2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New Zealand Open

Mick Douglas

i'm getting a delayed telecast now at Fox Sports 2HD for day 4 but am not sure if this will continue till the end of play on day 5..

..coverage was only up to end of play on day 4 so in fact only a replay of yesterday...

in any case lydia ko played the last 2 holes 5 over with an 8 on the last...bummer!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Not quite sure what Belen was complaining about. The top 5 players still managed rounds under par.

It's nice to see The Rocket near the top of the standings. 'Might be enough to keep her card for 2018.

Best finish of the year for Jennifer Song. Same for Jing Yan, who's previous best this season was 21st. She basically doubled her earnings for the year in one week.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Congratulations to Brooke. That's a great reward for making the trip and bringing her name and excitement to the event. Her grueling schedule worked out all around.

Solo 2 for Jing, how cool! I've liked her since reading a bit about her a while ago, she sounded really great. Super happy for Su. And Jennifer Song. And it's neat to see Spanish flags in top 5 after so long.

Lydia got T22, and was doing really good the first three days. That's one thing better about this event taking place now instead of earlier this year; Lydia probably wouldn't have done as well back then as now. So hopefully this was a good experience for her overall, and for the New Zealand scene.

The big splash to me is solo 3 for Hee Young! Wooooooooooooo She had an opportunity here and she really launched! I hope and hope that really is enough to save her. Any way to know? I'll be giddy about this for who know's how long.

So lot of wins and big boosts to go around. There's got to be some really happy players down there!

Congratulations to Brooke. That's a great reward for making the trip and bringing her name and excitement to the event. Her grueling schedule worked out all around.

Solo 2 for Jing, how cool! I've liked her since reading a bit about her a while ago, she sounded really great. Super happy for Su. And Jennifer Song. And it's neat to see Spanish flags in top 5 after so long.

Lydia got T22, and was doing really good the first three days. That's one thing better about this event taking place now instead of earlier this year; Lydia probably wouldn't have done as well back then as now. So hopefully this was a good experience for her overall, and for the New Zealand scene.

The big splash to me is solo 3 for Hee Young! Wooooooooooooo She had an opportunity here and she really launched! I hope and hope that really is enough to save her. Any way to know? I'll be giddy about this for who know's how long.

So lot of wins and big boosts to go around. There's got to be some really happy players down there!

Also a T8 for Cheyenne Woods as she battles to keep her card.

Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.

Huge congratulations to Brooke, it's only fair after how well Lydia plays in Canada for Brooke to com to NZ and do the same.

Looked to be amazing crowds and considering Auckland only has a population of 1.4 million LPGA officials said Thursday and Friday crowds were equal to normal Sunday crowds in the US.

If they move the event to February or keep it at this time slot they deserve a stronger field, having read numerous articles and lots of the girls twitter accounts they love the course and the country but also many of them said they tried to get other players to come but especially the US players were reluctant to travel so far. I mean in this day and age with first class travel and the ability to sleep distance to an event shouldn't hold top players back as surely winning titles is the main goal of a top athlete.

Between Pillar, Lee, Lewis, Kerr, Korda sisters, Jutanugarn sisters, Feng, Yin, Salas, Green, Earnst, Gal, and Thompson surely at least half of them could have committed to play and make a holiday out of the trip. All of them are playing in Korea in 2 weeks

The Rocket did it. She pulled off a 4 TD comeback in the 4th quarter to retain her full card. In fact I believe she is the only one who saved her card in this last opportunity.

Belen failed by 1 shot. Had she shot 77 instead of 78, she would have gotten a full card. She will still have partial status and should be able to get in at least 15 events next year.

Belen failed by 1 shot. Had she shot 77 instead of 78, she would have gotten a full card. She will still have partial status and should be able to get in at least 15 events next year.

She must be disappointed. But if you can't shoot a decent under par last round you're not going to cut it in these tournaments. Winners win because they can hold it together under pressure.

The Rocket did it. She pulled off a 4 TD comeback in the 4th quarter to retain her full card. In fact I believe she is the only one who saved her card in this last opportunity.

Is this the official end of the season? What about the remaining tournaments?

