2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

That's awesome, Tim. Always feels good to play well. I may hit up for info about the GVR men's club next year. I'm thinking about doing that Players Club deal up there next year if they offer it again. I was a little hesitant about it this year, due to the length of the drive; but I've really enjoyed playing up there the several times I've made it this season. It really is my favorite pubic course around, I think.

I didn't get out to play at all this weekend. Looks like I've got at least a two week hiatus from golf. Spent the weekend up in Crested Butte for the long weekend with the wife, which was awesome. I had thought I might go out late this afternoon after getting home... but after taking 6 hours to get home (for a 4 hour drive), and the fact that it was hot as balls down here on the front range, I nixed that idea. Sadly, won't be able to get out next weekend either... I'm having minor operation on Thursday, so no golf for me. I'm hopeful to be back out there in a couple weeks.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't thought about golf since my sad day at GVR. I will be playing Murphy Creek this Saturday, and it will most likely be my last round of the season--unless we get in that Broncos shotgun scramble in October.

My youngest got selected to join a competitive ninja team, and she has competitions every 2-4 weeks up and down the front range; including the Wolfpack Ninja Tour at the Budweiser Events Center in November. If you watched last week's episode of American Ninja Warrior, two coaches from her ninja gym, Lorin Ball & Jesse Lucero, made it through to the Vegas finals.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Greetings from Honduras, and apologies for the radio silence on my end. I'm going to check the polls when I get home on Wednesday (hopefully in a good mood after stealing three points here) and we'll see where we are with a fall CO WRX get-together. Looking forward to either helping put it together and playing or missing out and still helping where I can!

Tim, glad to hear you're seeing some results!

Made it to the quarter finals of match play and had my match this morning. Played God awful on the front, but still managed to be AS or 1up at the turn. Finally found my game by 11 and played quite well for the rest of the round (+4). Unfortunately so did my opponent. He made a great par on 17 to bring the match to AS. I had a chance to close him out on 18 but misread my 6ft putt and burned the edge. I was so disappointed because I hit my putt exactly how I wanted. So we went on to extra holes, but had to wait 35 minutes. Not sure if that had an impact, but I promptly found OB with my tee shot and I was pretty much sunk at that point. It was a good run though and a very competitive match which was fun.

I'm starting to see some progress in my game though. While I'm not quite where I wanted to be in the season, I feel like my scores are more consistently lower. Even with my first 10 holes today being awful, I still managed to shoot an 88, which for me is a decent score. Hopefully next year, I can start seeing scores more consistently in the low-mid 80s.

That's some good playing bro. Match play is a different beast.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

That's awesome, Tim. Always feels good to play well. I may hit up for info about the GVR men's club next year. I'm thinking about doing that Players Club deal up there next year if they offer it again. I was a little hesitant about it this year, due to the length of the drive; but I've really enjoyed playing up there the several times I've made it this season. It really is my favorite pubic course around, I think.

I think they just lowered the price of the Player's club to $119 for the remainder of the season, which could end up being a great deal for you if you plan on getting some good rounds in this fall.

And it would be awesome if you joined the men's club. It's small, but a great group of guys. The guy who runs it is awesome and takes great care of us; he's very generous overall. We're trying to grow it more, so it would be great if you joined. We could use some more good players.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Did anyone play on Labor Day?

My wife and I played a little couples scramble with some of our friends at Broadlands and man was it windy! At times it was easily a 2 to 3 club wind. Was also hard to see the ball down with all that smoke in the air. But apparently Broadlands is very short staffed right now so they closed the course at 5pm...no bueno for our afternoon tee time. However, they gave us a rain check for another 18 holes so I guess I can't complain....oh wait I just did.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

I got to play at Country Club at Castle Pines and it was pretty legit. Fancy and everything is done perfectly there. Greens were very firm and the ball had to be coming in high and soft to hold. Classic Nicklaus design where I drove the ball poorly in the wind and as a result, played quite badly. The wind got crazy on our back nine and really made things interesting. I hit a gap wedge on the green from 189 on one hole and three holes later hit a nine iron on the green from 121. Elevation changes are nuts on that course. Definitely would recommend but doubt I will be joining anytime soon.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Once a date and location are set post it up. Most dates work for me.

