Kiawah Island - Golf or Gourmet Escape Package Nov 12 - Mar 3

February is filling up fast. My group of 8 appears to be shut out the weekend of Feb. 21 and the last weekend is fully sold out (and Presidents Weekend sounds full too). We might be able to get 4 booked. But Ocean is booked Sunday and we arrive too late Friday to make the last Ocean tee times that day. How much of the luster comes off if it's now down to one round on the Ocean? I don't know anything about the other courses, so some research is in order.

Leaving tomorrow morning with a group of guys for this package. Done it multiple times. We play the Ocean Course and one of the other courses (this year we are playing Osprey). Played the Ocean Course enough times so that I don't feel like that has to be the focal point and play it as many times as possible. We also only live only 2 hours away so it isn't as big a deal as those flying into town.

• 1 month later...

I went one of the first full weekends the package was available this year. November 14th or so if I remember right. Courses were in great shape. Day 1 I played Turtle Point in the morning and then TOC in the afternoon. Both were in great shape. Then played TOC again the next day and headed back home, since I was only going for a weekend. Can't say how it's been more recently as that was 2+ months ago now. Weather was all over the place my weekend unfortunately. My first day was probably 45, windy and rainy but the next day was 60 and sunny and beautiful. Hope for the good weather! If you get it, the package is an absolute steal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Kiawah after playing Friday - Sunday with a group of 8 guys on the Golf or Gourmet Package. Weather was a little dicey, but turned out alright - especially compared to the day before we played, when it was 40 and raining. After staying in Charleston the night before, kicked things off Friday at The Ocean Course with an 11:30 tee time, with highs around 43 and 30 mph wind gusts. Winter gloves were absolutely necessary and it was cold, but not unbearable (I am from Minnesota, but we had guys from Florida and the Carolinas as well). Among the better golfers in the group (3-10 handicaps), no one broke 90 from the Kiawah (6,200 yard) tees. I attribute this mainly to the cold/wind, and a little bit of knocking winter rust off (King St. in Charleston the night before probably didn't help either). Caddies were Wayne and Brandon, both good guys who have been at TOC 10+ years.

Saturday we had tee times around 10, but had close to a 90 minute frost delay with cold overnight temps. Ended up warming up to the mid 50's with more manageable winds (10 mph gusting to 20 I'd guess). The better golfers this time around shot 80-86 from a box back (Dye tees at ~6,500) yards. My group had Alva and Andrew as caddies, who I'd highly recommend. Both are good players and had more of the typical back and forth caddie banter (including enjoying the 'show' our buddies were putting on in the group in front of us).

Sunday we had tee times around 8:00 at Cougar Point (added on this round, which was about $140 at a discounted rate for villa guests). Had a similar frost delay as the day before, with the range opening around 9 and us getting out around 9:30. Enjoyed the course, although none of us were driving it particularly great and there is a A LOT of OB with houses lining the course. Thought the Par 3's were all solid and enjoyed the round. Even with the frost delay, turned out to be the nicest weather day at about 60 degrees.

Aside from the golf, the 4 villas we had (we were in the Windswept area) were perfect for after golf cards and watching sports. I believe all had King beds and then a pull-out couch, so you can either share a bed or have one guy on the sofa bed. As you'd expect with an island/resort, prices on-island were pretty high. We had dinner Friday at the Ryder Cup Bar and for a burger and 2 beers each, I think it came to $60/guy. For the second night, we made a quick run to Harris Teeter and grabbed frozen pizzas to eat back in the villa, but did have post-round drinks at the Ryder Cup Bar and Sanctuary Bar (think $10 beers/$20 Manhattens more or less).

On-island transportation was easy, never took more than 15 minutes to get the shuttle. Didn't attempt to go off-island for any of the evenings, which I would assume is a bit more complicated from a logistics standpoint if you're avoiding driving. Overall, you take a bit of a gamble with the weather, but really can't beat the deal. Easy for costs to creep up after buying some merch and if you're eating/drinking in the establishments on-island, but nothing that can't be managed with the full kitchens in the villas.

