Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

11 hours ago, Shushwap said:

I'm supposed to be down that way in the next couple of weeks for a couple rounds.. I'm a little worried my friend is going to bail out on me.. what are my odds of getting on somewhere on a Saturday morning as a single 

I have westwood booked for Saturday the 14th and I don't think they allow singles.. I guess I should call and plead my case 

If it rains, your chances are good. If you call and let them know, they will most likely not let you keep it. I find courses around here are not single friendly, even though they should have no trouble getting another single slotted in.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Phireside said:

If it rains, your chances are good. If you call and let them know, they will most likely not let you keep it. I find courses around here are not single friendly, even though they should have no trouble getting another single slotted in.

That's what I kinda thought..reading around a lot of the courses say no singles

@Shushwap I've seen singles loitering around Riverway waiting to get on. I assume they usually do. Have had a couple join up with us in the past. They have a decent range you can hit balls on while you wait if it comes to that. I'm not sure about Kings Links but they seem like they could be single friendly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phireside said:

Anyone been to Tower Ranch this year? I find myself needing to be in Kelowna for a couple days and looks like Tower is the only course with a tee time that works for my schedule? I've never played there

My buddy is a member there..I haven't played it this year..

Greens are usually super quick..decent track.. some folks  don't like it.. as it's hard on the score card 

It's up on a bench some of the holes have a nice view of kelowna..

Quail 18 green and tee box are under going a re do..I would avoid there until late summer when they hope to have it finished 

To bad as they are building condos on the 18 fairway and shrinking it down to a par 3 

Welcome to golf in the Okanagan where tee times are non existent 

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I've got a 7:12am tee time on Saturday May 14 at Fraserview which in a strange twist none of my regular golf buddies can make.  Anyone want to come out and join me?  I think it's $73.  I'm not sure about conditions as I haven't played there in a couple months.  

Figured I'd ask before cancelling it, I understand it's probably too early for most.

Edited by The Beav

Apologies if something similar has been asked before.

We're from Victoria, coming through the Vancouver area and have time for one round en route to Sagebrush in late June. Landing in Tsawwassen, trying not to stray too far off the highway, pricing not really a factor, none of us have really played any golf in Vancouver before. If you had one round, where would you play?

Started looking at Morgan Creek, Kings Links, etc.

We do also have some reciprocals in the area, not sure if they're any nicer than the public tracks; Beach Grove, Quilchena, Seymour, Pitt Meadows, and Ledgeview are all available to us as well.

Any recommendations?

On 5/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, The Beav said:

Hey guys,

I've got a 7:12am tee time on Saturday May 14 at Fraserview which in a strange twist none of my regular golf buddies can make.  Anyone want to come out and join me?  I think it's $73.  I'm not sure about conditions as I haven't played there in a couple months.  

Figured I'd ask before cancelling it, I understand it's probably too early for most.

Did you wind up with any takers?

I played MC and it rained far more than expected. Not fun.

7 minutes ago, TheBeerHandle said:

We're from Victoria, coming through the Vancouver area and have time for one round en route to Sagebrush in late June. Landing in Tsawwassen, trying not to stray too far off the highway, pricing not really a factor, none of us have really played any golf in Vancouver before. If you had one round, where would you play?

We do also have some reciprocals in the area, not sure if they're any nicer than the public tracks; Beach Grove, Quilchena, Seymour, Pitt Meadows, and Ledgeview are all available to us as well.

Any recommendations?

Morgan is not far from your landing and Kings is right there too. I would take MC most any day over the local courses except for fraserview, but it's a war trying to get a tee time there. Wish I could play 50/50 MC and Fraserview.

37 minutes ago, TheBeerHandle said:

Any recommendations?

I would try to play Beach Grove GC.  Only about 10 minutes off the Hwy 17 which is the road you take off of the ferry. 

Hwy 17 is the easiest way to connect to Hwy 1 and onwards to Sagebrush.

Kings Links is also near Hwy 17 and just a bit east of Beach Grove GC.

Beach Grove is private and in better shape than Kings Links also the F&B at Beach Grove will be better.

Edited by Golfnuck

39 minutes ago, Phireside said:

Did you wind up with any takers?

I played MC and it rained far more than expected. Not fun.

Yeah, ended up finding a couple guys on the Vancouver Golf facebook group and we had a great day out there.  Only rained on us for about 10-15 minutes while playing #10.  

Fraserview was solid as always with a couple soggy fairways but mostly in great shape.  Back to MC next weekend probably.

51 minutes ago, TheBeerHandle said:

Any recommendations?

I'd play Beach Grove or Morgan Creek, given your location/route.  

BG is a great old school track and probably as much fun as you can have on a very flat piece of land.  MC is a more championship layout with conditions that rival any of the private tracks in the area.

