Sung Hyun Park

Sean2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her English must be improving. I followed her group a few days at the PGA championship and her caddie was speaking pretty quickly in English to her the entire time and she was speaking back to him. She was so quiet that it was inaudible, so I don't know how fluent she has gotten since 2016.

She may not speak it very well, but her understanding of the language may be much better.

A preview of her english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=209x7pjM0LQ

Sung Hyun's sister goes to school in florida and learning english as well. Jennifer Song is tutoring both.

Namdalla is great how she doesn't care what others think...while the rest of the Koreans pros are readily available to be nice to all they encounter.

Not entirely, you can tell she still takes time to put makeup on, before and during a round.

I've never seen her put make-up on during the round. If she did it was for the attack girls only.

I saw it in a picture only.

But hey, she put on her cake-face for you in Arkansas but you decided you are too good for the attack girls/boys.

Her English must be improving. I followed her group a few days at the PGA championship and her caddie was speaking pretty quickly in English to her the entire time and she was speaking back to him. She was so quiet that it was inaudible, so I don't know how fluent she has gotten since 2016.

She may not speak it very well, but her understanding of the language may be much better.

A preview of her english

https://www.youtube....h?v=209x7pjM0LQ

Sung Hyun's sister goes to school in florida and learning english as well. Jennifer Song is tutoring both.

Jenn Song must be the captain of the LPGA Korean softball team.

How can that possibly be effective? The language barrier, I mean? That's astounding to me.

Here's my theory.

I think the importance of the caddie/player relationship is great exaggerated.

Sure, but it can't possibly be HELPFUL to understand only half of what the other person is saying?! Or worse misunderstand 10% of what the other is saying? Can you imagine thinking "flyer lie" meant the opposite or something Iike that? Misunderstand "tail wind" or "that putt is gonna gain steam near the hole"?

that's true but speaking from experience if you do something every day with someone you pick up the language. it gets routine. my caddie was japanese and my golf japanese is still more fluent than my normal day to day japanese. in thailand, the caddies and i speak japanese as their english or my thai is not good enough!

A preview of her english

Namdalla posted her with her sister and Jennifer then deleted it a few weeks ago.

My wife's best friends' husband is Japanese and speaks no English. He's a golf nut like me Him and I have fully coherent conversations about golf and I speak very little Japanese. There's only so many terms.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

A preview of her english

Namdalla posted her with her sister and Jennifer then deleted it a few weeks ago.

Jennifer just deleted a picture of Sung Hyun from her instagram. Strange.

I think Sung Hyun understands and speaks English....I love how she snubbed the media during her USWO trophy presentation....didn't speak English and only had very short replies to questions asked.

Namdalla hardly looked and acknowledged Diana Murphy when she butchered her name and handed SHP the trophy.

In Korean culture, one bows to an elder, especially one who holds power......and the higher the power...the deeper the bow....SHP basically showed NO respect to Diana Murphy......lol.

Namdalla is great how she doesn't care what others think...while the rest of the Koreans pros are readily available to be nice to all they encounter.

I don't particularly see what that has to do with this. This was the US Open and she was likely trying to adhere to American culture. Thus she would be less likely to use a bow in this situation anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

How can that possibly be effective? The language barrier, I mean? That's astounding to me.

Probably works like this

hqdefault.jpg

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

A preview of her english

That's just wrong on so many levels. Lol.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

A preview of her english

Jennifer and Sung Hyun's sister.

R00LVrW.jpg

A preview of her english

I don't get the joke. Obviously a good one!

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend Sung Hyun quietly won the Canadian Women's Open. Well, even more quietly, she has climbed atop the season money list. She is also 2nd in scoring average just .017 strokes behind the leader Lexi Thompson, and 2nd in the Player of the Year race behind So Yeon Ryu, who has been stagnant lately. (SHP also moved into 3rd in the "Race to CME Globe" but I'm not going to pretend like I know what that is.)

She also more or less clinched the Rookie of the Year, although that is kind of a tiny dot in her rearview at this point.

I am impressed. Prior to her winning the USWO I started to worry that she might give up on the LPGA and return to Korea. (She does not seem all that impressed with America and whatnot.) But in a short time she has established herself as a truly elite, top-5 caliber player and I am looking forward to seeing what she can do now that she is comfortable competing (and winning) out here.

Last weekend Sung Hyun quietly won the Canadian Women's Open. Well, even more quietly, she has climbed atop the season money list. She is also 2nd in scoring average just .017 strokes behind the leader Lexi Thompson, and 2nd in the Player of the Year race behind So Yeon Ryu, who has been stagnant lately. (SHP also moved into 3rd in the "Race to CME Globe" but I'm not going to pretend like I know what that is.)

She also more or less clinched the Rookie of the Year, although that is kind of a tiny dot in her rearview at this point.

