2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

Oh.. also gotta post. I'm totally in love with my golf club stroller :-) Arrived yesterday, and I used it for my round at GVR this morning. My feet still feel like I walked 18 holes, but my back and shoulders feel great. I should've done this a long time ago.

Kind of a "meh" day for me today overall. Shot 87 (46/41).

I just had nothing going on the front. I was a club short on nearly every shot today. I'm pretty honest with myself about my distances/club selections, but something was just out of whack today. Overall I was making good contact, but I think I wasn't making a full turn which was causing my yardage woes. Front nine was just bogey, bogey, bogey... all day long.

1- hit green, 3 putted from 30 ft. Bogey.

2- missed short, didn't get up in down. Bogey.

3- hit green, 3 putted from 15-18 ft. Bogey.

4- hit green, 10 ft for birdie and never gave it a chance... missed cup by a foot. Par.

5- missed short in front bunker, missed 6-8 footer (again missed cup by 8-10 inches, never a chance). Bogey.

6- only bad driver swing of the day, lost ball. Re-tee 3 and hit fairway. Guess what? Missed short, didn't get up and down. Bogey + penalties = Triple.

7- missed short in front bunker. Another bogey.

8- missed short... there's a theme here. Missed 6-7 footer for par save, again never even gave it a chance. Bogey.

9- Two good shots, and had 110 in. Missed right. Hit a bad chip and left myself 10-12 ft for par. Something clicked on my putting stroke on this hole. I missed the par putt on the lip, but it was the first good roll I had made all day. Bogey.

On a good note... I did turn things around a bit on the back. Made a mess of a couple of holes, but over all pretty good.

10- Missed right, but got a good break and ball stayed up from hazard. Drained a 10 footer to save par.

11- Par on 11... this hole is my nemesis, first time par here.

12- Stupid bladed wedge from 50yds, flew the green and the cart path into the sh*t. Double.

13- Good two putt from 40+ ft. Par.

14- Perfect drive, and wedge to 6 ft. Drained the birdie.

15- Totally f@$^@& up. Triple.

16- One of the best iron shots of my life over the trees to 8-10ft, and drained the birdie putt.

17- Missed short right, and horrible chip. Bogey.

18- Put third shot in bunker. Bogey.

As a 13 hcp, +15 is net par for me. So I guess I should be ok with that... but I got off the tee really well today. I hit 13/14 fairways, but only hit 7 greens. Can't help but feel like I turned what could have been a good round into a pretty mediocre one.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't expecting it yesterday but Murphy already had all the pins and tees marked for tomorrow!!

I'm sure the two random guys we got paired with thought I was a little crazy since I would play the hole to the green and then not even make a putt at the hole.

Good news was they only played 9 so I was able to play the back where the holes were cut yesterday and still have time to putt around every pin location we'll get tomorrow to get my reads. I was blown away how little break those greens at Murphy have.

I wasn't expecting it yesterday but Murphy already had all the pins and tees marked for tomorrow!!

I'm sure the two random guys we got paired with thought I was a little crazy since I would play the hole to the green and then not even make a putt at the hole.

Good news was they only played 9 so I was able to play the back where the holes were cut yesterday and still have time to putt around every pin location we'll get tomorrow to get my reads. I was blown away how little break those greens at Murphy have.

Good luck out there! We'll send good WRX vibes for a low one. Birdie, Birdie start. Couple more mid front, turn in 32, one bogey on the back but four more birdies for 65 and medalist by 2.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Golf's interesting.

Shot a 41 on the front at Broadlands. Nothing but pars and bogeys.

Shot a 40 on the back, which had 2 doubles.

Putting was a bit better, except my 4-putt double bogey.

Stuck a par 3 shot to about 2 feet for a super easy birdie.

Had a 25 foot eagle putt on the following hole. Back to back birdies felt real good after coming off a 4 and 3 putt on the prior holes.

Wasn't happy with an 81, as there were EASILY 6 strokes I could have shaved off to shoot in the mid 70's. Probably last round of golf in a while. My mom is visiting from out of town for a week, followed by another visitor the 2 weeks after that. Hoping I can get at least a couple rounds in late September.

Dang it! Wish I could of made it yesterday, but fam comes first.... Good luck tomorrow!

