Let's talk about your in season workout routine

1 gram of protein per lb of lean mass is a better ratio to shoot for with your protein intake. If you're using total body weight then go for .75g of protein for each lb of body weight, not 1 for 1.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wendlers 5/3/1 and I find it challenging in the gym but it allows for good recovery. I don't change anything during the season. Probably because after doing the big lift(squat,bench, dead, overhead press) each day the assistance lifts compliment the main lift and usually work another part of the body. Very different and much better than the typical bro split.

Perhaps we need to get an idea of what type and volume of accessory/additional lifts you are doing each day. That's probably where the problem lies. Swapping some of them up with other days will probably fix your issues

I checked out the Wendlers 5/3/1 plan and it looks really intriguing. I may look into starting that up. Looks fairly easy to follow.

I do Wendlers 5/3/1 and it's awesome my legs have gotten way stronger giving me a solid base, not just for golf but also for my job (I stand for work) also recovery is better then anything else I've done and that's squatting up to 325lbs

Hey y'all, I'm a former club pro who is now a personal trainer. I'm also an accomplished player. 98% of the clients I train are golf fitness/functional. I break down my program below.

Proper golf skills training has 3 main elements :

• Core/Lower Body Strength

• Functional Swing Training

• Mobility

Core/Lower Body Strength: Targeted exercises for the transverse and rectus abdominus, and internal/external obliques will play a huge role in posture and stability throughout the golf swing. Also, targeted exercises for the posterior chain will help stabilize the body during the swing and help to prevent early extension many of which you are already doing (deadlifts, kettle bell swings, squats).

Functional Swing Training: Building body awareness of movement patterns layered on top of strength exercises. Static and dynamic swings along with tempo swings. Coordination drills that increase awareness with shaft and sweet spot of club.

Mobility: Encompassing natural movement patterns, thoracic spine mobility, joint mobilization, pre round warmup, post round recovery, and playing with injuries.

My players have seen and felt amazing results with my targeted program. PM me if you are interested in what my program entails and I can send you some workouts. You can do the exercises at home and/or on the range. Anyone who is interested can PM me as well. I have workouts for all skill levels of players and/or specific areas that need improvement.

Alright. I picked up some BCAA (cheap can from Walmart). Hit up the legs and abs yesterday and am supposed to play after work today. I took some after the workout yesterday, and this morning for good measure. We will see if it helps. I also made sure to get 20 minutes on the stair stepper after my workout and a good amount of stretching. The only issue with that is I ended up being there for about an hour and 20 minutes. Didn't get home till almost 11:30.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Alright. I picked up some BCAA (cheap can from Walmart). Hit up the legs and abs yesterday and am supposed to play after work today. I took some after the workout yesterday, and this morning for good measure. We will see if it helps. I also made sure to get 20 minutes on the stair stepper after my workout and a good amount of stretching. The only issue with that is I ended up being there for about an hour and 20 minutes. Didn't get home till almost 11:30.

Set up your weight workouts more efficiently. 30-40 minutes of weights is easily enough time when you utilize your time efficiently. Superset 2-3 exercises without resting and then rest a minute and go through them again.

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

Set up your weight workouts more efficiently. 30-40 minutes of weights is easily enough time when you utilize your time efficiently. Superset 2-3 exercises without resting and then rest a minute and go through them again.

Think I touched on that earlier but didn't dive too deep into it. Supersets are the way to go. No need in the 2 min+ break in between sets and exercises IMO. Granted, I'm trying to get leaner and more athletic as opposed to bigger but I can't see why you wouldn't want the same thing for golf

Think I touched on that earlier but didn't dive too deep into it. Supersets are the way to go. No need in the 2 min+ break in between sets and exercises IMO. Granted, I'm trying to get leaner and more athletic as opposed to bigger but I can't see why you wouldn't want the same thing for golf

That is my approach. I didn't go crazy. And actually had about 40 minutes with weights. I started with a mile run, then did a rotation of goblet squats, dumb bell lunges, and planks. After 3 sets of each I switched to calf raises, leg press, and wood chopper oblique twist on that pulley contraption :) Then I did 3 sets of another oblique workout and did stretching between each set of those. I stretched the legs a bit, then did the stair stepper, and finished the night with 10 minutes of stretching.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I skimmed the thread so sorry if it has been said already, but, after each workout I foam roll the muscles that I worked that day. Combining the foam roller and general stretching after my workouts has drastically cut down on soreness and loss of mobility from my workouts. My splits are legs, push, pull (deadlifts included in pull day) and occasionally my fourth day is arms/core. If you can swing it, try lifting early morning. That's when I lift and I find doing it then and finishing with my foam roller/stretching leads to almost 0 impact on my evening rounds, as long as I've been getting enough sleep. I also find it much easier to fall asleep at night when I do early morning gym sessions.

I skimmed the thread so sorry if it has been said already, but, after each workout I foam roll the muscles that I worked that day. Combining the foam roller and general stretching after my workouts has drastically cut down on soreness and loss of mobility from my workouts. My splits are legs, push, pull (deadlifts included in pull day) and occasionally my fourth day is arms/core. If you can swing it, try lifting early morning. That's when I lift and I find doing it then and finishing with my foam roller/stretching leads to almost 0 impact on my evening rounds, as long as I've been getting enough sleep. I also find it much easier to fall asleep at night when I do early morning gym sessions.

Yeah, I had a heck of a time sleeping last night. I typically feel fine the same day, and a little stiff the day after a workout. The biggest issue is the 2nd day. That's when things start to really tighten up a lot. Especially with the legs.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Yeah, I had a heck of a time sleeping last night. I typically feel fine the same day, and a little stiff the day after a workout. The biggest issue is the 2nd day. That's when things start to really tighten up a lot. Especially with the legs.

Foam rolling will help with the day after soreness, a lot.

It does help, but it never gets me feeling golf ready. I will continue it and hopefully with the added cardio and BCAA, things will get a little easier.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

It does help, but it never gets me feeling golf ready. I will continue it and hopefully with the added cardio and BCAA, things will get a little easier.

Adding cardio will not help the delayed onset muscle soreness to go away. It goes away over time as your body adapts. Protein, hydration, stretching and rolling will alleviate it in the short term as much as possible.

Either way you won't be golf ready and warmed up rolling to the course 10 minutes before your tee time and hit a couple balls. Active warm-up at home(body weight squats, lunges, shoulder warm ups, stretching, rolling) then head to course and give your body time to get fully warmed up.

Piretti Savona 

Adding cardio will not help the delayed onset muscle soreness to go away. It goes away over time as your body adapts. Protein, hydration, stretching and rolling will alleviate it in the short term as much as possible.

Either way you won't be golf ready and warmed up rolling to the course 10 minutes before your tee time and hit a couple balls. Active warm-up at home(body weight squats, lunges, shoulder warm ups, stretching, rolling) then head to course and give your body time to get fully warmed up.

I guess the cardio I was referring to was at the end of the workout. From what I have read/heard is that should help cut down on how sore I get. And that is the balance I try to strike. Finding the time to get to play is one thing. Finding the time to adequately warm up before hand is another. But, I have noticed a drastic improvement in my lower back this season. It doesn't get nearly as sore. It is definitely worth finding the right combination for my body and my game. I can't just stop working out to save my game. I'll have to find a way to make it work through trial and error.

The responses in this thread have been a huge help in understanding what others do to prepare their bodies for weight lifting and golf. I wish there were more fitness threads here.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

As a 62 year old who plays to a 4 hdcp and still walks/carries his own bag my lifesaver has been rowing- specifically the Concept 2 rowing machine. I don't hit the weights like i used to but extended stretching, some core work (planks/roman chair) and lots of rowing have me longer than I ever was.

The Concept 2 seems ideal for the golf muscles and I cannot recommend it enough. Get one in your house for ease/convenience and you won't regret it. I have two buds who now own/use one based on my recommendation and....they were tired of being 20 yards behind me in the fairway.

Well, I have to say, I played 9 holes after work with no pre-round warmup. Had to basically run to the tee box and hit. I get done with work at 5 and that's when our small league's tee times start. But, I was not all that sore. Especially after the first 2 holes. By then I was swinging pretty freely. I still had a little stiffness, but it didn't seem to effect my golf swing.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I live in Texas, so it's always "in-season" training.

For strength training, I'd echo earlier comments about not lifting to your max. Focus on sets from 75% to 50% and never meet muscular exhaustion. We're not trying to be the next World Strongman here...

When I'm really focusing on golf, I tend more towards metabolic conditioning sets (increased intensity, reduced weight) that blend bodyweight and resistance movements for 7-20 min (there's a brand name for this that I'll omit to avoid any preconceived notions). Obviously, as golfers we're much more conscious about our shoulder health than most, so avoid any "kipping" movements entirely - that's just plain stupid.

Finally, I take at least 30min post-workout for mobility and cool down. That typically remove the lactic buildup and prevents any soreness the next day. I also drink a TON of water.

I live in Texas, so it's always "in-season" training.

