Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

With all this talk of memberships....how often do you need to be able to play in order to make it worth it? As someone who only plays on weekends, I could never justify it....

I honestly have never kept track of what I spend on greens fees over the course of a season, but I imagine it is $1500 or less. The majority of my rounds are under $40 and probably only handful are over $60. And to be perfectly honest, who wants to pay $5000+ to play the same damn course all the time? Even if I had all the time and money in the world I don't think I would want to do that. I grew up in a small town that only had one 18 hole course in a 100 mile radius and I've probably played it 500+ times. I still love that course to this day, but I'll always take variety if given the option.

That is the thing I miss the most about the FRGC, was playing different courses for each event.

Pretty easy for me. I pay $379/mo for unlimited with cart. At $60 (which my course is $75 on weekend mornings plus balls) with my wife playing with me that's just over 3 rounds of golf. Since I play at least 36 a weekend it's a lot cheaper than when I was just Golfnow-ing it four years ago, even when I only played weekends.

Plus now I can show up and play 3 holes if I want to, or spend 2 hours on the range. Maybe I'll go use our indoor facility in the winter. How about a private range, putting green and chipping green? Hell, I'm actually able to play weekend mornings now because I don't feel like I'm getting fleeced.

Sure it's one golf course but I know one thing.... I don't hit it where I'm aiming all the time so it's hard to get bored. Then when you add in cheap reciprocals it's even better.

The one thing at least at my club that was a big surprise was just how cool all the members are. It's one of those things you can't know unless you're signed up. My wife and I have developed some lasting friendships that I've found to be very surprising.

Speaking of, I'm pumped for our yearly couples glow golf tomorrow. It's the most fun s***-show of the year!

Joel, do you ever play the TKO scramble on labor day Sunday? I've come up to play that the last couple years and it has been really fun. Lots of good players for a four man scramble.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no place to talk, because I couldn't afford a membership anyway regardless, but the lack of diversity it something I'd really struggle with. So far, in 2017 alone, I've played 45 rounds of golf. Out of those 45 rounds, I've played 25 courses. I love variety. I love different layouts. I love exploring new courses.

There's fun in both parts. I love really dissecting a course over and over and then also seeing how your game holds up when you're not exactly sure what's going on.

With all this talk of memberships....how often do you need to be able to play in order to make it worth it? As someone who only plays on weekends, I could never justify it....

I honestly have never kept track of what I spend on greens fees over the course of a season, but I imagine it is $1500 or less. The majority of my rounds are under $40 and probably only handful are over $60. And to be perfectly honest, who wants to pay $5000+ to play the same damn course all the time? Even if I had all the time and money in the world I don't think I would want to do that. I grew up in a small town that only had one 18 hole course in a 100 mile radius and I've probably played it 500+ times. I still love that course to this day, but I'll always take variety if given the option.

That is the thing I miss the most about the FRGC, was playing different courses for each event.

Pretty easy for me. I pay $379/mo for unlimited with cart. At $60 (which my course is $75 on weekend mornings plus balls) with my wife playing with me that's just over 3 rounds of golf. Since I play at least 36 a weekend it's a lot cheaper than when I was just Golfnow-ing it four years ago, even when I only played weekends.

Plus now I can show up and play 3 holes if I want to, or spend 2 hours on the range. Maybe I'll go use our indoor facility in the winter. How about a private range, putting green and chipping green? Hell, I'm actually able to play weekend mornings now because I don't feel like I'm getting fleeced.

Sure it's one golf course but I know one thing.... I don't hit it where I'm aiming all the time so it's hard to get bored. Then when you add in cheap reciprocals it's even better.

The one thing at least at my club that was a big surprise was just how cool all the members are. It's one of those things you can't know unless you're signed up. My wife and I have developed some lasting friendships that I've found to be very surprising.

Speaking of, I'm pumped for our yearly couples glow golf tomorrow. It's the most fun s***-show of the year!

I agree about going out to just play 3 or 4 holes.....I can pound balls and hit pitches and chips until I can not lift my arms, but I do my best practice on the course.

As for meeting people, I couldn't agree more. While we don't have memberships, I have met a lot of fun people in both men's league as well as couples league. I just feel sorry for the people who have met me. :haha:

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

I have no place to talk, because I couldn't afford a membership anyway regardless, but the lack of diversity it something I'd really struggle with. So far, in 2017 alone, I've played 45 rounds of golf. Out of those 45 rounds, I've played 25 courses. I love variety. I love different layouts. I love exploring new courses.