Here's my notes and how I take them for tournament pins. I sent these to a couple friends that couldn't play yesterday. If I need tee notes on lines I'll make those as well but I don't need them often.

If pins are marked I always make notes of where the straight uphill putts are (the fall line). From the spot I put a hole or tee down and putt around it as much as possible to get the feel. Sometimes there are notes that need to go in also. You'll see a few of them here but nothing like normal because all the putts were so crazy straight. Normally I'll have a note like "putt really snaps off from pin high."

Glad to hear your game has improved! Looks like Monte gave you some good tips again. It's nice to see that he's so quick to respond!

I feel like my swing has improved myself, and I've seen some better scores overall this season, but not quite the progression I was hoping for, but that also has a lot to do with my lack of practice over the last couple months. Once July hit, I barely went to the range and just played instead.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I'm playing Cherry Creek CC tomorrow...any tips/advice/tricky holes to watch out for? I looked through the yardage book and it looks pretty straightforward but who knows.

Also feel like the game is finally starting to click a little better. Played Kennedy the other day and shot 44-40 with 3 birdies. Tied my lowest score for the year. Now to just keep that going...

I'm playing Cherry Creek CC tomorrow...any tips/advice/tricky holes to watch out for? I looked through the yardage book and it looks pretty straightforward but who knows.

It plays like a typical Nicklaus course. Tee to fairway is very straight-forward. The greens are extremely tricky. You need to hit to the correct level on the green. If you miss a little short, long, left, or right, it will typically fall away, and you will have a much longer pitch shot than you want. If you have a forecaddy, listen to what he says about where to putt the ball.

It's where I won both of my league's match play championships, so it has a special place in my heart. Have fun!

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

It plays like a typical Nicklaus course. Tee to fairway is very straight-forward. The greens are extremely tricky. You need to hit to the correct level on the green. If you miss a little short, long, left, or right, it will typically fall away, and you will have a much longer pitch shot than you want. If you have a forecaddy, listen to what he says about where to putt the ball.

It's where I won both of my league's match play championships, so it has a special place in my heart. Have fun!

Awesome, that's some great info, thanks! Congrats on winning those championships! Not sure if we'll have a forecaddy, obviously playing with a member so hopefully he'll have some tips for me if we don't have one. Is it a no-tipping club or should I bring some small bills? I'm excited to get out there!

Lemme tell ya, the forecaddy didn't refuse my $20 bill. The guy who "cleaned" my clubs didn't refuse the $3. I didn't do valet parking, since I didn't want them laughing at my 12-year-old car.

(Speaking of which, and I'm going to sound like a total WRX'er, who in their right mind plays with clubs with dirt in the grooves? I couldn't fathom putting a club back in my bag without wiping it down first. It's kind of why I'm annoyed when an employee starts to clean my clubs when I'm putting on the 18th green. They're already squeaky clean, but I still have to give you a few bucks so I don't look like an a**.)

Looks like things are falling in to place to play Castle Pines Country Club on Monday! Heard mixed reviews but I've never been and always love seeing new tracks.

Everyone playing this week?

Lemme tell ya, the forecaddy didn't refuse my $20 bill. The guy who "cleaned" my clubs didn't refuse the $3. I didn't do valet parking, since I didn't want them laughing at my 12-year-old car.

(Speaking of which, and I'm going to sound like a total WRX'er, who in their right mind plays with clubs with dirt in the grooves? I couldn't fathom putting a club back in my bag without wiping it down first. It's kind of why I'm annoyed when an employee starts to clean my clubs when I'm putting on the 18th green. They're already squeaky clean, but I still have to give you a few bucks so I don't look like an a**.)

Oh man...I so badly want to show you pictures of my grooves (or lack there of) to torture you. I think I cleaned my clubs once back in 1993. I also loathe backspin...if the balls spins it upsets me. Probably why I didn't like Inverness.

I also don't wash my vehicles...that's what the rain is for!

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Oh man...I so badly want to show you pictures of my grooves (or lack there of) to torture you. I think I cleaned my clubs once back in 1993. I also loathe backspin...if the balls spins it upsets me. Probably why I didn't like Inverness.

I'm with you on washing my car, let it rain. Full disclosure though, I have a 2002 4Runner wtih 235K miles.

However, I'm almost OCD about keeping my club clean. I keep them pretty clean during the round and every 2 or 3 round I clean them with soap and water (and the grips too).

