2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

WRX'ers who got an Edel Fitting...Did you stick with it?

Z1ggy16

I'm booked for an Edel fitting on the 20th and I'm pretty excited. I'm using a local guy who does a combo of SAM/Edel and he came highly recommended. However, I'm slightly concerned that I won't end up liking an Edel in the long run for 2 main reasons: 1) There's really only a few main shapes. I'm currently in a #7 which I do enjoy the shape of, and 2) The whole 'torque balance' approach doesn't seem to be adopted by any other company and Edel doesn't have a huge presence on the PGA Tour from what I can see. I know in many cases it's the Indian but for some reason if the best in the world aren't playing it... it's a tougher pill to swallow.

Slightly concerned I'm going to go spend $~400 on a custom putter and 2 months from now I won't really like it any more.

I'm booked for an Edel fitting on the 20th and I'm pretty excited. I'm using a local guy who does a combo of SAM/Edel and he came highly recommended. However, I'm slightly concerned that I won't end up liking an Edel in the long run for 2 main reasons: 1) There's really only a few main shapes. I'm currently in a #7 which I do enjoy the shape of, and 2) The whole 'torque balance' approach doesn't seem to be adopted by any other company and Edel doesn't have a huge presence on the PGA Tour from what I can see. I know in many cases it's the Indian but for some reason if the best in the world aren't playing it... it's a tougher pill to swallow.

Slightly concerned I'm going to go spend $~400 on a custom putter and 2 months from now I won't really like it any more.

i was lucky enough to get an Edel fitting back at Trump Philly a couple years ago (luckily for free) -- however, i didn't follow through on the purchase. Ended up going to Club Champion to get on a SAM puttlab, and got my fitting numbers and specs from them -- then purchased a putter that fit those specs.

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Well, thing is... I can get a really nice deal on an Edel if he builds me one. I don't have to buy anything, but the fitting is $175 and he takes it down to $100 if you buy thru him for any putter.

I've gotten 2 fittings before, one at PGATSS and then Club Champ. The Club Champ was on SAM, I got my loft, lie and all that.... but because of being the dreaded lefty, they really had nothing for me there to try that I liked. Made a rookie mistake and purchased a putter that I knew I didn't like, but it "fit" me very well according to SAM. The one at PGATSS was totally opposite.. no SAM at all, but they focused more on alignment and roll on the velvet pad (never did aim on SAM other than my initial aim, and my relative aim to that line on other putters). Didn't buy anything from the PGATSS one because I tend to like "data".

I'm mostly interested i getting the right shape and alignment marks for my eye. I'm fairly confident in my loft/lie/length specs.... and in all honesty, I really just need to get fit... trust it, and hit the greens hard for practice.

PS I'm ditching that Scotty 6M .... hated it. The week prior the #7 I think I had 4-5 less putts over all.

Well, thing is... I can get a really nice deal on an Edel if he builds me one. I don't have to buy anything, but the fitting is $175 and he takes it down to $100 if you buy thru him for any putter.

I've gotten 2 fittings before, one at PGATSS and then Club Champ. The Club Champ was on SAM, I got my loft, lie and all that.... but because of being the dreaded lefty, they really had nothing for me there to try that I liked. Made a rookie mistake and purchased a putter that I knew I didn't like, but it "fit" me very well according to SAM. The one at PGATSS was totally opposite.. no SAM at all, but they focused more on alignment and roll on the velvet pad (never did aim on SAM other than my initial aim, and my relative aim to that line on other putters). Didn't buy anything from the PGATSS one because I tend to like "data".

I'm mostly interested i getting the right shape and alignment marks for my eye. I'm fairly confident in my loft/lie/length specs.... and in all honesty, I really just need to get fit... trust it, and hit the greens hard for practice.

PS I'm ditching that Scotty 6M .... hated it. The week prior the #7 I think I had 4-5 less putts over all.

as a lefty you're pretty much in a bind - you're right -- an Edel fitting with a custom putter would be solid for you. PGATSS putter fittings aren't worth it IMHO.