I may have a few other local players that might be interested but are not super active on the website would they be allowed?

As far as I'm concerned, sure! I'll close the poll in a couple of days. Right now, looking like the 14th/15th holds a small edge over the following weekend.

(Monte knows about some of this situation already) -- But a question for anyone out there, specifically parents whose kids play junior golf.

Ryan (my brother) has some awesome talent, and he hits a long freaking golf ball compared to others his age. However, his scores do not necessarily reflect this, and he's got lots to learn. He doesn't exactly have a consistent swing either -- all in time. That said, Monte gets his due lesson fees for all the help he gives him (and me), and it seems his high school coach has been awesome at finding whatever the exact advice Monte gives and telling my brother the opposite. Her current advice, he needs to stop hitching his hips back so much and instead keep his lower body as still as possible. If you're looking to find a way to give a 15 year old kid back problems...

Anyway, Monte is obviously far and away more talented, more qualified, and the only person anyone wants giving swing advice to him. However, I obviously can't be by him at every practice, and he'll come home from practice and say that she (his coach) got on him for hitching his hips or moving his lower body, or whatever -- the stuff that he's supposed to be doing. We've sent a very nice, subtle email to her saying "Here's what Monte wants Ryan to do, just so we can make sure everyone is on the same page" -- she told him the other day that she got the email, and she's basically telling him to do the same things that Monte says. (If Monte hasn't lost all his hair by now...)

Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? Issue is if he continues with the team he's got another 2 years with this coach, and we don't exactly want to burn every bridge completely down, lest he pays for it. However, it's very irritating to have a relatively unqualified coach in terms of the swing giving and changing/conflicting with advice an actual coach knows. (The coach's family member is the local D1 university golf coach, so I suspect that is where some of it comes from).

Any advice? Anyone ever had anything like this? I'm sure we could sick Monte on her (he'd be willing, lol), but like I said -- two years to deal with it. :D ;)

That's a tough situation. If Ryan wants to play, I almost think he needs to suck it up and ditch Monte during the season. Having either of you tell the coach they're wrong is not going to bode well for anyone. No coach wants to have the added stress of having to deal with another swing coach or player that comes across as knowing it all. It's simply going to create unjust tension for everyone, including the team.

Has Ryan tried to implement some of the coaches swing changes? Maybe do it for the season, and if he doesn't see any positive results, then address it at the end of the season. Or maybe better yet, have Monte work with him in the off-season and address it with the coach right before next years season, stating he's made some great gains with a personal coach and he'd like to have the opportunity to continue to work with them throughout the season because it's working for him.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Interesting situation-the high school where my son played was different. The head coach-who is also a swing coach to many kids and adults in town, rarely, if ever offered swing advice. He knew most, if not all the kids on the team had their own coaches anyway, so I'm sure he didn't interfere unless requested to do so. Many of the kids had him as their swing coach, so I guess they would be handled differently.

That said-the high school season is really short, and it never hurts to get a different opinion, or a different voice. If something clicks, utilize it, if it doesn't, give it a shot and move on. I'm sure the coach is just trying to help him improve....

I went to a high school of 100 kids (total). My junior and senior year, I was the golf team's swing coach because I was the only one getting lessons. :D

(Monte knows about some of this situation already) -- But a question for anyone out there, specifically parents whose kids play junior golf.

Ryan (my brother) has some awesome talent, and he hits a long freaking golf ball compared to others his age. However, his scores do not necessarily reflect this, and he's got lots to learn. He doesn't exactly have a consistent swing either -- all in time. That said, Monte gets his due lesson fees for all the help he gives him (and me), and it seems his high school coach has been awesome at finding whatever the exact advice Monte gives and telling my brother the opposite. Her current advice, he needs to stop hitching his hips back so much and instead keep his lower body as still as possible. If you're looking to find a way to give a 15 year old kid back problems...