There's fun in both parts. I love really dissecting a course over and over and then also seeing how your game holds up when you're not exactly sure what's going on.

That's very true. That's what I did when my family was a member at a club in Illinois. High school team's course, stayed members into college. I'd play 18 holes in the morning, swim for an hour to cool down, and play another 18 in the afternoon. Probably played 7-8 rounds a week for a few years. Some nights I lay in bed and do a course flyover in my mind, thinking about how I could play the course now that I'm significantly better and slightly longer than I used to be.

But then again, there was a very few options for golf in my town. 4 muni courses that were hot garbage. 1 upscale course that charged $100 a round. That was all we had for about an hour drive all around. Out here, there's SO many good courses all within an hour of Denver.

I'm very jealous of how many rounds some of you guys get out for... I'm good for about 25 a year, maybe 30. I probably play 2/3 of those as a single just grabbing an open slot wherever I can get on and pair up with a group. I tend to bounce around to a variety of courses. At 25 rounds a year, I'll never cost justify a membership. Part of the allure of joining someplace, is I like the idea of having a "home" course where I can get to know well, establish a valid index and see how that would impact my game. Also, I'm ok with paying for access; booking early times, etc.

I agree with the post above by Krush, about there being a big gap in clubs available around here. Just looking at the private club guide in CO avid golfer every year, and I choke over how high the initiation fees are all over. My wife and I are DINKs and make a comfortable living, but having 30k, 50k+ to plop down on a golf membership is just a lifestyle I can't comprehend. ClubCorp is really the only game in town that fits anywhere close to what I'd want to commit to golf on the south side... but hearing that it's crowded and tough to get a time on weekends makes it not very desirable at all. The annual membership at GVR is the best deal around, and it's one of my favorite courses in Denver. I just wish it wasn't so far away. There's no way I'm heading up there after work on a weekday from Parker...so it'd be a weekend only thing.

How about we all band together and mount an insurgency, and take over Colorado Golf Club? We'd only need to take over one of those giant houses for all of us... it'd be the COWrx compound. Problem solved. :-)

I play most of my rounds at the Links which by WRX standards is "not a real course" being a par 62 and all. But I honestly get bit of a member vibe there. The staff all know who I am, I've played in a couple pro-am events with with pros there. I almost always run into someone I know when I just go to hit balls or putt. The best part is that I only pay for what I use. Now if I had more time I would prefer unlimited golf obviously, but they do punch cards there so I do get some free rounds each season.

Also the greens are amazing and it's an easy walk for my fat arse.

Totally last minute: the wife just informed me that she has plans for tomorrow evening, so I just took a look at tee times. Just booked The Ridge at Castle Pines at 4pm tomorrow for $49. There's a couple spots left at that tee time if anyone wants to snag it and join. We've had some sketchy afternoon weather lately, but I checked the forecast and looking ok right now.

Have been thrilled with Meridian since joining for anyone near Parker. Walk 18 on weekend mornings in 3:45.

I enjoy Meridian. Did the range pass a few years ago when it was still reasonably priced. Got to play the course twice. A couple gimmicky holes but fun layout. They were doing a pretty good offer a couple years ago for residents in the immediate area but I couldn't pull the trigger

I just feel sorry for the people who have met me. :haha:

I know I regret it! :D

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Have been thrilled with Meridian since joining for anyone near Parker. Walk 18 on weekend mornings in 3:45.

If I had significant disposable income, I would instantly join Meridian. Their practice facility (and 3-hole course) is spectacular--actually, the only downside are the putting greens. The front nine is a very easy walk (the back nine, not as much) and is perfect for a quick afternoon jaunt.

Joel, do you ever play the TKO scramble on labor day Sunday? I've come up to play that the last couple years and it has been really fun. Lots of good players for a four man scramble.

No man, I haven't heard of that scramble. Snag me next year and we'll play it.

