Tiger trackman data Honda Classic

jus711

I remember that tournament it was after Tiger blew out his knee in 2008 and came back, he never really got all his old speed back after that until this week which is why I think it’s been such a big story. I don’t know how the drives he hit on 3 this week were “flushed” that was the hole they measured the swing speed on and he missed the fairway all 4 days and never played the shot he wanted to, he had 184 ball speed on 10 Friday, if we’re saying ball speed readings are accurate then him reaching 125 clubhead speeds isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a tiger and Phil from over 10 years ago if y'all are curious...

They were paired together Thursday and Friday and at the height of their powers...

Tiger was hitting stinger drivers due to wind....it was awesome

-Chris

Must've been some wind!.. 119 clubhead speed, 249 carry. youch.

Surprised Phil only got 5 more yards of carry (assuming same hole and conditions) than that first photo of TW. Seems like his launch conditions would have meant greater carry than just 5 yards.

Look at the lauch angle on the 3rd. he probably pinched it a hair thin. Phil immediately embraced hitting up on driver while tiger never did.

They were paired together Thursday and Friday and at the height of their powers...

-Chris

Surprised Phil only got 5 more yards of carry (assuming same hole and conditions) than that first photo of TW. Seems like his launch conditions would have meant greater carry than just 5 yards.

Look at the lauch angle on the 3rd. he probably pinched it a hair thin. Phil immediately embraced hitting up on driver while tiger never did.

I assumed he was hitting a stinger into the wind in the 3rd photo.

Why this fascination with computer generator number? Wow high ball speed he’s great. Wow low smash factor he sucks.

All that matters is that he couldn’t hit a fairway and he finished 12th.

The rest is all supposition.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

NO WAY!! Trackman's on TOUR always read a little fast in my opinion, especially this time!

Take a look at Trackman.com's data on players from their personal practice/fitting sessions and compare it to their speeds in tournaments on TV. It's always been 2-4MPH high on TV and I have mounds of data to prove it!!

Why this fascination with computer generator number? Wow high ball speed he’s great. Wow low smash factor he sucks.

Couldn't hit a fairway...Justin Thomas was T60 in fairway percentage, Luke List was T65 in fairway percentage, and Tiger was T45 in fairway percentage. Bad mistakes on the par 3's cost Tiger a lot more than driving accuracy troubles.

He hit more fairways then JT or List who were in the playoff. It’s meaningful for this reason: Tiger Woods is one of the Top 5 golfers of all time and easily the greatest and most compelling of this generation. To be able to compete physically at his age and with his surgeries at a level he did in his 20s is remarkable. It would be like Jordan coming back and dunking from the free throw line at 42, it just awfully impressive even if it’s meaningless to the competition or final score. Also, being one of the longest players was always part of his advantage and it was in great doubt whether he could be ever again. Other players have been long in their 40s-Jack, Phil, Vijay, Stenson-and it led to them being able to be dominant players for stretches at that age. Whether or not the numbers are exactly accurate or just in the ballpark the fact that he was the fastest swinger for the week and 3/4 days in a full field speaks volumes. He couldn’t have been the only player to find the lucky spot to get 5 mph extra clubhead speed everyday, if the numbers were faulty they were faulty for everyone and he was still the fastest.

I like it when the Tiger lovers come out to support their man. Say anything bad and they jump on your

Tiger might be top 5 golfer if you go by swing speed and wins but as human being he is near the bottom.

Jack is number 1 and will always be number 1.

Tiger will never will another major and I doubt he will ever win another tournament.

Ok, no comments please because I’m not listening. Tiger needs to retire and go back to trying to be a navy seal. Or play video games.

Out.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

I like it when the Tiger lovers come out to support their man. Say anything bad and they jump on your

Tiger might be top 5 golfer if you go by swing speed and wins but as human being he is near the bottom.

Tiger will never will another major and I doubt he will ever win another tournament.

Ok, no comments please because I’m not listening. Tiger needs to retire and go back to trying to be a navy seal. Or play video games.

Out.

The only thing missing from that idiocy was a #MAGA ?

Out.

Why does tiger as a person matter to anyone? Unless you know him personally it really shouldn't matter.

Out.

So you will say a bunch of comments but then stick your fingers in your ears? lol what a tool :superman:

-Chris

I assumed he was hitting a stinger into the wind in the 3rd photo.

