2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Oldest Club(s) on Tour in 2017

I was just trying to kill sometime, and I was surfing through WITB list. I came accross D.A. Points' 2017 Bag (that is still accurate as of 03/27.) I have to say, I've never watched him play much, so I don't know about what his normal club selections are, but he's got an odd mixture of clubs in that bag...

2016 M2 Driver

Taylormade Burner TP 3w (this was the one that threw me off, as it was originally released in 2007)

And a mixture of Taylormade SLDRs (4-6) and Ping i5s (7-Pw)

Anybody else know of a Tour player currently bagging a club that most golfers (not us) would consider ancient?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just trying to kill sometime, and I was surfing through WITB list. I came accross D.A. Points' 2017 Bag (that is still accurate as of 03/27.) I have to say, I've never watched him play much, so I don't know about what his normal club selections are, but he's got an odd mixture of clubs in that bag...

2016 M2 Driver

Taylormade Burner TP 3w (this was the one that threw me off, as it was originally released in 2007)

And a mixture of Taylormade SLDRs (4-6) and Ping i5s (7-Pw)

Anybody else know of a Tour player currently bagging a club that most golfers (not us) would consider ancient?

There's lots of them. McDowell still plays a couple of old Adams hybrids. Zack Johson is still using the putter he won the Masters with in 2007.

There are quite a few old clubs gracing bags on the Champions Tour. Freddie Couples was still gaming a Callaway Squareway 5W this spring. Langer still had a few old Hogan long irons in his bag as recently as a couple of years ago.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Remember when?

- Johnny Miller won the '73 U.S. Open playing those 1949 MAC TA SS 915T irons (2-7) and with MAC TA persimmon woods from the 1940's and 1950's along with all those other West coast events in 1974?

- Jack Nicklaus won all those majors and tournaments in the 60s, 70s and early 80s using his beloved 1954/55 MAC TA 945 EOM driver and early '50s MAC TA 693 3 wood along with a late 1950's Sportsmans Geo Low Wizard 600 putter until 1986?

Did these 2 players alone prove that it was the INDIAN and NOT the ARROW that made the difference?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Remember when?

- Johnny Miller won the '73 U.S. Open playing those 1949 MAC TA SS 915T irons (2-7) and with MAC TA persimmon woods from the 1940's and 1950's along with all those other West coast events in 1974?

- Jack Nicklaus won all those majors and tournaments in the 60s, 70s and early 80s using his beloved 1954/55 MAC TA 945 EOM driver and early '50s MAC TA 693 3 wood along with a late 1950's Sportsmans Geo Low Wizard 600 putter until 1986?

Did these 2 players alone prove that it was the INDIAN and NOT the ARROW that made the difference?

I get what you're saying-- but do you think when those players were using older equipment at the time that it made much of a difference compared to what else was out there? Was there really significantly better equipment available than what they were choosing to use?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I get what you're saying-- but do you think when those players were using older equipment at the time that it made much of a difference compared to what else was out there? Was there really significantly better equipment available than what they were choosing to use?

Nope, and for the most part that's still true today outside of the Drivers and Golf Balls themselves.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Nope, and for the most part that's still true today outside of the Drivers and Golf Balls themselves.

I agree... and current ten year old equipment is good enough to win on tour without question. Even if you take the #1 ranked player in the world right now, DJ, he's basically playing old tech throughout most of his bag. His irons are blades with X100's with little to no technology... sure they're more forgiving than blades of 30 years ago but that's it...

Tiger dominated the tour for years with "out-dated" tech... blades with weak lofts, old tech X100's and basically won hitting a 100+ gram 3 wood off every tee. Hell, he won an Open Championship hitting an original Nike blade 2 iron bent a little strong off every tee as a driving club for everything but 4 tee shots that week.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I agree... and current ten year old equipment is good enough to win on tour without question. Even if you take the #1 ranked player in the world right now, DJ, he's basically playing old tech throughout most of his bag. His irons are blades with X100's with little to no technology... sure they're more forgiving than blades of 30 years ago but that's it...

Tiger dominated the tour for years with "out-dated" tech... blades with weak lofts, old tech X100's and basically won hitting a 100+ gram 3 wood off every tee. Hell, he won an Open Championship hitting an original Nike blade 2 iron bent a little strong off every tee as a driving club for everything but 4 tee shots that week.

So, what does this all prove???

That it's NOT the ARROWS that separate the WINNERS from the LOSERS, it's WHO is the INDIAN.

When Tiger went on his rampage, it wasn't the clubs that made him the golfer he was, it was HIS desire to WIN and his YEARS of preparation.

Same thing with DJ. Their dominance is internal and physical, not caused by brand X, brand Y or brand Z in their bag.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Interesting thread. I'd say that current tech has closed the gap between the great and the very good.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Interesting thread. I'd say that current tech has closed the gap between the great and the very good.