Anyway, Monte is obviously far and away more talented, more qualified, and the only person anyone wants giving swing advice to him. However, I obviously can't be by him at every practice, and he'll come home from practice and say that she (his coach) got on him for hitching his hips or moving his lower body, or whatever -- the stuff that he's supposed to be doing. We've sent a very nice, subtle email to her saying "Here's what Monte wants Ryan to do, just so we can make sure everyone is on the same page" -- she told him the other day that she got the email, and she's basically telling him to do the same things that Monte says. (If Monte hasn't lost all his hair by now...)

Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? Issue is if he continues with the team he's got another 2 years with this coach, and we don't exactly want to burn every bridge completely down, lest he pays for it. However, it's very irritating to have a relatively unqualified coach in terms of the swing giving and changing/conflicting with advice an actual coach knows. (The coach's family member is the local D1 university golf coach, so I suspect that is where some of it comes from).

Any advice? Anyone ever had anything like this? I'm sure we could sick Monte on her (he'd be willing, lol), but like I said -- two years to deal with it. :D ;)

Playing well shuts everything up. One of the kids on my college team never showed up to practice and would basically do whatever he wanted. He happened to be our best golfer by 3 strokes and the coach never seemed to care. It seems odd the high school golf coach would think they're qualified enough to trump over another golf coach. Screwing around with different teach methodologies can really mess someone up so I would stick with what Monte has been saying and go with it!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Did anyone play on Labor Day? My wife and I played a little couples scramble with some of our friends at Broadlands and man was it windy! At times it was easily a 2 to 3 club wind. Was also hard to see the ball down with all that smoke in the air. But apparently Broadlands is very short staffed right now so they closed the course at 5pm...no bueno for our afternoon tee time. However, they gave us a rain check for another 18 holes so I guess I can't complain....oh wait I just did.

My buddy John and I went up to Keystone to play the Ranch course as a practice round for the CO Mid-AM this weekend. I had played the River course before but never the ranch. Now having played it I think it's better then the river course. The river course is a fantastic mountain course but it's definitely more on the touristy side. Lucky for us it wasn't windy in the mountains!

The ranch is still gorgeous but is a really great golf course in it's own right. Greens were a solid 11 and conditions were great. The design is awesome and has that gorgeous prairie feel.

Honestly if you guys get a chance to play either course, don't hesitate. Keystone has two real gems up there and they're two of my favorite mountain layouts to date.

(Monte knows about some of this situation already) -- But a question for anyone out there, specifically parents whose kids play junior golf. Ryan (my brother) has some awesome talent, and he hits a long freaking golf ball compared to others his age. However, his scores do not necessarily reflect this, and he's got lots to learn. He doesn't exactly have a consistent swing either -- all in time. That said, Monte gets his due lesson fees for all the help he gives him (and me), and it seems his high school coach has been awesome at finding whatever the exact advice Monte gives and telling my brother the opposite. Her current advice, he needs to stop hitching his hips back so much and instead keep his lower body as still as possible. If you're looking to find a way to give a 15 year old kid back problems... Anyway, Monte is obviously far and away more talented, more qualified, and the only person anyone wants giving swing advice to him. However, I obviously can't be by him at every practice, and he'll come home from practice and say that she (his coach) got on him for hitching his hips or moving his lower body, or whatever -- the stuff that he's supposed to be doing. We've sent a very nice, subtle email to her saying "Here's what Monte wants Ryan to do, just so we can make sure everyone is on the same page" -- she told him the other day that she got the email, and she's basically telling him to do the same things that Monte says. (If Monte hasn't lost all his hair by now...) Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? Issue is if he continues with the team he's got another 2 years with this coach, and we don't exactly want to burn every bridge completely down, lest he pays for it. However, it's very irritating to have a relatively unqualified coach in terms of the swing giving and changing/conflicting with advice an actual coach knows. (The coach's family member is the local D1 university golf coach, so I suspect that is where some of it comes from). Any advice? Anyone ever had anything like this? I'm sure we could sick Monte on her (he'd be willing, lol), but like I said -- two years to deal with it. :D ;)

I think it depends on what Ryan feels more than anything. However, I do agree that the modern idea of maximizing the differential between your hip and shoulder turn by restricting hips is going to cause some back problems down the line. Did anyone watch the Feherty with Louis? He specifically talks about this.

As danzur mentioned, I don't think a high school coach should have a problem if one of their players has a different swing coach. I think your best approach if you want to ignore her swing advice is to tell her exactly that. Tell her Ryan has a swing coach that he knows and trusts and that she would be much better served focusing her attention on his short game. This way the coach can still feel like she's contributing to his game and isn't being ignored and Ryan can still go with the better coach. Short game is really where scoring comes down to mostly anyway and those with a top notch short game are the best golfers (Jordan is a perfect example).

Did anyone play on Labor Day? My wife and I played a little couples scramble with some of our friends at Broadlands and man was it windy! At times it was easily a 2 to 3 club wind. Was also hard to see the ball down with all that smoke in the air. But apparently Broadlands is very short staffed right now so they closed the course at 5pm...no bueno for our afternoon tee time. However, they gave us a rain check for another 18 holes so I guess I can't complain....oh wait I just did.

My buddy John and I went up to Keystone to play the Ranch course as a practice round for the CO Mid-AM this weekend. I had played the River course before but never the ranch. Now having played it I think it's better then the river course. The river course is a fantastic mountain course but it's definitely more on the touristy side. Lucky for us it wasn't windy in the mountains!

The ranch is still gorgeous but is a really great golf course in it's own right. Greens were a solid 11 and conditions were great. The design is awesome and has that gorgeous prairie feel.

Honestly if you guys get a chance to play either course, don't hesitate. Keystone has two real gems up there and they're two of my favorite mountain layouts to date.

(Monte knows about some of this situation already) -- But a question for anyone out there, specifically parents whose kids play junior golf. Ryan (my brother) has some awesome talent, and he hits a long freaking golf ball compared to others his age. However, his scores do not necessarily reflect this, and he's got lots to learn. He doesn't exactly have a consistent swing either -- all in time. That said, Monte gets his due lesson fees for all the help he gives him (and me), and it seems his high school coach has been awesome at finding whatever the exact advice Monte gives and telling my brother the opposite. Her current advice, he needs to stop hitching his hips back so much and instead keep his lower body as still as possible. If you're looking to find a way to give a 15 year old kid back problems... Anyway, Monte is obviously far and away more talented, more qualified, and the only person anyone wants giving swing advice to him. However, I obviously can't be by him at every practice, and he'll come home from practice and say that she (his coach) got on him for hitching his hips or moving his lower body, or whatever -- the stuff that he's supposed to be doing. We've sent a very nice, subtle email to her saying "Here's what Monte wants Ryan to do, just so we can make sure everyone is on the same page" -- she told him the other day that she got the email, and she's basically telling him to do the same things that Monte says. (If Monte hasn't lost all his hair by now...) Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? Issue is if he continues with the team he's got another 2 years with this coach, and we don't exactly want to burn every bridge completely down, lest he pays for it. However, it's very irritating to have a relatively unqualified coach in terms of the swing giving and changing/conflicting with advice an actual coach knows. (The coach's family member is the local D1 university golf coach, so I suspect that is where some of it comes from). Any advice? Anyone ever had anything like this? I'm sure we could sick Monte on her (he'd be willing, lol), but like I said -- two years to deal with it. :D ;)

I think it depends on what Ryan feels more than anything. However, I do agree that the modern idea of maximizing the differential between your hip and shoulder turn by restricting hips is going to cause some back problems down the line. Did anyone watch the Feherty with Louis? He specifically talks about this.