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I'm with you on washing my car, let it rain. Full disclosure though, I have a 2002 4Runner wtih 235K miles.

However, I'm almost OCD about keeping my club clean. I keep them pretty clean during the round and every 2 or 3 round I clean them with soap and water (and the grips too).

Same for me. But my OCD extends to the need to have Iron Head covers too. I hate the cart rattle I get without them and don't like to see dings in my irons.

Yeah I take the ribbing for the Iron Head covers :)

Same for me. But my OCD extends to the need to have Iron Head covers too. I hate the cart rattle I get without them and don't like to see dings in my irons.

As well you should my friend, as well you should...

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Looks like things are falling in to place to play Castle Pines Country Club on Monday! Heard mixed reviews but I've never been and always love seeing new tracks.

The International Course or the other one?

If the other one, it's a very nice course; always well-maintained. With the exception of the first hole, the par 5's are absolute beasts. Incredibly difficult to make better than par.

The International Course or the other one?

If the other one, it's a very nice course; always well-maintained. With the exception of the first hole, the par 5's are absolute beasts. Incredibly difficult to make better than par.

The other one. They 5's looked a little crazy on the website. I'm gunna play the bear tee boxes and see how painful it is.

I assume you have forged irons? I'll only put those monstrosities on when I travel.

So Cherry Creek was just an awesome experience. Now to convince the wife that we should join there...for now the only response is :stop:

Played the gold tees, which play at 6,868 and a 72.3/134 rating. After a bogey and double to start, I finally settled in to finish with a 42 on the front. The back on this course is a beast! Some really long holes. Had a pretty crazy back, alternating between pars and doubles. Was quite bizarre. Finished with a 45 on the back for an 87, which I was pretty damn happy with. Was my third best differential for the year. Need to try to keep this going!

Hope you all get out this holiday weekend and hit them long and straight!

Everyone playing this week?

Hopefully the greens aren't too bad. They've lost greens every year for the last three years and just rebuilt them a couple years ago. Last people I talked to that played there said you couldn't hold any shots because they were too firm and they don't exactly lend themselves to running them up.

Ahh nevermind. Just saw you said you aren't playing the international course.

Here's my notes and how I take them for tournament pins. I sent these to a couple friends that couldn't play yesterday. If I need tee notes on lines I'll make those as well but I don't need them often.

If pins are marked I always make notes of where the straight uphill putts are (the fall line). From the spot I put a hole or tee down and putt around it as much as possible to get the feel. Sometimes there are notes that need to go in also. You'll see a few of them here but nothing like normal because all the putts were so crazy straight. Normally I'll have a note like "putt really snaps off from pin high."

So how did it go?

EDIT: Your right on the greens about lack of break. Tuesday I was at Olde Course in Loveland for practice round (helping a friend) for state qualifier and those greens have serious break, its night and day from MC. I had never played it before and what stood out, I am pretty sure it is the first and only course I have played that has NO fairway bunkers?? Not a single one....

Looks like things are falling in to place to play Castle Pines Country Club on Monday! Heard mixed reviews but I've never been and always love seeing new tracks. Everyone playing this week?

Welp, my friend and I were too late to sign up for the Wellshire Four-ball. He didn't call me until Tuesday though. So I immediately called Estes to try and get in there and they said they were full also. Ugh.....

Looks like no tournament for me. Plus the wife is gone all week soooooo I might be bored. I'm debating a glow golf night with a backpack full of beer :).

I did book a 9:45 AM on Saturday and a 2PM Monday at nash. Neither are full and if anyone wants to join in let me know!

Here's my notes and how I take them for tournament pins. I sent these to a couple friends that couldn't play yesterday. If I need tee notes on lines I'll make those as well but I don't need them often. If pins are marked I always make notes of where the straight uphill putts are (the fall line). From the spot I put a hole or tee down and putt around it as much as possible to get the feel. Sometimes there are notes that need to go in also. You'll see a few of them here but nothing like normal because all the putts were so crazy straight. Normally I'll have a note like "putt really snaps off from pin high."
So how did it go? EDIT: Your right on the greens about lack of break. Tuesday I was at Olde Course in Loveland for practice round (helping a friend) for state qualifier and those greens have serious break, its night and day from MC. I had never played it before and what stood out, I am pretty sure it is the first and only course I have played that has NO fairway bunkers?? Not a single one....