For strength training, I'd echo earlier comments about not lifting to your max. Focus on sets from 75% to 50% and never meet muscular exhaustion. We're not trying to be the next World Strongman here...

When I'm really focusing on golf, I tend more towards metabolic conditioning sets (increased intensity, reduced weight) that blend bodyweight and resistance movements for 7-20 min (there's a brand name for this that I'll omit to avoid any preconceived notions). Obviously, as golfers we're much more conscious about our shoulder health than most, so avoid any "kipping" movements entirely - that's just plain stupid.

Finally, I take at least 30min post-workout for mobility and cool down. That typically remove the lactic buildup and prevents any soreness the next day. I also drink a TON of water.

Drinking enough water can be one of the hardest things. Forcing it down when you aren't really thirsty in the first place can be a pain all day. Then, on top of that is the added benefit of running to the mens room all day :) But it does help a lot.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Lots of good stuff on the topic but I would only add as a person of age (54) on this topic few ever talk about preventative measures to injury.

Anecdotally speaking, there 3 weak areas of the human body that need attention and care. The knees, the back and the shoulders. All 3 can sustain damage from golf. I've sustained plenty of damage to knees and shoulders (not from golf) and fortunately the back has held up.

So my routine emphasizes core & legs. Arms and shoulders get there due but I carve time to work the small muscles around shoulders with light, high reps in every direction, I do that, then I go heavier. Legs get strength training but cardio with running or elliptical equipment ensures small stuff is cared to. For the back lots of stuff that involves twisting.

Btw, the fittest guys at the gym do an awful lot of stuff that requires total body involvement. Free weights, pull ups with leg lifts (or even going inverted) or pull/push with cables where you need to maintain balance are a few examples. They rarely isolate, they do stuff that requires their core to be fully engaged. That's the direction I will be branching out to more.

Cheers.

I'm in the military, so physical fitness is mandatory for my lifestyle. All my time in the gym is in the early morning prior to eating breakfast. I shoot for any circuit lifting mon-wed along with cardio (HIIT, long distance runs, etc). Thurs-Fri are more centered around functional exercises and stretching, and sometimes I will do some light cardio. Range time is usually in the late afternoon or evening.

Everyone definitely has a routine that works for them. You just have to figure out what will actually help you out on the course without hindering your performance due to being sore.

I'm 39, for me, I found changing the workouts so the upper body or shoulders is worked no later than Wednesday (if for example, playing Saturday) worked out best; a good friend does a lot with Crossfit and stretches a ton and does ok with balancing both. Deadlifts, squats are ok to play day after, I've found, if sore, it's the arm soreness that is the worst, very little touch and feel. I used to split Arms/Shoulders, Legs, and Chest/Back and got pretty good results from this.

And core work especially for us desk jockeys.

I have been doing HIIT training which is essentially a combo of cardio and resistance training. What I have found for me is that I can play golf first and then work out without any issues. Conversely if I work out first and then go play my golf game stinks. So if I want to workout and play on the same day first I golf first and workout second.

I have been doing HIIT training which is essentially a combo of cardio and resistance training. What I have found for me is that I can play golf first and then work out without any issues. Conversely if I work out first and then go play my golf game stinks. So if I want to workout and play on the same day first I golf first and workout second.

Yeah, I can see that. Maybe if you were to spread the time between the workout and the golfing, your muscles would have more time to recover. I think if I could get in a workout during my lunch hour I could play after work. Any shorter than that, and I'd feel weak.

But, as I am finding, it's all about finding a good routine between your workout and your golf game, which it seems you have done.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Instead of using foam rollers you guys should pick up some yoga tune up balls. They will get deeper into the tissue for some good myofascial release. Also I would focus on full body workouts targeting specific muscle groups instead of Chest day etc.. and finishing your workouts with barbell, body weight, kettle bell, or dumbbell complexes

WITB
TM SIM - 10.5
Ping G25 FW 15*
Ping G25 Hybrid 19*
JPX-900 Forged 4-GW Dynamic Gold X-100
Cleveland RTX-3 54, 58
Bettinardi SS28

Instead of using foam rollers you guys should pick up some yoga tune up balls. They will get deeper into the tissue for some good myofascial release. Also I would focus on full body workouts targeting specific muscle groups instead of Chest day etc.. and finishing your workouts with barbell, body weight, kettle bell, or dumbbell complexes

How different are they from LaX balls?

1. Yoga 3x week

2. Biking 3x week----stopped running due to lower body stress, especially on the hips

3. Foam Rolling

4. The Stick Self Roller Massager

5. Celebrex if all of the above doesn't work!!!

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1