2nd quote: yes, I do end up getting my diversity through all the tournaments I play at other courses. It's amazing how much "member knowledge" there is at Nash. It's mostly the greens, there are a ton of subtle breaks that you just can't see and the only way to know them is to play the course. After the College tourney we host I saw Tristan Rohrbaugh whom I played with in the CGA western and plays for Boise State and that was the first thing he said when I asked him about the course. (Dewey, it wasn't just how "good" your putting was last week, ;-) )

I agree about going out to just play 3 or 4 holes.....I can pound balls and hit pitches and chips until I can not lift my arms, but I do my best practice on the course. As for meeting people, I couldn't agree more. While we don't have memberships, I have met a lot of fun people in both men's league as well as couples league. I just feel sorry for the people who have met me. :haha:

Yeah that's one of my favorite parts. Some weekdays if I feel like short game work I'll just grab a cart around 7pm and find a green complex on the course to mess around on. Put a couple alignment sticks in the green and chip to various spots. I almost always end up finding the hardest zones on the course (left on 3, long on 6 which are both close-mown spots you can hit 5 different shots from).

I get sick of practicing some days also so I just grab a cart late and steam around getting as many holes as possible.

I agree with the post above by Krush, about there being a big gap in clubs available around here. Just looking at the private club guide in CO avid golfer every year, and I choke over how high the initiation fees are all over. My wife and I are DINKs and make a comfortable living, but having 30k, 50k+ to plop down on a golf membership is just a lifestyle I can't comprehend. ClubCorp is really the only game in town that fits anywhere close to what I'd want to commit to golf on the south side... but hearing that it's crowded and tough to get a time on weekends makes it not very desirable at all. The annual membership at GVR is the best deal around, and it's one of my favorite courses in Denver. I just wish it wasn't so far away. There's no way I'm heading up there after work on a weekday from Parker...so it'd be a weekend only thing. How about we all band together and mount an insurgency, and take over Colorado Golf Club? We'd only need to take over one of those giant houses for all of us... it'd be the COWrx compound. Problem solved. :-)

My wife and I are DINK's also and I feel the same way about those initiation fees. It's funny because every time another member realizes we live downtown Denver the same question comes up right away... "why did you join here?" The answer is pretty simple.. "I paid $100 initiation, the monthly dues are great and the indoor facility is the best one. Oh, and it's 10 mins from work"

I would join a CGC compound but (no offense) I don't want to live in the south denver zone. Traffic is terrible and all my friends and family are up north.

I would join a CGC compound but (no offense) I don't want to live in the south denver zone. Traffic is terrible and all my friends and family are up north.

On days I have to go into the office near Coors Field (fortunately, reduced to twice a month). I'm typically zipping along 40-55mph northbound on 25 at 7am; I look at the southbound lanes, and it looks like a parking lot from Hampden up to downtown. The opposite is true when I drive home around 3pm (although the southbound drive can become a standstill very quickly near University). I would go insane if I lived up north and I had to commute to DTC every day. (But certainly understandable if your family is up near Wyoming. ;))

On days I have to go into the office near Coors Field (fortunately, reduced to twice a month). I'm typically zipping along 40-55mph northbound on 25 at 7am; I look at the southbound lanes, and it looks like a parking lot from Hampden up to downtown. The opposite is true when I drive home around 3pm (although the southbound drive can become a standstill very quickly near University). I would go insane if I lived up north and I had to commute to DTC every day.

Amen on this one. It's nice living in the city because I'm going the opposite direction like you are. Takes me 25 minutes to get to work and it's about 25 miles north.

Assuming I'm guessing right, that club is a bit out of my tax bracket. But man it would be nice...

Lol, amen to that one. I'm trying to get on there through some friends at some point this year. I've played it twice for the US Four-Ball Qual a couple years ago but that's it.

Separate note: I just got an email yesterday that Nash made the Interclub playoffs. Looks like we get to play Glenwood Springs first. I just looked at the course and it looks like a 3000 yard 9 hole par 35. I'm already going to be in Grand Junction that weekend for the Rocky Mountain Open so I'll play the matches there on my way home. Looks like it's going to be an interesting one.

TPC Glenwood or "the Hill" is sick. It's humerickhouse's home track. greens are pure, setup is a fun 9 hole parkland style track with a drivable opener, back 2 back par 3's and a par three with the sand traps lined and filled with water as water hazards. pretty fun.. there is a CGA 2-man best ball there early season usually with a pretty nice Calcutta. 20-30 grand pot if i remember correctly.

you'll love it. nice job making the cut. i followed zubo around sat/sun for his back nine, sleeping in after missing the cut was sweet. Are you already in the Mid-am? i'm gonna have to hit up Bookcliff and do some work wednesday so i can come hang out at Keystone. Love the mid-am setup after experiencing the AM. 3 days, cut after 36 and CARTS! ha.

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

SIM2 Rescue 4 22° Nippon GOST X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"

No man, I haven't heard of that scramble. Snag me next year and we'll play it.

