2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Sung Hyun Park

Sean2

I see your point, but I wouldn't go to Korea and expect the broadcasters there to say my English name correctly.

You'd be pleasantly surprised. The golf broadcasters in Korea are quite professional and consistent and don't take creative liberties with people's names.

Its not about creative liberties, its about language differences. I doubt a Korean can pronounce my name perfectly. I wouldn't expect him to, nor would it offend me.

pbbbttt, how hard is it to pronounce Hot Rod?? :) Maybe a bit of an issue with the "R".

Hot Lod is totally acceptable in my book. Although if they butchered the short "O" It would be trouble. Hot Load is not acceptable in my book

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Public service announcement time.

The entire on-air staff at Golf Channel does not know how to correctly pronounce the name of the number three ranked player in the world.

"Sung Hyoon" is a wrong pronunciation.

The "Hyun" in "Sung Hyun" rhymes with "Chun" as in "In Gee Chun". Coincidentally, "Sung Hyun" rhymes with "young gun".

Nothing difficult about that, right? The professional broadcasters at GC may suffer some kind of mental block that prevents them from speaking correctly, but that doesn't mean that we all have to go around talking like idiots as well.

I see your point, but I wouldn't go to Korea and expect the broadcasters there to say my English name correctly.

I will say she cleans up well.....

I would agree with that statement

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

We're not talking about some relatively unknown player coming over on a sponsor's invite. Sung Hyun is the 3rd ranked player in the world. She played a number of LPGA tournaments last season, and is more than 3/4 of the way through her rookie season. I don't think it's asking too much for the full time staff of The Golf Channel to get the pronunciation of her name correct at this point. Have they asked her how it's pronounced?

Good point. I think it's just plain old laziness. They are able to say "Sherman Santiwiwatthanaphong" without too much trouble, and that's because you have to focus when trying to say a name like "Santiwiwatthanaphong". I think they just assume that a "Sung Hyun Park" is simple and can't really be botched thus they pay no attention to it.

Different languages have their own nuances for a non native speaker to get it exactly right.

I am not offended when they pronounce Yani Tseng without the proper contour/tone on the Tseng, as Chinese language is tonal.

The announcers pronounce Karine Icher as Kareeen Icher, instead of the French way, which sounds like hocking a loogie to me. Tom Abbott attempts it, but maybe a native French speaker would prefer him to stick with "Kareeen"

Remarkable in this day and age.

"I don't have any swing coach, so I practice by myself," Park said. "I tape my own swing and study and analyze it as many times as I can. That is something I try to perfect myself. Maybe that's a little different, but that's the way I do it."

Sung Hyun Park's Korean nickname is...."Namdalla"...which means...."I'm Different"

Her coach in Orlando is Brian Moag....she doesn't see him often and I wouldn't be surprised that when they have a session...she doesn't listen to much of what he has to say.

SHP certainly is different.

While most LPGA pros have male fans (except for the lesbian pros).....Namdalla's fans are called the "Attack Girls".

It's hard to see....but "Namdalla" is on the visor/caps of the Attack Girls in this picture.

20170717143939940ngpj.jpg

Oh ya....I can't remember name ....but I believe SHP has another Korean nickname....which means something like...."Shut up and Attack".

Those are girls?

Tom abbott does a good job imo. Being that he is English, from my view as an American who loves soccer, the epl announcers say foreign players names in their own way and a lot of tines, not correctly.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

• 1 month later...

Nuances. Lol. "Sung Hyoon" is just flat out wrong, and no amount of pseudo intellectual jive talk will make it right.

Eh, Americans will never get it. To this day, I still have not met an American anywhere in the states who can pronounce Hyundai correctly.

Returning to topic, I was surprised to read in the opening post that Sung Hyun taught herself the swing using video. If you think about it, all you need is a video camera with tripod and a good golf book that details correct positioning at various parts of the swing.

Her swing is textbook? For some shots I think so, but other times I think her follow-through is a bit high. I think Hyo Joo Kim's swing is superior and as close to perfection as possible.

