2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tips needed for solo trip to St. Andrews in Sept. 2017

Hi y'all,

I will be visiting Edinburgh for a business trip so I won't have any time during the weekday but would like to get 72 holes in and especially check out St. Andrew's during the weekend (Sept. 9th and 10th). If any visitors in the past have tips it would me much appreciated.

1. Would it be possible to play 36 holes on the 9th(Sat.)? For example, arrive at 4am for TOC ballot, get out in the morning for the old course, and play the new course (or any other course in St. Andrews, please recommend!) in the afternoon?

2. My hotel will be in Edinburgh, should I rent a car or take the bus?

3. Should I take my clubs with me or rent them?

4. Is it a good idea to check out St.Andrews on 9th(Sat.) and check out other golf courses near Edinburgh (Ex: Muirfield, or any other courses near Edinburgh, please recommend!) or should I just dedicate my entire time to St. Andrews.

Thanks in advance! And if anyone's in town during that time we could play/ have a pint together.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Possible, but things would have to break a bit in your favor. If you get a morning tee time on the Old, either via the ballot or the queue, you won't have much trouble getting out on one of the other courses in the mid/late afternoon. Sunset is probably a little before 8, so if you get out by 3:30, you should be good. That means, realistically, your Old Course time will need to be before 8:30ish. Keep in mind the time change - you're likely to be pretty tired.

2. Rent a car. Executing your plan on the train/bus would be a nightmare.

3. I would take my clubs, just so you have one less thing you need to do on-site at St. Andrews.

4. I would stick to St. Andrews (keep in mind that the old course is closed on Sundays). You can't get into Muirfield unless you have a tee time. Edinburgh is also a pretty cool town to explore.

If you want an easy to get to course near Edinburgh that is certainly worth playing, look into North Berwick. It's easy to get on, even as a single. It's also very easy to get to from central Edinburgh - take a 30 minute train ride from Waverly Station and the end of the line in North Berwick is a short block from the clubhouse. Really fun course, classic links design, really welcoming people, and great history from the Old Tom Morris era (if I recall the story right, Old Tom and Tom Jr. we're playing a big match at Berwick when they received word that Tom Jr's wife was near death following childbirth; a member offered his yacht to take them home across the firth since the train journey would take too long).

I don't think Muirfield is accessible on weekends and they only take reservations for a fourball, general many months in advance.

If you're trying to get on the queue at St Andrews, you're going to have to be there extremely early, so I don't think you can make it work by bus so you'll need a car. And since no rental car place is open that early you'll have to get it the afternoon before, but bear in mind parking in Edinburgh is almost nonexistent. For rental car, I give a big recommendation to Arnold Clark. A local company that is unknown to most Americans, they have a big operation in Scotland, very professional, with rates much less than the usual Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, etc.

Thanks for the great answers, turns out one colleague I'll be working with is a member at Gullane so I'll be getting in 90 holes while I'm in Scotland!

I will take my clubs and rent a car through Arnold Clark, only worries I have is that even though I know how to drive a stick shift, I've never driven in right side cars.

I'll definitely try to get 2 rounds in at St. Andrew's on Saturday, the only question I have is how available are the other courses besides TOC? If I'm able to get out in the morning for the old course could I just ask to get on one of the other courses after my morning round?

I've also heard there are other great courses in Edinburgh, such as Bruntsfield Links and Preston which is a 10 min drive from my hotel. So I'll probably check those out on Sunday and I'll keep North Berwick in my mind as well, just wherever I could get a reservation.

Lastly, how important is it to hire a caddy? Is it one caddie per player?

I wouldn't worry much about driving on the opposite side. I was worried about it myself but found it really easy to adapt.

I'd recommend a caddy on TOC, partly for the guidance on the course of knowing what to hit and where, partly for the stories they'll tell, and partly just for the experience of strolling the course much like the greats in the game. From my observation they don't seem to do double bags in Scotland, so you'll have your own. With the current favorable exchange rate, I thought caddies there are a bit of a bargain and really added to the enjoyment.

sounds a great little trip you have planned...

