2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

1 minute ago, Chanceman said:

We have 2 days in Vancouver early May before going back to Australia. Cant get on Capilano so our choices are Morgan Creek, Fraserview or University. Which do we play? Give us your 1-2-3. Thanks.

Yes. Capilano is ultra private. Probably couldn’t get in even if you were a member of Royal Melbourne. 

Morgan Creek, Fraserview, then University, in that order. Morgan Creek is a 45 min drive from Downtown Vancouver, but I would play there every day if I could. 

Fraserview is arguably one of the top municipal courses in Canada, which by May should be in top condition.  

There is nothing special about UniversityGC, but it’s the closest course to downtown.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

5 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

Yes. Capilano is ultra private. Probably couldn’t get in even if you were a member of Royal Melbourne. 

Morgan Creek, Fraserview, then University, in that order. Morgan Creek is a 45 min drive from Downtown Vancouver, but I would play there every day if I could. 

Fraserview is arguably one of the top municipal courses in Canada, which by May should be in top condition.  

There is nothing special about UniversityGC, but it’s the closest course to downtown.  

Thanks for that assessment. Would Morgan Creek offer anything like a 4-5 hour round? Fraserview? Presumably both are walkable. Btw We are staying in Richmond.

13 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Thanks for that assessment. Would Morgan Creek offer anything like a 4-5 hour round? Fraserview? Presumably both are walkable. Btw We are staying in Richmond.

Unless you are playing on a long weekend, I think a 4 1/2 hour round is not a problem. Both are walkable if you are a normal able bodied human. 

Morgan Creek is just off the main highway from Richmond, so will be less of a drive than quoted earlier. 

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

We have 2 days in Vancouver early May before going back to Australia. Cant get on Capilano so our choices are Morgan Creek, Fraserview or University. Which do we play? Give us your 1-2-3. Thanks.

I'm going to say Fraserview, Morgan, University. I love Fraserview but can't ever get a tee time so my desire to play there is heightened. 

As I recall you are going to have a great trip with many great courses, so I'm going to throw Furry Creek (known for the filming of Happy Gilmour) in to the mix for you. A little ways out of town, and not much of a golf course, but truly beautiful scenery. I may get roasted for saying it, but I said it!

Edit: I see you are staying in Richmond. Furry will be an even greater stretch of a drive.

Edited by Phireside

9 hours ago, Phireside said:

I'm going to say Fraserview, Morgan, University. I love Fraserview but can't ever get a tee time so my desire to play there is heightened. 

As I recall you are going to have a great trip with many great courses, so I'm going to throw Furry Creek (known for the filming of Happy Gilmour) in to the mix for you. A little ways out of town, and not much of a golf course, but truly beautiful scenery. I may get roasted for saying it, but I said it!

Edit: I see you are staying in Richmond. Furry will be an even greater stretch of a drive.

Whatever you decide, book now!!   I just took  a peak at Fraserview for May 9 as an example.  Times available before 7am then after 1pm. I don't know Morgan Creek hardly at all, do know FV and University well and think Fraserview is the better bet of the two and not far from Richmond.  I think with it's tree-lined fairways it is  a great example of our habitat. I played yesterday and it was in good shape for this time of the year (just a few squishy lies) and greens surprisingly fast.   FV is scheduled for aeration April 25-27 so that might bear on your decision to play there early May.

University aerated last week so lots of time to heal. That said, it was really sloppy when I played it a couple of weeks ago and fairways need to grow in. Though I am in a group that gets tee-times there Wednesday I am staying away from it till May till after we hopefully get a stretch of sun.

You didn't mention McCleery, also another City public course that has  a solid and pretty layout and plays a bit tougher than Fraserview,especially the back 9.  I last played it March 31 and it wasn't in bad shape  (a lot better shape than my game was!!!) though wet in parts.  Aeration was last week and I had  a report that it was in good  shape by last weekend and should be  in great shape for our game this coming Thursday.

Edited by myspinonit

1 hour ago, Haroputt said:

Vote for Riverway golf course in Burnaby  I played a couple times in the winter there and drainage is excellent  Was playing Sunday and fairways were dry and didn’t need to lift and clean ball from fairway. Green are in good shape 

I like Riverway too and agree about the drainage and condition. I played there a week ago. 

However as the booking policy is only three days in advance I suggest that it is not really a viable option for the Australian travellers advance planning.   I also don't think the surroundings (by a minor highway and warehouses)  and lack of separation between holes showcases our fair city and suburbs as well as the other suggestions. 