I dont think so at that swing speed.I could be wrong though

Iteachgolf, all things considered with the different angles of tee box TrackMan (I’ve wondered about that affecting the numbers as well, thanks for verifying), is ball speed at least accurate?

I’d assume so. It’s the easiest thing to measure and get correct.

Iteachgolf, all things considered with the different angles of tee box TrackMan (I’ve wondered about that affecting the numbers as well, thanks for verifying), is ball speed at least accurate?

I’d assume so. It’s the easiest thing to measure and get correct.

Some good discussion in this thread

Out.

Sure must be nice to be high up on that horse of yours.

NO WAY!! Trackman's on TOUR always read a little fast in my opinion, especially this time!

Take a look at Trackman.com's data on players from their personal practice/fitting sessions and compare it to their speeds in tournaments on TV. It's always been 2-4MPH high on TV and I have mounds of data to prove it!!

So that still makes his swing speed low to mid 120’s mph swing speed if you take account of your so called proved data. Still doesn’t make it much of a different does it?

The most impressive thing about all this is that Brandel is acknowledging Tiger's club head speed.

Whatever his clubhead speed was I did see ball speed on one of his rounds at 184mph on the 10th hole. That's one of the highest I've seen in quite some time. It seems most of the big hitters includinig DJ stay in the low 180s. Tiger's "speed" is back. He was very precise with his irons too. Now he just needs those "reps" to get into real playing shape.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Something is wrong with the club head speed measurement. Likely the ball speed is accurate, hard to believe Tiger is posting below average golfer smash factor numbers. For sure everyone should enjoy a 42 year old man generating these numbers. As everyone knows who has had back issues, it only takes 1 wrong swing. I would be much more concerned by a couple of those extremely hard swings he took out of the rough than a driver off a flat surface.with good footing..However a number of times at the Honda he started to pick up his tee and skipped it. I was there and the tees were not broken..

So that still makes his swing speed low to mid 120’s mph swing speed if you take account of your so called proved data. Still doesn’t make it much of a different does it?

Adding 4-8 MPH in the 120's is astronomically hard. Heck, even at 110, it's incredibly difficult.

I truly don't care enough to dig to find all the data I've scoured over the past couple years, so if you'll actually just give me the benefit of the doubt, here's a couple highlights...

- While testing the New (at the time) PING G30 at PING HQ, PING was bragging that Bubba's SS increased 1.5mph due to improved aerodynamics. They even showed his stats to prove it. He "improved" to 121 on their Trackman but his avg TOUR SS that year was 124.5.

- Seen Justin Thomas's Trackman stats from a driver fitting session w/ Titleist and 75% of his shots were 116mph with the high at 118...he averages much more than that on TOUR.

- The Oven at old Nike HQ, showed a spec sheet of Rory's driver fitting session and he was within 1mph of 117 (Trackman) the whole session...obviously we know his TOUR avg is faster than that.

- Seen similar data on DJ, Jason Day, Jordan Spieth and many others.

I know JT and Rory may be a touch faster now, but even at the time it was well below their TOUR avg...

Take it for what it's worth. Maybe not much. Haha

Adding 4-8 MPH in the 120's is astronomically hard. Heck, even at 110, it's incredibly difficult.

I truly don't care enough to dig to find all the data I've scoured over the past couple years, so if you'll actually just give me the benefit of the doubt, here's a couple highlights...

- While testing the New (at the time) PING G30 at PING HQ, PING was bragging that Bubba's SS increased 1.5mph due to improved aerodynamics. They even showed his stats to prove it. He "improved" to 121 on their Trackman but his avg TOUR SS that year was 124.5.

- Seen Justin Thomas's Trackman stats from a driver fitting session w/ Titleist and 75% of his shots were 116mph with the high at 118...he averages much more than that on TOUR.

- The Oven at old Nike HQ, showed a spec sheet of Rory's driver fitting session and he was within 1mph of 117 (Trackman) the whole session...obviously we know his TOUR avg is faster than that.

I know JT and Rory may be a touch faster now, but even at the time it was well below their TOUR avg...

My understanding is that on course swings are always a little faster than the range.

Fwiw I have seen his numbers on the practice tee, the fastest I saw personally was 127 ss and ball speed was 180 plus. This might sound dumb, but he actually picked up a couple mph from different shafts. In addition to his usual setup he tried a TP7 and an Oban for sure, the others I didn't get a good look at.