Gullane is a fun course... well depending on what one you player there.

Funny I am in Texas on Vacation and you are heading to Scotland for a reversal....

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

MJD80, Just sent you a message so let me know what your schedule is like.

Thanks to all the kind replies, I have my trip set now.

One last question I have is how's the weather like in Sept.? Should I bring rain gear, wind breakers etc? I've never had to wear more than a t-shirt in Texas, so I would need to buy some gear.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

If you need a ballot partner for the Saturday let me know. I am going to be in Cruden Bay from Friday but was thinking of going into the draw for the Saturday and driving down if successful. Doing a north/north east trip but always room for an old course detour.

where are you playing and what dates???

MJD80, Just sent you a message so let me know what your schedule is like.

Thanks to all the kind replies, I have my trip set now.

One last question I have is how's the weather like in Sept.? Should I bring rain gear, wind breakers etc? I've never had to wear more than a t-shirt in Texas, so I would need to buy some gear.

Haha well I am Scottish and in Houston for the summer... the weather can't even compare...

in September one day will be t shirt at 68*F, the next windy as with showers and 55*F...

I have been here 7 weeks by the time I go home in two weeks and aim is to fit as much golf in the next 6 weeks before the weather is not too fun to golf in then back here in mid October for a couple weeks and warm golf....

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

If you need a ballot partner for the Saturday let me know. I am going to be in Cruden Bay from Friday but was thinking of going into the draw for the Saturday and driving down if successful. Doing a north/north east trip but always room for an old course detour.

Playing a few courses around London before heading to the Highlands/NE 4-11th. 4 nights @ Dornoch, 3 @ Cruden bay. Have booked 36 @ Dornoch for Sept 7 and have reciprocal rights at CB so arranging dates now. Otherwise freewheeling as a single, but plan to play Brora, Fraserburgh, Moray and Castle Stuart.

And hopefully tee up @ old course with a wrx'er!

Playing a few courses around London before heading to the Highlands/NE 4-11th. 4 nights @ Dornoch, 3 @ Cruden bay. Have booked 36 @ Dornoch for Sept 7 and have reciprocal rights at CB so arranging dates now. Otherwise freewheeling as a single, but plan to play Brora, Fraserburgh, Moray and Castle Stuart.

And hopefully tee up @ old course with a wrx'er!

interesting trip you have planned... very jealous of Royal Dornach....

Cruden Bay I a lovely fun course to play... my dad lives near the course in a little town near by and Is a member...

I am based in Aberdeen... why you not playing Royal Aberdeen or Trump????

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Considered RA but time may not allow it. Not keen on Trump Aberdeen: 235 GBP does not translate well in Aussie dollars.

Yes trump is certainly good but very different to Royal Aberdeen and Cruden Bay....

here is an interesting page for you - http://royalaberdeengolfclub.blogspot.co.uk Robert has not been updating it as well as he normally does... so looking forward to playing 21st August....

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

• 2 weeks later...

With all of the great help I've received I've almost finalized my schedule.

Sept. 3rd (Sun.)

1. Gullane

Sept. 9th (Sat.)

1. St. Andrew's TOC in the morning with a fellow Wrxer (We'll try the ballot, if not queue in the morning)

2. Kingsbarns in the afternoon (Quite Expensive....)

Sept. 10th(Sun.) (East Loathian)

1. Dunbar in the morning

2. Bruntsfield Links or Duddingston in the afternoon (Still haven't made up my mind yet...)

Couple of courses didn't work out for me

Muirfield: I knew it would be impossible to secure a tee time as a single on a weekend. And as expected, wasn't able to get a tee time.

Carnoustie: Didn't work with driving distance and schedule

North Berwick: They're holding Ladies British Open Amateur Championship from 4~9th. If I was able to get a round in on the 10th, that would've been great, since the condition will be in tournament style. But, there was no availability.

Archerfield (Fidra): I was debating between this and Dunbar but decided on Dunbar.

