Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

8 hours ago, becoh said:

Headed from the island up to Kamloops/Kelowna the labour day week. Was thinking of doing a GolfKamloops package, anyone have experience with them? Or other recommendations for similar setups?

Besides golftown and modern golf, any must visit shops in Vancouver to stop into? 

Modern is just fittings there is not much to see there

Not sure what you're golf budget is for the trip 

Sagebrush in Merritt supposed to be really nice..

Tobiano in kamloops has started doing deal times on tee off.. I have spotted rounds there for 80ish this week 

Talking rock really nice course.. just outside of chase 

Salmon arm is a favorite as well..I would personally play talking rock over salmon arm 

Vernon has the rise decent track

Predator.. ridge course.. amazing 

Okanagan club in kelowna.. they have bear and Quail... bear seems to be the more popular out of the two 

Bear is more of a driver course where as quail is a thinkers course as u don't use driver off a bunch of tees 

Tower ranch.. tougher track some great views of kelowna and the lake 

Harvest is flat and a easily walkable course 

Kelowna springs is another easy walking course 

Black mountain  in kelowna another decent track 

Edited by Shushwap
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Modern is just fittings there is not much to see there

Not sure what you're golf budget is for the trip 

Sagebrush in Merritt supposed to be really nice..

Tobiano in kamloops has started doing deal times on tee off.. I have spotted rounds there for 80ish this week 

Talking rock really nice course.. just outside of chase 

Salmon arm is a favorite as well..I would personally play talking rock over salmon arm 

Vernon has the rise decent track

Predator.. ridge course.. amazing 

Okanagan club in kelowna.. they have bear and Quail... bear seems to be the more popular out of the two 

Bear is more of a driver course where as quail is a thinkers course as u don't use driver off a bunch of tees 

Tower ranch.. tougher track some great views of kelowna and the lake 

Harvest is flat and a easily walkable course 

Kelowna springs is another easy walking course 

Black mountain  in kelowna another decent track 

Very much appreciate the list. I'm certainly at the  < $100 a round price point. Tempted to get a package to keep it simple.

Edited by becoh
Posted too soon.

8 hours ago, becoh said:

Very much appreciate the list. I'm certainly at the  < $100 a round price point. Tempted to get a package to keep it simple.

If you want to stay under a !00 a round... The okanagan is not the place for that... As most courses up here are over that

Im not sure what they have for pacakges... That sounds like may be your best route.. I think the deal is more to do with the hotel then the course

34 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

If you want to stay under a !00 a round... The okanagan is not the place for that... As most courses up here are over that

Im not sure what they have for pacakges... That sounds like may be your best route.. I think the deal is more to do with the hotel then the course

One can do the Osoyoos/Oliver ones for<$100.  But assuming you already have accommodation booked, maybe not an option. From my experience the last two years, If you care about food, I'd start booking restaurants (especially @wineries) too now. The better ones are probably booked weeks in advance if not more.

The wife and I are going to the Sushwap the first week of September. We have booked five rounds of golf and six nights of accommodation. It was easy enough to book through a really nice company,

Golf in britishcolumbia.com. They were really nice to work with.

I played my own course, Meadow Gardens Golf here today. The greens are really good, just in time for punching early next month……….

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

11 hours ago, mukster said:

The wife and I are going to the Sushwap the first week of September. We have booked five rounds of golf and six nights of accommodation. It was easy enough to book through a really nice company,

Golf in britishcolumbia.com. They were really nice to work with.

I played my own course, Meadow Gardens Golf here today. The greens are really good, just in time for punching early next month……….

What courses are u playing  ?

6 hours ago, Shushwap said:

What courses are u playing  ?

Mara Hills, Salmon Arm, Talking Rock and Sushwap National twice. We were booked on another course, but they will be punching, so we are playing SN twice. 

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

On 8/22/2022 at 7:59 AM, Phireside said:

Anyone played Squamish recently?

