Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

On 6/25/2022 at 6:15 AM, myspinonit said:

Course pics look great. Never played it. The course probably is tough especially for the wives perhaps, but "pace was excellent at 4.75 hours"? In carts presumably. No Player Assistants? That's half an hour more than I'd consider appropriate for any course.  

Played their lots and 4.75 is not too bad during peak times.

The Ridge course is very hilly (much more than the Preditor course). 

Views are spectacular and for first time players lots of time taken to take pictures.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Yeah. My wife and I did. just an exec course walking for a 1pm tee time on Sunday and it whacked the heck out of us. We probably were tired when we started though.  Really bad and restless sleep in the heat the last two nights too.

Its been such a crappy spring here this here I havent climatized to the warmer days... Played the Rise on saturday in 30 degrees... I thought that was hot... I went through 6 bottles of water  yesterday and only had to visit the bushes on the 17th hole

How is pricing of courses around Kelowna these days? Might do week of golf with my Dad in late September in the interior.

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

6 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

$$$$$$$$$ 

It's not cheap 

Where are u looking to play 

Not sure yet.

PXG One & Done

6 hours ago, Break68 said:

How is pricing of courses around Kelowna these days? Might do week of golf with my Dad in late September in the interior.

Pricing is high IMO, but obviously everyone's idea of high is different.  Last time I was there pretty much everything was $130 plus and most of the courses were browned out.  The courses in Kelowna are solid but we've started to do Kamloops trips instead, if only for the availability of cheaper courses if we want.  

5 hours ago, Break68 said:

Not sure yet.

I would have to agree with The Beav.. Kelowna pricing is getting up there for the average joe to come up and play...

Head to the shuswap... Play Salmon arm and Talking rock and Mara Hills... All much cheaper then Kelowna...Lodging will be much cheaper as well..

Edited by Shushwap

Thanks guys, $130 is stupid expensive, Shushwap it might be after all.

PXG One & Done

I would start with tobiano and work my way east

Tobiano.. talking rock.. salmon arm 

Tobiano will be up there price wise.. it's a play at least once course 

Talking rock is one of my favorites.. followed by salmon arm and then mara hills 

Revelstoke is supposed to be nice as well as golden 

Most don't like mara hills formerly hyde mountain..I have a soft spot for the place 

• Like 1

Haven't done much in Kelowna or Kamloops or any in Shuswap area but have done Osoyoos/Oliver a fair amount. Rates should be cheaper there too.  The Desert Course at Osoyoos, (or the Meadows),  NK'Mip, Fairview Mtn.  I was able to book Osyoos and NK'Mip early for our planned mid-Sept 2022 trip (since cancelled). 

From what Shuswap has been posting about difficulty getting times  the option to book tee-times now with cancelling if the weather shifts  (and booking accomodations!)  would be more important for me than what courses I play.  You also might look at booking dining early too, though with just the two of you that might be ok.

But...If you do stay in Osoyoos (the Best Western there is ok) be sure to book for at least one meal at 15 Park Bistro (book early). Far and away the best food in town.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Shushwap said:

I would start with tobiano and work my way east

Tobiano.. talking rock.. salmon arm 

Tobiano will be up there price wise.. it's a play at least once course 

Talking rock is one of my favorites.. followed by salmon arm and then mara hills 

Revelstoke is supposed to be nice as well as golden 

Most don't like mara hills formerly hyde mountain..I have a soft spot for the place 

Hyde Mountain is amazing.  I love that place so much.

Revelstoke is a fun course too.  Nice old school design and challenging course.

4 hours ago, The Beav said:

Hyde Mountain is amazing.  I love that place so much.

Revelstoke is a fun course too.  Nice old school design and challenging course.

I just took a peak at Mara Hills (formerly Talking Rock) and Salmon Arm.  Will keep them in mind for a possible new destination next year..especially if MH gets the Lodge rebuilt.

@Shuswap...you say most don't like Mara Hills. Any particular reason?

Edited by myspinonit

On 6/28/2022 at 7:15 AM, Golfnuck said:

Played their lots and 4.75 is not too bad during peak times.

The Ridge course is very hilly (much more than the Preditor course). 

Views are spectacular and for first time players lots of time taken to take pictures.

I would sooner head to the dentist than play a 5 hour round on the Ridge, but I'm admittedly spoiled as a resident up here.

For $230 or whatever they are charging right now, that's just a kick in the teeth.

Doesn't really help that the marshals just drive around and wave at everyone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, myspinonit said:

I just took a peak at Mara Hills (formerly Talking Rock) and Salmon Arm.  Will keep them in mind for a possible new destination next year..especially if MH gets the Lodge rebuilt.

@Shuswap...you say most don't like Mara Hills. Any particular reason?