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

I'm trying to keep an open mind but yeah it is tough when I show up anywhere and they've got like 3 lefty putters. So far I like the #7 shape and feel the best and I've tried almost every "Style" of putter available over the past few years. Anser, wide flange blade, #7, 2 ball, #9, big mallet, Marxman...etc.

Out of every putter I've had I actually putt the best with the Spider Tour but the sound/feel was awful to me.

I did a fitting at Edel's HQ and they have two options, one for their torque balanced line and one for the classic line. I did the classic fitting as the head shapes were more traditional and there were many more neck options to try. The fitting was great but I had an issue with their putter building that led me to canceling that order. I took my general head shape, lie, loft, length, neck (and offset), and alignment aid specs and have had putters built from other putter makers with great results (on the green). I think they're refreshing their classic line this year so I may go back to them and try again on getting a putter built.

Paradym 9° - Ventus Velocore Blue

Apex UW 17°, 21° - Ventus Velocore Red

AI Smoke 4h,5h

AI Smoke HL 6-AW

MD5 54°, 58°

Byron Morgan Epic Day - Rincon Neck - 355g Carbon

Vice Pro Plus

Vessel Lux XV / Vessel Player III DXR

Elaborate if possible? What did you not like about their building? Who else out there builds custom putters?

I'll reply to the first question via PM. As for the second question, there are a whole host of options, some willing to build whatever you can imagine, others that can customize their head options to your needs. Byron Morgan, Mannkrafted, Xenon, Slighter, Kari Lajosi, Piretti, and TP Mills to name a few but there are a bunch more.

AI Smoke 4h,5h

AI Smoke HL 6-AW

MD5 54°, 58°

Vice Pro Plus

I did a fitting at Edel's HQ and they have two options, one for their torque balanced line and one for the classic line. I did the classic fitting as the head shapes were more traditional and there were many more neck options to try. The fitting was great but I had an issue with their putter building that led me to canceling that order. I took my general head shape, lie, loft, length, neck (and offset), and alignment aid specs and have had putters built from other putter makers with great results (on the green). I think they're refreshing their classic line this year so I may go back to them and try again on getting a putter built.

I am scheduled for a HQ fitting in 2 weeks.

Did they guide you to Classic vs. Torque-Balanced based on the fitting process, or did you have to make that choice beforehand?

Did they guide you to Classic vs. Torque-Balanced based on the fitting process, or did you have to make that choice beforehand?

I told them when I scheduled the appointment which one I wanted but they had free time and they actually fitted me for both. Since they are refreshing their classic line, I don't know how that will impact their classic fittings.

AI Smoke 4h,5h

AI Smoke HL 6-AW

MD5 54°, 58°

Vice Pro Plus

I told them when I scheduled the appointment which one I wanted but they had free time and they actually fitted me for both. Since they are refreshing their classic line, I don't know how that will impact their classic fittings.

Thanks. I did not specify anything, but I would like to have the option since all fitters have Torque-balanced it seems, but only a few have Classic.

Great - I finally decide to do this and new stuff is on the horizon. I am going to pretend that I did not hear that.

I went through a local edel certified fitter and it was eye opening to see the differences offset, shapes and lines all make with the putter and aiming. I had recently purchased an evnroll and am happy with the putter so the fitter actually worked on my putter to make it more suitable to me. He cut the shaft down to remove most of the offset and adjusted the lie, we then added one additional sight line and went through the process again and my aim was spot on. Enjoy the process it is really cool

Wish I could speak first hand on this, but I have a close buddy who got fitted for Edel putter and 2 wedges. Two years later they are still in his bag and he speaks very highly of the process.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I got fitted into the Edel torque balanced mallet. I can't say enough good things about the fitting and the putter. I learned so much during the fitting about how I aim and the tendencies that follow in my stroke as a result that the fitting alone without the putter was worth it. The putter however is fantastic. I aim it confidently and now have a nice motion that gets the ball on line. As most of us I have switched out the putter every now and then (I have a classic TeI3 Laguna that I just love the look of and is just a head turner) but the Edel just works better and I go back to it and putt better. I told myself this last time that I would not switch again (yeah, yeah, wishful thinking). Also the round grip is worth a try as well. Good luck hope you find the right putter.