Played Squamish this morning. Course is in great shape. It's a real sleeper that doesn't get much talk about. Nice layout and lots of tee options. Greens were fantastic. Huge with lots of movement but very fair. Rolling PURE today. My playing partner commented that there were no pitch marks to fix but our own. Members there take real pride in fixing marks and sanding divots.

I think $85 all in for a week day was a bit steep but not totally outrageous in today's world. It could be a trek for some but for me on the Northshore it took the same amount of time as it takes me to get to MC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

Great course package...

Have you played any of them before

Played Mara when it was still Hyde Mountain a long time ago. I’ve played Salmon Arm a number of times, always enjoy SA. 

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Thinking about playing salmon arm on Friday and there are no morning tee times 

If someone has a morning tee time could u please cancel it so I can play 😆 

In all seriousness is everyone ready for golf to end and winter to start 

We only have another 4 to 6 weeks of decent golf weather left up this way 

On a side note has anyone ever sent irons to ping to have them refreshed 

8 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Thinking about playing salmon arm on Friday and there are no morning tee times 

If someone has a morning tee time could u please cancel it so I can play 😆 

In all seriousness is everyone ready for golf to end and winter to start 

We only have another 4 to 6 weeks of decent golf weather left up this way 

On a side note has anyone ever sent irons to ping to have them refreshed 

Now my game is finally up and running to a decent level it will be too bad to be playing sporadically (though my bank account will appreciate the refresh). The local courses generally stay open (the Burnaby public courses and Langara(!!) are now pretty good for drainage).  I may join in some winter play dependent on conditions. I loaded up on good rain gear and some thermals for the 20/21 winter but decided  wet golf wasn't so much my thing anymore and my old hands don't do well playing in the really cold weather. We booked for all of December in Palm Springs so if we don't back out again with Covid type concerns that will be good.

Ping refinishing:  I Googled after i saw your post and saw a 2021 thread on another site after refinishing at Ping USA  and the results look amazing and a very reasonable cost. Not sure if Ping Canada does it (I think I read somewhere, sometime that they send work to Ping USA). Ping Canada site says all repairs have to be through an authorized dealer. I suggest phoning Ping Canada to check on availability and process.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Now my game is finally up and running to a decent level it will be too bad to be playing sporadically (though my bank account will appreciate the refresh). The local courses generally stay open (the Burnaby public courses and Langara(!!) are now pretty good for drainage).  I may join in some winter play dependent on conditions. I loaded up on good rain gear and some thermals for the 20/21 winter but decided  wet golf wasn't so much my thing anymore and my old hands don't do well playing in the really cold weather. We booked for all of December in Palm Springs so if we don't back out again with Covid type concerns that will be good.

Ping refinishing:  I Googled after i saw your post and saw a 2021 thread on another site after refinishing at Ping USA  and the results look amazing and a very reasonable cost. Not sure if Ping Canada does it (I think I read somewhere, sometime that they send work to Ping USA). Ping Canada site says all repairs have to be through an authorized dealer. I suggest phoning Ping Canada to check on availability and process.

Palm Springs sounds nice... do u have any room jn your luggage lol 

I have looked into ping refresh before and they looked amazing when they were done 

My g410 are a little scuffed up  and my 7iron has easily hit 5000 balls at the range 

I will have to speak with the head pro at my course and see what the scoop is on time and cost.. I don't want to be with out them for months as we play sim golf a few times a month in the winter here 

10 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

Palm Springs sounds nice... do u have any room jn your luggage lol 

I have looked into ping refresh before and they looked amazing when they were done 

My g410 are a little scuffed up  and my 7iron has easily hit 5000 balls at the range 

I will have to speak with the head pro at my course and see what the scoop is on time and cost.. I don't want to be with out them for months as we play sim golf a few times a month in the winter here 

Just a couple of quick thoughts :

1. if u are using grass tees at the range…at the rare time I can do that (usually away) I find using a wet towel between most shots has the double benefit of slowing me down and getting rid of groovand face grit before the next shot.  You probably already do that. 

2. Your pro might be able to get a price on just replacing the 7 iron to the same specs as now if that is the only one past cosmetic scuffs. 