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Whatever you decide, book now!!   I just took  a peak at Fraserview for May 9 as an example.  Times available before 7am then after 1pm. I don't know Morgan Creek hardly at all, do know FV and University well and think Fraserview is the better bet of the two and not far from Richmond.  I think with it's tree-lined fairways it is  a great example of our habitat. I played yesterday and it was in good shape for this time of the year (just a few squishy lies) and greens surprisingly fast.   FV is scheduled for aeration April 25-27 so that might bear on your decision to play there early May.

University aerated last week so lots of time to heal. That said, it was really sloppy when I played it a couple of weeks ago and fairways need to grow in. Though I am in a group that gets tee-times there Wednesday I am staying away from it till May till after we hopefully get a stretch of sun.

You didn't mention McCleery, also another City public course that has  a solid and pretty layout and plays a bit tougher than Fraserview,especially the back 9.  I last played it March 31 and it wasn't in bad shape  (a lot better shape than my game was!!!) though wet in parts.  Aeration was last week and I had  a report that it was in good  shape by last weekend and should be  in great shape for our game this coming Thursday.

Took your advice and called MC direct - they were able to reserve a tee time for us. So we are good to go.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Took your advice and called MC direct - they were able to reserve a tee time for us. So we are good to go.

One other course to consider if you’re looking for a second to play  is Northview, Ridge Course. It was the host to the PGATour’s Air Canada Championship back in the late ‘90s early 2000s. It’s usually in good shape by that time of year. Arnold Palmer design, it’s a decent layout. 

it’s in Surrey, but not really that far from Richmond. 

Edited by IcemanYVR
  • Like 1

Just now, The Beav said:

I also love Redwoods but it's being ripped apart for the pipeline and closing for the year starting next week.

For real? That’s insane. That’s a great course, too bad 😞

16 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

With any luck the workers will lose their GPS and tear up Belmont instead.😀

Maybe they can go through Newlands and Royalwood as well 🙂

15 hours ago, Phireside said:

The email they sent says they are going to use this as an opportunity to make improvements. Drainage, tee boxes, bunkers.

Wow what an opportunity for the owners of Redwoods.

They will fully compensation for 1 year of lost revenues based on the previous year which as we all know the golf courses were making out like bandits.

Plus while they are shut down on the pipeline company's dime they can make improvements to the holes that are not part of the construction.

Plus they will be fully compensated for the holes impacted by the construction.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, The Beav said:

Great advice in here so far.  My 3 favorite (public) courses are:

1) Morgan Creek

2) Northview Ridge

3) Fraserview

I also love Redwoods but it's being ripped apart for the pipeline and closing for the year starting next week.

We have 

Morgan 

Northview ridge 

Fraserview 

What are everyone's must play courses in the area 

It feels like -5 up here most days with this cold wind 

All I get to do are read the forums about u all playing 

Load me up on courses I must look at in the area

Anything from Chilliwack in 

I'm running out of things to google  😆 

A couple buddies played The Falls today and came away impressed with the overall condition of the course. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

11 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

A couple buddies played The Falls today and came away impressed with the overall condition of the course. 

I've played the Falls a couple of times. If I'm driving that far for a round of golf I'm going to cross the River and choose Sandpiper every time.

15 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

That's interesting. 

Every time I've played The Falls (not in the last 3 years) the conditions have been so poor that even if I had cattle, I wouldn't let them graze there.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

I played the falls once as well as sandpiper.. it was on the same trip..I also played one in Chilliwack.. can't remember the name of it.

It was towards Abbotsford..not the one next to the river 

Any other must play tracks down there 

I've played all of them over the years... Royalwood is next to the **** (could be construed as a river), Chilliwack GC there is no water, same with Meadowlands but that's really far East. The other is Ledgeview, but that's almost in Abbotsford proper.

50 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

I've played all of them over the years... Royalwood is next to the **** (could be construed as a river), Chilliwack GC there is no water, same with Meadowlands but that's really far East. The other is Ledgeview, but that's almost in Abbotsford proper.

Chilliwack gc. That was the place 

Never played royal wood.. I drove out there once years ago and they wouldn't let me on as I didn't have a collared shirt 

10 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Any must play courses on the lower mainland...

I think Riverway is a great course. Haven't been yet this year. Think they punched a few weeks ago. Should be playing nicely.

If you're walking and want to get your glutes firing, you could try Northlands, but I would not call it a must play. Just something different. 

• Like 1