It didn't go too well. I started on 10 and had a 15 footer for birdie which I burned the lip and ran 4 feet by before missing the comebacker. Bogey Bogey start. Birdied 13 to get it back to +1. Fast forward to 15 and piped a drive leaving me 275 out so I pulled a 3-wood and tried to hit a cut off the left bunker and sliced it 60 yards right of the green, lol. Dropped, put a wedge on and then 3-putted for double, missing another 3 footer. Put one in the water on 16, made bogey and then 3-putted again on 18 from 15 feet again for a smooth 41.

From there knowing I needed to be 2 or 3 under it was time to go right at pins. Birdied 1, another 18 foot 3-putt on 2, birdied 3, bogeyed 4, birdied 5, and eagled 6. Ironically after all of that I still had a shot at +2 with three to play with the drivable 9th but parred in and shot 74.

I did the qualifier for the CGA Mid-Am yesterday at the broadlands. Those greens are still slow. It was weird though because they were faster than normal (for them, which is about an 8.5-9) but everyone I played with still struggled big time to get the ball to the hole. Personally I just never got any positive momentum going and shot 76 with 34 putts. Had a really interesting start too, cold-topping it right off 1 and burying it off the tee box in front of me for a very quick early double. I only made one birdie on the day. Good thing that number is still good enough to get in next week!

I really like the Olde Course. 9, 14 and 15 are tough holes out there. They used to play a CGA out there every year and for some reason they didn't play it this year. I didn't hesitate to make that drive from Denver for it.

What is your buddy qualifying for? I see there's a Senior Am qualifier there in a few days, that must be it.

Lemme tell ya, the forecaddy didn't refuse my $20 bill. The guy who "cleaned" my clubs didn't refuse the $3. I didn't do valet parking, since I didn't want them laughing at my 12-year-old car. (Speaking of which, and I'm going to sound like a total WRX'er, who in their right mind plays with clubs with dirt in the grooves? I couldn't fathom putting a club back in my bag without wiping it down first. It's kind of why I'm annoyed when an employee starts to clean my clubs when I'm putting on the 18th green. They're already squeaky clean, but I still have to give you a few bucks so I don't look like an a**.)
Oh man...I so badly want to show you pictures of my grooves (or lack there of) to torture you. I think I cleaned my clubs once back in 1993. I also loathe backspin...if the balls spins it upsets me. Probably why I didn't like Inverness. I also don't wash my vehicles...that's what the rain is for!
I'm with you on washing my car, let it rain. Full disclosure though, I have a 2002 4Runner wtih 235K miles. However, I'm almost OCD about keeping my club clean. I keep them pretty clean during the round and every 2 or 3 round I clean them with soap and water (and the grips too).
Same for me. But my OCD extends to the need to have Iron Head covers too. I hate the cart rattle I get without them and don't like to see dings in my irons. Yeah I take the ribbing for the Iron Head covers :)
I assume you have forged irons? I'll only put those monstrosities on when I travel.

Yes, Mizuno JPX-850 Forged.

One Day I need to add a WITB to my signature :)

Looks like things are falling in to place to play Castle Pines Country Club on Monday! Heard mixed reviews but I've never been and always love seeing new tracks. Everyone playing this week?

Welp, my friend and I were too late to sign up for the Wellshire Four-ball. He didn't call me until Tuesday though. So I immediately called Estes to try and get in there and they said they were full also. Ugh.....

Looks like no tournament for me. Plus the wife is gone all week soooooo I might be bored. I'm debating a glow golf night with a backpack full of beer :).

I did book a 9:45 AM on Saturday and a 2PM Monday at nash. Neither are full and if anyone wants to join in let me know!

Here's my notes and how I take them for tournament pins. I sent these to a couple friends that couldn't play yesterday. If I need tee notes on lines I'll make those as well but I don't need them often. If pins are marked I always make notes of where the straight uphill putts are (the fall line). From the spot I put a hole or tee down and putt around it as much as possible to get the feel. Sometimes there are notes that need to go in also. You'll see a few of them here but nothing like normal because all the putts were so crazy straight. Normally I'll have a note like "putt really snaps off from pin high."
So how did it go? EDIT: Your right on the greens about lack of break. Tuesday I was at Olde Course in Loveland for practice round (helping a friend) for state qualifier and those greens have serious break, its night and day from MC. I had never played it before and what stood out, I am pretty sure it is the first and only course I have played that has NO fairway bunkers?? Not a single one....

It didn't go too well. I started on 10 and had a 15 footer for birdie which I burned the lip and ran 4 feet by before missing the comebacker. Bogey Bogey start. Birdied 13 to get it back to +1. Fast forward to 15 and piped a drive leaving me 275 out so I pulled a 3-wood and tried to hit a cut off the left bunker and sliced it 60 yards right of the green, lol. Dropped, put a wedge on and then 3-putted for double, missing another 3 footer. Put one in the water on 16, made bogey and then 3-putted again on 18 from 15 feet again for a smooth 41.

From there knowing I needed to be 2 or 3 under it was time to go right at pins. Birdied 1, another 18 foot 3-putt on 2, birdied 3, bogeyed 4, birdied 5, and eagled 6. Ironically after all of that I still had a shot at +2 with three to play with the drivable 9th but parred in and shot 74.

I did the qualifier for the CGA Mid-Am yesterday at the broadlands. Those greens are still slow. It was weird though because they were faster than normal (for them, which is about an 8.5-9) but everyone I played with still struggled big time to get the ball to the hole. Personally I just never got any positive momentum going and shot 76 with 34 putts. Had a really interesting start too, cold-topping it right off 1 and burying it off the tee box in front of me for a very quick early double. I only made one birdie on the day. Good thing that number is still good enough to get in next week!

I really like the Olde Course. 9, 14 and 15 are tough holes out there. They used to play a CGA out there every year and for some reason they didn't play it this year. I didn't hesitate to make that drive from Denver for it.

What is your buddy qualifying for? I see there's a Senior Am qualifier there in a few days, that must be it.

He is doing the Senior qualifier. IMHO that course is probably not fair at around 6600-6700 yards given his game. They better make the greens firm and fast. He is just in the age range now. I agree those 3 holes are the only trouble really out there.

It was his first time seeing the course and he shot around par or 1 over with only 1 bird with greens that were crazy slow. Score was not the focus it was note taking like you did and to practice on the greens.

Reason I asked how it went, I practice out there and he plays out of Murphy Creek Club and has won the men's club stroke/match play championship many many times (both in the same year a few times). They used make them play it from the back around the 7700/7800 yards. I think they changed that to one tee up, but if agreed by both players they play the tips.

He asked me to go for the practice round with him as I am the area on Tuesday for work and to read the greens / notes as putting is the only thing that saves my game.... :tongue:

Snuck out for a quick nine yesterday before the football game. Played the first 6 holes in 45 minutes before I caught up to anyone. Hit my only bad drive on number 8...pulled left into the rough and under a tree. Had 234 to the pin and 220 to the front of the green. Pulled out my hybrid and planned to hit it about 20-30 yards short. Only made about an 80% swing but flushed it and it took a huge forward kick off the hill and rolled through the fringe off the back of the green. Group in front of me was still putting....I tried to walk up and apologize but they just looked me off and went to the next hole.

Not even sure they saw my ball roll up since the pin was on the right and I rolled through the left fringe. I was in disbelief though. When I got up to my ball I lasered the tree I was under at 242. I can hit that hybrid 205 max. I'm pretty sure it rolled about 80 yards.

TL;DR

I hit an unexpected amazing recovery shot that I was very proud of...but felt bad about it for hitting into the group in front of me

Made it to the quarter finals of match play and had my match this morning. Played God awful on the front, but still managed to be AS or 1up at the turn. Finally found my game by 11 and played quite well for the rest of the round (+4). Unfortunately so did my opponent. He made a great par on 17 to bring the match to AS. I had a chance to close him out on 18 but misread my 6ft putt and burned the edge. I was so disappointed because I hit my putt exactly how I wanted. So we went on to extra holes, but had to wait 35 minutes. Not sure if that had an impact, but I promptly found OB with my tee shot and I was pretty much sunk at that point. It was a good run though and a very competitive match which was fun.

I'm starting to see some progress in my game though. While I'm not quite where I wanted to be in the season, I feel like my scores are more consistently lower. Even with my first 10 holes today being awful, I still managed to shoot an 88, which for me is a decent score. Hopefully next year, I can start seeing scores more consistently in the low-mid 80s.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1