nike VS. other equipment

foremanjay

I played in july 4th tourney, and the pro that played in my group said that was a distinct difference in nike clubs versus everyone els. he meant that nike clubs,although a little better, arent up to par with titleist, mizuno, taylormade etc.. his reasoning was that nike is just making clubs to make them, while everyone else has been doing it for years. what do you guys think?i was under the assumption that all retail etc clubs are the same?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would have to disagree with that broad of a statement. this is a personal opinion, so there will not be a conclusive answer, but nike is pouring mulit millions into their golf products...and with technology changing so fast, it doesnt really matter what you did 20 years ago, as long as you are "up to date" on the newest and best ideas that are impacting the equipment, i dont see why it matters how long they have been in the game.

i do think they had a big learning curve a few years back, but to me...they are "caught up" in general

I agree that it is opinion. My opinion is that their drivers and FW's have come along to the point they can compete with anyones. Irons are still a bit lacking but at the price they are good, no worse than what Cleveland has been putting out. lol.

My buddy has a set of the Nike Blades and those are really nice. I'd like to see a forged player's CB in there line that looks half as sexy as those.

I don't care for the looks of thier wedges and that "unitized" putter looks to be a fairly large flop. Jumping into the $250-$300 putter arena is not easy though.

I played in july 4th tourney, and the pro that played in my group said that was a distinct difference in nike clubs versus everyone els. he meant that nike clubs,although a little better, arent up to par with titleist, mizuno, taylormade etc.. his reasoning was that nike is just making clubs to make them, while everyone else has been doing it for years. what do you guys think?i was under the assumption that all retail etc clubs are the same?

Sounds like the pro has other brands in his shop to move.... ;)

Lets face it, "traditionalists" will never really get over Nike's entrance to the market. They will allways think Tigers just a marketing machine and only nieve wannabees buy there clubs because there "Nike". People laughed at me when i changed my bag set up to Nike, "all the gear and no idea" was the thoughts of friends and colleuges of my club where i work. That all changed when two of them bought Nike Drivers and woods after trying mine and my boss stocking Nike at our club!

I think the old saying - Never judge a book by its cover - springs to mind!

All of this, including what the pro said, is just opinion and preference. I only have 1 nike club in my bag and have never hit their irons, but I have always assumed that they were pretty good. This is based on the fact that at most times, every iron line that they make is being played by one of their pros. Rory Sabbatini plays their ignite irons, which are their least expensive irons.

Sounds like the pro has other brands in his shop to move.... ;)

BINGO!

But honestly, I love Titleist equipment, as seen in my sig, but I also play my Nike forged blades ALOT. They are as good a blade as any I've ever hit, which is about everything you can think of. The manager of my home course's pro shop has some kind of grudge against Nike, mainly because their golf heritage isn't as old as the other major brands. Remember though, the swoosh is good enough for the world's #1. :friends:

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

i would have to disagree with that broad of a statement. this is a personal opinion, so there will not be a conclusive answer, but nike is pouring mulit millions into their golf products...and with technology changing so fast, it doesnt really matter what you did 20 years ago, as long as you are "up to date" on the newest and best ideas that are impacting the equipment, i dont see why it matters how long they have been in the game.

i do think they had a big learning curve a few years back, but to me...they are "caught up" in general

I agree. I've played Nike clubs in the past and have found their products to be just as good if not better than some competitors.

Nike drivers are on point with anything and everything on the market. I thought the sasquatch was the best driver on the market last year in terms of value and forgiveness. I played the Nike Procombos before and those were excellent irons, looked pretty too. Nike has almost caught up in the market except in the putter department. And if you talk about there golf wear, I don't think there is a higher quality stuff then there TW line and Dri Fit line.

I agree that it is opinion. My opinion is that their drivers and FW's have come along to the point they can compete with anyones. Irons are still a bit lacking but at the price they are good, no worse than what Cleveland has been putting out. lol.

My buddy has a set of the Nike Blades and those are really nice. I'd like to see a forged player's CB in there line that looks half as sexy as those.

I don't care for the looks of thier wedges and that "unitized" putter looks to be a fairly large flop. Jumping into the $250-$300 putter arena is not easy though.

100%

I personally think Nike's SQ2 fairway woods are awesome...I keep going back to the Nike One Platinum...And their Sasquatch was the longest hitting combo I have ever had until I hit the FT5. I think there are a lot of Nike Haters out there...which is sad...Try the product. :russian_roulette:

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

I have never played a Nike club and probably never will. I just don't like the company - won't even buy their shoes.

HOWEVER - they went out and hired one of the equipment industry's top dogs when they landed Tom Stites. I'm sure their equipment is great - I remember the 1st set of wedges they came out with and the look and grinds on them were beautiful.

I have never played a Nike club and probably never will. I just don't like the company - won't even buy their shoes.

HOWEVER - they went out and hired one of the equipment industry's top dogs when they landed Tom Stites. I'm sure their equipment is great - I remember the 1st set of wedges they came out with and the look and grinds on them were beautiful.

i agree. in addition to stites, i am sure the other persons Nike hired had experience with other manufacturers as well. they didn't start manufacturing golf clubs with a staff comprised of college graduates.

I think people dislike Nike because they bought themselves into the game (Tiger Woods) rather than built a repuation on a solid line of clubs. Nike has yet to come out with a club (in my opinion) that has been truely revolutionary. Cleveland revolutionized the wedge market...TM did it with woods...Titleist with irons....what's Nike's claim to fame (besides TW).

These are just my opinions, however confused they may be :russian_roulette:

well obviously your "pro" has never attemted to hit a nike club.... i sell clubs at a golf shop (roger dunns) and out of all the new clubs that came out this year (titleist, callaway, taylormade, cobra, nickent, adams ect), ive gone from playing all titleist to practally playing all nike... that says alot... their sumo driver with the epic shaft in it is a freaking bomb, their fw beat out all others, irons were the best new players cav, and wedges perform better for me then all the rest. i know that my experience might not have much weight behind it, but i know my clubs and play to a 4.2 handicap.

I'd like to see a forged player's CB in there line that looks half as sexy as those.

have you checked out the new cci forged irons? the mediallion on the back isnt all that appealing, but they are sooooo smooth, like butter :russian_roulette:

Callaway

Taylor

Titleist

Ping

Nike

Cleveland

I consider these 6 OEM's the big boys of golf. No question there are very good companies that make excellent equipment not on this list. But IMO anything made by these 6 is outstanding, just need to get fitted. Differences are negligible for their top of the line stuff. The pro who said that is a turd. Just clearly an anti-Nike guy for whatever reason. His statement is absurd. It's like me not playing Titleist and then saying Titleist is lousy, drivers & irons suck, Vokey wedges are junk. It's just sounds idiotic to a reasonable golf guy.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

i didnt care for nike until i tried it. sumo is in the bag and for me the longest and straightest driver ive ever owned. i've actually got confidence in the driver now. i know when i step up to the tee im gonna bomb it and have a shot at the green. last time i played i even hit one 290 verified by gps. your doing yourself a diservice if you form an opinion without trying thier product.