2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What's that one area of your game that is giving you fits right now?

Keeping from letting my hands flip on my irons leading to poor approach shots. Thank God I can chip but it's not exactly fun having to chip and 1 putt every hole for par. For some unknown reason I don't do it on my driver but the second I get an approach shot my hands get retarded. I'm about to buy that glove that keeps your lead hand from flipping.

That's about the only thing from keeping me from scoring really well (putting would be next though). I generally shoot in the high 70's to 81-82 ish.

Ye I flip my hands on irons, I hate it because the odd time I get it right I have a very good chance for birdie, generally about 7 iron or less, can't stand it, because my game is the best its ever been,

On a side note, I won in my first match representing my club ever today!

;)

Brian Manzella has a great teaching video called " confessions of a former flipper"...straighten you right out. Check out his website. I think the download cost $10 or something. Its definitely worth the cost of a couple of Anchor Steams at the pub! He's a TGM guy and a great teacher.

The bad part of my game has always been course management.. my swing and short game problems come and go like the tide....its always something. I had a playing lesson recently from our head pro. He rode along with my usual Thursday group, and critqued my course management. Quite an eye opener. More poor decisions and setups than I would have imagined. So I'm working a lot harder on course management skills and the game between the ears. A minor thing he mentioned actually improved my mental state more than anything. Dont' talk so much!!!!....just shut up and play your game. It has had a very calming effect on a long day of grinding it out. I'm learning how to tune out all the background noise and clutter.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has to be consistency in all three major parts of the game: shots off tee, short game, putting. I will usually play well (relative to my handicap) in two of the three areas, but I cannot seem to get to the trifecta. It isn't a matter of a few three putts or bad chipping or slicing a couple drives. I'm talking about stinking it up where I will four putt, chilly dip half my chips, or miss every fairway; yet the other two parts are sound. No rhyme or reason to what area or when or why this happens. I am currently a 19-20 handicap but I almost always get called by friends to play scrambles because they know I am pretty good in 2/3's of the entire round. ;) I imagine the solution is more (better) practice. Isn't it always?

Played today, and the same course I shot an 86 last Friday, I shot a 90. My driving was as bad as ever, and it even affected my 3W. I basically teed up with a 5W for all the par-4's and 5's from #4 on. It bugs the crap out of me, because my ballstriking is crisp, I'm compressing the ball nicely and taking a nice divot. My 5-iron is carrying 175+. And I had 30 putts in this round, which is ok. The problem is, I'm always taking my 1st putt for par, not for birdie.

The good news is, my TaylorMade r7 Draw 5W is a great club, I hit it well off the tee and can carry it about 190 off the deck. I didn't like the r7 Draw driver though.

There was a sign at the club offering 30 minute lesson for $30. I might just take a lesson, otherwise it's time to buy a square driver. *shudder* :russian_roulette:

Keeping from letting my hands flip on my irons leading to poor approach shots. Thank God I can chip but it's not exactly fun having to chip and 1 putt every hole for par. For some unknown reason I don't do it on my driver but the second I get an approach shot my hands get retarded. I'm about to buy that glove that keeps your lead hand from flipping.

That's about the only thing from keeping me from scoring really well (putting would be next though). I generally shoot in the high 70's to 81-82 ish.

Ye I flip my hands on irons, I hate it because the odd time I get it right I have a very good chance for birdie, generally about 7 iron or less, can't stand it, because my game is the best its ever been,

On a side note, I won in my first match representing my club ever today!

:russian_roulette:

WOOT...GRATS on your match win!!!!

I am such a dork. Here I am looking for a new driver, going to waste $80 on a fairly beat-up R5 Draw, when it was, of course, the Indian not the arrow.

I took a look on GD.com and Golf.com last night, and one of the slice articles dealt with proper fundamentals, specifially ball position and proximity to the ball. Now, I know when my iron play is off, it's completely an issue with ball position, or standing too far from the ball. I was so concerned with good fundamentals with my irons, the part of the game I was struggling with, that I let my good Driver fundamentals slip.