Off to University today in a few minutes with one group,  Fraserview tomorrow with the other one. 

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

Just a couple of quick thoughts :

1. if u are using grass tees at the range…at the rare time I can do that (usually away) I find using a wet towel between most shots has the double benefit of slowing me down and getting rid of groovand face grit before the next shot.  You probably already do that. 

2. Your pro might be able to get a price on just replacing the 7 iron to the same specs as now if that is the only one past cosmetic scuffs. 

Off to University today in a few minutes with one group,  Fraserview tomorrow with the other one. 

Golf today sounds like so much more fun then my day today... I get to do the ipe fair with a million other people...

Talking rock on Sunday and then the bear at okanagan club next week 

I have 1 round left at salmon arm and another at black mountain and that will finish off all my pre paid rounds for the year 

I'm going to talk with my pro tomorrow and see  if he can send them off this fall..I would like to freshen them all up as they have to have 200 rounds or more them 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Golf today sounds like so much more fun then my day today... I get to do the ipe fair with a million other people...

Talking rock on Sunday and then the bear at okanagan club next week 

I have 1 round left at salmon arm and another at black mountain and that will finish off all my pre paid rounds for the year 

I'm going to talk with my pro tomorrow and see  if he can send them off this fall..I would like to freshen them all up as they have to have 200 rounds or more them 

Tell them to change it to "IPA" next year and it might be more fun.

Golf was mostly fun today, despite rimming a bunch of par or bird putts. Nothing worse  than bogie to 17, so I started counting up my par points anticipating  perhaps a few bucks from those or a low net.  Natch I then tried a hero flop over the bunker on 18, three to get out of the dubious hard pan sand for a two putt snowman. Sigh.

ps Oh yeah, driving into a playing partner's pushcart with my rented powercart on the 5th put a slight damper on things. We both hope that the now wobbling wheel on the pushcart can be repaired with minimal cost to me. 🤣

Edited by myspinonit
  • Haha 2

Riverway today. Mind was elsewhere and I was just going through the motions. Put the card away after 8 and just wacked it around trying shots I would never. Had a lot more fun goofing off than trying to play for a score and helped ease my mind.

$55 is an absolute bargain. Course was in very good shape. Plenty of browned out areas, but I don't subscribe to the green grass is the measure condition moto. Greens had some dressing on them but rolled nicely and fairly quick.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Phireside said:

Riverway today. Mind was elsewhere and I was just going through the motions. Put the card away after 8 and just wacked it around trying shots I would never. Had a lot more fun goofing off than trying to play for a score and helped ease my mind.

$55 is an absolute bargain. Course was in very good shape. Plenty of browned out areas, but I don't subscribe to the green grass is the measure condition moto. Greens had some dressing on them but rolled nicely and fairly quick.

Like Riverway too and it is a great option after a wetter spell.  It can get you though on course management.

Played a week ago and had my best round there in years (sorry, lol) -even though I played the reds -despite five 3 putts, four of them on the back.  Three birds on the front though  so putting wasn't a complete horror show.

Loving embracing my seniorhood this year and moving up to new combo or red tees depending on the course. Helluva lot more fun hitting irons in a lot more often. Irons are getting better now too  with more iron shot practice during play.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phireside said:

I also have great admiration how the course was built with no cost to taxpayers (though they did improved drainage work much later on that cost $). For those who don't know, Riverway  land was really  peat bog. The City sold off the peat which was hauled away by the buyers and they used the money to pay for the front nine.  The front nine  was paid for before the first tee-off. Then they did the same with the rest of the land and paid for the second nine (at which time the original nine holes changed  a bit as they were incorporated to the new 18).

For quite  a few years all those hills were covered with long fescue and any wayward shots were punished big-time.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, myspinonit said:

Anyone had  recent experience at Westwood Plateau?  Never played it (just the views dining) but recall some negative posts some time ago about it being very rundown.

Got a chance to play it with my Men's group mid September at a good $ rate.  It would be all day deal from where I live (with potential fall weather changes).  Not worth it if it potentially will just be a goat track +/or a muddy one.

