2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Escaping California Thread (NO POLITICS)

BeerPerHole

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well finally... Today I made an offer on a property in a very nice golf community in Northern Nevada. I appreciate all the input I got earlier on this here. I took a trip to Missouri since starting this thread and played a little golf. Frankly, the heat/humidity really kicked my arse. That was educational. The locals, when I asked, said, "No, we don't get used to it." Haha. I have always liked high dessert and I have family in Northern Nevada...

As a life long Northern Nevadan, welcome to the area! What golf community are you heading to?

I can also relate to you in regards to the heat/humidity. We took a family vacation to Orlando/Daytona Beach a couple weeks ago in mid-August and I couldn't believe the humidity. I don't know how you guys in the Southeast can handle it.

Same way some people handle snow. And no golf for months of the year. And sub zero temps. You just get used to it. I'd rather live in 100 degrees and 100% humidity 365 days a year than to live through another winter like I had in New Jersey when I lived there in 05-06, and that was apparently "mild", and obviously pales in comparison to other parts of the country (Midwest for example).

Over my life I have adapted to the heat. Cold weather is painful to me. People always say "but in the cold, you can always put more clothes on", but that doesn't work for me. It's still misery and I don't know how anyone can stand to be outside for more than a minute or two in the snow.when it hits 50, I'm wearing my full on heavy winter jacket, gloves and a beanie.

I left the SF East Bay 16 years ago for a promotion in Atlanta. I was thinking I'd be here two years and come back. I was 27 at the time.

I love CA, namely the climate, variety of different things to do like the beach, lakes, mountains and the scenery. I don't miss much else other than family.

The politics and cost are just too extreme. My bank account and investments are very happy. My wealth is not tied up in my house.

Is Atlanta hot? Yes. Is there "less" to do? Yes. Is it colder than CA? Yes. Traffic royally sucks...

However winter is not six months and there is seldom snow. You do get used to the heat because it's not central FL heat. The area continues to grow, that might not be good, but jobs are coming here.

When you add it all up leaving there was the best thing I ever did.

I moved out to SoCal in 2010 from Northeast NJ, where I spent my entire life (32 years at that point). I will say, I am no fan of winter so the weather out here has been really good for my overall mental health but there are lots of other things that aren't so good...LOL

It's taken me a few years but I have realized that unless we can afford to live comfortably south of where we are now, in Long Beach, I'd rather leave all together when the kids are grown. We bought a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house in 2012, 1150 sq ft for 320k. Sold it about 3 months ago for 550k and that wasn't our highest offer either. Real estate pays our bills but it is insane out here. It can not last and we watch many people who work their a** off try and buy a home and fall short time after time. Its really unfortunate.

Nevada would have been my suggestion, I have a buddy in Las Vegas and I like it there but Northern Nevada sounds really nice, too. I'm not sure if the perfect place really exists, there's always some sort of sacrifice to be made so you kind of have to weigh what is most important to what is least, for you. I would love to hear how you are liking your new found home, I have heard great things about some of those areas in the northern part of Nevada. A little bit of season is ok, but I can't go back to winters where we have a foot of snow and 10 degree temps... no thanks.

Best of luck to you and your family, hope it is everything you've been looking for!

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

Im in Iowa which isnt too bad for humidity but you really do never get used to it because it's only here for like 2 months so there isnt time to adjust. I like the midwest because we have the change of seasons. Winter and summer are just so much difference and its kind of liberating. Plus the short time of Amazing fall weather is worth it alone. I could never live in Florida or anywhere in the southeast for that matter. Northern Nevada sounds cool along with Colorado and Montana but I'll stay away from the east coast!

Traffic royally sucks...

I moved from Atlanta to San Francisco 20 years ago. The people in San Francisco commonly made comments to me like, "I bet you never seen traffic like the Bay Area before." I'd ask them have you ever been to Atlanta and sat on i285 or GA 400?

ATL traffic is something else. I have only been there 4 or 5 times... It's insane. And it's not just on freeways. Outside of LA, Atlanta is the worst I have seen. Worse than Houston, Chicago, and the Bay Area (I didn't actually think the Bay Area was that bad after spending a lot of time in Chicago and Houston).