How did you see the speed of his practice session? That's cool!

My understanding is that on course swings are always a little faster than the range.

Thats a good point!

Fwiw I have seen his numbers on the practice tee, the fastest I saw personally was 127 ss and ball speed was 180 plus. This might sound dumb, but he actually picked up a couple mph from different shafts. In addition to his usual setup he tried a TP7 and an Oban for sure, the others I didn't get a good look at.

That jibes with the pgatour article I posted that about one of Tiger’s fitting sessions. It was 125/126 with 181/182 ball speed. I think people are conditioned to solely look at 1.5 smash and assume that any pro who’s not getting somewhere close to that then something must be off without considering other factors. Maybe Trackman overestimates club speed when there’s a negative AoA or underestimates it with a positive AoA, ultimately I agree that it really doesn’t matter but it’s just good to see that Tiger can still pound it, it’s necessary to his game and how he plays golf. I don’t think he really cares if his clubhead speed is 128 or not, he’s much more concerned about ball speed and what he can control, if he can get similar ball speeds with less effort than why not.

That jibes with the pgatour article I posted that about one of Tiger's fitting sessions. It was 125/126 with 181/182 ball speed. I think people are conditioned to solely look at 1.5 smash and assume that any pro who's not getting somewhere close to that then something must be off without considering other factors. Maybe Trackman overestimates club speed when there's a negative AoA or underestimates it with a positive AoA, ultimately I agree that it really doesn't matter but it's just good to see that Tiger can still pound it, it's necessary to his game and how he plays golf. I don't think he really cares if his clubhead speed is 128 or not, he's much more concerned about ball speed and what he can control, if he can get similar ball speeds with less effort than why not.

He averaged 175 ball speed in 2013 and won 5 times including 3 top level fields (PLAYERS Championship and 2 WGC's). If he has the short game in order, keeps the ball in play, and has his iron game in good order...he doesn't need 180+ ball speed to win. Nobody does if they are very good at the other areas of the game.

That jibes with the pgatour article I posted that about one of Tiger's fitting sessions. It was 125/126 with 181/182 ball speed. I think people are conditioned to solely look at 1.5 smash and assume that any pro who's not getting somewhere close to that then something must be off without considering other factors. Maybe Trackman overestimates club speed when there's a negative AoA or underestimates it with a positive AoA, ultimately I agree that it really doesn't matter but it's just good to see that Tiger can still pound it, it's necessary to his game and how he plays golf. I don't think he really cares if his clubhead speed is 128 or not, he's much more concerned about ball speed and what he can control, if he can get similar ball speeds with less effort than why not.

He averaged 175 ball speed in 2013 and won 5 times including 3 top level fields (PLAYERS Championship and 2 WGC's). If he has the short game in order, keeps the ball in play, and has his iron game in good order...he doesn't need 180+ ball speed to win. Nobody does if they are very good at the other areas of the game.

Fair enough, “need” is probably overstating it, but it’s a nice pitch to have in your arsenal particularly if you’re going to be inaccurate off the tee as he’s almost always been. Plus, I’d argue that the power games is even more important now vs just a few years ago. DJ, Rory, Day, Thomas can all touch 180 ball speed. That 5 mph, could be the difference in reaching a par 5, hitting a shorter club you can stop into a tough green, or being able to gear down and hit a 3 wood on a long tight par 4, speed manifests itself in a lot of areas of the game, one can certainly compete without it but it’s difficult to dominate without it unless you’re otherworldly at other aspects like Spieth.

I'm 41 years old and had spinal fusion surgery 2 months ago.

Needless to say, I've been following Tiger's return closely. It makes me cringe seeing him swing so hard - but I love that he his playing well and returning to form. Gives me some hope that I will be able to play again myself.

Bet you're looking forward to swinging it 128 MPH in just a few months!

Seriously though, good luck with the recovery. The doc's have been wanting to do mine since 1982 and I have refused.

They've "finally" gotten a lot better at it after many years of the same old failures over and over again so I'm sure you'll do great.

I wish they'd been this good at it when I was a little younger as I'm not too excited about trying it now that I'm 65.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Ok, no comments please because I'm not listening. Tiger needs to retire and go back to trying to be a navy seal. Or play video games.

Out.

The only thing missing from that idiocy was a #MAGA

I imagine he would replace Cassius with TW....

satan-consuming-judas-from-dantes-inferno.jpg?w=500