• Like 1

Excellent write-up, @DanMN. I did the Golf or Gourmet trip this past December. We played Ocean tees on the Ocean course on the first day at 12pm and the weather was amazing 70 deg. F and sunny with little to no wind. Our caddie kept mentioning that holes 14-18(closest holes to the ocean) would be challenging with strong winds out and back, but we didn't get any of it. It was the perfect day and we ended with beers on the Ryder Cup bar patio watching the sunset. We had dinner at Cherrywood bbq at the Osprey clubhouse. Dinner was okay but a bit too salty for my taste. When we got back to our villas, I ended up sleeping on the couch watching Golf channel. Didn't even make it to the King bed. (side note- the shuttle dropped us off in the wrong villas and we were walking in circles trying to find our condo. Google maps does not do a good job finding your address, and I must've called the concierge like 3 times trying to guide us back to our condo. When it's pitch black, all of the villas looked the same!)
2nd day was 7:30am tee time at Ocean course again. This time it was much colder, around 40-50s in the morning with 15mph winds. Course played harder but I ended up shooting the same score for some reason, same tees. The snack shop gives out free coffee until 10am. We got a replay rate at Osprey Point ($90) at 12:30pm and the weather warmed up with sunny skies in the 70s again. There was no wind on this course and it was enjoyable especially with power carts giving our bodies a rest. I liked this course and it was in great shape. I scored 10 strokes lower on this course somehow(Osprey tees), but my playing partners lost quite a few balls in the water.
We stopped by KinFolk in Johns Island for some chicken and waffles, Nashville hot chicken, and BBQ meats. This place was amazing and priced well. Highly recommend this place if you have access to a car.
This was probably best deal I've ever encountered for golf. 2 rounds at Ocean, 1 round at Osprey, villa, for $390+tax. Unreal.

• Like 2

Oh man.

I was there with a large group that same weekend.

we did Cougar Friday afternoon, Turtle and Osprey Saturday then Ocean Sunday morning.

On Friday, we were wondering how people playing Ocean were faring. It was so cold and windy!

Had frost delays Saturday and Sunday mornings but were able to get all rounds in. Ocean was perfect on Sunday. All of the courses were in phenomenal shape even with all the rain during the week

This was our third trip to Kiawah. Cannot beat that deal, especially when the weather works out. I agree about trying to find the condos in the dark. It’s like going into a dark anthill once you get back in there.

Rental car would probably be necessary. Getting a Uber out to Kiawah would not be an issue. However, trying to get one from there could be troublesome.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

This 100%. I have gone the last 4 years, one year I ubered. Massive mistake. I couldn't get an Uber out, my only option was to get a "limo" (black car) ordered at the hotel. It was $200 I believe. I ended up getting lucky and my caddie drove me to the airport haha. It came up during the round and he just offered, ended up getting BBQ in Charleston with him. Things worked out well, otherwise I would have been out $200+ dollars.

• 7 months later...

I just got the e-mail from Kiawah that the deal is out for this year (November 8 - March 3, with blackout dates around Thanksgiving and the New Year's holiday).  I don't recall exactly what the terms were last year, but the bolded section below jumped out at me in this year's offer details:

*Rates are based on availability for a Sanctuary garden view room or a one-bedroom scenic view villa. Room upgrades available at an additional cost. Taxes and villa resort fee additional. Does not include golf at The Ocean Course or dining at The Ocean Room or The Atlantic Room. Offer valid 11/08/2020 – 03/03/2021. Blackout dates include (but are not limited to) November 25-28, 2020 and December 30, 2020 – January 2, 2021. Minimum night stay may apply. Individual promotion only; maximum 2 rooms per booking. Not valid for groups or special events and cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. All taxes, alcohol and gratuity are additional. “Extend your Stay” rewards are only valid for Sanctuary reservations (not Villas) and nights must be consecutive.

vs. last year's:

*Rates are based on availability for a Sanctuary garden view room or a one-bedroom scenic view villa. Room upgrades available at an additional cost. Taxes and villa resort fee additional. Offer valid 11/10/2019 – 2/29/2020. Blackout dates include (but are not limited to) 12/13-14 and 12/27-31. Minimum night stay may apply. Individual promotion only; maximum 2 rooms per booking. Not valid for groups or special events and cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Champions Choice Gourmet Option: Up to $200 towards two dinners at ANY restaurant (Including The Ocean Room or The Atlantic Room). All taxes, alcohol and gratuity are additional. **Extend Your Stay rewards are only valid for Sanctuary reservations (not Villa) and nights must be consecutive.

Notice the specific exclusion of the Ocean Course in this year's package.  Perhaps they provide the option to upgrade to the Ocean Course, but as I read it, appears the offer has been diluted for this year - guessing with the PGA Championship coming next May they're either trying to get more full-priced rounds and/or manage how much play the course gets.

Although it notes a two room max, I was able to book 4 rooms/8 guys last year on a single reservation without issue.  