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Traffic royally sucks...

I moved from Atlanta to San Francisco 20 years ago. The people in San Francisco commonly made comments to me like, "I bet you never seen traffic like the Bay Area before." I'd ask them have you ever been to Atlanta and sat on i285 or GA 400?

ATL traffic is something else. I have only been there 4 or 5 times... It's insane. And it's not just on freeways. Outside of LA, Atlanta is the worst I have seen. Worse than Houston, Chicago, and the Bay Area (I didn't actually think the Bay Area was that bad after spending a lot of time in Chicago and Houston).

Agree. It's a different beast. I'm near Alpharetta and my commute is 7 miles - all surface streets. If I leave between 5-6pm it's an easy 45min.

They did not build the infastructure to account for the growth. A lot of two lane roads with minimal turn lanes that are lined with one way in, one way out subdivisions. There are not many solutions.

Well finally... Today I made an offer on a property in a very nice golf community in Northern Nevada. I appreciate all the input I got earlier on this here. I took a trip to Missouri since starting this thread and played a little golf. Frankly, the heat/humidity really kicked my arse. That was educational. The locals, when I asked, said, "No, we don't get used to it." Haha. I have always liked high dessert and I have family in Northern Nevada...

As a life long Northern Nevadan, welcome to the area! What golf community are you heading to?

I can also relate to you in regards to the heat/humidity. We took a family vacation to Orlando/Daytona Beach a couple weeks ago in mid-August and I couldn't believe the humidity. I don't know how you guys in the Southeast can handle it.

Same way some people handle snow. And no golf for months of the year. And sub zero temps. You just get used to it. I'd rather live in 100 degrees and 100% humidity 365 days a year than to live through another winter like I had in New Jersey when I lived there in 05-06, and that was apparently "mild", and obviously pales in comparison to other parts of the country (Midwest for example).

Over my life I have adapted to the heat. Cold weather is painful to me. People always say "but in the cold, you can always put more clothes on", but that doesn't work for me. It's still misery and I don't know how anyone can stand to be outside for more than a minute or two in the snow.when it hits 50, I'm wearing my full on heavy winter jacket, gloves and a beanie.

Ha! When it hits 50, I put on 3 microfiber layers and play 18. I prefer winter golf over crowded, slow, sweaty golf. Here at the Jersey shore we get plenty of days around 50 until Feb.

Ha! When it hits 50, I put on 3 microfiber layers and play 18. I prefer winter golf over crowded, slow, sweaty golf. Here at the Jersey shore we get plenty of days around 50 until Feb.

I was in Plainsboro, right outside of Princeton. I played golf through the winter, but it sucked! I was miserable.

I was in Plainsboro, right outside of Princeton. I played golf through the winter, but it sucked! I was miserable.

I'll take 50 over 90 and humid any day. I have outings Saturday and Sunday and the forecast is showing high 80's with 80-90% humidity. I'm dreading it!

However, come mid January I would probably change my mind if you asked me again!

I'll take 50 over 90 and humid any day. I have outings Saturday and Sunday and the forecast is showing high 80's with 80-90% humidity. I'm dreading it!

However, come mid January I would probably change my mind if you asked me again!

Another nice thing about winter golf is that walking is a pleasure (and almost mandatory). Oh, and no swamp Word not allowed!

Deal fell through, seller wouldn't negotiate. I'm finding this is the norm in Northern Nevada as Californians are coming in like a tidal wave of cash. We had made an offer at Red Hawk in Sparks. Very good golf there, lots of nice folks, too. Going back over the hill again this weekend to look at some more property.

I saw somebody here said they were looking at Incline. If you can afford that, why wait? Some call that the most expensive real estate in the country. It's very nice there, too. Love that area.

Looks like escaping California is getting very popular. When we pulled into the parking lot at Red Hawk my son noticed, "Every license plate is from California." And, he was right.