Transportation:

Reserved a rental car through rentalcars.com and got a great deal. Secured a parking garage in the middle of Edinburgh (near my hotel) for 15 quids a night.

Equipment:

I will be bringing my own clubs. 2 Dozen Prov1, Rain gear, and will wear layers of cloth just in case of weather changes.

Handicap card:

I tried to get this locally, but I just couldn't get it. I'm not sure how big of an issue this will be, would it be really hard to get on TOC if I don't have an official handicap card?

• 2 weeks later...

With all of the great help I've received I've almost finalized my schedule.

Sept. 3rd (Sun.)

1. Gullane

Sept. 9th (Sat.)

1. St. Andrew's TOC in the morning with a fellow Wrxer (We'll try the ballot, if not queue in the morning)

2. Kingsbarns in the afternoon (Quite Expensive....)

Sept. 10th(Sun.) (East Loathian)

1. Dunbar in the morning

2. Bruntsfield Links or Duddingston in the afternoon (Still haven't made up my mind yet...)

Couple of courses didn't work out for me

Muirfield: I knew it would be impossible to secure a tee time as a single on a weekend. And as expected, wasn't able to get a tee time.

Carnoustie: Didn't work with driving distance and schedule

North Berwick: They're holding Ladies British Open Amateur Championship from 4~9th. If I was able to get a round in on the 10th, that would've been great, since the condition will be in tournament style. But, there was no availability.

Archerfield (Fidra): I was debating between this and Dunbar but decided on Dunbar.

Transportation:

Reserved a rental car through rentalcars.com and got a great deal. Secured a parking garage in the middle of Edinburgh (near my hotel) for 15 quids a night.

Equipment:

I will be bringing my own clubs. 2 Dozen Prov1, Rain gear, and will wear layers of cloth just in case of weather changes.

Handicap card:

I tried to get this locally, but I just couldn't get it. I'm not sure how big of an issue this will be, would it be really hard to get on TOC if I don't have an official handicap card?

Couple things

1 is it possible to play North Berwick on the 3rd and flip Gullane to the 10th? North Berwick is awesome

Kingsbarns is worth the money.

You will need a handicap card dont risk getting turned away from the Old for something so benign as not having a card. You can always sign up for the Grint and get a free one http://www.thegrint.com/ for some reason I was not asked on the Old I thought it was because I was playing with a member but he said I was the first visitor he has ever played with that was not asked. That was pure luck but I had a card in my bag so it would not have mattered.

Also for the Old if the ballot or queue does not work out do not forget to check back in in the afternoon there may be some members dark times and if a member says ok the starter will pair you up. These spots do not go to the ballot or queue. Since I was playing with a member this happened we let two guys join us they got to the queue at 3:30am and did not have any luck they stuck around and got out with us at 4:20pm. Also go to the queue earlier than you think, I was hearing midnight to 1am a lot when I was over there last week. 2-3am may be too late.

Take caddies yes it is an extra cost but well worth it.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks for your input.

It won't be possible for me to flip Gullane and North Berwick. I've received confirmation at Gullane #1...

I actually just purchased one from www.myonlinegolfclub.com after entering my recent scores. I don't even know if the starter will take this card but it was the best option I had.

To be honest, the website you mentioned www.thegrint.com seems more legit and it's free, I would just have to get the card laminated.

Let me know what you think on the hdc card I purchased though...

Let me know what you think on the hdc card I purchased though...

Seems like it would do the trick

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Great trip you have planned, I just got back from 6 days and played Royal Dornoch, Carnoustie, TOC, North Berwick, and Kingsbarns. I had times at all but TOC and couldn't find a ballot partner, so woke up early for the queue. I arrived at 3 AM (on a Wednesday) and was #4 in line. When it was my turn, the first guaranteed time was at 12:20pm, so would imagine you would need to be there much earlier for a Saturday. Fair warning, bring warm clothes, it gets pretty cold and while there are heaters, they don't work all that great.

How did it all work out OP?

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120