I love mara hills aka hyde mountain.. most don't like it,. I'm trying to get my buddy to play there this weekend 

I have 2 for 1 for hyde.. it's a great course for 50 bucks..if I can't get him to go I will keep my eyes on tee off this weekend and head out there as a single 

Talking rock is really nice as well.. The plan is to rebuild the lodge..I doubt it will be up and running by next year 

I have been out to black mountain.. vernon golf club and the dunes in kamloops  in the last 10 days 

I was supposed to play shadow ridge yesterday..

The old Back is not happy with me right now...I need to go easy for a few days as we're out to salmon arm on Thursday 

4 hours ago, samwm said:

I would sooner head to the dentist than play a 5 hour round on the Ridge, but I'm admittedly spoiled as a resident up here.

For $230 or whatever they are charging right now, that's just a kick in the teeth.

Doesn't really help that the marshals just drive around and wave at everyone.

They should at least hand out  🍺 

We told the Marshal that at the dunes the other day..if u are going to make us wait on every hole.. can u at least supply us with cold beer 

Played my home course Meadow Gardens yesterday.  The course is coming along really nicely.  1 or 2 bunkers still need some work.  Fairways and greens are pretty nice. 

Unfortunately, pace of play is pretty awful right now.  It is quite funny, the marshals drive rings around me on the course, because they know exactly what I will tell them if they ask how my day is going! 🤬

Either that, or they drive rings around everyone. It is a pity, as the course has been working really hard to get better, but the pro shop  just has no ability to control pace of play and they usually lose control of the golf course before 12 noon.  The poor guys that go out in the early afternoon have a long day ahead of them.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

On 7/7/2022 at 7:54 AM, mukster said:

Played my home course Meadow Gardens yesterday.  The course is coming along really nicely.  1 or 2 bunkers still need some work.  Fairways and greens are pretty nice. 

Unfortunately, pace of play is pretty awful right now.  It is quite funny, the marshals drive rings around me on the course, because they know exactly what I will tell them if they ask how my day is going! 🤬

Either that, or they drive rings around everyone. It is a pity, as the course has been working really hard to get better, but the pro shop  just has no ability to control pace of play and they usually lose control of the golf course before 12 noon.  The poor guys that go out in the early afternoon have a long day ahead of them.

That's too bad.  I wonder if the marshals have no backup from the proshop (or think they don't)  if they did try to push groups along or even get  them jumping to the next tee if  an "offender" complains? Especially if there are members involved. 

Side note: I see from your sig that apparently the new Ping 7w didn't knock out your 19 degree hybrid.

Edited by myspinonit

On 7/8/2022 at 1:09 PM, myspinonit said:

That's too bad.  I wonder if the marshals have no backup from the proshop (or think they don't)  if they did try to push groups along or even get  them jumping to the next tee if  an "offender" complains? Especially if there are members involved. 

Side note: I see from your sig that apparently the new Ping 7w didn't knock out your 19 degree hybrid.

This seems to be the case for most courses I have played this year.. the Marshall just seems to drive around and make sure no one is overly intoxicated 

What happened to pace of play where they would actually move u along 

I played this year with a guy that was a Marshall at the course I was at.. he was all up in our kitchen that we had to go go go.. ready golf let's gooooo

We get to the 4th tee box and there are 3 groups in front of us on one tee box...

I said do u want to call the pro shop and get someone out here to move this along..he looks at me and says where they going to go the course is packed 

2 hours ago, Shushwap said:

This seems to be the case for most courses I have played this year.. the Marshall just seems to drive around and make sure no one is overly intoxicated 

What happened to pace of play where they would actually move u along 

I played this year with a guy that was a Marshall at the course I was at.. he was all up in our kitchen that we had to go go go.. ready golf let's gooooo

We get to the 4th tee box and there are 3 groups in front of us on one tee box...

I said do u want to call the pro shop and get someone out here to move this along..he looks at me and says where they going to go the course is packed 

That's nuts.  They tend to call the position now "Player Assistant" rather Marshall that actually marshalls them along.  The Player Assistants at Vancouver munis  I play with in  one of my two formal groups are generally friendly and proactive. Our group is very  active on PoP though, even punching  a time clock at the end. We work closely with Parks and local course management for maintaining that PoP, our relationship and maintaining their support for the tee-times provided.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

A little change of pace this weekend for me.  Played Whistler Golf Club and took my young son out with me.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy WGC and was delighted to play there again.  My son played for free with me (after 3pm) and they only charged me for half a cart which was very appreciated.  It was so nice to feel welcome and appreciated with a young child, rather than the nuisance-treatment we get at almost every local course.  