Deal fell through, seller wouldn't negotiate. I'm finding this is the norm in Northern Nevada as Californians are coming in like a tidal wave of cash. We had made an offer at Red Hawk in Sparks. Very good golf there, lots of nice folks, too. Going back over the hill again this weekend to look at some more property.

I saw somebody here said they were looking at Incline. If you can afford that, why wait? Some call that the most expensive real estate in the country. It's very nice there, too. Love that area.

Looks like escaping California is getting very popular. When we pulled into the parking lot at Red Hawk my son noticed, "Every license plate is from California." And, he was right.

The entire Reno/Sparks area is under immense demand because of all the jobs coming to the big corporations just east at USA Parkway (Tesla, Switch, I think Google and Apple, etc.). Many sellers are staying firm because they know the demand is very high.

Incline Village is often referred to as Income Village as it's usually a second/third/something mountain home for CA millionaires/billionaires. One thing about living in Tahoe is that you have to deal with snow, and if it's like last season then it's a TON of it. So much sometimes that you shovel/plow and less than hour later it's all back. We get snow in the valleys but most of it melts off by the end of the day. I usually play golf through the winter in the valley courses but it does still get quite cold.

Are you looking to stay in a more major metro area like Reno/Sparks, or are you flexible in location? I have lived the entire valley corridor from growing up through high school down south in Gardnerville/Minden, currently live in Carson City, and lived in Reno during college. Each have their redeeming qualities, but I'm not familiar with your needs and desires.

My wife is interested in Incline. She likes Jackson, Wyoming too. Both those places are spendy, but she loves the outdoors and money is a distant concern to her. I'd really like to go to Fort Walton Beach, but she doesn't like Florida.

My wife is interested in Incline. She likes Jackson, Wyoming too. Both those places are spendy, but she loves the outdoors and money is a distant concern to her. I'd really like to go to Fort Walton Beach, but she doesn't like Florida.

She sounds like a smart lady

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

• 5 weeks later...

The entire Reno/Sparks area is under immense demand because of all the jobs coming to the big corporations just east at USA Parkway (Tesla, Switch, I think Google and Apple, etc.). Many sellers are staying firm because they know the demand is very high.

Incline Village is often referred to as Income Village as it's usually a second/third/something mountain home for CA millionaires/billionaires. One thing about living in Tahoe is that you have to deal with snow, and if it's like last season then it's a TON of it. So much sometimes that you shovel/plow and less than hour later it's all back. We get snow in the valleys but most of it melts off by the end of the day. I usually play golf through the winter in the valley courses but it does still get quite cold.

Are you looking to stay in a more major metro area like Reno/Sparks, or are you flexible in location? I have lived the entire valley corridor from growing up through high school down south in Gardnerville/Minden, currently live in Carson City, and lived in Reno during college. Each have their redeeming qualities, but I'm not familiar with your needs and desires.

I have a fondness for Carson City. My brother lives there, as of the last year or so. My son and I recently played Silver Oak and we really loved it - fantastic golf for a killer price. We looked at Washoe Valley. I love it. But, the wind and cold would probably wouldn't be too favorable to my wife. Beautiful area, though. I'm holding off at this point. Won't retire for a while so I have time. I want to end up in a place that has some economic potential for my kids.

Personally, I love living in SoCal and while it is very likely that I will have to move east to do a 2-3 year stint in DC (for work) I plan to keep my house and rent it out during that time. Once I've completed my time in DC then I plan to return to SoCal.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Discussing reasons to leave California without discussing politics? That's like discussing Dolly Parton without mentioning her anatomy

Oh, I could go on and on about politics in California. Frankly, that's the biggest motivator for me leaving. But, out of respect for GolfWRX I stated we should try to avoid that topic.

Personally, I love living in SoCal and while it is very likely that I will have to move east to do a 2-3 year stint in DC (for work) I plan to keep my house and rent it out during that time. Once I've completed my time in DC then I plan to return to SoCal.

Oh yeah. SoCal is nice. Best place I ever lived was close - SLO. That place is paradise. If I could afford it that would be my numero uno. Actually, in retirement I might be able to afford it. I still go down there for pleasure and business once in a while and it's exactly where I belong. Just expensive as h*ll.