Nuances. Lol. "Sung Hyoon" is just flat out wrong, and no amount of pseudo intellectual jive talk will make it right.

Eh, Americans will never get it. To this day, I still have not met an American anywhere in the states who can pronounce Hyundai correctly.

Blame whoever formalized Korean-Roman transliteration. In both Chinese and Japanese standard transliterations, "ai" is pronounced "aye". Not sure why for Korean they don't use the more correct "ae".

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Taylormade M1 15º, 19° Matrix Black Tie S
Royal Collection BBD VS, Shimada S 4-P
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°

Blame whoever formalized Korean-Roman transliteration. In both Chinese and Japanese standard transliterations, "ai" is pronounced "aye". Not sure why for Korean they don't use the more correct "ae".

The romanization is not perfect, but ultimately the blame lies with people's laziness. The Golf Channel broadcast team is equally adept at botching non-Korean names too such as "Area Jutañugarn".

The romanization is not perfect, but ultimately the blame lies with people's laziness. The Golf Channel broadcast team is equally adept at botching non-Korean names too such as "Area Jutañugarn".

Maybe you should blame the company itself, since its US commercials use the pronunciation "hun-day". Apparently they think Americans have a huge problem with the phoneme "hy-", especially in Houston, but we're only human.

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°

Count me in as one that does not know for certain the correct way on that name. Heard once on a telecast "Joot-a-new-garn" and thought that had to be wrong.

Perhaps it would be best if instead of folks posting and blasting the incorrect pronunciations they also provided the correct way?

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Tom abbott does a good job imo. Being that he is English, from my view as an American who loves soccer, the epl announcers say foreign players names in their own way and a lot of tines, not correctly.

Sorry Soccer is pronounced Football :taunt:

I'll take Aussie Footy. 'Best d*mn ball sport in the World.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Sorry Soccer is pronounced Football :taunt:

You mean Association Football?

nope just plain Football, you know the sport that has a round ball that you actually kick with your foot :bb2:

Bah. Who invents a sport where you can't use your hands, and any minor contact results in a player flopping on the ground and writhing in agony?

Footy is the ultimate ball sport because a) it has almost continuous action, b) they actually score on a regular basis, c) kicking, passing, and catching are all important skills, and d) physical contact is allowed.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Footy is the ultimate ball sport because a) it has almost continuous action violence, b) they actually score hospitalize their opponents on a regular basis, c) kicking, passing, and catching, and rabbit punching are all important skills, and d) physical contact is allowed positively encouraged.

FIFY

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°

I spent a little time trying to come up to speed on Korean to English translation, which involves converting Korean to the Latin alphabet, know as Romanization. I found a converter that might be useful: http://roman.cs.pusan.ac.kr/input_eng.aspx?

Sung Hyun's name in Korean is 박성현. Using the converter, one winds up with four options:

- Bak Seonghyeon [Revised Romanization of Korean] - B a k S eo ng H yeo n

- Pak Sŏnghyŏn [McCune-Reischauer Romanization]

- Pak Senghyen [Yale Romanization]

- [Allowed] Bak(Park/Pak) Seong-hyeon

A useful site for learning pronunciations of Romanized names is http://pronounce.voanews.com/browse-all.php?tab=os&start=100

So, my take on it would be Pahk Sohng h-Yuhn.

Pahk (
Park Chung-Hee)

Sohng (
Yim Sung-Joon)

h-Yuhn (
Roh Moo-Hyun)

I spent a little time trying to come up to speed on Korean to English translation, which involves converting Korean to the Latin alphabet, know as Romanization. I found a converter that might be useful: http://roman.cs.pusa...input_eng.aspx?

Sung Hyun's name in Korean is 박성현. Using the converter, one winds up with four options:

- Bak Seonghyeon [Revised Romanization of Korean] - B a k S eo ng H yeo n

- Pak Sŏnghyŏn [McCune-Reischauer Romanization]

- Pak Senghyen [Yale Romanization]

- [Allowed] Bak(Park/Pak) Seong-hyeon

A useful site for learning pronunciations of Romanized names is http://pronounce.voa...ab=os&start=100

So, my take on it would be Pahk Sohng h-Yuhn.