Not planning to go this year, but would be interested in any reports from others on these changes as you might be calling to book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanMN said:

I just got the e-mail from Kiawah that the deal is out for this year (November 8 - March 3, with blackout dates around Thanksgiving and the New Year's holiday).  I don't recall exactly what the terms were last year, but the bolded section below jumped out at me in this year's offer details:

*Rates are based on availability for a Sanctuary garden view room or a one-bedroom scenic view villa. Room upgrades available at an additional cost. Taxes and villa resort fee additional. Does not include golf at The Ocean Course or dining at The Ocean Room or The Atlantic Room. Offer valid 11/08/2020 – 03/03/2021. Blackout dates include (but are not limited to) November 25-28, 2020 and December 30, 2020 – January 2, 2021. Minimum night stay may apply. Individual promotion only; maximum 2 rooms per booking. Not valid for groups or special events and cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. All taxes, alcohol and gratuity are additional. “Extend your Stay” rewards are only valid for Sanctuary reservations (not Villas) and nights must be consecutive.

vs. last year's:

*Rates are based on availability for a Sanctuary garden view room or a one-bedroom scenic view villa. Room upgrades available at an additional cost. Taxes and villa resort fee additional. Offer valid 11/10/2019 – 2/29/2020. Blackout dates include (but are not limited to) 12/13-14 and 12/27-31. Minimum night stay may apply. Individual promotion only; maximum 2 rooms per booking. Not valid for groups or special events and cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Champions Choice Gourmet Option: Up to $200 towards two dinners at ANY restaurant (Including The Ocean Room or The Atlantic Room). All taxes, alcohol and gratuity are additional. **Extend Your Stay rewards are only valid for Sanctuary reservations (not Villa) and nights must be consecutive.

Notice the specific exclusion of the Ocean Course in this year's package.  Perhaps they provide the option to upgrade to the Ocean Course, but as I read it, appears the offer has been diluted for this year - guessing with the PGA Championship coming next May they're either trying to get more full-priced rounds and/or manage how much play the course gets.

Although it notes a two room max, I was able to book 4 rooms/8 guys last year on a single reservation without issue.  

Not planning to go this year, but would be interested in any reports from others on these changes as you might be calling to book.

I live in Charleston and have been doing this the past few years. I have not received the e-mail yet, but not being able to get onto the Ocean Course is probably a deal breaker. 

Edited by krtgolfing

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, DanMN said:

vs. last year's:

Too good to last. Let's hope there is an upgrade option at a reasonable price.

We just reserved our group of 8 for the Nov. 14 weekend.  We did this last year and had a great time even though the weather wasnt great.  But all in all had a great trip.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue 6F5
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  15*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Red  7F5
Callaway Apex UW 19*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue  8F5
Callaway Apex Pro 24*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Black 105F5
Callaway Apex Pro CB 5-11 USTMamiya Recoil Dart V 130 F5
Callaway MD5 Jaws Black 56W, 60LW
Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Las Vegas H7
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

1 hour ago, krtgolfing said:

I live in Charleston and have been doing this the past few years. I have not received the e-mail yet, but not being able to get onto the Ocean Course is probably a deal breaker. 

The e-mail had a live link as well I should have shared:

https://kiawahresort.com/packages/golf/golf-or-gourmet-escape/

• Like 1

Just now, DanMN said:

Are you playing The Ocean Course as part of your package?  And if so, was there an upcharge to play?

No option to play The Ocean Course.  I think its because of the PGA Championship this year but I will ask the guy who booked it all for us.

3 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I am calling now. On hold, will update shortly. Obviously, if the Ocean Course isn't an option it is a deal breaker. I've gone the last 4 years and have my flights booked already (Southwest, so no risk to cancel), but will be really disappointed to not go this year. 

Yeah I can see where it could be a deal breaker for most. But its only a 2 and half hour car ride and a great weekend with my buddies. Well worth it for me.  And I love all the courses there.

Just now, haughdaddy35 said:

Yeah I can see where it could be a deal breaker for most. But its only a 2 and half hour car ride and a great weekend with my buddies. Well worth it for me.  And I love all the courses there.

For sure, if you are close it makes sense still. Not worth flying down there from Chicago though for me. I think I'll do Pinehurst this year. 

So I actually messaged Kiawah on Facebook and they got back to me.  They said it has to do with keeping the amount of rounds down on the Ocean Course since the PGA will be coming in the spring.  To me it makes more sense to space tee times farther apart.  Also, what about March and April?  You know they are not going to have have difficulty filling their tee sheet up then.  

The good news is that they did say there was a Ocean Course add on option, but did not state how much that was.  I tried to call, but was put to voicemail.  Nobody has called me back yet.