2nd quote: yes, I do end up getting my diversity through all the tournaments I play at other courses. It's amazing how much "member knowledge" there is at Nash. It's mostly the greens, there are a ton of subtle breaks that you just can't see and the only way to know them is to play the course. After the College tourney we host I saw Tristan Rohrbaugh whom I played with in the CGA western and plays for Boise State and that was the first thing he said when I asked him about the course. (Dewey, it wasn't just how "good" your putting was last week, ;-) )

I agree about going out to just play 3 or 4 holes.....I can pound balls and hit pitches and chips until I can not lift my arms, but I do my best practice on the course. As for meeting people, I couldn't agree more. While we don't have memberships, I have met a lot of fun people in both men's league as well as couples league. I just feel sorry for the people who have met me. :haha:

Yeah that's one of my favorite parts. Some weekdays if I feel like short game work I'll just grab a cart around 7pm and find a green complex on the course to mess around on. Put a couple alignment sticks in the green and chip to various spots. I almost always end up finding the hardest zones on the course (left on 3, long on 6 which are both close-mown spots you can hit 5 different shots from).

I get sick of practicing some days also so I just grab a cart late and steam around getting as many holes as possible.

I agree with the post above by Krush, about there being a big gap in clubs available around here. Just looking at the private club guide in CO avid golfer every year, and I choke over how high the initiation fees are all over. My wife and I are DINKs and make a comfortable living, but having 30k, 50k+ to plop down on a golf membership is just a lifestyle I can't comprehend. ClubCorp is really the only game in town that fits anywhere close to what I'd want to commit to golf on the south side... but hearing that it's crowded and tough to get a time on weekends makes it not very desirable at all. The annual membership at GVR is the best deal around, and it's one of my favorite courses in Denver. I just wish it wasn't so far away. There's no way I'm heading up there after work on a weekday from Parker...so it'd be a weekend only thing. How about we all band together and mount an insurgency, and take over Colorado Golf Club? We'd only need to take over one of those giant houses for all of us... it'd be the COWrx compound. Problem solved. :-)

My wife and I are DINK's also and I feel the same way about those initiation fees. It's funny because every time another member realizes we live downtown Denver the same question comes up right away... "why did you join here?" The answer is pretty simple.. "I paid $100 initiation, the monthly dues are great and the indoor facility is the best one. Oh, and it's 10 mins from work"

If we didn't have a kid, I'd be much more likely to be a member at CO National. Dues seem very reasonable and even with the distance I'd have to go to play, it's not a huge deal. Problem is, we do have a kid...and my wife likes to take vacations, so extra golf goes by the wayside. I'm lucky enough to be able to play a couple times a month (as opposed to not at all) and chipping and putting is free practice, so it'll have to do.

Problem is, we do have a kid...and my wife likes to take vacations, so extra golf goes by the wayside. I'm lucky enough to be able to play a couple times a month (as opposed to not at all) and chipping and putting is free practice, so it'll have to do.

You're making the married & kids route seem less and less appealing...

Kind of a disappointing round today at the Ridge. Shot a 92 (50/42). With my handicap I get 7 strokes per side, so the back-9 42 is fine. The 50 was atrocious. Had two triples and a double on the front. I was glad that I was able to bounce back and salvage a decent side after screwing the pooch on the front.

My play was "Meh", but that's not what bugged me. I was really disappointed in the conditions at the course. I hadn't been out there this year, but the Ridge really seems to have gone downhill from what I remember in past years. The greens were shaggy and bumpy. Some of them had recently been topdressed and were a sandy mess. The bunkers were a disaster, didn't look like they had been raked in weeks. Some on the front were completely washed out and just hardpan. I know we've had some crummy weather lately, but for a place that positions itself as a "premium" place I expect better. The greens at all the Aurora muni's have been better, smoother, and faster all year long. I'm glad I got on for the $49 twilight special; if I had paid full summer price, I would be pissed.

Got a tee time lined up for Sunday morning at Green Valley Ranch. I always really enjoy rounds up there and typically play pretty well, so I'm looking forward to it.

That's disappointing to hear about the Ridge. The greens are rolling nice at GVR right now. The bunkers are a different story. I love the course but would have a hard time paying full rate with the condition of their bunkers.

