2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rule violation call at The Masters, win big - poll

8thehardway

Exactly my point. And they also do not appreciate anyone outside the circle posting there. It truly is a religion. One I have questioned the legitimacy of thrice now and receive no real response. But whatever. Things are about to change whether they like it or not. Public outrage will force it.

I, for one, hope they do. I love the game as much as anyone here but I'm not beholden to all of its antiquated traditions. The game itself has not done a good job of keeping up with the times. Change is overdue, so let's get on with it.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I voted $100 just to be a dick.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

A year ago Anna Nordqvist... Not much different from a fan calling in because golf rules are very detailed and even pros don't know them all....

Are you implying that Anna did not know the rule she was penalized on?

Not sure how you make that leap...

By saying the pros not knowing the rules.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

A year ago Anna Nordqvist... Not much different from a fan calling in because golf rules are very detailed and even pros don't know them all....

Did Dustin Johnson know he was in a bunker? Did Craig Stadler know he couldn't kneel on a towel? They didn't know they were breaking a rule till they were told...or someone else told an official.In her case she had no idea she touched the sand...she knew she couldn't but misjudged. I'm not sure something like that is the true spirit of the rule...a couple of moved grains would never affect a shot.

Did Dustin Johnson know he was in a bunker? Did Craig Stadler know he couldn't kneel on a towel? They didn't know they were breaking a rule till they were told...or someone else told an official

Pros don't even try to learn them, for the most part. It truly is mind boggling. Moving impediments or surface in your backswing can surely affect the the hitting area by clearing the way. This is the basis for that particular rule. A few grains of sand is a little ticky tacky I agree but that line is hard to draw.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Did Dustin Johnson know he was in a bunker? Did Craig Stadler know he couldn't kneel on a towel? They didn't know they were breaking a rule till they were told...or someone else told an official.In her case she had no idea she touched the sand...she knew she couldn't but misjudged.

Two different things, not knowing the rule and not knowing of breaking a rule.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Did Dustin Johnson know he was in a bunker? Did Craig Stadler know he couldn't kneel on a towel? They didn't know they were breaking a rule till they were told...or someone else told an official.In her case she had no idea she touched the sand...she knew she couldn't but misjudged. I'm not sure something like that is the true spirit of the rule...a couple of moved grains would never affect a shot.

It was posted in the COC for the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits that all of the bunkers were considered bunkers for the tournament. There are hundreds of bunkers off of the fairways on that course ands all of them were hazards. I understand that it was posted in the locker room as well. Johnson didn't bother to read the rules and got dinged for it. I was ready to call it in but I didn't have Slugger White's number at the time.

And forever till the end of time I'll call BS in that one . In what other event have fans ever been allllwed to stand in a bunker while a player hits from it ? The committee set that one up that week. Why on earth were bunkers outside the ropes ever deemed to be hazards ? Fans shouldn't be sitting in hazards. Wtf ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm sure DJ was well aware of the many bunkers all over that course, but lets be honest here. That bunker that he was dinged for had people walking all over it. It looked more like a waste area and it had enough dead grass in it to hide the fact that is was in fact a bunker in play. I understand that rules are in place for a reason, but lets face the fact that from the original 1 page of rules in the beginning, we now have have a book that looks like something from Harvard Law school. Rule xx para 2, sub para 3b. will only take action if rule xo, para 4, sub para 5a has not been amended to include rule xy para 7 appendix y....................and so on and so forth. Many rules have been changed recently, but IMO, the entire book needs to be overhauled and simplified. We need more common sense, not para legal rhetoric..........

Yeah why the gallery was all over the bunker I don't know, but DJ admitted to totally ignoring the CoC ..... of a MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP.

That's on him.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

Yeah why the gallery was all over the bunker I don't know, but DJ admitted to totally ignoring the CoC ..... of a MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP.

That's on him.

Whistling Straits is unique in that most of the holes are lined with bunkers in the rough, hundreds of them. We were there for the 2015 PGA Championship and with close to 50,000 people on the course there is no room to put them without having a lot of the bunkers outside the ropes. Even then it was shoulder to shoulder in most places.Johnson should have known he was in a bunker and his lie was good. He just shot himself in the foot. I went looking for that bunker when we were there but there was a grandstand over it in 2016.

I'm sure DJ was well aware of the many bunkers all over that course, but lets be honest here. That bunker that he was dinged for had people walking all over it. It looked more like a waste area and it had enough dead grass in it to hide the fact that is was in fact a bunker in play. I understand that rules are in place for a reason, but lets face the fact that from the original 1 page of rules in the beginning, we now have have a book that looks like something from Harvard Law school. Rule xx para 2, sub para 3b. will only take action if rule xo, para 4, sub para 5a has not been amended to include rule xy para 7 appendix y....................and so on and so forth. Many rules have been changed recently, but IMO, the entire book needs to be overhauled and simplified. We need more common sense, not para legal rhetoric..........

You are exaggerating a bit there. what is common sense to you may not be to someone else. Only one section of the rule book is relevant to most players. the rest is for committe, handicaps, club design etc...

People want an overhaul so that the rules are dumbed down to the point where you can do whatever you want. That's not what the game needs imo. Besides, most casual golfers don't follow the rules anyways, which I'm okay with mind you.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

That's on him.

Whistling Straits is unique in that most of the holes are lined with bunkers in the rough, hundreds of them. We were there for the 2015 PGA Championship and with close to 50,000 people on the course there is no room to put them without having a lot of the bunkers outside the ropes. Even then it was shoulder to shoulder in most places.Johnson should have known he was in a bunker and his lie was good. He just shot himself in the foot. I went looking for that bunker when we were there but there was a grandstand over it in 2016.