I did an Edel fitting here in the DC area last year and used the putter for most of the year and it really helped my putting. However I didn’t like the hosel I was fit into, I was fit for the backset hosel. I went back in March 9 and the fitter rechecked everything and listened to what I liked and didn’t like. We sent my putter back to have the shaft changed to the center option, where your hands are even with the face and it already feels better.

You don’t have to use the round grip, i had Edel put a Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0 in my putter. They claim that their round grip is easier to aim, but you don’t have to choose that option.

Sean

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 13.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.5
TaylorMade P790 3 w/ HZRDUS Black 85 6.0
Callaway X Forged 4-PW w/ KBS $Taper 120
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610
Swag Savage Too
Taylormade TP5x

I was fitted to an Edel putter about 8 years ago. Honestly it was the best experience I have ever had with a putter fitting. I still use the putter and honestly that is saying something when most clubs rotate weekly. The cb weight is in the shaft so you can change grips if you don’t like the round grip. I was very skeptical when I was going for the fitting but it has improved my lag putting a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

To anybody who was interested:

Got the fitting. Torque balance was just not right for me. It was a very interesting feeling and sensation to swing those putters. My natural stroke wants to let the face open and shut naturally but these just stay totally square the whole time. I think this is why you don't see tons of Edel putters on tour... Guys who've been gaming putters that open and shut would probably have a really hard time converting to this kind of putter.

Also the round grip was pretty odd feeling. All in all, they felt very nice but just weren't for me. Fitter did an excellent job and oddly enough he told me I was in the right putter for my stroke, and that I just need a minor loft and lie adjustment. I was draining 10ft putts once he corrected my set up a bit.. made a huge difference.

Overall he suggested I be in a mallet head, with single offset, 1* loft, 70-71 lie, and 0-15* of toe hang. I was coming into impact most of the time with a slightly open face so he told me to lean toward the 15* side of that spectrum if possible. He said that I could just aim slightly to the right for a straight putt and that would also work with face balance, too.

Please forgive me if I'm incorrect...but You paid $175 for that fitting?

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Pleas forgive me if I'm incorrect...but You paid $175 for that fitting?

$150 but yes. Time is money, and the point of a fitting is to get the best fit for your stroke, IMO. It's not to go randomly buying gear and try to convince yourself that you need it. I spent 90 minutes with him... joking around, telling stories, getting a little mini putting lesson on top of the SAM data. Completely worth it.

I'm all about being properly fit for a putter/any club in the bag. It sounds to me like you were fairly sure you didn't want an edel putter from the get go. Why pay a very premium price to get for for by a company whos putter you don't want? In all fairness you were told some fairly standard information spec wise. Nearly standard specs completely in the end.

I guess my point isnt you wanted your money...it's that you paid a lot to get fit for something you didn't really believe you wanted.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I said I was concerned because it was vastly different, not that I wasn't interested. I did try to keep an open mind but I knew after a few minutes that I probably wasn't going to walk about buying one. Also, it wasn't about the putter itself, but the process. I spent like 45 minutes working on aim, alignment, trying different head styles and line up marks and head weights. Once we kind of determined the Edel stuff just wasn't working for me, the fitting didn't end... he then put me back in my putter and we did a bunch more work. I've never gotten that anywhere else and still paid almost as much.

And I'm close to standard spec, but not exact. Changing the lie and loft made me aim a lot better which on long putts is huge. I was going from the 3.5 loft and 69* lie (measured putter when I walked in the door) aiming about 1'' right of the hole, to only changing the loft and lie, and aiming pretty much dead center on a 10ft putt. The times I wasn't aiming correctlyI had almost no chance of the ball going in from 10ft, let alone 15 or 20.

Although fitting is key...confidence trumps. Your whole initial post reeks of doubt. You were worried that you wouldn't like the shapes...no pros were playing them...and that torquee balance wasnt for real.

In your post after the fitting..torque balance wasnt for you right away. Edel putters weren't for you shortly after.

It really sounds like your subconscious took over during that fitting;)

If I didn't like PING clubs...I wouldn't go to their fitting center.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod