Streamsong Black

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't know- never been. Just the heat starts to kick in especially around noon and it wears on you. Especially when you left 38 degrees to go play in 85.

I think Streamsong is a harder walk (assuming no caddy). The property is very exposed so you’re dealing with a lot of wind and glare from the sun that wears you down in unexpected ways. It’s also overall pretty flat, but in reality, it’s all been shaped so that you’re always either walking up a hill or down a hill.

I walk and carry 36 pretty often - and Streamsong really took it out of me last year.

• 1 month later...

First time I went it was just Blue and Red, and I thought Red was as good as it gets. Went this past January and got to play Black for the first time and that course just blew me away with how cool it was. Highly recommend listening to either the No Laying Up or Fried Egg podcasts about Streamsong with the designers to get some insight into the architecture because it is certainly different, but I definitely appreciate what they did with the property.

More difficult of a walk on Bethpage Black?

i've played bethpage black; from my memory the black was so tiring; of course that was a 6 hour round.

red and black at streamsong are very easy walk; the blue course is the tougher walk;

ranking walks:

black

red

blue

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been recently? Heading down in 2 weeks for first golf trip of the year.

I was there about 2 weeks ago and played Blue and Black. If I could do it over again I’d play Blue and Red. Both courses were in great shape but to me Black is just a bit over the top. The stretch of 3-8 on Blue is just amazing.

Conditions at streamsong year round doesn’t deviate much. Only thing that change is how hot and sweaty it gets.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Has anyone been recently? Heading down in 2 weeks for first golf trip of the year.

I was there about 2 weeks ago and played Blue and Black. If I could do it over again I’d play Blue and Red. Both courses were in great shape but to me Black is just a bit over the top. The stretch of 3-8 on Blue is just amazing.

Good to hear! We’re playing all three, so looking forward to comparing them.

I was there last week on a trip. We played each course twice. 36/18/36/18 over 4 days. We all liked Black much more the second time. There are some odd greens, but a good, fun layout overall. Conditions were pretty good. Enjoy it and get some sleep. We were exhausted each day!

After playing the Black course a second time, I still prefer the Blue, then Red. Tee to green the course was great, the greens were just too crazy for me to consider it a course I would want to play regularly.

My main issue with the greens is effect on the pace of play. Before the time change, we had a tee time at 12:30 and figured with sunset being at 5:50 we would have plenty of time to finish. We ended up playing the 18th hole nearly in the dark because the pace of play was so bad. We were only playing as a twosome so had no issue keeping up with the group ahead. The valet guys were literally waiting for us with our car in front of the clubhouse. I told him about the pace of play and he said it was an issue on the Black course cause the greens were so difficult. Second time around the pace was better, think we finished that round in a little over 4 hours.

I really don’t understand the green difficulty issue. I did t think any of the actual greens were extreme. The surrounds that are the same color as the greens have some interesting contours and allow a lot of options on how to play shots. There weren’t any 4putts or worse and only 2 3 putts in my group.

As said in another thread, I think the course does a poor job of explaining the green complexes to guests. My caddy showed me on the first hole how the greens were marked with green painted dots. There aren’t any sprinkler heads on the actual greens. On the second hole I could see the mow lines in the dew, and they only mowed the area inside the marked green that morning. Caddy said they keep the rest at a longer cut. The greens appear much larger than they are because they are the same strain of grass that is different than the fairways, but it was necessary to get the course to play along the ground how they wanted.

Overall it’s my favorite course there. Tee to green the strategy and options are great. The greens roll true and 20 footers are very makable.

After playing the Black course a second time, I still prefer the Blue, then Red. Tee to green the course was great, the greens were just too crazy for me to consider it a course I would want to play regularly.

My main issue with the greens is effect on the pace of play. Before the time change, we had a tee time at 12:30 and figured with sunset being at 5:50 we would have plenty of time to finish. We ended up playing the 18th hole nearly in the dark because the pace of play was so bad. We were only playing as a twosome so had no issue keeping up with the group ahead. The valet guys were literally waiting for us with our car in front of the clubhouse. I told him about the pace of play and he said it was an issue on the Black course cause the greens were so difficult. Second time around the pace was better, think we finished that round in a little over 4 hours.

Had the same issue with pace of play on Black. Tee to green it’s great but by the 5th hole the greens just got to be too ridiculous. Some aren’t as bad as others but still wasn’t fun to me.

Tip I got from a caddie was when playing red order the BBQ “open face” they serve it in a cup and you can get half brisket half pork. Also the tacos on Blue are great as well.

Had the same issue with pace of play on Black. Tee to green it's great but by the 5th hole the greens just got to be too ridiculous. Some aren't as bad as others but still wasn't fun to me.

Tip I got from a caddie was when playing red order the BBQ "open face" they serve it in a cup and you can get half brisket half pork. Also the tacos on Blue are great as well.

Tip: order 8 tacos on the blue. They are microscopic.

Every one of our 4 caddies in our group a month ago on the Blue and Red said they hated the Black. They said most everyone who has played it hates it. They said, in so many words, management wasn't thrilled with it. They did mention the addition of at least two more courses coming within the next decade.

Streamsong, in general, simply put, is pure.

Every one of our 4 caddies in our group a month ago on the Blue and Red said they hated the Black. They said most everyone who has played it hates it. They said, in so many words, management wasn't thrilled with it. They did mention the addition of at least two more courses coming within the next decade.

Streamsong, in general, simply put, is pure.

Heard rumblings that TW is eyeing the site. I would like to see them get away from the massively scaled courses and get some variety like Bandon.