As danzur mentioned, I don't think a high school coach should have a problem if one of their players has a different swing coach. I think your best approach if you want to ignore her swing advice is to tell her exactly that. Tell her Ryan has a swing coach that he knows and trusts and that she would be much better served focusing her attention on his short game. This way the coach can still feel like she's contributing to his game and isn't being ignored and Ryan can still go with the better coach. Short game is really where scoring comes down to mostly anyway and those with a top notch short game are the best golfers (Jordan is a perfect example).

Funny you mention short game, now that I think about my son's 4 years of high school practices it was 90+% of putting and chipping anyway. His first practice as a freshman was 2 hours of putts inside of 10 feet, mostly inside of 5. He was thrilled :), but in hindsight it was dead solid perfect. Best use of time for sure.....

So there are others out there who can hook the ball 50 yards? ;)

My draw was much more controlled in high school. Since I haven't had a lesson in over 20 years, my swing has gotten--unruly.

I went to a high school of 100 kids (total). My junior and senior year, I was the golf team's swing coach because I was the only one getting lessons. :D

LOL, exactly. I went to a smaller school of just under 400 kids. My first two years our coach was the head pro at Valley CC, so he was a really good instructor and golfer. The last two years, the coach was whichever teacher who would get us tee times to practice etc and drive us for a free round of golf at tournaments. They shut the golf team down after my senior because I graduated lol, which isn't to say I was any good but I was the only one who took golf somewhat serious.

I sympathize with your brother for sure. A good golf coach sometimes, just needs to be a shuttle driver. Even D1 coaches won't step on other instructors shoes if their players have instructors elsewhere. In fact a good coach will be in communication with those instructors and working side by side versus offering opposing advice. This is a conversation that will probably need to be had sooner than later. I don't see why it would burn any bridges with the coach. She should be aware that players will usually have an instructor and that scores determine who plays and who doesn't. These are very basic principles that most coaches follow, or I would assume follow.

Disregard.

I sometimes think that this thread may have gotten too big, too unwieldy. But then I look at the MD/VA/DC golfers thread. They are up to page 2087 after two years!

Carry on, gents.

Hola,

Does anyone know of an area wide aeration schedule?

Thanks! Hoping to play Sat or Sun somewhere good.

Callaway Epic Flash 9* 
Callaway Epic 3W 15*
Titleist 818 H1 19* 
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-iron 2* flat KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Srixon Z785 5-P 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff 1/4inch short
50 SM7 F Grind 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
54, 58 SM7 M Grind  2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Studio Select Laguna 2 33' 2*flat

Hola,

Does anyone know of an area wide aeration schedule?

Thanks! Hoping to play Sat or Sun somewhere good.

No, I have never heard of a place where courses post their schedules.

I would definitely ask though, as it appears most are punching a bit early and I would expect 80% of them will within the next two weeks.

Flatirons in boulder punched 3 weeks ago and my course, Colorado National punched Aug 28th and 29th. Nash did it so early because of the CU tournament we host in the middle of September also.

I would recommend just asking when you call.

Give her a full spa day. Done.

To be extra romantic, pay for her Lyft to/from the spa.

My mom was in town all last week.

My girlfriend is in town now.

I haven't golfed since the 26th, and I probably won't be able to golf again until the 23rd. I don't like this.

I love golf, and I don't like having a month without playing... but having your long distance girlfriend in from out of town, *certainly* you can find other, ahem... activities, to do that are just as fun as golf :-)

I love golf, and I don't like having a month without playing... but having your long distance girlfriend in from out of town, *certainly* you can find other, ahem... activities, to do that are just as fun as golf :-)

Like Top Golf? Mini golf? Maybe a par 3 course?

Looks to me like Black Bear has not aerated this week....things look good out there....

Right.

Blackstone is aerating this week. Black Bear is 18-21 Sept.

Like Top Golf? Mini golf? Maybe a par 3 course?

All depends on what club you want to swing :P

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+