That's because the penalty for a mis-hit is being eliminated from the game...this will NOT make you a better golfer. It will merely reduce your frustration and keep you mediocre at best.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

That's because the penalty for a mis-hit is being eliminated from the game...this will NOT make you a better golfer. It will merely reduce your frustration and keep you mediocre at best.

... and potentially allow those with slightly lesser skill to compete with those of greater skill.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

You can trace the introduction to technology in golf to two things, Ping, and the TaylorMade MW. Before that there really wasnt a lot you could do with a block of wood or a buttle knife. Didnt matter that the clubs were 40 years old because they weren't a lot different.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9°@11° Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
Cobra King Tour 5-G Project X LS120 6.0  

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

As far as great players like DJ basically you could shaft up one of my sets of 40+ year old macs to his specs and there would be little change in his ball striking capabilities if any. On irons and clubs in general the shaft technology and ball technology is the big thing. Look at the basic muscle design of his TM blades not much difference between them than any muscle blade made maybe 30 years ago. The steel used in todays clubs may be different properties and different processes in forging but the basic design is still there. Now forged CCBs with jacked lofts that is another mousetrap all together and I will not get into the COG things either.

My wife and I were in the PGASS one day browsing killing time. I was looking at the newer TM TP blades. My wife commented that they were beautiful. One of the sales folks was there and was trying to make a sale. I told him I have about 6 full sets at home except they were 30 years old or older and had Macgregor stamped on them and either VIP or Jack Nicklaus on the back. This kid did not get it at all. I told my wife I am too frigging old

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Now it is less about the raw material, it is not the same. Unless there is a worldwide squeeze on titanium or the governing bodies restrict technology, newer will generally be better. Maybe only incrementally and I am sceptical of the amount of technological advances being made, but still a difference.

As my learned friend says, it makes very little difference for the guys we see on television. They could play anything, but that wouldn't sell the new shiney-shineys to the twelve handicappers would it?

Now it is less about the raw material, it is not the same. Unless there is a worldwide squeeze on titanium or the governing bodies restrict technology, newer will generally be better. Maybe only incrementally and I am sceptical of the amount of technological advances being made, but still a difference.

As my learned friend says, it makes very little difference for the guys we see on television. They could play anything, but that wouldn't sell the new shiney-shineys to the twelve handicappers would it?

You are correct on the "glitz" Marketing 101 at it's finest. I have had several people look at some of the stuff in my various bags that has been rechromed thinking it was brand new. I had the VIPs that Mitch sent me the other day out on the range and they are pristine to say the least. This tourist golfer with mostly new shiney TM stuff was looking and said "Oh those are new aren't they? so Macgregor is back making clubs?" I said yeah about 35 years ago. I have had kids at the range and I do not fault them because they do not know better say "When did they start making woods out of real wood?" My favorite is some folks even old timers will say "Why in the world are you hitting those blades and wood woods?" Trust me I love it when I am able to tell them "Because I still CAN!"

You are correct on the "glitz" Marketing 101 at it's finest. I have had several people look at some of the stuff in my various bags that has been rechromed thinking it was brand new. I had the VIPs that Mitch sent me the other day out on the range and they are pristine to say the least. This tourist golfer with mostly new shiney TM stuff was looking and said "Oh those are new aren't they? so Macgregor is back making clubs?" I said yeah about 35 years ago. I have had kids at the range and I do not fault them because they do not know better say "When did they start making woods out of real wood?" My favorite is some folks even old timers will say "Why in the world are you hitting those blades and wood woods?" Trust me I love it when I am able to tell them "Because I still CAN!"

Thank you! I will remember this the next time someone says something about my choice in clubs. :superman:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You can trace the introduction to technology in golf to two things, Ping, and the TaylorMade MW. Before that there really wasnt a lot you could do with a block of wood or a buttle knife. Didnt matter that the clubs were 40 years old because they weren't a lot different.

You could also add to that list the first 400cc driver, which I believe was the Integra 400. Prior to that, the big names weren't doing much to stretch driver size, but when the component jumbos started selling, they HAD to get on that wagon.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Thank you! I will remember this the next time someone says something about my choice in clubs. :superman:

As any good OGA member would--- remember the OGA revolt is not only against the USGA but golfing "society" in general. Kinda like when I was riding and messing with Harleys mine were always primered and "ratty" opposed to the Yuppies that were all spit and polish. Favorite saying in those days was "Chrome won't get you home" The same with golf clubs and shiny bags etc IMHO. Horrified some guy today at the club. I had a newer (gasp! actually conforming) Cleveland CG-15 56* wedge. It is darn near new and again I do not recall where and when I got it. Sharp legal grooves. One problem it had 14* of bounce. I do not use or need that much bounce. Stu Solution take the side grinder to it and contour the sole and bounce to MY liking and specs. This guy saw it and said that is a pretty new CG-15 "MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SOLE?" I told him I custom ground it to my liking because it was not worth a sh*t like it was. Hit good today. Measured it down to about 8* of bounce which is good for me. I told him I also have a big flanged 588 in my stash that I did the same thing to. I will take a grinder to the sole of a wedge in a heartbeat to get it like I want it. No apologies period

As any good OGA member would--- remember the OGA revolt is not only against the USGA but golfing "society" in general. Kinda like when I was riding and messing with Harleys mine were always primered and "ratty" opposed to the Yuppies that were all spit and polish. Favorite saying in those days was "Chrome won't get you home" The same with golf clubs and shiny bags etc IMHO. Horrified some guy today at the club. I had a newer (gasp! actually conforming) Cleveland CG-15 56* wedge. It is darn near new and again I do not recall where and when I got it. Sharp legal grooves. One problem it had 14* of bounce. I do not use or need that much bounce. Stu Solution take the side grinder to it and contour the sole and bounce to MY liking and specs. This guy saw it and said that is a pretty new CG-15 "MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SOLE?" I told him I custom ground it to my liking because it was not worth a sh*t like it was. Hit good today. Measured it down to about 8* of bounce which is good for me. I told him I also have a big flanged 588 in my stash that I did the same thing to. I will take a grinder to the sole of a wedge in a heartbeat to get it like I want it. No apologies period

But would you drill into an iron, Stu, to take weight out?

Well, in fairness to Ping there are LOT of 35 year old Eye 2's still in play.

If it wasn't for pay for play contracts and the ridiculous groove rule there would be heaps of older clubs still being played on the various tours. Now that's not to suggest that we'd still see guys playing older Hogan irons and Macgregor woods. Stuff wears out and there have been performance advances, but not necessarily to the degree that the OEM's advertisements suggest. Sure you can measure it, but that doesn't mean that it's going to be material to your score or cumulative over time.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

If it wasn't for pay for play contracts and the ridiculous groove rule there would be heaps of older clubs still being played on the various tours. Now that's not to suggest that we'd still see guys playing older Hogan irons and Macgregor woods. Stuff wears out and there have been performance advances, but not necessarily to the degree that the OEM's advertisements suggest. Sure you can measure it, but that doesn't mean that it's going to be material to your score or cumulative over time.

BINGO!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

But would you drill into an iron, Stu, to take weight out?

Me taking weight out? Surely you jest my friend. I have yet seen anything I have had to take the weight out of but truthfully if I needed to I would in a heart beat. I have drilled some big flanged wedges wedges in the past that

were light weight and drilled holes sorta like the new Callys and melted lead wheel weights into them. I still have a small lead melting pot like the old school

fishermen used to make their own fishing weights. Come to think of it that darn thing is more than likely a real antique over 50 years old at least. Yep I will do a needed mod in a heartbeat

And guess what if they were "conforming" you would still see a lot of them on all Tours. For some reason those darn things do not wear out except BECU ones. There are a lot of older guys down here that play all Eye 2 irons. One guy has played the same set for at least 30 years and he plays 4 or 5 times a week and they are not worn hardly at all. That is really saying something down here.

And guess what if they were "conforming" you would still see a lot of them on all Tours. For some reason those darn things do not wear out except BECU ones. There are a lot of older guys down here that play all Eye 2 irons. One guy has played the same set for at least 30 years and he plays 4 or 5 times a week and they are not worn hardly at all. That is really saying something down here.

There are lots of examples of superior engineering and made in America quality that are still in action today decades after introduction. The Ping Eye 2 is the golf equivalent of an American made John Deere, especially the ones they made in the 60's. My neighbour is an avowed John Deere man. That's all he has ever owned with probably a half dozen tractors in service from an early 60's 3010 to a 90's era 4455. He has a 1967 4020 on a TMR mixer that runs everyday twice a day. Probably has 35000 hours on it and still runs like a top!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

There are lots of examples of superior engineering and made in America quality that are still in action today decades after introduction. The Ping Eye 2 is the golf equivalent of an American made John Deere, especially the ones they made in the 60's. My neighbour is an avowed John Deere man. That's all he has ever owned with probably a half dozen tractors in service from an early 60's 3010 to a 90's era 4455. He has a 1967 4020 on a TMR mixer that runs everyday twice a day. Probably has 35000 hours on it and still runs like a top!

I like those two cylinder Deere tractors that have the big flywheel on the side. They sound like a Harley to me--- The guys down here at the tractor shows call the "putt putts" for some reason. I used to go to the Old Time Thresher's Reunion in Richfield/New London NC every year. I am as big of a equipment junkie when it comes to machines and old airplanes as I am on golf equipment

I like those two cylinder Deere tractors that have the big flywheel on the side. They sound like a Harley to me--- The guys down here at the tractor shows call the "putt putts" for some reason. I used to go to the Old Time Thresher's Reunion in Richfield/New London NC every year. I am as big of a equipment junkie when it comes to machines and old airplanes as I am on golf equipment

John Deere two cylinder = Fire, Fire, Miss, Miss thereby giving a very nice sound to it. Putt Putt, my friend.