Streamsong Black

Played the Black a few weeks ago and really liked the course. I’m a 12 handicap and thought the course was very playable. I sometimes struggle off the tee and this course is pretty forgiving in that area.

Not the best putter in the world, but didn’t find myself having to 3 putt on every hole. Yes, they are huge, but not insanely hard. I believe I had 3 3 putts. On a normal course that’s not ideal, but on a course where you should almost always be on the greens in reg it isn’t too bad.

Ended with an enjoyable 86 and would play it again any day.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played Black today.. There is nothing to hate about it. It isn't a normal golf course though. It is an extremely fun course, with great unique features that you won't see anywhere else. Would I want to play it every day over Red and Blue? No, but as soon as I finished I wanted to plan another trip with all of my golf buddies, because it is a course you have to see and play. There is nothing like it. I have played a lot of great courses, this course design blew my mind more than any others. I can see why course snobs may not like it. I think Blue is probably my favorite overall.

I finally got to play the Black course after starting this thread. Our group was split between Red or Blue being their favorite. Everyone thought the Black was their least favorite. Different strokes for different folks! The fairways are as wide as can be. I've played it and glad I did, but would probably choose to play Red or Blue instead of playing the Black ever again. In my opinion the other two courses are that much superior. I couldn't imagine those greens in wind. Caddies did tell us they think the course will need changed in the future and it was built with the hopes of getting a major type of tournament there. I don't know where all the people would stay for something like that? Streamsong is GREAT! Not as good as Bandon, but easier for east coast people to get to and much better weather.

in defense of the black, it really did get better the 2nd and 3rd time around though the red is so much better imho

also the greens were slowed to about 10 on the stimp when i played the 2nd and 3rd time unlike the first time which it was running at a 12. (that made a world of a difference and was super playable)

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Just played Black. It was really windy which made it play tough. That said, I really enjoyed the layout and the greens. They were nothing like I had ever played so I appreciated that.

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

wait till we get a 4th course at streamsong; rumors have it it'll be the lido replicate; I'm hoping Doak is hired to come back and give it a go. That would be a dream come true.

as far as resort goes, I think streamsong has built an amazine niche as the preferred winter destination for golf resort.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

wait till we get a 4th course at streamsong; rumors have it it'll be the lido replicate; I'm hoping Doak is hired to come back and give it a go. That would be a dream come true.

as far as resort goes, I think streamsong has built an amazine niche as the preferred winter destination for golf resort.

From an avid traveler/golfer out of towner perspective I agree that it is a wonderful resort and the red course is worth the price of admission. The Blue is kind of a mess IMO with links conditioning and Resort/aerial approach only greens. It is a fine course but a bit schizophrenic. After playing there twice I really had no desire to return until I read about the funky greens on the black. A few concerns regarding it being a preferred niche:

It is way overpriced for what it is, to lure any but the most ardent and affluent golfer (time will tell if the market will bear it)

I dont know of any preferred niches that are close to absolutely nothing. When golfers take vacations to disney world I dont see them taking a full day to drive an hour and a half and spend a full day playing golf away from the family, and it is too expensive to stay and play for 3 or 4 days. A fourth course might get me back one more time, but I dont see me ever having a desire to go year after year like Bandon, the cost is two to one for an inferior experience IMO.

From an avid traveler/golfer out of towner perspective I agree that it is a wonderful resort and the red course is worth the price of admission. The Blue is kind of a mess IMO with links conditioning and Resort/aerial approach only greens. It is a fine course but a bit schizophrenic. After playing there twice I really had no desire to return until I read about the funky greens on the black. A few concerns regarding it being a preferred niche:

It is way overpriced for what it is, to lure any but the most ardent and affluent golfer (time will tell if the market will bear it)

I dont know of any preferred niches that are close to absolutely nothing. When golfers take vacations to disney world I dont see them taking a full day to drive an hour and a half and spend a full day playing golf away from the family, and it is too expensive to stay and play for 3 or 4 days. A fourth course might get me back one more time, but I dont see me ever having a desire to go year after year like Bandon, the cost is two to one for an inferior experience IMO.

how is the cost 2 to 1 for an inferior experience(peak rate is the same for both)? streamsong isn't gifted with the pacific coast line but traveling to florida in winter sounds like an easier flight than going to bandon. i remember playing streamsong in january when it was 70 degrees while 90% of the country was freezing/snowing/raining.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

how is the cost 2 to 1 for an inferior experience(peak rate is the same for both)? streamsong isn't gifted with the pacific coast line but traveling to florida in winter sounds like an easier flight than going to bandon. i remember playing streamsong in january when it was 70 degrees while 90% of the country was freezing/snowing/raining.

Looks to me made up numbers. For the majority of the east coast getting to Bandon stinks. Getting down to Streamsong is a lot more easier. Peak season stay and play at Streamong is $438 and with peak season Bandon you have $275 round of golf with a $230 hotel.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Looks to me made up numbers. For the majority of the east coast getting to Bandon stinks. Getting down to Streamsong is a lot more easier. Peak season stay and play at Streamong is $438 and with peak season Bandon you have $275 round of golf with a $230 hotel.

I believe Vallygolf is making his comparison based on "preferred winter destination..." from the post he replied to. In that instance there is nothing made up about it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Agree. I don't see how the cost is much different. Sure, Bandon in winter is cheaper, but so is Florida in summer. Peak season lodging is similar in cost; ~$300 - $400 a night. Travel to Orlando has to be cheaper for almost everybody than travel to Oregon.

IMHO Streamsong is a better niche than Bandon, because it hits the offseason for those of us in the North. I'm more inclined to take a golf trip when I can't play at home.