Pahk (
Park Chung-Hee)

Sohng (
Yim Sung-Joon)

h-Yuhn (
Roh Moo-Hyun)

More "suhng" than "sohng" ("sohng" as in Jennifer Song). Sung rhymes with Chung, which for whatever reason people don't have a problem with, i.e. they don't say "Chooong". Anyways the main problem people have in saying "Sung Hyun Park" is the "Hyun".

For whatever reason they don't have the same problem with In Gee Chun. As loose as Americans are with people's names I've never once heard anyone say "In Gee Chooon".

I noticed that the Australian crew were much better. I think half of them said it right and the other half said "Sung Hyoooon".

On a related note, back when Na Yeon Choi was contending in tournaments, they would always say "Na Yoooon" which is, you know, quite creative. It's like, how'd you come up with that? Rolfing Rules of Romanization I guess.

The 'eo' vowel is pronounced more like an 'Oh' than a 'Yu', which would put it closer to Song than Sung.

Now, the rub is that given names can be converted however the person likes. Maybe she chose Sung over Seong (the "proper" conversion) because she preferred the "Yu" in the pronunciation.

Edit: I found another site that shows 'eo' being pronounced like the 'ou' (Young). In that case it would certainly sound more like Chung than Song.

The 'eo' vowel is pronounced more like an 'Oh' than a 'Yu', which would put it closer to Song than Sung.

Now, the rub is that given names can be converted however the person likes. Maybe she chose Sung over Seong (the "proper" conversion) because she preferred the "Yu" in the pronunciation.

Edit: I found another site that shows 'eo' being pronounced like the 'ou' (Young). In that case it would certainly sound more like Chung than Song.

"eo" is pronounced like "uh", as in Na-YUHN or So-YUHN. "Seong Hyun" would be an acceptable spelling but there should be no ambiguity about the pronunciation. "Suhng Hyuhn" is it. Actually if she went with "Seong" she'd have to go with "Hyeon" (as in everyone's favorite KLPGAer Hyeon Joo). Seong Hyeon Park... I wonder how people would manage to botch that. Probably would add a bunch of syllables.

Incidentally the Korean alphabet is very easy for foreigners to learn. One of the easiest, according to linguists. Useful for any hardcore, illicit broadcast stream-watchin' LPGA fan if you ask me.

Congrats on getting to #1 in the World. That's quite an accomplishment for a rookie. The scary thing is that she plays rather sloppily, and unfocused at times. As good as she is now, I think her best days are yet to come. Her ballstriking can be improved. She's currently #119 in driving accuracy at 68.7%. She should be able to get that up in the 75% range. Otherwise her driving distance and GIR are both in the top 10. She might be able to improve each slightly, but I'm not convinced it would gain her a whole lot. Her scrambling can also improve a bit. She's ranked 35th in putting average, which indicates she's not getting up and down as often as she could.

• 2 weeks later...

Sung Hyun Park - 2017

1. Leading Money Winner 2.3 Million

2. Rookie of the Year

3. Co Player of the Year

4. USWO Champion

Very successful first full year in my book.

She has one of the best looking golf swings by anyone. If she can get rid of the one bad day, the she will dominate. I think she knows that her mental game suffers from time to time. When she learns to keep mental focus with a lead, she is going to win going away.

I think that's a good assessment. This week she had two bad days. She seems to mentally check out at times. While she has a great looking swing, she can miss a few too many greens when it's off. Is it a timing thing? One needs a swing that can hold up under pressure.

• 3 months later...

Remarkable in this day and age.

"I don't have any swing coach, so I practice by myself," Park said. "I tape my own swing and study and analyze it as many times as I can. That is something I try to perfect myself. Maybe that's a little different, but that's the way I do it."

So Awesome! I am really starting to enjoy watching the LPGA. Things like this just make me that much more of a fan... let’s go Sung!!