Long story short, I stood much closer to the ball, teed it up in line with my left heel, and let 'er rip. BOOM! Slice gone, ball goes far and straight, sometimes a slight fade. Which I can live with! Wow, I really feel so much better, and I really do think my MacTec is the driver for me right now. I'm sorry I ever thought about cheating on her! :russian_roulette:

• 1 month later...

short game, short game, and short game. I used to be a very good chipper of the ball, but that just came and went too darn fast... I don't think I had one up and down yesterday and putted terribly with my belly putter... two 3 putts in a row... needless to say, I swapped it out with my TPA for the back nine and putted pretty well with it. my bunker shots are either brilliant or garbage and chipping from the rough is.... whew! lets just say horrible and leave it at that...

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

As with most, putting. I'll have my bad days of ballstriking, but it always comes back to me. Putting is off way more than its on. Had 35 putts the other day to shoot 79 in a tournament, I three putted on one hole after missing a 5 foot birdie putt.

Happened to me yesterday. After that I just didnt care anymore and was mentally out of it. (That was the 7th hole.) haha

Which leads me to the to my main problem, my mental game. I know I can hit ok, but after a few "bad" shots I just lose it in my head. I start my rounds off well and then if I dont hit one ok, I have trouble getting back to the feeling I had when the round started.

I just can't seem to put it all together at the same time lately ... early in the season my ballstriking was as good as it has ever been, I was hitting a ton of GIR and the putter was letting me down. Now that I've made some short game improvements, I have had too many rounds where I have no idea where the ball is going with the driver or irons.

I think it's mostly mental.

Driver! ;) I can't hit driver for crap. My irons are getting better and my short game is pretty decent. I finally got sick of slicing my driver on Saturday and said "screw it!". I teed off with my hybrid instead. Great shot. Landed straight ahead in the fairway. Only cut 4 strokes from my previous game, but 4 strokes is 4 strokes. I think I'm going to shelve the driver (from the course anyway) until my next lesson and see if I can get my pro to help me out with it.

Distance. I'm starting to hit the ball fairly straight and with good trajectory, but it's always quite short. What's odd is that the distances don't correspond with my last trip to the range. They're a bit more consistent now, but about 25% shorter. My short game is the only thing holding the round together.

Chipping is killing me. I played at Haymaker in Steamboat Springs, CO last week. I hit a monster drive on a dogleg 4 -- a 270y carry over a marsh that rolled to around 300y, stopping five feet in front of a greenside bunker. I chipped the ball into that bunker, then blasted over the green, then stubbed one chip coming back, hit the next one too far and two-putted. A triple bogey after leaving my tee shot at greenside. I had a drive on a 406y hole that left me with a 75y lob wedge to the pin (tight in the front left). The shot was dead-on the pin, but the wind blew it and it landed 2' off the green, 10' to the hole. I blew the chip, and two-putted for bogey.

It's enough to make me want to quit the game sometimes. I gave up at least a dozen shots due to lousy chips and short pitches.

1) My head. I'm easily distracted and frustrated by a few bad shots.

2) Irons. I lost all ability to hit my 3 to 7 iron well. It's coming back now, though - 37 shots on the back 9 yesterday. The front 9 was a bit average and I had 48, including one ball over the fence and one ball that hit the pin and bounced sideways in to a ravine.

3) Minor areas are sand shots, and short game consistency. I'm normally pretty good but lose around 5 shots a game to bad shots or bad decisions with my chipping.

I have no problems with my driver or fairway woods, and my putting has been pretty good lately. As soon as I'm able to hit my irons consistently again... look out!

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

Anyone out there have ONE aspect of their game that they're struggling with right now?

Mine's really simple. I shank 1 out of 4 times from 9i down to my 60d. And that includes chipping around the green.

Bet you have not seen anyone chip around half of a green. I have cause I did!

I was playing off 13 before this happened. Have not broken 95 in two months. Golf is so much fun I might just quit.