I am impressed. Prior to her winning the USWO I started to worry that she might give up on the LPGA and return to Korea. (She does not seem all that impressed with America and whatnot.) But in a short time she has established herself as a truly elite, top-5 caliber player and I am looking forward to seeing what she can do now that she is comfortable competing (and winning) out here.

I am a huge fan. As much as I enjoy watching her swing the club, can't remember the last time I watched someone roll the ball that perfectly for 18 holes. She could have easily had 2-3 more for maybe 61? All of the putts looked aggressive and just rolled pure right off the blade.

Once she gets her wedge distance dialed in just a touch more and improves her short game just a bit, she could flat out dominate.

I really like In Gee also, was almost hoping for a playoff. In Gee just does not seem to be putting quite as well as she normally does.

Sung Hyun could probably steal most all of the season honors and awards with a win at the Evian.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Once she gets her wedge distance dialed in just a touch more and improves her short game just a bit, she could flat out dominate.

That would be interesting. IMO Sung Hyun's technique raises the bar for female golfers. I feel the same about Ariya Jutanugarn, but she does not have nearly the consistency. Sung Hyun seems to rarely have bad rounds and has not even come close to missing a cut all year.

I am a huge fan. As much as I enjoy watching her swing the club, can't remember the last time I watched someone roll the ball that perfectly for 18 holes. She could have easily had 2-3 more for maybe 61? All of the putts looked aggressive and just rolled pure right off the blade.

I really like In Gee also, was almost hoping for a playoff. In Gee just does not seem to be putting quite as well as she normally does.

Sung Hyun could probably steal most all of the season honors and awards with a win at the Evian.

In Gee's putting this season is definitely off. Her putting average is 0.6 strokes higher this season compared to last season (2017: 29.67 2016: 29.07). That's pretty significant. Her putts per GIR is also higher this season (2017: 1.771 2016: 1.742).

Sung Hyun needs to work on her driving accuracy (125th). She's one of the longest players off the tee, but loses some of the advantage when she's hitting out of the rough. She's hitting a lot of greens (76.2%), but the proximity to the hole suffers.

It's weird that Sung Hyun only has 1 eagle this season. Stacy, So Yeon, and Nelly have 9. Heck, Moriya has 6, and Inbee has 5. 'Seems she could use a little time on the range with her fairway metals.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

Public service announcement time.

The entire on-air staff at Golf Channel does not know how to correctly pronounce the name of the number three ranked player in the world.

"Sung Hyoon" is a wrong pronunciation.

The "Hyun" in "Sung Hyun" rhymes with "Chun" as in "In Gee Chun". Coincidentally, "Sung Hyun" rhymes with "young gun".

Nothing difficult about that, right? The professional broadcasters at GC may suffer some kind of mental block that prevents them from speaking correctly, but that doesn't mean that we all have to go around talking like idiots as well.

The entire on-air staff at Golf Channel does not know how to correctly pronounce the name of the number three ranked player in the world.

The "Hyun" in "Sung Hyun" rhymes with "Chun" as in "In Gee Chun". Coincidentally, "Sung Hyun" rhymes with "young gun".

Nothing difficult about that, right? The professional broadcasters at GC may suffer some kind of mental block that prevents them from speaking correctly, but that doesn't mean that we all have to go around talking like idiots as well.

Hey football fans for years have been struggling with how "Favre" gets pronounced "Farve". So right there with ya kid.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I see your point, but I wouldn't go to Korea and expect the broadcasters there to say my English name correctly.

I will say she cleans up well.....

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I see your point, but I wouldn't go to Korea and expect the broadcasters there to say my English name correctly.

You'd be pleasantly surprised. The golf broadcasters in Korea are quite professional and consistent and don't take creative liberties with people's names.

Its not about creative liberties, its about language differences. I doubt a Korean can pronounce my name perfectly. I wouldn't expect him to, nor would it offend me.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Its not about creative liberties, its about language differences. I doubt a Korean can pronounce my name perfectly. I wouldn't expect him to, nor would it offend me.

Nobody's offended, it's just annoying, like if you had a coworker who kept saying "expresso" or "nucular" over and over, every single day.

We're not talking about some relatively unknown player coming over on a sponsor's invite. Sung Hyun is the 3rd ranked player in the world. She played a number of LPGA tournaments last season, and is more than 3/4 of the way through her rookie season. I don't think it's asking too much for the full time staff of The Golf Channel to get the pronunciation of her name correct at this point. Have they asked her how it's pronounced?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

You'd be pleasantly surprised. The golf broadcasters in Korea are quite professional and consistent and don't take creative liberties with people's names.

pbbbttt, how hard is it to pronounce Hot Rod?? :) Maybe a bit of an issue with the "R".

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar