Golfers and Lawn Care

wcm115

There seems to be a connection between the two. A lot of the guys at my course think they know more than the Super :rolleyes: and are not afraid to voice their "suggestions". Anyways, the main two forums I frequent are Here and Thelawnforum.com

Anyone else just enjoy the sight of well manicured grass?

Complete Overhaul In Progress (might be epic)
Iblades 3-pw px 6.0
Vokey SM5 50*
MD2 56* and 60*
Rife Iconic
Bushnell Pro X7
b330s

"I read greens on a 3rd Grade Level"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I enjoy a well manicured lawn. I like taking care of my grass especially. I'm not all that great at it, but I'm also too cheap to spend a ton of money on it so often times it is not watered enough. Living in the desert I have to overseed every year and the transitional periods make the lawn look like a small disaster. That, and I don't have a ton of time to mow so I only do it about once a week and the lawn doesn't respond very well to that.

RBZ Stage 2 Tour Driver Adjusted to 10.5*
RBZ Stage 2, 3 tour Hybrid Adjusted to 17*
Titleist CB712 3-PW
Titleist Vokey 56* wedge
Nike Method Core 4 Putter

any advice on how to get rid of creeping charlie in Ontario where we are not allowed to use pesticides?

I'm no expert, but I would mow heavily for two weeks (meaning once a day or every other day), feed the grass with nitrogen, and water regularly. Scotts turf builder is good, not sure if this is considered a pesticide in Canada or not. Basically encourage the grass to grow more so it chokes out the weeds.

RBZ Stage 2 Tour Driver Adjusted to 10.5*
RBZ Stage 2, 3 tour Hybrid Adjusted to 17*
Titleist CB712 3-PW
Titleist Vokey 56* wedge
Nike Method Core 4 Putter

not too much but i like a clean looking lawn. i had to add sod to a good section of my backyard after grub-worms ate it up right before winter. i let it go knowing i was going to re-do it. slowly the rest of the yard is coming along. the front i'm struggling with. i have a huge oak tree that sheds like a mother so i think it suffocated a lot over fall/winter and even still. hard to get all the leafs out but i'm working at it. also, my irrigation system stopped working so i have to open each station manually from the valve so that's another reason why some of the grass went down hill. along with my daughter being born - everything went on the back-burner for a while.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

any advice on how to get rid of creeping charlie in Ontario where we are not allowed to use pesticides?

Pesticides or herbicides? (or both)

No clue how to control it organically. Luckily we do not have those types of restrictions where I live. I use a product call Celsius WG, which will take out most of the weeds (I have bermuda grass). I have heard of people using some types of vinegar solutions for organic control.

On another note, Grip solvent kills grass (found out the hard way). Might try to mist some of that stuff on it.

Iblades 3-pw px 6.0
Vokey SM5 50*
MD2 56* and 60*
Rife Iconic
Bushnell Pro X7
b330s

No clue how to control it organically. Luckily we do not have those types of restrictions where I live. I use a product call Celsius WG, which will take out most of the weeds (I have bermuda grass). I have heard of people using some types of vinegar solutions for organic control.

On another note, Grip solvent kills grass (found out the hard way). Might try to mist some of that stuff on it.

+1 for Celsius. Worth the money.

The easiest advice is to mow tall. Taller than you think is normal. People who like fairway lawns are the devil.

And use Milorganite ;)

G400 LST 10* Tour 65x
G400 15.5* Tour 75x
G30 19* Tour 90x
Z785 X100 4-9
SM7 46.10F/50.08F/54.08M/60.8M
MCC plus4 mid
Kingston KP1 GSS w/ Pingman
Srixon Z star XV

When I have my own place I will make sure my lawn never creeps below 11 on the stimp

yeah... we all say that until you have to spend your free time doing meaningful things.

You sound like me before I got married and started doing my own lawn maintenance. It is amazing how little time you have with a full time job and golf addiction (and I dont even have kids yet.)

That being said, there are alot of people that have lawns like that, but just be prepared to mow 3 times a week and spend some serious time/money on it. I have not quite gone to the reel mower yet, but I like to keep it cut at around an inch. If you want to know how good it can look and the process for getting it nice, I recommend the forum I mentioned in the first post.

Iblades 3-pw px 6.0
Vokey SM5 50*
MD2 56* and 60*
Rife Iconic
Bushnell Pro X7
b330s

When I have my own place I will make sure my lawn never creeps below 11 on the stimp

yeah... we all say that until you have to spend your free time doing meaningful things.

You sound like me before I got married and started doing my own lawn maintenance. It is amazing how little time you have with a full time job and golf addiction (and I dont even have kids yet.)

That being said, there are alot of people that have lawns like that, but just be prepared to mow 3 times a week and spend some serious time/money on it. I have not quite gone to the reel mower yet, but I like to keep it cut at around an inch. If you want to know how good it can look and the process for getting it nice, I recommend the forum I mentioned in the first post.

Yep.... When your kids being a little ***** no one says... well at least he has a nice lawn LOL

I might have been a little mean with the whole "meaningful things" but even before my daughter there was no time to keep a lawn like that. Work, golf, sleep, grocery shopping, upkeep on the house, honey do list, etc etc it becomes... I'll just enjoy that at the golf course. Then you have a neighbor who doesn't upkeep their lawn and you're totally screwed.

We use vinegar to kill weeds and moss on the back patio (brick pavers). Works if you apply a few times.

My wife hates herbicides but allows me to spot spray 2-4-D in the front yard away from the well.

Edit: And mowing high is your friend. I'm usually at 2.75"-3". Lush. Chokes out weeds.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I usually try to follow what the local CC does. When they punch their fairways, I punch my lawn. When they fertilize, I fertilize. I figure their place looks pretty good, so if I follow their schedule mine might to. It also serves as a good reminder as to when I need to do the maintenance again. I've never been very good at keeping a calendar or journal. I used to keep the backyard up just as nice, but my neighbor didn't do **** to their yard. They had some 4 foot tall weeds growing back there so it was next to impossible to keep the weeds out of my yard. Now that the kids are old enough to have those hideous big plastic play sets the back yard is getting destroyed. It's nice to be able to just focus on the front yard and save some time. One product that I like to use to get some nice green grass that I haven't heard mentioned yet here is Ironite.

To say I'm obsessed with my lawn may be an understatement. I mow it 3 times a week and hand water it when needed. I try to keep it at 12mm in height which is about half an inch or fairway height. I've been using a Gardena lithium reel mower for the past 7 years but am thinking of upgrading to something with more reels to get a more uniform cut. Probably keep the Gardena one more year though.

To say I'm obsessed with my lawn may be an understatement. I mow it 3 times a week and hand water it when needed. I try to keep it at 12mm in height which is about half an inch or fairway height. I've been using a Gardena lithium reel mower for the past 7 years but am thinking of upgrading to something with more reels to get a more uniform cut. Probably keep the Gardena one more year though.

ever try to make a green? That looks amazing!

ever try to make a green? That looks amazing!

Not yet as my mower doesn't go low enough. However depending on what I upgrade to next year I may rip this all out and bring in a ton of gravel/dirt/sand mixture and put in a proper green.

As I told the scotts folks after the umpteen unsolicited call about lawn care. It's grass it'll grow back. And It does.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

• 2 weeks later...

Grass..one of my favorite subjects. Mildy obsessed with my lawn but just don't have the time to maintain 3x a week as I would like and doesn't help that my yard is 3/4 of an acre. The front yard is princess 77 Bermuda, half the back is Celebration Bermuda and the rest is a seeded blend of Princess and LaPaloma Bermuda. I can maintain it to about 1.25-1.5 inches once a week mowing with a rotary zero turn but if I had my way it would be a gang unit reel mower but the "general" would never approve that. Overall its a nice lawn but I'm just constantly battling weeds and my neighbors invasive lawns. Bahia on the left and st augustine on the right. I hate those grasses and for the life of me never understood why anyone would have Bahia as a lawn..it's a Cow pasture grass and propagates by seed like rabbits. And since the EPA banned MSMA (the Bermuda grass wonder herbicide) I'm having a hell of a time keeping those degenerate grasses out of my lawn. 2x a year application with MSMA killed everything but Bermuda. Now I've got to use weed and feed with atrazine, quinclorac and dicambra herbicides at several applications a year to control. Yes, this is better than MSMA because? I also have self installed an underground sprinkler system for the entire lawn just to keep my babies from thirst (even though we get about 50" of rain here a year). I even give my lawn beer once a year and mow stripes occasionally. I've even gone through such extreme measures as killing my entire front lawn with roundup and replanting a "better" Bermuda. If I had the time, money, and support I'd be measuring my accomplishments with a stimpmeter. All this only to have my wife comment about one of the neighbors lawns how "nice" it is. It's frikin centipede!!!

I like a nice yard...not completely obsessed, but I do take advantage of a couple of course sup's that I know to make sure I do the right things at the right times. Minimal investment in terms of time and money-- less than two hours a week to maintain, and one 50lb bag of fert per application four times a year-although I did spend money on a good mower. (See The Lawn Mower Thread below for details on that.)

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I keep our lawn tidy but nothing like a golf course. I admire those whose efforts produce fine lawns, and maybe when retirement comes I'll make the effort. For now, I'd rather play more golf.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G