I knew Belen was in big trouble today, way too much of a grind with all the short putts and fist pumps on Saturday. She needs some mental toughness, folded like a house of cards yesterday.

Way to go Brooke! I think that puts my 4 favorite golfers in the top 5 of the CME Race.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Huge congratulations to Brooke, it's only fair after how well Lydia plays in Canada for Brooke to com to NZ and do the same.

Looked to be amazing crowds and considering Auckland only has a population of 1.4 million LPGA officials said Thursday and Friday crowds were equal to normal Sunday crowds in the US.

If they move the event to February or keep it at this time slot they deserve a stronger field, having read numerous articles and lots of the girls twitter accounts they love the course and the country but also many of them said they tried to get other players to come but especially the US players were reluctant to travel so far. I mean in this day and age with first class travel and the ability to sleep distance to an event shouldn't hold top players back as surely winning titles is the main goal of a top athlete.

Between Pillar, Lee, Lewis, Kerr, Korda sisters, Jutanugarn sisters, Feng, Yin, Salas, Green, Earnst, Gal, and Thompson surely at least half of them could have committed to play and make a holiday out of the trip. All of them are playing in Korea in 2 weeks

Maybe they don't want to live out of a suitcase 1/2 way around the world from their homes for 4+ weeks or spend a lot of time back and forthing at airports?

It was a fun tourney to watch (yeah Brooke!) on a course set up well for the ladies and I'm sure a US-based event would bite your hand off to guarantee that final threeball on a Sunday.

As William Munny said - Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It's always unfortunate when bad weather plays a major factor in a tournament, especially when some players bear the worst of it. I'd like to see the tournament moved earlier in the year so it can piggyback on the Women's Australian Open. However, Spring or Fall, weather is going to be an issue at times. I'm glad they were able to finish the tournament.

I do agree, though, that play should have been suspended earlier when the heavy winds arrived. Blowing debris is not to be taken lightly.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Asian swing for the next 4 or 5 weeks as they wind down and approach the year ending race for the CME.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Is this the official end of the season? What about the remaining tournaments?

The remaining tournaments are limited field , no cut event. The low ranking player can only get in by invites. But money earned in no cut events on invites doesn't count towards official money.

Unless the invitee WINS the event outright, then she will get her tour card via tour winner status.

i'm getting a delayed telecast now at Fox Sports 2HD for day 4 but am not sure if this will continue till the end of play on day 5..

..coverage was only up to end of play on day 4 so in fact only a replay of yesterday...

in any case lydia ko played the last 2 holes 5 over with an 8 on the last...bummer!

they finally showed the delayed telecast of day 5 later tonight so am good.

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Thank you for knowing and answering.

So happy for HYP. Been scared for her for what feels like all season. Wanna throw a party! Next to-do item for her: not getting in bad trouble like this again!

Gack, that's awful for Belen (and anyone else). One shot exactly, that could not feel more gutting :(

I was out on course yesterday for the conclusion of round 4, and followed Brooke, Belen and Brittany from 7 to the end. I play a lot in high winds on a links course, and it was very difficult conditions out there at Windross. As strong as it gets and still playable.. Some of the gusts were almost pushing you off your feet.

On the par 3 17th (Dead into the wind) Brooke was going with hybrid and changed at the last second to 3W. She put it to 10ft, just past pin high. I lasered the pin at 155yds! So that was a solid 6 club wind..

Downwind on 15 (Par 4), she also used 3W and finished just off the front edge. Around 297yds from the back tee to there..

She was very composed and focused all day, even when she made a mistake she didn't let it get to her, very impressive play. Lincicome and Mozo were visibly losing it.

Brooke's approach shot into 18 (right into the teeth of the wind) was sensational. Here's some stills from the vids I took.

ee97a69cd57daf2e7b7754c40d74543c.jpg

Insane.

5f9bc5acd0b7f27ecc8006a891832565.jpg

17th Hole.

d8721cebdf67bbc2aa70e5a49c2cfd7c.jpg

11th Green

6b0d2897eba8e35dbca7e0e1906852bc.jpg

Brooke and Brittany

1464cef2cc2c72c7c7cdc3c41c1d89ba.jpg

8th Hole

251872ade9a88d28ad2b7cb33c134f17.jpg

ed62efb097abadb0d8a0a9617ee80608.jpg

12th Hole.

ff366a307a9f1336e02d12d1c5f6dc65.jpg

Approach on 16

55a827fd1ffee08c1df50ee77c4a00d8.jpg

Fantastic finish on 18.