Props to the 2 men we got paired up with as well.  You could tell they were a little annoyed or apprehensive to be paired up with a kid at the start but they seemed to get over it and have a good time as well, or they just faked it...which is appreciated either way.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Beav said:

A little change of pace this weekend for me.  Played Whistler Golf Club and took my young son out with me.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy WGC and was delighted to play there again.  My son played for free with me (after 3pm) and they only charged me for half a cart which was very appreciated.  It was so nice to feel welcome and appreciated with a young child, rather than the nuisance-treatment we get at almost every local course.  

Props to the 2 men we got paired up with as well.  You could tell they were a little annoyed or apprehensive to be paired up with a kid at the start but they seemed to get over it and have a good time as well, or they just faked it...which is appreciated either way.  

I used to take my daughter to the take  a kid to the course program they offered in kelowna 

Looks like morgan had it july 4 to the 10 

Some courses look to offer it all year 

• Like 1

So who here is playing in (or has played in) the Vancouver Open? On the fence about it. I've heard it's a great event but $370+ seems steep for rounds at the 3 city courses. VGT in general seems to have some steep entry fees for their tournaments. So is it worth it for Van Open? Are the courses immaculate for the event? What am I missing? Help me justify the $370. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 6:24 PM, doctorgolf said:

So who here is playing in (or has played in) the Vancouver Open? On the fence about it. I've heard it's a great event but $370+ seems steep for rounds at the 3 city courses. VGT in general seems to have some steep entry fees for their tournaments. So is it worth it for Van Open? Are the courses immaculate for the event? What am I missing? Help me justify the $370. 

I used to play VGT sometimes.  It's a well run org and a great place to play competitive golf, but if you're looking for value it can be tough to find.  

I stopped for 2 reasons:

1) I just can't do the midday tee times and the slower rounds anymore (relative to my usual 630-7am times)

2) It was expensive. Some tournaments were more affordable than others.

I would love to try the Van Open again someday, if for no other reason than to sign a card and see where I stack up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

Anyone know what happened with Kbong 

no ..thought about sending him a pm but didn’t. if anyone does know i suggest a pm to you is an appropriate reply mode.

btw Osoyoos  is back on for my wife’s birthday for a few days in September. Golf isn’t a big deal for her but I booked one round at NK’mIP.  May book one at the exec course Sonora Dunes as well ….some extra golf for me and not long for her. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 7:24 PM, doctorgolf said:

I have played the Vancouver Open once before and have gone to watch the final pro groups during the final round a couple  other times when lived in Vancouver. In my opinion it is worth the money. Especially if you feel you are good enough to potentially win some prizing. When I played I think we got a food voucher for each round that could be used for lunch or post round dinner and there was a decent first tee gift as well (hat, shirt, balls, cool Vancouver Open ball marker). The courses are in the best shape all year generally and it's fun to play all 3 city courses in a row. If you have the time, I'd highly recommend finishing your final round and then heading out to watch the back 9 of the final groups. Usually a decent crowd of 100 or so people following which is fun and it's probably the best golf you will see in the Vancouver area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Northlands yesterday. Place is an absolute hell hole for me. I never play well there and think it's mostly goofy golf. (admittedly, the place is in my head before I even tee off) By the time I get to the green on 4, I'm reminded why I hate the place. 4 could be a decent hole but then they put these absurd and unnecessary mounds all over the green. 

I'll say the conditions were pretty solid though

Edited by Phireside
  • Like 1

Played Swaneset Links about  a week ago, as our course was hosting a tournament.  I love that course. Solid layout and it was in relatively good shape. Pace of play was great as well.

In honor of my love for the course, I donated a bunch of Srixons to the course.

• Haha 2

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

How goes the golf season for everyone this year   ?

Are you all playing the same courses this year or have u been mixing it up 

I'm at 12 different courses so far this year.. I'm really enjoying the variety of playing all over the place..I also have a few that I play at regularly.. I'm finding I enjoy them a little more this year  as it's not the same old grind week in and week out 

Things seem to be slowing down with the golf boom up here a little as I was finally able to get a tee time at the bear this week...first time in a few years 

I also see pred offering up deal times around 1pm for $125 on tee off... when u stack that with the 20 off deal code it's looking like I'm going to finally play pred this year 😆 

Edited by Shushwap

Most of my rounds have been at MC due to me being able to get prime tee times on Saturday morning. Since becoming "temporarily retired" I've been playing once mid week at Fraserview or Riverway by regularly checking for cancelations. I've also got a handful of rounds in at Kings Links at the early part of the season.

For someone who plays as much as I do, my game has been an absolute embarrassment for the past 2 seasons. Just cannot get anything going once the head covers come off on the tee. This was once the best part of my game. 

• Like 1