Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

16 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Thanks for the info.  Can you get them in Canada?....couldn't see that in a quick search.

This recent thread segway got me thinking...not that I'm short of shoes, keeping trying to find the right one. Mostly Eccos a couple Footjoys now, but none now are a perfect fit ..looking  for a better fit in XW.  Prefer spiked as they are replaceable. Like hen's teeth here.

The Footjoy Tradiitions in XW seemed promising from Amazon.com, but would not ship here. So I ordered the same model from Footjoy Canada in Wide 1/2 size larger with free shipping and free returns today. We'll see.

Edit: ps- If Getting wide toe shoes is obviously a big deal for more members than I would have expected  in this small sub-forum there has got to be  a lot bigger potential market than is being addressed by manufacturers and vendors, at least in Canada.

They do ship internationally. Obviously that comes with an additional price, but it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately there aren't any dealers up here as far as I know to try on a pair. I swing it pretty fast and I haven't noticed any slippage with the spikeless. The tread is pretty aggressive. Like you say though the spikes are not replaceable. I always take great care of my shoes and I've found that by the time the spikes start to wear enough to notice a difference the shoe could probably be upgraded anyway. 

I agree on the fact that more wide shoes are needed. I think there is more demand day to day for shoes with wide toe boxes anyway. I work at a gym and have noticed a lot more people these days wearing wide toe box shoes. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jordan_mccomb said:

They do ship internationally. Obviously that comes with an additional price, but it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately there aren't any dealers up here as far as I know to try on a pair. I swing it pretty fast and I haven't noticed any slippage with the spikeless. The tread is pretty aggressive. Like you say though the spikes are not replaceable. I always take great care of my shoes and I've found that by the time the spikes start to wear enough to notice a difference the shoe could probably be upgraded anyway. 

I agree on the fact that more wide shoes are needed. I think there is more demand day to day for shoes with wide toe boxes anyway. I work at a gym and have noticed a lot more people these days wearing wide toe box shoes. 

Thanks for the info. I think I may have tried an earlier Tru model.

Meantime, as this discussion got me thinking,  I ordered a pair of FJ Traditions (spiked) online from FJ Canada in 8 1/2 W, that the customer service told me would be as wide as 8xw ( which was not available). Free shipping and free returns.

I saw the model  for the first time at Langara today (just standard widths) and  they are very lightweight. I hope they fit well as I think they could be good for summer golf  and great to pack for travel.

I generally prefer spiked, at least in wetter conditions, but today I used the Ecco Biom H4 GoreTex spikeless I got on a great sale price last September from GolfTown. Might only be the second round with them before I had to pause  for health reasons, then winter weather.  It really wasn't "wet" today at Langara, just soft conditions. The traction was good and the width seemed ok for me, though I used thinner socks.   I'd still likely use my Ecco Biom G3 spiked with softer yak leather and GoreTex in the summer too in a rotation with the Tradition, probably not so much the H4; guess I'd have to see if the H4 get hot.

I actually tried phoning Golf Town Customer service today to suggest the wide shoe market might be bigger than their buyers see, if just a relatively inconspicuous local golf  forum  has a number of wide-foot candidates looking elsewhere for product.  However, they aren't taking phone calls right now. I didn't bother sending in  a contact form as the only option.

Edited by myspinonit

6 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

I actually tried phoning Golf Town Customer service today to suggest the wide shoe market might be bigger than their buyers see, if just a relatively inconspicuous local golf  forum  has a number of wide-foot candidates looking elsewhere for product.  However, they aren't taking phone calls right now. I didn't bother sending in  a contact form as the only option.

Funny you say that as my local Golf town cut me off ordering anymore extra wides from the usa... They didnt out and out say it to me... When I tried to order more shoes I was told that the model was not available... I pulled up footjoy usa on my phone and the kid said he had tried to order for someone else and he wasnt able to process the order... I guess after 4 pairs of EW they cut me off... At least they took them all back and refunded me... Funny as I was in there  recently and they didnt have any of the shoes I had ordered... Seems a miracle happened and others with ew feet snapped them all up.. shocking as that me seem lol

Redwoods yesterday.  Soggy ground in any low area but greens were rolling great.  Greens seem to have some sort of weirdness going on (disease?) As they are all camo color and the practice green is closed.  Was a nice morning though and we had the course to ourselves.

Didn't have my best stuff yesterday and got humbled by the front 9 lol.

4 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

Other than the Prime Plus Advance Booking Fee going to  over $14 per person (and I don't really know what that is,  and it doesn't jump out at me looking at their site) I don't see the proposed changes out of line.  Burnaby has already been under-priced compared to the other courses. And as some have commented in this thread the $ they spent fixing up drainage makes them about the best-draining around now.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phireside said:

Morgan has a GC quad as of the last time I took a lesson there. 2-3 years ago.

Thanks, that’s good to know. MC is a little far except for my once a year must-play round there. Trying to find somewhere indoors. Modern Golf has Trackman, was just wondering about other options. 

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

17 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

Thanks, that’s good to know. MC is a little far except for my once a year must-play round there. Trying to find somewhere indoors. Modern Golf has Trackman, was just wondering about other options. 

Go Go golf in Richmond has some shot track equipment, not sure of brand.

8 hours ago, IcemanYVR said:

Are there any indoor practice/simulator places around that use the Foresight GC equipment. 

Over the winter I went to VGA a few times to get some numbers.  They have 2 GC Hawks and then a bunch of Unikor.  I didn't like the Unikor personally but the GC Hawks were awesome.  