11 minutes ago, The Beav said:

Yeah, ended up finding a couple guys on the Vancouver Golf facebook group and we had a great day out there.  Only rained on us for about 10-15 minutes while playing #10.  

I don't really do Facebook so I had no idea there was such a thing. Just requested a join because I have such a hard time booking as I'm always a single.

i forgot next weekend was long weekend and now I'm totally screwed for Saturday 😞

Edited by IcemanYVR

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

10 hours ago, Phireside said:

Morgan is not far from your landing and Kings is right there too. I would take MC most any day over the local courses except for fraserview, but it's a war trying to get a tee time there. Wish I could play 50/50 MC and Fraserview.

One can of course book  30 days in advance  for the Vancouver munis for a  non- refundable $5 per player. I booked Fraserview early yesterday morning for a foursome on  June 13 when it came open and I had the choice of times. That was for  a Monday, perhaps the choice weekend ones get snapped up soon as the booking gates open?  Hmmm…. there  will be some Men’s Club weekend morning reserved  times too.

My group is playing Mayfair tomorrow.  Hearing the pounding rain on our roof again tonight from yet  another. Noah- worthy storm pass since late afternoon it probably will be soggy even if there is otherwise little blessings from the sky. Oh joy. 

Edited by myspinonit

On 5/15/2022 at 11:55 AM, IcemanYVR said:

I don't really do Facebook so I had no idea there was such a thing. Just requested a join because I have such a hard time booking as I'm always a single.

i forgot next weekend was long weekend and now I'm totally screwed for Saturday 😞

We may have a spot open on Saturday morning (early) at Morgan.  I should know by Wednesday.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phireside said:

Gorgeous out there this AM. You guys must have been out sweeping dew. Looks like a little fog in the air still.

I ditched the sweater after a couple of holes and was wishing for shorts by mid round.

We teed off at 7am. Rolled in 4:04 later. Not bad for a Saturday on a Long Weekend.

I was in long pants, shorts would have been nice. It was quite warm today. 

2 hours ago, The Beav said:

Those photos are soooo good!

Thanks. I had a pretty nice canvas to work with 😀

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, Phireside said:

I was off at 8.

Just realized those photos represent the start and finish of the round. But did you tee off from the tips or just stand there for the photo?

I took those photos when I got there just after 6. The light was so nice I had to take as many as I could. 

We played the blues. It’s a solid test from there. I’ve played the tips before, I can’t imagine doing that anymore. 

The greens were very fast, but at least they rolled true. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Phireside said:

We play the blue/white combo. That's enough for my current game. 

I’ve probably got 30 to 40 + years  on most of you  [and probably 40 + yards less now (lol)] so I’m glad that more forward tee options, and combo options, are being offered on various courses and played by both sexes.

Including some courses that are being creative to help reduce the “red tee stigma”. Like Mayfair that makes Blue the forward one, and the bit weird number tees on the Vancouver munis. Van has combo tees for every permutation now, but they don’t put them on the scorecard…one has to know to ask at the proshop. How is that going to promote play it forward  and help pace of play with the general public? I wrote to Van Parks a few weeks ago and provided a copy of the University card that has got it figured out, but as expected I got no response. 

I have the Vancouver combos  on a .pdf if anyone is curious, send me a PM.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Those photos are amazing.. nice work !!!

I hope u all shot in the 70,s as this is wrx 😆 

One of us did... @The Beav shot a smooth 76. I played golf swing not golf for the first 6 holes so that took the air out of my round

• Like 2

11 hours ago, myspinonit said:

I’ve probably got 30 to 40 + years  on most of you  [and probably 40 + yards less now (lol)] so I’m glad that more forward tee options, and combo options, are being offered on various courses and played by both sexes.

Including some courses that are being creative to help reduce the “red tee stigma”. Like Mayfair that makes Blue the forward one, and the bit weird number tees on the Vancouver munis. Van has combo tees for every permutation now, but they don’t put them on the scorecard…one has to know to ask at the proshop. How is that going to promote play it forward  and help pace of play with the general public? I wrote to Van Parks a few weeks ago and provided a copy of the University card that has got it figured out, but as expected I got no response. 

I have the Vancouver combos  on a .pdf if anyone is curious, send me a PM.

I think more people need to play the combos or a tee forward.. Im not John Daly... I may look like him aka fat white guy lol.... I sure dont bomb them like he does...

I remember playing the rise last year.. we were paired up with a couple of younger dudes... Early 30,s

They played off the back tees and on the first tee box its a bit of a carry to get to the fairway... The first guy didnt make it to the fairway and the second guy just made it... WHY play the back tees if you are not bombing the driver... Move up a tee or 2 and enjoy the day... Have a beer or water and be happy the wife is not nattering in your ear for a few hours