I have my match play there tomorrow morning and we're evenly matched so it should be really fun. It's one my good friends so the trash talking has been non stop this past week. Hopefully I'll be enjoying beer and wings on him tomorrow afternoon!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Problem is, we do have a kid...and my wife likes to take vacations, so extra golf goes by the wayside. I'm lucky enough to be able to play a couple times a month (as opposed to not at all) and chipping and putting is free practice, so it'll have to do.

You're making the married & kids route seem less and less appealing...

Nah. It's awesome. Wish I could play a little more, but we're able to do just about anything we want to these days, even with Louise in tow. Flew three round trips during her first three months, planning a trip to Nova Scotia (playing Cabot Cliffs while I'm there) next summer, and on and on. Best part is that I now have a built in excuse to NOT do things.

That's disappointing to hear about the Ridge. The greens are rolling nice at GVR right now. The bunkers are a different story. I love the course but would have a hard time paying full rate with the condition of their bunkers.

I have my match play there tomorrow morning and we're evenly matched so it should be really fun. It's one my good friends so the trash talking has been non stop this past week. Hopefully I'll be enjoying beer and wings on him tomorrow afternoon!

You get those wings?

Totally agree on the GVR bunker situation. Felt like I had to smash my clubs in the dirt when we played there.

Day 2 of club championship tomorrow. 4 guys at 2 under including me so it should be a good one! made 30 and 40 foot benders for par on 2 and 3 to keep the day going and plodded around for the rest of the day.

Yesterday was good. It's probably the first round I've played this year that I was pretty pleased with. I had some mistakes I wish I could take back, but that's part of the game. Yesterday I won 6 and 4 on the 14th and shot an 86 overall with a triple and 2 doubles. When applying my course handicap, I shot a 67. I closed the match out on 14 with a 177yd approach shot that I stuck to an inch. All I needed was to get a push on the hole, so I went out in style lol. I play a near scratch player in the next round so that should be interesting.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Assuming I'm guessing right, that club is a bit out of my tax bracket. But man it would be nice...

Lol, amen to that one. I'm trying to get on there through some friends at some point this year. I've played it twice for the US Four-Ball Qual a couple years ago but that's it.

Separate note: I just got an email yesterday that Nash made the Interclub playoffs. Looks like we get to play Glenwood Springs first. I just looked at the course and it looks like a 3000 yard 9 hole par 35. I'm already going to be in Grand Junction that weekend for the Rocky Mountain Open so I'll play the matches there on my way home. Looks like it's going to be an interesting one.

TPC Glenwood or "the Hill" is sick. It's humerickhouse's home track. greens are pure, setup is a fun 9 hole parkland style track with a drivable opener, back 2 back par 3's and a par three with the sand traps lined and filled with water as water hazards. pretty fun.. there is a CGA 2-man best ball there early season usually with a pretty nice Calcutta. 20-30 grand pot if i remember correctly.

you'll love it. nice job making the cut. i followed zubo around sat/sun for his back nine, sleeping in after missing the cut was sweet. Are you already in the Mid-am? i'm gonna have to hit up Bookcliff and do some work wednesday so i can come hang out at Keystone. Love the mid-am setup after experiencing the AM. 3 days, cut after 36 and CARTS! ha.

Hopefully I even get to play in it. I was thinking of timing last week and I had to tell our team captain that he can't rely on me for it. Even if everything goes perfect for the RMO just teeing off at 9am would put me in Glenwood at 2:30 at the earliest I think. I would love to be able to play in it but I can't risk the team on timing like that.

Thanks man, made the cut on the number! I was E when I saw you but made double on 3 and had to grind my way in. Ended up playing pretty terrible on the weekend so there was no sleeping in for me... Waking up at 4:45 every morning.

No I'm not in the Mid-AM yet. I was exempt last year but hated the course we played and it showed in my scores out there. I'll be teeing it up at the Broadlands to qualify on the 31st. The qualifying number is usually pretty high with less people qualifying and no college golfers competing. Yeah, Keystone would SUCK without carts, at least the River course. I've never played the ranch course but I hear it's a bit flatter. Play well man. I didn't know you even could compete in the Senior Am Qual for the Mid-Am. Are they letting you because there isn't another one in the mountains?

s*** the bed today! Oh well, maybe next year.

Tough break man. Yeah, get em next year.

Looks like I might have to skip my club championship this year. I have a wedding I have to go to that Saturday. Club Championships happen every year. One of my best buds getting married happens once (hopefully.)

Wings and beer is the standard bet I make with my buddy as well. Right now neither of us is playing well enough that we want to play for even a dollar.