I don't think the commentators quite understood the wind eg referring to 40km/h as at least that yesterday. The forecasts are for mean wind not including gusts.Although a specific figure they are +-5. Actually yesterday at 10am the gusts were 70kmh that is 43.mph or 37.8 knots. Average not including gusts is about 2/3 of that. The conditions were very cold and unpleasant so I went home.

On Sunday the figures were about 10-20% higher.

As to when the conditions became dangerous. The video showed holes where conditions were unpleasant but then switched immediately to another hole where some signage came loose and umbrellas blew out. That was excessive and play immediately stopped. The point is wind and gusts vary over relatively small distances as any sailor or person standing downwind from a smoking fire knows.Whether the players should have been kept hanging around and then sent out for half an hour when it was impossible to finish is less easy to understand. Very frustrating for them and tiring.

Some obviously handled the wind very well. Others found hitting the sedge not fescue meant difficulty even though it had been trimmed and often flattened. Lydia took 2 shots to get out twice costing her three shots. Most members know that situation very well. At least the flattened tussocks usually but not always made the ball easy to find.Many hit excellent chips out.

The other side of the story is that on the first few days the conditions were benign with light winds and the hazards and tussocks more out of play, which was reflected in the scores.

watching Brooke hit driver is one of my favorite things to watch in golf. That turn and wrist set are f'in amazing. Look where that club head is in the 3rd pic from bottom. The first picture is nuts too.

I was kinda hoping to see In Gee win the CME, which would give Brooke, SH Park, So Yeon, and In Gee great seasons, but I am not sure I can pull for anyone over Brooke.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

@Climb&Golf - Thanks for the pics :)

Those stills are like some of the classic John Daly pics!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I guess I see another reason why Belen Mozo was lees than impressed having to play on Monday in NZ, she's playing the LET event in France this week...........that's gotta be a long flight with a nasty time zone shift lol. I was wondering why we didn't see many of the top LET players at the NZ event. They probably didn't wanna take an exemption and deal with the travel. I'm kinda surprised that Goergia Hall didn't go to NZ, travel would have sucked and hindsight with Brooke's score would have been tough to beat but with the weak field it could have been a great opportunity to steal a LPGA tour card

No problem @duffer987. She's so impressive to watch. 5.4" and just murders the ball. That's a 48" driver as well! Seems to always choke down.

It's crazy how she drops from the apex of her swing and flattens back into the slot so fast. Here's the full downswing sequence.

9e489ccdf19b459cf9d6ea3f38e7cb47.jpg

09542823a7e5729993a7915a2db8a0a6.jpg

b075273c460a442dce1fe335f5210878.jpg

5d7d6edc802cea6ecdf66fa786b68cf5.jpg

26c45e237e16b21be234ad97271ddeb0.jpg

98e8ed95b9f424a26aa7b341e6bfdad5.jpg

f0218cc4fbc2f46a59f6f25ee78501e1.jpg

001f920ea1440bb389301a7e447a5a6f.jpg

f92e9224e3b7924f12091c38e893f2d3.jpg

i am a great admirer of Brooke but her swing is bound to give her problems in the future..

luckily she is still very young but this is a swing that places a lot of strain on her back and wrists..

she needs to make sure she does the right maintenance exercises required to make her as effective as she is now for as long as possible..

i do like that her backswing is so long that even if it shortens as she ages it will still be pretty long by normal standards..

i can only wish her the best in the future..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

@Climb&Golf - seriously, thanks for adding more, that is so awesome.

A lot of guys on here play a driver shorter than 44.5, and that is her 3W length? Damn! I know she chokes down, but that is some cool stuff from a small woman.

I hope she maintains that top 5 in the CME for the Tour Championship, would like to see her take it all.

It looks like she drops it down like Sergio kinda, not sure if there is quite the lag though.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x