. You want to single out Westbrook and Harden i'm all for it....but don't pretend you aren't also doing it

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18195705/draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-criticizes-nba-rule-interpreting-unnatural-act

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Stuff like this is why i am starting to dislike Draymond more as mentioned....He really does have some valid points. Especially the talk about Harden in which he is 100% correct, if you want to talk about unnatural acts, yes Harden abuses this a great deal....Harden will grab a defender and then throw up a shot and act like he is the one fouled. There was a play in the playoffs last year where he LITERALLY grabbed a defenders hand, put it in front of his body and then raised his arm into it to draw a shooting foul call.

Westbrook is also a major offender, he spreads his legs even more than Green on shots. If he is shooting a 3-pter and you are within 3 feet of him, he is going to kick you. And as Zach Lowe mentioned last week, this probably causes him to miss more shots then he normally would even though he rarely gets the call. It probably hurts his game overall

But Draymond, enough with the "go take a kinesiology class" nonsense and act like that's just how your body moves. You want to single out Westbrook and Harden i'm all for it....but don't pretend you aren't also doing it

http://www.espn.com/...g-unnatural-act

Whatever happened to the NBA calling out players and fining them for flopping????

The NBA has done nothing to curtail the terrible act of flopping. And to be honest, if you have not refined your flopping skill as an NBA player, you're not performing as well as you could. Flopping is certainly one of the most important skills in the game of basketball, as free throws is the fourth most important factor to winning basketball games according the most analytics.

I think the NBA should definitely look to cut down on all that stuff. Flopping, offensive call hunting

Non basketball plays on both sides.

There was an article on espn today about DeRozan and harden actually meeting and talking about tricks to draw fouls. I mean stuff like that I don't like.

But I agree on flopping too, nothing like seeing a 250lb guy look like he's been shot after a point guard gently runs into him

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Klay is going NBA Live on the Pacers.

Titleist TSR2 10* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2 18* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

When your 3rd best offensive player scores 60pts in 29 minutes and it doesn't feel like it's THAT surprising he could pull that off... You may be the best offense ever.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's pretty amazing that so far there really hasn't been any sacrifices needed by these guys offensively.... They have just literally scored more as a team to accommodate everyone's numbers. Pretty amazing

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Even before the break up I said Westbrook needed to be the man on his own team for him to realize how good he could be.

I was told otherwise here.

It felt like he was giving in to Durant when he needed to be the alpha. The GS system has shown KD doesn't need to be the alpha to put up numbers. If those mindsets were there the last 2 years they could have knocked GS off.

That's an interesting thought. I don't know that I said that though I definitely argued many times they could play and win together on the same team

A lot of people wrote last year that they thought KD might be put off by Russell's growing usage rate and emerging star status, as well as OKC using Durant more and more on the wing while running pick and rolls with Westbrook. It certainly doesn't seem that was the case since kd went to golden state to play with steph where I believe he is shooting less

But if your position is that OKC could have stood to do that even more, it's an interesting argument. Maybe it's right, KD is great on the wing and Russ is a great pick and roll player

Deschamps Crisp Antique