Westwood is in pretty good shape with the exception of the bunkers which in many cases, are full of rocks.

Only other major issue is that I played twice in August and both times I had issues with the golf carts running low.  They are so busy and the carts or batteries are so old that in the first round, the cart died on the second green and replacement cart had battery light on for last two holes.  The other cart in our group also died on hole 6.  In response to my polite complaint as it ruined our round having to rush, they gave me 50% off my next round that had to be used within 2 months.  Well, on the second round the cart started to have issue at hole 8 but players assistant said it had 45% battery left but started having significant issues around 14 (never saw a players assistant again).  Barely finished the round.  The cart drives better backwards when the battery is low so I drove the last two holes backwards.  I mentioned the issue again but did not complain

• Like 2

Titleist 917 D3 8.5* Project X Even Flow 
Snake Eyes CMF Fairway Wood 14*
Miura Retro Blade 2 Iron

MacGregor PCB Tour 3-4
Miura Tournament Blade 5-p
Miura 52* K Wedge KBS Tour Steel Wedge
Miura 56* 1957 K grind Steelfiber i25cw
Miura 59* 1957 FORGED C Grind DG Spinner 
Snake Eyes MCS1

7 minutes ago, tazsgtr said:

Westwood is in pretty good shape with the exception of the bunkers which in many cases, are full of rocks.

Only other major issue is that I played twice in August and both times I had issues with the golf carts running low.  They are so busy and the carts or batteries are so old that in the first round, the cart died on the second green and replacement cart had battery light on for last two holes.  The other cart in our group also died on hole 6.  In response to my polite complaint as it ruined our round having to rush, they gave me 50% off my next round that had to be used within 2 months.  Well, on the second round the cart started to have issue at hole 8 but players assistant said it had 45% battery left but started having significant issues around 14 (never saw a players assistant again).  Barely finished the round.  The cart drives better backwards when the battery is low so I drove the last two holes backwards.  I mentioned the issue again but did not complain

Thanks. With new wedges in the bag the rock-laden bunkers was enough alone to confirm I won't be joining in.

12 hours ago, myspinonit said:

^^ Yeah…But if if the rocks are buried and hiding bad mojo awaits.  Sounds like this is more than the odd visible pebble…not that ling go you were not able to legally remove those loose ones. That was a good rule change. 

I have a few friends that pull there ball out of any bunkers with pebbles of any kind 

What's with these courses and rocks in there bunkers anyhow

Can they not afford sand..

Even tower tower ranch has pebbles in there bunkers 

The first time I played tower this year with my buddy who is a member there.. said to pull the ball out as they don't hit out of the bunkers there 

This is  a course that charges 150 plus a round.. I played a small executive course the other day that had the cleanest sand I have seen in awhile 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shushwap said:

I have a few friends that pull there ball out of any bunkers with pebbles of any kind 

The first time I played tower this year with my buddy who is a member there.. said to pull the ball out as they don't hit out of the bunkers there 

This is  a course that charges 150 plus a round.. I played a small executive course the other day that had the cleanest sand I have seen in awhile 

Same experience at Tower back in May. Member that was in my group said to pull it out of fairway bunkers. Greenside were fine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Both groups I play have local rule for raking and placing the ball in bunkers if not raked and in a  rotten lie...consult with playing partners (I should have remembered that  a few times this year), but not dropping outside the bunker.  That's pretty rich (pun intended) for Tower to charge that much and pay so little attention and care. I did have a rock chip out of the face of aa fairly new wedge from a buried rock  (not pebble size)  at University some years ago  and I have seen some smaller pebbles in there still.

Conversely my spouse and I just got home from a round at Country Meadows exec course in Richmond,. $33 bucks or so for 18 holes and to my surprise the two bunkers I was in had quite nice sand and I did not see any pebbles.  The tee araes were really beaten up though. I understand they get a beating on the par 3s, but though I don't play it regularly I'm guessing they   don't vary  the tee blocks much; yardages played pretty close to the tee marker signage.

• Like 1