There is no strategy tee to green on the black. It’s wide open with zero hazards.

Your imagination comes alive on the green. Chipping and putting. And hole 11-15 should be blown up. Especially the short par 4 on back 9.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

There is no strategy tee to green on the black. It’s wide open with zero hazards.

Your imagination comes alive on the green. Chipping and putting. And hole 11-15 should be blown up. Especially the short par 4 on back 9.

The Punchbowl 9th is cool, we spent 10-15 minutes putting around.

What I noticed is the closer you get to the green on the shorter par 4 holes you were screwed because you need a lot of spin to hold the greens or keep the ball close. It’s a new course so it’s super firm and hasn’t settled in yet.

I drove the green on the short par 4.

5 putted from the bottom tier. The flag that day was smack middle on a mountain. There is no way we will ever agree it’s a good hole. The landing spot was too small and if you spin the ball back with a short iron you are essentially done.

Also I’ve played my fair share of punch bowl. That was no punchbowl.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Couldn’t disagree with jerebear more. That was probably me favorite stretch. Was able to stop a 3w on the green on 14. If it didn’t hold, there are a lot of options that could work depending on skill.

Sounds like you chose very poor option and even poorer execution to 5 putt. Though it sounds like you weren’t actually on the green, just the fringe.

You seem to be letting your score cloud your evaluation of the course. Seems like a good par 4 that allows eagles and doubles.

Just because a course is wide open doesn't mean there isn't strategy. I haven't played the Black, so can't comment specifically, but I would be a lot that the greens are much more approachable from certain angles. As wide as the course sounds and as wild as the greens are, I bet the pin placement can completely change the optimal way to play a hole for the day.

I know this is true of Hanse's Olympic course in Rio.

Couldn’t disagree with jerebear more. That was probably me favorite stretch. Was able to stop a 3w on the green on 14. If it didn’t hold, there are a lot of options that could work depending on skill.

Sounds like you chose very poor option and even poorer execution to 5 putt. Though it sounds like you weren’t actually on the green, just the fringe.

You seem to be letting your score cloud your evaluation of the course. Seems like a good par 4 that allows eagles and doubles.

Played there 4 times already buddy. I know what greens are there. That short par4 is never an eagle hole. More like par or doubles. The gentlemen I played with was the ceo of safewatch and a current rater. We both agreed those holes just don’t fit in with the grand scheme of things. The greens during those stretch was unforgivable.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Just because a course is wide open doesn't mean there isn't strategy. I haven't played the Black, so can't comment specifically, but I would be a lot that the greens are much more approachable from certain angles. As wide as the course sounds and as wild as the greens are, I bet the pin placement can completely change the optimal way to play a hole for the day.

I know this is true of Hanse's Olympic course in Rio.

It's wide open. Play it first then try to make an argument. I like the Black course. No one here is crapping on it. The stretch on the back 9, 12-15 is just super quirky. I've played a lot of golden age punchbowl greens. This is more like a giant moon crater. Your ball can be stuck on a tier inside the crater and you wouldn't even know it. How is that fair Golf considering the blind shot aspect. Most of all punchbowls funnel to the middle. There's literally mountains inside this crater to keep the ball from funneling to the center. The first time I played the flag was on a tier. And if your ball does funnel to the center then you're essentially 3 putts.

It was only playable after they slowed the greens down. I live an hour away and play streamsong probavly 4-5 times a year since it opened. What's that 20+ time already? Heck I already been there threeX since the new year. Great facility. The black doesn't have a tee to green strategy. Maybe a couple holes but for the most part, wide open.

I wouldn't play the resort that much if I didn't like it. I love it. Doesn't mean it's not stupid. Haha

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

5 putted from the bottom tier. The flag that day was smack middle on a mountain. There is no way we will ever agree it's a good hole. The landing spot was too small and if you spin the ball back with a short iron you are essentially done.

Also I've played my fair share of punch bowl. That was no punchbowl.

It's not a good punchbowl but it's fun to putt around inside if nobody is behind you. But agree its basically a 3 putt unless you get lucky on your approach, which I was lucky enough to have my approach ended about 15'.

5 putted from the bottom tier. The flag that day was smack middle on a mountain. There is no way we will ever agree it's a good hole. The landing spot was too small and if you spin the ball back with a short iron you are essentially done.

Also I've played my fair share of punch bowl. That was no punchbowl.

It's not a good punchbowl but it's fun to putt around inside if nobody is behind you. But agree its basically a 3 putt unless you get lucky on your approach, which I was lucky enough to have my approach ended about 15'.

I'm not disputing if it's fun or not. It's just not a true punchbowl. It's more like a football field inside a moon crater. Haha!

No one here is crapping on the black. It's world class 17-18 finish along with some of the most forgiving tee to green. I actually love that course a lot outside of the little stretch that doesn't make sense.

As far as my favorite punchbowl it's got to be lookout. That will probably change after I play fisher this fall

Fried Green made an article on alps/punchbowl greens. Here are some fine examples. I'll have the pleasure to play camargo this july and fisher in the fall, both of which are on this article. Streamsong Black Punchbowl is only the same in name.

http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/template-holes-the-alps

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I'm in for some Punchbowl Top Trumps:

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Fishers is supposed to be the best Punchbowl in existence and if you need a partner at Fishers let me know :)

Fishers probably is but there's plenty of good examples out there. I'd argue if the guys at Yale would put the punchbowl greens back to what it once was on hole4, that would be considered one of the best alps/punchbowl in golf. It's a shame Yale doesn't know what they have. Could be a top 25 course of all time IMHO.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x