I believe Vallygolf is making his comparison based on "preferred winter destination..." from the post he replied to. In that instance there is nothing made up about it.

That's like saying Streamsong is the preferred summer destination because it's so cheap. The chances of me flying to Oregon from New England in February are somewhere between slim and none.

That's like saying Streamsong is the preferred summer destination because it's so cheap. The chances of me flying to Oregon from New England in February are somewhere between slim and none.

Fair enough - see people from all over North America at Bandon in the winter - my reply was in regards to "made up numbers" and pointing out another way to look at vallygolf's reply, as two people latched onto his cost comparison and basically saying he is full of B.S.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

There’s nothing preferred about bandon in the winter. As I’ve gotten older the cold disgusts me. Spending multiple winters in New York can do that. I just checked my Phone and it’s supposed to be 84 for a high today.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

There’s nothing preferred about bandon in the winter. As I’ve gotten older the cold disgusts me. Spending multiple winters in New York can do that. I just checked my Phone and it’s supposed to be 84 for a high today.

As I said above, fair enough that's your personal prerogative that there is nothing you prefer about Oregon in the winter, much the same way it's his to actually prefer Bandon.

I understand that many people are more reticent and affected by weather conditions than others, so in that case I can see why the premium for one resort over another.

F.T.

Yeah sorry guys, not my intention to make it a Bandon vs Streamsong just an example. I understand the different seasons, but also play bandon year round and prefer Nov and March, would not dream of playing streamsong in summer (that coming from a guy who routinely plays in 105 degree heat). This is my experience at my preferred times. Just pointing out that for what you get there are many other niche areas to play in winter that are less expensive, and have the benefit of other amenities as well. For this guy in AZ, it wont be a consistent draw.

I hope they replicate Lido. If done right that could be so cool.

No way they bring Doak back he already built a course there (3rd best of the 3 imo) and with his reputation for being extremely difficult to work with I just don't see any chance that happens.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Why do people think Streamsong is hard to get to? It doesn't compare to the travel to bandon. You are less than 2 hours away from 3 large airports. Tampa is an hour. It takes an hour to get to any course in chicago if you live in the city. The fact that Bandon does so well is a true statement about how great it is, because it is not easy to get to in any way.

streamsong in the summer is probably the 2nd best deal in golf, after the ocean course in winter ... yeah, it's hot and humid ... but you're in a cart on the red/blue, and the price, even at the start of june, is ridiculous ... plus you get that ice cold dip in the spa if you take advantage of their guest times for the people who have not reserved the spa ...

Why do people think Streamsong is hard to get to? It doesn't compare to the travel to bandon. You are less than 2 hours away from 3 large airports. Tampa is an hour. It takes an hour to get to any course in chicago if you live in the city. The fact that Bandon does so well is a true statement about how great it is, because it is not easy to get to in any way.

Is anyone saying that? I thought "middle of nowhere" references were more to the unappealing nature of the surrounding area, as opposed to the logistics.

As you point out, it really is dead easy to get to and is pretty close to a large metro area in Tampa/St.Pet. Certainly closer than Pinehurst, Kohler, Bandon, etc... are to one.

F.T.

Is anyone saying that? I thought "middle of nowhere" references were more to the unappealing nature of the surrounding area, as opposed to the logistics.

As you point out, it really is dead easy to get to and is pretty close to a large metro area in Tampa/St.Pet. Certainly closer than Pinehurst, Kohler, Bandon, etc... are to one.

^^ This

I think Pinehurst or Streamsong is easy to get too. Raleigh/Durham is only an hour away (which seems reasonable compared to the others) as Streamsong is to Tampa. Plus there are plenty of flight options to both locations. I figure if your going to a golf destination an hour (give or take) from a major airport seems reasonable. IF you are going longer then 2+ hours it had better be pretty impressive.

Edit: Bandon, Sand Valley, Cabot Cliffs.....The shortest is 2.5 hours and up to 4 hours to get to the resort from a major airport....Seems to be a trend with Keiser???

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they replicate Lido. If done right that could be so cool.

No way they bring Doak back he already built a course there (3rd best of the 3 imo) and with his reputation for being extremely difficult to work with I just don't see any chance that happens.

My prediction: The next Course will be designed by Kidd- that’s a lock!

Anyone have an idea about how long it takes to get from 18th green on Black to the 1st tee on Red? I have about 50 minutes between tee times and want to make sure its enough to get back and change and get a drink between rounds.

I know Blue and Red are near eachother but I can't find a layout of Black. Do they shuttle you from the Black course to the Clubhouse?

Anyone have an idea about how long it takes to get from 18th green on Black to the 1st tee on Red? I have about 50 minutes between tee times and want to make sure its enough to get back and change and get a drink between rounds.

I know Blue and Red are near eachother but I can't find a layout of Black. Do they shuttle you from the Black course to the Clubhouse?

There are 2 seperate clubhouses. I would say Black is a 2-3 minute van shuttle ride from the other two courses/main clubhouse. I think 50 minutes is doable. Might be rushing a bit to get a drink, but I find they bend over backwards for golfers and you should be fine. Just them know to have a shuttle waiting at the end of your round and I'm sure they'll accomdate you. I just played Black thursday and only 40 rounds went off. I could not find a layout of Black either before I played.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Thanks. I figured there was 2 different clubhouses. The map on the site wont open up and show any distinct layouts. I will say the service at Streamsong leaves alot to be desired.

Also are the 4 1/2 hour rounds realistic?

Yes. We got a round in that time frame. The empanadas were a pretty cool menu item at the turn. It is a long walk though- when they tell you to drink water,do it. I always grabbed 2 bottles when I could and I carried one and the caddy had the other in my bag.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.