It's close to Ikea Coquitlam and I think charged me $40/hr or something? I booked in online, just make sure you specify that you are booking the GC Hawk and not the other ones.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Beav said:

Over the winter I went to VGA a few times to get some numbers.  They have 2 GC Hawks and then a bunch of Unikor.  I didn't like the Unikor personally but the GC Hawks were awesome.  

It's close to Ikea Coquitlam and I think charged me $40/hr or something? I booked in online, just make sure you specify that you are booking the GC Hawk and not the other ones.

Cool. Exactly what I’m looking for. 

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Played Meadow Gardens yesterday. Had no rain, but the night before took care of that. 
The greens are surprisingly good for this time of year. No roll on the fairways, but I really wasn’t expecting any. 
My coach has moved to South Vancouver, so lessons will be few and far between. Using this time of the year to practice on course. 
Bunkers are awful so we played them as GUR until yesterday, as we now have to post scores. 
Can’t wait for the day when I finally see a ball bouncing on the fairways again 🥴

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Just now, Shushwap said:

With the border reopening soon.. Who all plans to jump over the border for a round or 2 this year and if so.. Where do u plan to play 

For sure I want to play Chamber’s Bay, along with maybe one or two more. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, IcemanYVR said:

For sure I want to play Chamber’s Bay, along with maybe one or two more. 

Chambers is one of my all-time favorites.  It's one of the few courses where I just get this amazing feeling the second I set foot on the property, and it lasts until I leave.  

My buddies and I also enjoy playing Washington National.  Really nice parkland style course.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Beav said:

Chambers is one of my all-time favorites.  It's one of the few courses where I just get this amazing feeling the second I set foot on the property, and it lasts until I leave.  

My buddies and I also enjoy playing Washington National.  Really nice parkland style course.

Washington National is where the UW Huskies Golf play isn’t it? That’s another one on my list. Looks good from what I’ve seen. 

^^ My goals for x border golf are a little (a lot) less spectacular.  Perhaps   La Conner or Mukilteo as a base for two to three days and getting my wife to golf at least once.  She likes Avalon.She really stopped since Covid other than maybe two rounds.

We still have Palm Springs on the books for all of November. Hopeful to find guys from my golf groups going at the same time so I’ll have some tee times  rather than going as a single mostly.

Anyone going to Pumpkin Ridge on our Canadian long weekend to see Greg’s LIV tour-and whoever might show to play?😁

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Anyone going to Pumpkin Ridge on our Canadian long weekend to see Greg’s LIV tour-and whoever might show to play?😁

Last time I was at Pumpkin Ridge was to see Annika play in 1997. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Beav said:

I've gone from being annoyed by my cheap friends, to being the cheap friend.

The price of buying a home and having kids...is steep haha

10 minutes ago, Phireside said:

Reading between the lines here, this is sage advice. I will continue not having kids!

As a parent of three kids... choose one

• Like 2

The way prices are going on everything I may not be able to afford to play golf much longer.. $2 for fuel to get to the course.. $150 for a round.. Throw lunch and drinks  in there and it's $250 to play a round of golf.. My buddies used to make fun of me for packing a lunch when I would play.. I noticed more of them bringing snacks or water with them last year.. 

I don't think the average Joe has a extra grand a month to play once a week 

I feel bad for courses as this golf boom is going to slow down 

How many rounds do u all plan to get in this year if u do not have a  membership at a course ? 

I'm looking at around 20.. Possibly a few more as my kid got a job at a course this year.. Hopefully he can hook up the old man for some cheap golf.. Need to get something out of these money sucking kids lol 

There is a idea I never thought of.. I should have started my kids on the path of golf course maintenance when they were young.. Groomed them to be a super at a high end course.. I didn't think that through lol 

2 hours ago, Shushwap said:

How many rounds do u all plan to get in this year if u do not have a  membership at a course ? 

I'm looking at around 20.. Possibly a few more as my kid got a job at a course this year.. Hopefully he can hook up the old man for some cheap golf..

I'm hoping to play twice a month, excluding practice, with one of those rounds being late twilight at UBC and just playing the first four holes in rotation to work on my playing skills. And then once a month at a nicer course like Fraserview, Morgan Creek or a destination course if I can make it work.

Edit: and a good practice session for me is 20-30 minutes hitting balls then up to an hour working on my short game.

Edited by IcemanYVR
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Shushwap said:

The way prices are going on everything I may not be able to afford to play golf much longer.. $2 for fuel to get to the course.. $150 for a round.. Throw lunch and drinks  in there and it's $250 to play a round of golf.. My buddies used to make fun of me for packing a lunch when I would play.. I noticed more of them bringing snacks or water with them last year.. 

I feel bad for courses as this golf boom is going to slow down 

I'm looking at around 20.. Possibly a few more as my kid got a job at a course this year.. Hopefully he can hook up the old man for some cheap golf.. Need to get something out of these money sucking kids lol 

There is a idea I never thought of.. I should have started my kids on the path of golf course maintenance when they were young.. Groomed them to be a super at a high end course.. I didn't think that through lol 

Lunch and drinks can really add up. I'm super tight when it comes to that. Pack my own water bottle and protein bar. I play early so not tempted to drink, but if I do play during "drinking hours", I have no shame or guilt tossing some beers in my bag with the price of a round. I'll buy one at the course if I'm feeling generous. Through the course of a year, I doubt I spend more than an extra $100 at the course.

• Like 2