Never been there but the course seems like a Clown show for pro golf.

Shouldn't be able to in the first place, nor would i do it.

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

That's on him.

Such a clown show that it has hosted 3 PGA Championships, a US Senior Open and will host the Ryder Cup in 2020.

It a beautiful golf course. One of the true links style courses you will find in the US. Sand ,long fescue rough, Lake Michigan running along the length of the course. Just because one unfortunate situation happened to one popular player, which was entirely his fault, don't condemn the golf course.

That's on him.

Such a clown show that it has hosted 3 PGA Championships, a US Senior Open and will host the Ryder Cup in 2020.

It a beautiful golf course. One of the true links style courses you will find in the US. Sand ,long fescue rough, Lake Michigan running along the length of the course. Just because one unfortunate situation happened to one popular player, which was entirely his fault, don't condemn the golf course.

I say clown show for pro golf, because the venue is inadequate for PGA crowds without standing in bunkers.

I'd call it in for free. Not to gain fame or fortune and not because I'm a stickler for the rules. I'd call it in simply for the week or so of hilarious entertainment here on this forum.

some men just want to watch the world burn

We think it needs a good burnin!! Now get off my lawn, but could you program my VCR first?

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

You are exaggerating a bit there. what is common sense to you may not be to someone else. Only one section of the rule book is relevant to most players. the rest is for committe, handicaps, club design etc...

People want an overhaul so that the rules are dumbed down to the point where you can do whatever you want. That's not what the game needs imo. Besides, most casual golfers don't follow the rules anyways, which I'm okay with mind you.

I agree with almost everything you posted here. But, saying that golfers want to be able to do whatever they want without rules is a gross exaggeration. In my opinion it seems like the great majority of golfers simply want the rules to be more common sense. As opposed to the convoluted mess we have now that penalizes golfers for no reason other than "well that's how it's always been done." Or penalizes them because they are someone people enjoy watching so they are constantly on camera, or because some overzealous rules official wants to feel important. The rule book was made before we had the technology we do now, in the past being able to view a couple of grains of sand move was not possible. Though for that matter neither was watching golf on TV I guess

I really think if we want to grow the game we need to make the rules a bit more common sense. It wouldn't require big changes either.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

I'd like to take this time to self report a rules violation. Well many of them actually.

I will occasionally use a foot wedge. As in every time I'm behind a tree.

I don't believe in a bad lie in the fairway. You should be rewarded for finding it. They're pretty rare after all and I swear that they don't exist on some holes.

If I swing and miss, or the ball doesn't move very far, or if I hit a bad shot, I'll pretend that that stroke doesn't exist. I like to play with a short memory after all. Isn't that what they suggest?

As a follow up to not believing in a bad lie in the fairway, I also don't believe in a bad lie in the rough. It's much more fun and it can actually reward a player like me that generates a ton of spin to miss those pesky fairways. I should be rewarded for developing a swing that generates a lot of spin after all.

Bunkers are only a hazard if you leave your ball in them. I don't. Who the heck thought that placing all that sand on a nice course was a good idea?

I fully believe in "gimme" putts. Since I certainly don't believe in three putts, the second putt is always a gimme. This is also the reason that I like to putt from well off the green. I've even been known to play it off the tee on par 5's. Double eagles will really help your score look good. I only use this strategy when I really need it. Typically only once or twice a nine.

All that said, if I mark a ball on the green you can best bet that I will replace it EXACTLY where I took it from. Shame on anyone that misses this mark by more than a dimple or two. Let's keep this game fair and play with some class people!

(Now let's see if my sarcasm is well received or not)

poll above is pretty telling of how people feel on this

Agreed. But post that same pole in the Rules forum and it would probably >90% would call it in for free. Some of those guys seem to love the rules more than golf itself, especially the minutia that has no material impact on the outcome of a shot. It's almost like a religion to them and to speak poorly of the rules or USGA is like blasphemy.

I think they love quoting rules because it makes them sound smarter than everyone else.

Agreed. But post that same pole in the Rules forum and it would probably >90% would call it in for free. Some of those guys seem to love the rules more than golf itself, especially the minutia that has no material impact on the outcome of a shot. It's almost like a religion to them and to speak poorly of the rules or USGA is like blasphemy.

I think they love quoting rules because it makes them sound smarter than everyone else.

I'm new here and haven't had the chance to visit the rules forum yet. I guess I'm going to have to now. I bet my dry sense of humor and chain yanking will be well received there.

what is frustrating is that there is a lot of misinformation out there. And when people strut around clamorimg that the rules are stupid when they don't even know rule can be counterproductive.

Most people there are more than willing to help. Quoting the rules allows us to learn them and where to find them. But just like in this forum there are some trolls.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

what is frustrating is that there is a lot of misinformation out there. And when people strut around clamorimg that the rules are stupid when they don't even know rule can be counterproductive.

Most people there are more than willing to help. Quoting the rules allows us to learn them and where to find them. But just like in this forum there are some trolls.

There a number of very helpful people in the rules forum. I've learned a lot by reading. However any criticism of the rules is often perceived as blasphemy.

Any proposals for change that require common sense is like asking Sheldon Cooper to use common sense.

Then if these rules gurus/gods are going to take the time to educate themselves on the rules to that degree, when everyone in golf knows that to truly understand the intricacies of said rules takes lots of time, then don't sound like and talk to people like a complete dick as many, many of the rules know it alls do on this site. I've said that in another thread or two, and now several other people have spoken up saying similar. If you learn the rules to that level, then it would be a much better thing for the game to learn how to talk to people and help educate others on the rules, since they are by no means simple to understand, or honest even make sense most of the time.